Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
I like the new avatar Rarity.

https://twitter.com/Norwich4JC/status/1200519732086149121?s=20

:kiss: Much as I like RLB Sturgeon had some excellent poise tonight, between this and her relaxed against the podium while dishing out putdowns stance earlier. All three ladies did really well I think actually.

(Swinson isn't a lady, more of a janky embarrassment driven golem of centerism)

On the state spending thing, it's truly extraordinary. Going rock hard for state protectionism and Make Britain Great Again (by loving over your trade partners) ... right when you need to do a trade deal. It'll be overlooked by most of the media and maybe even voters, but it's an astounding anti free trade position from a conservative government. You just have to wonder who they're trying to appeal to with that.

Happy Comrade Thought of the Day: Even if we 'lose' this election, we've already won massive changes in the status quo
https://news.sky.com/story/general-election-why-the-economic-battleground-has-shifted-to-the-left-11873046

E: 407 is Proxy Authentication Required. Make sure the people you give your proxy vote to are trustworthy!
EE: Calling out OwlFancier for not doing the obvious 404: Tory Majority Not Found joke

RockyB fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

big scary monsters posted:

One reason why FART is the better initialism. Anti-TERF can be claimed to be anti-feminist, anti-FART is just anti-transphobe (and also what happens if you eat anti-beans).

anti fart is what happens when the beans go the opposite direction

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

if that society causes people to want to destroy it, that's an indictment of the society, terrorism doesn't happen because one day someone got posessed by loving moon goblins and that just happens to people at random and there's nothing we can do about it.

so the nicaraguan peasants deserved to see their children raped and murdered by the contras? or at the very least the rape and murder was an indictment of their society? how about the koreans and the vietnamese, all those US bombs were an indictment of their society? what about the salafi gangs who took over aleppo and idlib, same story? indictment of those societies?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

the problem for the tories is it comes right back around to: everything is so chronically underfunded that its hosed and he was probably let out on license because they really needed the prison space

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jesus loving christ

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Pencils R Cool posted:

I've just paused New Order for this, now you lot have to suffer too:

https://twitter.com/LordBuckethead/status/1200506137617031168

Personal highlight is 2:04 - 2:18, listen out for the rolled 'r' in Brexit!

Meh, I prefer the Breunion Boys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncHAwux70u8

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jose posted:

the problem for the tories is it comes right back around to: everything is so chronically underfunded that its hosed and he was probably let out on license because they really needed the prison space

And the fact that he probably received nothing in the way of deradicalisation while in prison, and the only fig leaf of protection the public got when he was released was a crappy electronic tag likely run by a private company. It's not that rehabilitative justice has failed, it's that the Tories don't do it.

All the Tories have to defend themselves is promising longer and longer sentences. Which unless all terror-related offences are going to get life just isn't going to hold water.

I really hope Labour goes for the jugular on this. gently caress decorum, they talk bit but their failed policies can't keep their own citizens safe.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Jose posted:

"And Jeremy Corbyn wants to let EVERYONE out of prisons!"

Rarity posted:

Jesus loving christ

Another voice saying your new av is :discourse:

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Rarity posted:

Jesus loving christ

the manchester bomber and his dad were MI6 assets who were ratlined into libya and back to the UK when they'd done the job tbf, the intelligence services are dreadful at keeping track of these people

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ms Adequate posted:

Another voice saying your new av is :discourse:

Thanks Ms A (and everyone!) And big thanks to VG for making it and Mebhin for gifting it :D

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Oh goodie, as if we didn't have enough rightwing shitheads screaming about lefties screaming about #falseflag.

Needs to be spun as massive tory underfunding I guess. I can see it being a big *tough on crime* thing for next Fridays debate.

Also yes, I did deliberately conflate authentication and authorisation in my last post. Shhh.

E:

Oh dear god twitter needs an Unlike, Dislike, loving PURGE button. I am metaphorically and nearly literally vomiting.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 29, 2019

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

jabby posted:

All the Tories have to defend themselves is promising longer and longer sentences. Which unless all terror-related offences are going to get life just isn't going to hold water.

That's not really all they have - they also have the evergreen response of being extremely racist.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
e: lol hosed this up

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I think all the hostile questions about boris's offspring are unseemly. It's so obvious he genuinely just doesn't know whether, how many or mothered by who, children he has, and he is surely too honourable to confess it. who can fault him

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jabby posted:

And the fact that he probably received nothing in the way of deradicalisation while in prison, and the only fig leaf of protection the public got when he was released was a crappy electronic tag likely run by a private company. It's not that rehabilitative justice has failed, it's that the Tories don't do it.

I really hope Labour goes for the jugular on this. gently caress decorum, they talk bit but their failed policies can't keep their own citizens safe.

Good job nae oval office in the press will hold them to account eh?

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

it always turns out these dipshits were known to the security services, doesn't it. whatever the strategy is it doesn't seem to be working, i suggest maybe trying something else.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

That's not really all they have - they also have the evergreen response of being extremely racist.

Of course. But they can't handwave this one away with a line about more random stop and search. He was a known danger.

Labour can go after:

- A prison system that offers nothing to deradicalize prisoners, and often makes them worse.
- A parole system that isn't fit for purpose, and can't identify dangerous people.
- Post-release monitoring that offers only the illusion of security.
- Overcrowded prisons leading to pressure to release people early.
- 20,000 less police on the streets.

We don't know yet what this guy was convicted for, but unless the Tories are proposing mandatory whole-life terms for whatever it was their argument about sentencing is going to crumble. The guy went into this wanting to get shot, a few more years inside would've just delayed the inevitable.

forkboy84 posted:

Good job nae oval office in the press will hold them to account eh?

Of course not, that's why Labour has to hammer the Tories on this in speeches, interviews, and the TV debates.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1200543608635572225?s=20

This gets even weirder

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

okay what the gently caress

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

gh0stpinballa posted:

it always turns out these dipshits were known to the security services, doesn't it. whatever the strategy is it doesn't seem to be working, i suggest maybe trying something else.
You could give them a fake explosive belt and set them up on a suicide mission so they get shot before anyone finds out you hosed up.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Holy poo poo.

Don't think one of the 'heroes' being a murderer on day release helps the Tory line about tougher sentences for violent crime.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Wait, so the guy was on day release, the guy who tackled him is also a murderer and may very well have been throwing away actual coke in that baggie. Jesus loving... what?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Were... were they both going to the same conference?

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Okay come the gently caress on this is just a satirical theatre troupe who were trying to film a farce, but it went too far, right?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Josef bugman posted:

Wait, so the guy was on day release, the guy who tackled him is also a murderer and may very well have been throwing away actual coke in that baggie. Jesus loving... what?

Great Britain is a land of contrasting shades of hosed up.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

2019 :shrug:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

jabby posted:

Of course. But they can't handwave this one away with a line about more random stop and search. He was a known danger.
I was thinking more along the lines of going in on some more Islamophobia. Landing a few rhetorical kicks on Muslims is always good for some positive headlines.

lol what is going on.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

RockyB posted:

Okay come the gently caress on this is just a satirical theatre troupe who were trying to film a farce, but it went too far, right?

I hear they call themselves The Aristocrats.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Alright, I now buy that we’re living in a simulation, and it’s been running for far too long.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

Holy poo poo balls, this is seat edge stuff.

Murders stopping murderers,?

Fucks up a potential Tory "grr murders to blame" spin.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
My dad has seen this and he's currently screaming about how Corbyn will "let all the terrorists in and give them everything" as if this is his fault somehow. It's unbelievable just how deep the brain worms run in some people.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

e; pass.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
gently caress me what is going on?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a murder conviction is a good guy with a murder conviction.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Just noticed this line on the Mail front page: "Others chased terrorist with fire extinguishers" and I know 2 people died but it's an image from a slapstick comedy. I'm imagining the people chasing him are Eddie Hitler & Richie Richard.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Just noticed this line on the Mail front page: "Others chased terrorist with fire extinguishers" and I know 2 people died but it's an image from a slapstick comedy. I'm imagining the people chasing him are Eddie Hitler & Richie Richard.

Don't be silly.

https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/1200530693614395393

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Braggart posted:

Okay cool. My personal view is that it is acceptable to use lethal force if it is necessary to protect people's lives. But I don't think it's necessary as often as the police seem to. What about the fact that police officers never get any real punishment for unnecessary killings they perpetrate? What about the fact that the police invariably argue that any killings they perform were justified, going so far as to lie about the victims and even plant evidence? My view of this is that it's wise to maintain a healthy skepticism about what the police say, because they lie to protect each other constantly. Be skeptical, and have independent investigations that the police can't lean on. If they are being honest, they will be vindicated. But if they are lying, they should be immediately suspended and a criminal investigation should proceed. In fact, I approve of immediate suspension from duty on suspicion, because having just killed someone they could probably use some time off and some mental health support. And also just in case they are a danger. That's what the investigation should determine.

At the moment we have a system that closes ranks whenever a cop gets in trouble, regardless of whether they did something wrong. Witnesses are intimidated, the press stridently blares support for the police and demonises the victims, and the justice process is perverted by whatever means the police have available to them, which is a lot. I think it's impossible for a cop to have a fair hearing in these kinds of circumstances. And sadly for the public, the result is that no cop is ever properly punished, so there is little incentive for them to improve their conduct. Why do minorities hate the police? Because they know all this, and they know they are disproportionately the victims.

I don't think the current system is good for anyone, even the police.

I agree with you here, it is a disgrace how the police behave when they get something wrong and we really really need to punish bad actors and liars when they are found out.

Braggart posted:

So, willie_dee, you haven't responded to this post of mine. I'm sure you're going to, but I thought I might add that earlier today you were discussing the case of Marc Alexander Ringland, who was shot dead while attempting to rob a petrol station in Belfast. Crispix linked a BBC article that stated:

You then quoted from a newsletter.co.uk article about the inquest into Ringland's death:

So yes, the DVD showed that he did that, but that says nothing about the moment when he was shot. That is further down the article:

Which matches what Vincent Kearney said in the BBC article quoted above as the version of events that was less favourable to the police. To contrast them:

So in fact the inquest found against what the officer had claimed but nonetheless exhonerated them:

No punishment for making statements not backed up by the CCTV, and a demonstration of the police making inaccurate claims about a fatal shooting in favour of the officer who did it. The victim was misrepresented by the police, and nothing came of it.

I didn't know about a lot of this until I started digging into it today. It's been quite interesting. Here's my question to you after all of that:

In this case, there were 2 different accounts of what happened. What motivation would people caught up in this incident have to falsify an account that could incriminate the officer who saved them? And what motivation could the police have to falsify an account that would protect the officer who did the shooting? Which of these happened that day?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I just think you should reconsider how much you trust the police :)

I don't trust the Police

kustomkarkommando posted:

The police ombudsman is an independent political appointed oversight body seperate from the police proper you know, they are specifically tasked with investigating all complaints against the police as the PSNI are explicitly not allowed to and the ombudsman is overseen by the executive (which includes parties who have a bit of history with the police).

The ombudsman described the footage as such in his final report:

I mean we have an completely independent police investigation unit which frequently pokes it's nose in on things the police would much rather they didn't

The footage shows the man raise his knife after being told to drop it and advancing on him. He was shot by a police officer who was in fear for his life. Entirely acceptable.

Could it be argued that in the adrenaline of killing someone he made up some rubbish about having a cashier at knife point? Probably not. But I'd want to see his statement in comparison to the DVD footage rather than having a sensationalist reporter say what he said he said.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Okay, this can stop now. It's beyond surreal.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
British spies face millions of budget cuts. Piece from 2013

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/10140310/British-spies-face-millions-of-budget-cuts.html

quote:

Millions of pounds will be cut from MI5, MI6 and GCHQ budgets despite MPs warning they are badly overworked.

The news comes days after George Osborne announced he would protect the police's counter-terrorism budget, ahead of tomorrow's Spending Review for 2015-16.

Cuts to the three top organisations could be as much as 5 per cent off their budget after inflation.

It could take overall national security cuts to 17 per cent since the coalition came into power.

Senior Labour MP Hazel Blears, a member of the Commons Intelligence and Security Committee, told The Sun: "It is a concern if agencies' budgets are cut significantly.

etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Rarity posted:

Radio 4 can gently caress right off

More like the making GBS threads forecast :newlol: