Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
If my ancient motherboard's support page doesn't show any Win10-compatible drivers is it fair to assume it's, well, incompatible with Windows 10? I'm slowly gearing up to upgrade from Win7 because of the upcoming January deadline but it only just now occurred to me this might be an issue. I'm not really in a position to just buy a completely new system (mb/cpu/ram), I figured I'd use the opportunity to just get an SSD and do a clean install, and keep the rest. But I'm a little wary now of running into issues and I can't find any confirmation of whether or not this motherboard is compatible.

I suppose I could try it anyway once I buy the SSD and if it doesn't work just re-connect my current HD and figure out my next move from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Glare Seethe posted:

If my ancient motherboard's support page doesn't show any Win10-compatible drivers is it fair to assume it's, well, incompatible with Windows 10? I'm slowly gearing up to upgrade from Win7 because of the upcoming January deadline but it only just now occurred to me this might be an issue. I'm not really in a position to just buy a completely new system (mb/cpu/ram), I figured I'd use the opportunity to just get an SSD and do a clean install, and keep the rest. But I'm a little wary now of running into issues and I can't find any confirmation of whether or not this motherboard is compatible.

I suppose I could try it anyway once I buy the SSD and if it doesn't work just re-connect my current HD and figure out my next move from there.

Odds are the drivers are all in there and you don't need to do anything.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You can also get more current drivers from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

But most likely, Windows will install everything automatically with such an old platform.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
All right, thanks, that makes me feel a little more confident about dragging this 10-year-old system onward for a bit longer still. Some day my hand will be forced and I'll have to splurge on new hardware but hopefully I can delay that as much as possible.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Many of Nirsoft's tools trigger malware/virus scanners due to the nature of what the tools do.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Lambert posted:

It's also a legitimate tool, so you could have used that as well. But it does trigger some malware scanners.

I didn't mean to imply that it was and am thankful for your help. I was just doing some due diligence looking it up before running it and happend to come across the post I linked.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

stevewm posted:

Many of Nirsoft's tools trigger malware/virus scanners due to the nature of what the tools do.
Yeah, defender categorizes it as a 'hacking tool'. It's unfortunate, because Nirsoft stuff can be super useful.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Anybody have Windows 10 running in HDR mode? I got a nice new Oled TV and the PS4 runs in HDR mode without any tinkering. When I select the HDR option it switches back after the screen flickers a little. No message or anything.

For anyone else who might come across this in the future, I had to set my receiver's HDMI mode to "enhanced" for it to pass the 4K HDR option to Windows.

The colors are all washed out, so it is pretty unusable on the desktop though.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

For anyone else who might come across this in the future, I had to set my receiver's HDMI mode to "enhanced" for it to pass the 4K HDR option to Windows.

The colors are all washed out, so it is pretty unusable on the desktop though.

That's normal for windows, their HDR support is intended only for games and videos. Also, some games require the windows 10 HDR toggle to be set to off in order to work in HDR (Hitman 2, Destiny 2 for example).

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have another question for anyone who might be able to assist. The win10 start menu is absolute garbage and keeps crashing where I am working. I am trying to find a replacement for it and I would like one that does not ask you to configure it each time you log on somewhere else.

I would like one that is a single install for all users. Does anyone know of one that would do this?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

That's normal for windows, their HDR support is intended only for games and videos. Also, some games require the windows 10 HDR toggle to be set to off in order to work in HDR (Hitman 2, Destiny 2 for example).

Yeah, I found this out after researching it some more. Now I just have HDR for apps and some other stuff it seems.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Yeah, I found this out after researching it some more. Now I just have HDR for apps and some other stuff it seems.

Some games do require the Windows setting to he enabled (Forza Horizon 4, Star Wars Fallen Order), there's no standard way of doing things and you essentially have to do research on a per game basis, it really sucks.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

VideoGames posted:

I have another question for anyone who might be able to assist. The win10 start menu is absolute garbage and keeps crashing where I am working. I am trying to find a replacement for it and I would like one that does not ask you to configure it each time you log on somewhere else.

I would like one that is a single install for all users. Does anyone know of one that would do this?

Yes, the windows 10 start menu is utter poo poo. I've always been a fan of classic shell, looks like it was discontinued and then continued as open shell

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

Yes, the windows 10 start menu is utter poo poo. I've always been a fan of classic shell, looks like it was discontinued and then continued as open shell

I did try open shell on one of the machines, but every time someone new logs in it wants them to configure it before use. I need something that just works from base admin config installation.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

VideoGames posted:

Something is broken in your OS. This is not normal behavior. Instead of trying to replace something that is at the core of the interface, maybe try and figure out what's actually broken/reload the OS.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Also your users are probably used to the W10 start menu by now.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Sri.Theo posted:

Also your users are probably used to the W10 start menu by now.

They would if it worked 100% of the time.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Something is broken in your OS. This is not normal behavior. Instead of trying to replace something that is at the core of the interface, maybe try and figure out what's actually broken/reload the OS.

How on earth do I find out what is causing it? It is random and intermittent. Not always the same accounts, not always the same PC. Never had this issue with any OS before 10.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Thank you for beta testing Windows 10.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

What do you mean by it crashing? If it's on a work network, is it possible something is blocking it on the network, as it does web searches as standard?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What do you mean by it crashing? If it's on a work network, is it possible something is blocking it on the network, as it does web searches as standard?

Sorry crashing is probably the wrong word. What I mean is that sometimes, after logon, pressing the windows key or using the mouse to click on the windows start icon will cause nothing to happen. No matter how long you wait, it never appears. You have to log off and log back on again. It is random in every sense of the word. Across 300 pcs and 200 laptops the time, the user, the system is random and intermittent.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That’s hosed up. I have Windows 10 across just as many machines and my users are extremely noisy about poo poo that doesn’t work and I haven’t seen that at all. All HP models and Windows 10 Pro.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

VideoGames posted:

Sorry crashing is probably the wrong word. What I mean is that sometimes, after logon, pressing the windows key or using the mouse to click on the windows start icon will cause nothing to happen. No matter how long you wait, it never appears. You have to log off and log back on again. It is random in every sense of the word. Across 300 pcs and 200 laptops the time, the user, the system is random and intermittent.

I have also noticed this from time to time on our PCs. I don’t know how to fix it either. You’re not crazy though.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

VideoGames posted:

Sorry crashing is probably the wrong word. What I mean is that sometimes, after logon, pressing the windows key or using the mouse to click on the windows start icon will cause nothing to happen. No matter how long you wait, it never appears. You have to log off and log back on again. It is random in every sense of the word.

Start menu is actually a separate UWP app in win10, not part of the explorer shell. So you can look through the event viewer for "Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost" to check if it's a logged problem the next time that happens.

VideoGames posted:

Across 300 pcs and 200 laptops the time, the user, the system is random and intermittent.

So are you in a managed environment? If you can push group policies to all your machines, maybe try disabling web search in start?

I've had a lot of problems with start and the other UWP shell apps which I've posed about ad nauseum, but for me it has always been working or completely broken. Never intermittent.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Are you doing anything weird in the system image? I've read about how those powershell scripts that remove the Windows 10 "bloat" can cause all sorts of issues.

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

This exact thing happened to me just today at work. I was able to fix it by restarting explorer.exe, not much of a help but it's better than logging out I guess.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Same issue with a W10 install on an old Ivy Bridge box. Luckily, the board died before I looked into it any more, a bonus.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

VideoGames posted:

I did try open shell on one of the machines, but every time someone new logs in it wants them to configure it before use. I need something that just works from base admin config installation.

I agree with other people that you should focus on fixing the normal Win10 start menu, but there is a solution for this problem. You can configure the basic settings that you want for users, then copy the Open Shell registry settings to the ntuser.dat of the default profile(s), and copy it to the registry hives for existing users. When I switched to Open Shell for our VDI environment I used PowerShell scripts to do that.

You could also enforce the registry settings through group policy, but then users won't be able to change Open Shell settings you've configured.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

In my experience every single issue with the start menu can be resolved by disabling Cortana.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Weedle posted:

I have also noticed this from time to time on our PCs. I don’t know how to fix it either. You’re not crazy though.

There's an actual Start menu process in Task Manager (called "Start") that you can kill to try to kick the start menu back to life. Whenever I get new NVIDIA drivers, the start menu always invariably dies, but killing that process brings it back to life for me.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
When setting up a new computer, is there a sort of grace period I have until I need to activate Windows 10? I want to use my old product key but I still need that computer while setting up the new one for transferring files and backing up things I'll need.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Incessant Excess posted:

When setting up a new computer, is there a sort of grace period I have until I need to activate Windows 10? I want to use my old product key but I still need that computer while setting up the new one for transferring files and backing up things I'll need.

If you don't mind being locked out of some settings (like choosing your desktop wallpaper through the settings menu), it'll keep running without being activated.
Just skip entering the key during setup and then later click the change product key button in one of the places it says it's not activated.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Geemer posted:

If you don't mind being locked out of some settings (like choosing your desktop wallpaper through the settings menu), it'll keep running without being activated.

Do you mean indefinitely? Surely they must lock you out of more features than that eventually, or is it the updates you don't get?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Incessant Excess posted:

Do you mean indefinitely? Surely they must lock you out of more features than that eventually, or is it the updates you don't get?

Nope. You get updates and they don't cripple it more than personalization, only a watermark on the desktop & notification spam bugging you to activate.

The eternity-minus-one-day grace period for using win7 keys to get activations should tell you how concerned they are about getting $100 out of every home user. They've done the calculus and found that locking pirates out of updates does more damage to their ecosystem than they make from the few extra people they convince to buy.

Besides, as long as every OEM computer comes with a license the OEM had to buy from MS, that's 99.9% of PCs that they make money from.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 29, 2019

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'm building a whole new pc and I planned to use a Windows 7 key to get Windows 10. My current rig had Windows 7, and then I did the free Windows 10 upgrade a few years ago.

I used ProduKey to show me what my key is, and it's showing me a Windows 10 home key instead of a Windows 7 key. Could I use that key to get Windows 10 on a new PC?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I've used my Windows 7 key to activate 10 on three different PCs now.

edit: Consecutively, not simultaneously.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

An install that was upgraded from 7 or 8 will show some generic fake key that is not an actual Windows 10 key.

Edit: yeah post above is right, so you gain nothing by not using the 7 key.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

In other words, the key I'm seeing now is useless, pick up another 7 key for cheap?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
You can also just get a Windows 10 Pro key on ebay for like $5. Whenever I put together a system, this is usually what I do. I mean, it's less than the cost of lunch!

Never had a problem with it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Just buy a windows pro key for $3 off of ebay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

You can go through the rigmarole of linking your digital license to a Microsoft account and transfer it to the new device, but with the prices it's barely worth your time.