Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Fully sexual Wilson.

gently caress I ALREADY NAMED MY POKÉMON CHAR.

Edit: lol I thought this was the meme thread but I stand by my post

There’s been some really weird overlap (Radiohead sticks out) in the last couple weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

I started my new job! Holy poo poo it’s a million times better than anywhere I’ve worked. We get free coffee every morning from the roaster that we sell macarons to. The last half of my shift is just all the bakers testing new products and tasting all of them, so I’m getting paid to socialize and eat and give recipe criticisms. Everybody helps each other out and keeps things clean, it’s such a wildly different environment. However it was a bit awkward when one of the girls asked how she knew who I was and I had to remind her that we had gone out on a couple dates a few years ago (in her defense I had a shaved head and was pretty butch/androgynous at the time). Also one of my superiors was a girl who called me a poser goth and threatened to burn down my house with the power of satan in middle school. We cool now, I just found it funny.

Anyway, poo poo is way better, it just won’t be full time for another month because the opening date for the storefront was pushed back a month due to the elevator not being service.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
After a whirlwind of chaos and bullshit for the past two months, I am (sort of) among you. I will be cooking for an assisted living facility starting on Monday. It's a lot like home cooking, but with more mouths to feed. Not much is being made to order; we keep to a menu, with substitutions for allergies as necessary. Wish me luck.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I apologize for your series of poor life choices that lead to the service industry.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Bussamove posted:

I apologize for your series of poor life choices that lead to the service industry.

Thank you. They hired me on the spot and I desperately need a job so 🤷‍♀️ I'll get out eventually.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Welcome to the machine.

Try not to develop too much of a drinking habit.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
In 12 days I'll be off for 20 days. I'm almost more excited about that than the wedding/honeymoon.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

After a whirlwind of chaos and bullshit for the past two months, I am (sort of) among you. I will be cooking for an assisted living facility starting on Monday. It's a lot like home cooking, but with more mouths to feed. Not much is being made to order; we keep to a menu, with substitutions for allergies as necessary. Wish me luck.

You can do it, friend. 💜
In hospital food news. The "Flank" (flat iron) steak is being taken off our menu. At some point. Because it costs to much. And also because our call center is dumb and keeps letting people order two of them on one ($6, that's the set price for meals I think) ticket. And also the nurses keep telling patients they can put two people's worth of food on one ticket.

Really I just blame the nurses that keep telling people these things. They are the enemy. Much like FoH. I kid ilu all 💜

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Thank you. They hired me on the spot and I desperately need a job so 🤷‍♀️ I'll get out eventually.

Lol

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I believe in you friendo, but I said the same thing 4 years ago.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

*very Ian Mckellen as Gandalf voice*

Fly you fool.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I'll get out eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1o3koTLWM

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I don't know if this is too morbid or depressing but has anyone had a favorite restaurant or place that ending up failing through no actual faults on the business side?

Back when I was a kid a frozen custard shop opened up in an area with no other frozen custard shops for like 50 miles, so it did gangbusters, maintained it's quality reputation, and for a decade+ was busy every weekend with lines out the door.

It was a true family place, the older kids worked as employees (I hope they got paid) they had a theme of certain specialty flavors on certain days and you could buy a simple little cheap magnetic calendar or was free if you bought like $20 worth of ice cream. They had a massive food challenge and a wall of champions too. The best part of it was that it was right next door to a Five Guys and a pretty nice Thai restaurant. It was dessert central for 2 fairly busy restaurants.

Then the divorce came, and the first fallout was them selling the shop to a third party as they couldn't work together and couldn't afford to buy the other out. It went from a outstanding place to a decent by the numbers shop just keeping standards consistent and not doing anything special. It ended up closing a few years later, never found out why.

Kind of sucks that something as fundamental as a single personal relationship falling apart is enough to ruin a thriving business.

edit: Actually now looking into it I was wrong about the closing and is apparently still a success, that was all second hand from people who lived there while I hadn't been back in years. They changed up the name completely so I probably just got confused. When you google the old name, one of the top results is an article from 2010 about the great successful family business, but the first business link is to a completely different name and says their logo has "Established 2015".

pentyne fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 24, 2019

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
My grandmother was best friends with the owner of a really good burger joint we'd go to all the time when I was a kid. They'd just opened a second location across town when the owner died; couldn't tell you what happened, this was over 20 years ago. The second location didn't last long but the first one is still going strong, I like taking dates there. I don't get special treatment and I don't expect it, I just have a lot of happy memories at that place so I like giving them money.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

pentyne posted:

I don't know if this is too morbid or depressing but has anyone had a favorite restaurant or place that ending up failing through no actual faults on the business side?

Back when I was a kid a frozen custard shop opened up in an area with no other frozen custard shops for like 50 miles, so it did gangbusters, maintained it's quality reputation, and for a decade+ was busy every weekend with lines out the door.

It was a true family place, the older kids worked as employees (I hope they got paid) they had a theme of certain specialty flavors on certain days and you could buy a simple little cheap magnetic calendar or was free if you bought like $20 worth of ice cream. They had a massive food challenge and a wall of champions too. The best part of it was that it was right next door to a Five Guys and a pretty nice Thai restaurant. It was dessert central for 2 fairly busy restaurants.

Then the divorce came, and the first fallout was them selling the shop to a third party as they couldn't work together and couldn't afford to buy the other out. It went from a outstanding place to a decent by the numbers shop just keeping standards consistent and not doing anything special. It ended up closing a few years later, never found out why.

Kind of sucks that something as fundamental as a single personal relationship falling apart is enough to ruin a thriving business.

edit: Actually now looking into it I was wrong about the closing and is apparently still a success, that was all second hand from people who lived there while I hadn't been back in years. They changed up the name completely so I probably just got confused. When you google the old name, one of the top results is an article from 2010 about the great successful family business, but the first business link is to a completely different name and says their logo has "Established 2015".

This was a beautiful journey

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

pentyne posted:

Does 'the business side' include 'corporate sold off the brand and the company they sold it to decided to close down every location' because that happened to a good burrito place in my college town. All the employees came in that morning and there were lawyers there saying 'hey you don't have a job anymore'.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Does 'the business side' include 'corporate sold off the brand and the company they sold it to decided to close down every location' because that happened to a good burrito place in my college town. All the employees came in that morning and there were lawyers there saying 'hey you don't have a job anymore'.

But make sure to always give 2 weeks notice before quitting! *wet fart sounds*

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Resting Lich Face posted:

Welcome to the machine.

Try not to develop too much of a drinking habit.

No promises.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Always fun when your closing sous calls to tell you he is in the hospital with alcohol poisoning. 18 hour shift, here we come!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

So, those of you playing along at home might recall my saying that when I left my job, I'd be dropping a dime on their completely unsafe, insane practices. The straw that finally broke JDs back was getting scheduled to close on a Friday (meaning I'd get out at 1:30am) and opening on a Saturday (9am). When I complained, the asst mgr that makes the schedule straight up lied to me about "oh, the owner must've changed that."

And while I know that's somewhat typical for industry, Im 45 years old and can't deal with that poo poo. My knees are shot, I've lost a good deal of my hearing, and I've been literally crying in pain from the bursitis/RSI of the job.

For the first time in 20 years, I no-call/no-showed for a job. (The last time was when I was a vet assistant, and, after reaching in to clean a dog cage located above my head, realized I just stuck my hand into a pile of dog jizz, said "why the gently caress am I subjecting myself to this for $6.25/hr?")

Anyways: SHOULD I make good on my SA industry thread promise to drop a dime on this place, or will that get me blacklisted from another job? Like, I'm not opposed to another industry job --- just one that isn't infested with roaches, "rinses" the raw chicken in the triple sink, and gets a shrug from the owner when the hood vent keeps failing because of an electrical breaker issue. I'm not even getting into the every Wednesday (which I was always scheduled for) practice of "cleaning" underneath the fryers that threatened to burn me like that infamous Canadian PSA.

And if so, who do I call first?

Sorry for the novel-length post. I'm so loving tired and just needed to vent (in, ya know, a place that actually has a fully functioning vent hood)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

So, those of you playing along at home might recall my saying that when I left my job, I'd be dropping a dime on their completely unsafe, insane practices. The straw that finally broke JDs back was getting scheduled to close on a Friday (meaning I'd get out at 1:30am) and opening on a Saturday (9am). When I complained, the asst mgr that makes the schedule straight up lied to me about "oh, the owner must've changed that."

And while I know that's somewhat typical for industry, Im 45 years old and can't deal with that poo poo. My knees are shot, I've lost a good deal of my hearing, and I've been literally crying in pain from the bursitis/RSI of the job.

For the first time in 20 years, I no-call/no-showed for a job. (The last time was when I was a vet assistant, and, after reaching in to clean a dog cage located above my head, realized I just stuck my hand into a pile of dog jizz, said "why the gently caress am I subjecting myself to this for $6.25/hr?")

Anyways: SHOULD I make good on my SA industry thread promise to drop a dime on this place, or will that get me blacklisted from another job? Like, I'm not opposed to another industry job --- just one that isn't infested with roaches, "rinses" the raw chicken in the triple sink, and gets a shrug from the owner when the hood vent keeps failing because of an electrical breaker issue. I'm not even getting into the every Wednesday (which I was always scheduled for) practice of "cleaning" underneath the fryers that threatened to burn me like that infamous Canadian PSA.

And if so, who do I call first?

Sorry for the novel-length post. I'm so loving tired and just needed to vent (in, ya know, a place that actually has a fully functioning vent hood)

Anonymously reporting them to the health department/labor board/OSHA won't get you in trouble

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Seconding the health department anon tip.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Drop that anonymous dime for the safety of their customers.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

pentyne posted:

Bakery I worked at for years the owner got diagnosed with brain cancer had to have surgery to remove the tumor and reconstructive surgery after the fact. I kept the whole place running while he was recovering.
After the surgery his whole personality changed. Our season was winding down anyways near the end of the year and I came into work one day ready to get everything going for the week and he told me that I wouldn't be needed next season(we sold everything at farmers markets)
I packed my poo poo up and left in a huff ended up landing a gig at a Michelin starred place.
That next summer one of the delivery guys at the new place was one of the same guys that delivered to the old place he told me the whole place hadn't been doing well since I left.
The next day I had a voice mail from old boss asking if I'd consider coming back I never returned that fuckers call.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
If they were loving up their accounting to dodge taxes and you have pretty direct knowledge (without participating) you may also be able to be an IRS whistleblower. This is very complex and involves filling out complex bureaucratic paperwork, but there's a slim chance of a bounty if everything qualifies. In terms of getting them sunk, state health dept is usually the strongest, fastest response. You may also be able to report employment and wage fuckery to state agencies, but that varies.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 28, 2019

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
In less important news, people keep ordering poo poo five minutes before close and it's really annoying.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Those are my favorites. Especially last minute steaks or salmon.

Good luck folk working today.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I haven't had to work Thanksgiving for about 3 years now I still tell my family I can't come cause I have to work.

Making lasagna today maybe focaccia too.

Pouring one out for my homies.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I can't imagine it- I feel guilty showing up at a place an hour and a half before close.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hospital, patients and staff gotta eat. Visitors too.

Sweet sweet triple pay helps.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Manuel Calavera posted:

Those are my favorites. Especially last minute steaks or salmon.

Good luck folk working today.

This, good luck to everyone today.

Discendo Vox posted:

I can't imagine it- I feel guilty showing up at a place an hour and a half before close.

90 minutes is completely fine. Seriously. It's a business with posted hours, unless you're trying to walk into a place with a coursed tasting menu or fine dining where reservations are the norm, 90 minutes before close is no issue.

60 minutes is fine 95% of the time. 30 minutes, I'd probably plan on a to go order and either show up in person to gauge how close to shut down they are, or maybe ask the hostess if it's not too late.

Less than 30 minutes before close, probably better to find somewhere else that's open later unless you know they're usually ready to go right up until close (there's a pub near me that has a kitchen open until 12 - people will order right up to 11:55 because the bar is open until 2, and it's not an issue)

5 minutes before close sucks for everyone but the owners. What's almost worse are the people who will camp a table for an hour after close because they're enjoying their special night, oblivious to the fact that the only people left are staff and everything has been shut down around them.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

quote:

What's almost worse are the people who will camp a table for an hour after close because they're enjoying their special night, oblivious to the fact that the only people left are staff and everything has been shut down around them.

I've been with a group like that once, going out to an AYCE sushi place for my birthday, and yeah it's kinda awkward to be a part of that. In that particular situation I was the one trying to put a foot in people's asses to get them going and out the door, specifically to avoid being exactly that. Definitely no fun for like, half the people who're done and wanna jet, so I can only imagine how frustrating it's gotta be on the other end.

In any case, for those who're working today, from a retail dork to restaurant people, I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible. Good luck.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
This year I'm thankful for the AGM that can barely cook but follows directions really well, cause yesterday was chaos and I needed an extra pair of hands

the 6-top that came in literally fifteen minutes to close can go gently caress themselves though

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
We had a booking of 50 people today for an office party/xmas dinner. They were due to arrive at 5.45, starters at 6, mains 6.30, etc.

They rolled up at 8 PM when we had about 30 other covers booked plus walk ins, without so much as a quick call to let us know they'd be late. Pricks.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Raikiri posted:

We had a booking of 50 people today for an office party/xmas dinner. They were due to arrive at 5.45, starters at 6, mains 6.30, etc.

They rolled up at 8 PM when we had about 30 other covers booked plus walk ins, without so much as a quick call to let us know they'd be late. Pricks.

"Sorry, your reservation was at 5:45 and we can't hold a large group for more than about 20 minutes! We'll try to seat you as soon as possible. Does one of you have a phone number we can call in about 90 minutes?"

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Naelyan posted:

"Sorry, your reservation was at 5:45 and we can't hold a large group for more than about 20 minutes! We'll try to seat you as soon as possible. Does one of you have a phone number we can call in about 90 minutes?"

Unfortunately, we have an upstairs area used purely for large bookings/private parties. My main issue was that the Xmas dinner (basically the same as Thanksgiving in the US, Turkey, all the trimmings etc.) wasn't nearly as good as it should have been, as we ended up having to hold a lot of stuff for 1.5-2h.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Naelyan posted:

I think the problem is that usually corporate functions book out a block of time, i.e. 5:45-10:45 or whatever. Those seats are paid for during that period of time whether they're being occupied or not, and the party figured they could show up whenever which left the kitchen inundated with tickets because whoever was in charge of reservations dropped the ball.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Coasterphreak posted:

I think the problem is that usually corporate functions book out a block of time, i.e. 5:45-10:45 or whatever. Those seats are paid for during that period of time whether they're being occupied or not, and the party figured they could show up whenever which left the kitchen inundated with tickets because whoever was in charge of reservations dropped the ball.

This. It really feels like this was a communication mistake, not an intentional screw you. 5:45 to start a corporate dinner is very early, that would have seemed a little off to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The Apple Cup, and the fact I was the only one scheduled for it, can lick me.

No drink November is hard you guys.