Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Owlbear Camus posted:

:capitalism:

It's harder to "monetize" a game you just sell people and let them play and enjoy, instead of the usual multiplayer skinner box where they need to gamble to get the gun or skin they want. They had to try it every other way they thought was going to let them milk nerds to buy virtual scratch off tickets before landing on the correct way to make a game.

That's a good point. I only played the most recent Battlefront game for an hour before I hit up Microsoft for a refund. I'm really hoping this game makes EA see how dumb it is to make us continuously pay for poo poo that should definitely just be in the game from the start. It won't but I'm an optimistic nerf herder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

That's a good point. I only played the most recent Battlefront game for an hour before I hit up Microsoft for a refund. I'm really hoping this game makes EA see how dumb it is to make us continuously pay for poo poo that should definitely just be in the game from the start. It won't but I'm an optimistic nerf herder.

If an EA executive had to read your post they would just see a blank space because their minds don’t work that way.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Biplane posted:

If an EA executive had to read your post they would just see a blank space because their minds don’t work that way.

All they would see is ”I only played the most recent Battlefront” and then they would be highfiving themselves for catching one more dumbass.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

All EA will see is that it sold a lot and commission a sequel with shoehorned in multiplayer combat with a load of microtransactions and pay-to-win shortcut packs

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Just make a lightsaber game like For Honor, get someone capable to make it fun and then charge for pink sabers. Capitalism and consumer win.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

jisforjosh posted:

All EA will see is that it sold a lot and commission a sequel with shoehorned in multiplayer combat with a load of microtransactions and pay-to-win shortcut packs

Wanna use the force to jerk Cal off? That'll be 15 credits!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I've never seen a Jedi do the tap on the shoulder prank which seems wrong

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Finished it today. I really enjoyed it.
Couple of thoughts:
* It made me want to replay the KOTOR series.
*Kind of wish you could stay with a single saber design.
*[spoiler]The giant bat fight reminded me of the cool parts of Dad of War. Nearly as good as fighting the dragon there.
* The last stage in the Empire place, the boss fights, and the Vader cameo were all excellent.
* Missed opportunity for a "Jedi Robe" poncho on Ilum, even if it was the same shape but had a robe texture.
* Pretty much all of the vision on Bogano was excellent. Illuminating a red saber, the climbing/crawling part, everything.

* Should've taken more after Devil May Cry than Dark Souls.
* Can't wait for a sequel.
* Honestly done with Cal, though. I hope they do get another actor to portray the main character in the next game. It adds a cool cinematic quality to it.
* Me: "there needs to be more saber fights", Also Me: *pushes Inquisitors off ledges every chance I get*
* Puzzles were actually really good.
* The best map in recent memory. Learn to read it. It's really amazing.
* Music was great. The cues form the OT soundtrack hit at the perfect moment.
* The force powers in this game compared to say... Force Unleashed were super underwhelming. Push felt good. The others I hardly used.
* The droid in this game is almost as adorable as Baby Yoda.
* Considering how intricate and long the secret paths are that lead to strictly cosmetics is honestly silly sometimes. There were jumping puzzles, optional bosses, etc. in places where you go WAY OFF the path and it leads to a skin for the ship. :shrug: I don't agree that they should have had stats, but I don't know, maybe more cosmetics? Different outfits? Hairstyles? I don't know.
* Cere's Lightsaber + Blaster style she used briefly was so drat cool.
* The parry timing is so loving off. I just resorted to blocking in the last quarter of the game. Honestly almost as good.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 30, 2019

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If you figure out how to parry certain creatures you kill them instantly without having to deal with their bullshit so it's very much worth taking the time to come to grips with it.

The giant spider thing and the dufus ogre creature on Kashyyyk come to mind. Also that Deathclaw looking motherfucker on Dathomir goes down hard when you parry his attack three times in a row.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If anything I found the parry window pretty generous

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Maybe less the parry timing and more the delay that every melee attack seems to take. Coming from Souls games there seems to be less "wind-up" telegraphing the attacks. Here I tended to parry early because almost every attack had a huuuuuge wind-up delay. I beat it on the 3rd difficulty with all the parry timing/damage/whatever else bars even. Finished with 5 stims.

I had to do two of the saber fights more than twice. Everything else I one-shot.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

LOL drat it must be cool to be good at games

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Firstborn posted:

Also just finished: my thoughts (alongside yours):

* Pretty much all of the vision on Bogano was excellent. Illuminating a red saber, the climbing/crawling part, everything.

That bit was awesome, like I think I mentioned earlier they did tremendous work with the various visions, but that one was the culmination of their efforts and it showed. Really like that it made sure Cal's final decision didn't come out of nowhere since he saw the consequences of trying to raise a new order, and the Zeffo Sage talking about how they fell due to dogma taking them away from the path of balance was a pretty nice point to the Jedi having the same issue (not exactly shocking that Corvo "somehow" got a vision of the fall of the Jedi when he visited the place in retrospect)

quote:

* Music was great. The cues form the OT soundtrack hit at the perfect moment.

Also got to thank the genius who grabbed The HU for that rock song, it was picture perfect Star Wars while being just enough its own thing, much like the rest of the soundtrack. Just wish they had the music available to buy/listen too.

quote:

* The droid in this game is almost as adorable as Baby Yoda.

Yeah, using BD-1's antenna as effectively ears gave him a lot of character. Considering how little they had to work with they did amazing making him not only a fully realized personality but one of the best characters of the game.

As for other thoughts; the combat was a definite struggle for me, not sure if it's just because I'm not used to this style of thing (the Dark Souls "git gud" fandom made me feel those games would emphasize basically everything I hate in a game in terms of frustration/picture perfect reflexes, though I understand this one isn't nearly as bad) but things got a little obnoxious, especially with some enemies that like to pop an unblockable with very little warning (hated those drat Empire droids, they practically retroactively soured me on K2SO from Rogue One in retrospect) or getting surrounded by enemies that could spam attacks at me. Add in how the controls felt a little clunky and slow to me and I started burning out on it, especially by the end. Felt like I got flinched out/knocked down by combat far more than enemies in the game too, which was obnoxious, every time a game does that it is yanking away the one thing I'm supposed to control in the game, my own character. Finally wimped out and dropped the difficulty (which I didn't have super high to begin with) just so I could finish and not spend eons in combat trying to traverse the map looking for the last items. I will grant when I did win a fight it felt awesome and earned. The story and the puzzle design were very good though, characters were quite likable although you had to make a point to click on them constantly until they stopped answering for best results. If they toned down the slides some (especially some which had a bad habit of sending you wildly off them) and added either fast travel after finishing a planet or at minimum a "return to ship" button travel would have been great. Map was good for what it was but the multi-level design got a bit crazy to follow, some sort of "navigate here" or at least highlighting travel areas better would be nice. Overall though a very strong game, probably more so if you can play better than me ;).

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Captain Hygiene posted:

LOL drat it must be cool to be good at games

The game is easy, is what I'm trying to say. If you play other action games. It wasn't trying to sound arrogant, or whatever? Sorry.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Firstborn posted:

The game is easy, is what I'm trying to say. If you play other action games. It wasn't trying to sound arrogant, or whatever? Sorry.

Oh it wasn't a slam on you, sorry. There's just a basic level of competence I'm lacking in games like this, where I'm constantly dying and even the basic bosses take a dozen tries at the lowest non-story difficulty, so I'm always wistfully imagining what it must be like to just waltz through an even harder version.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh it wasn't a slam on you, sorry. There's just a basic level of competence I'm lacking in games like this, where I'm constantly dying and even the basic bosses take a dozen tries at the lowest non-story difficulty, so I'm always wistfully imagining what it must be like to just waltz through an even harder version.

Also I meant the finished the game with a maximum of 5 stims, not like "the last boss i had 5 stims left :smuggo:"

I think being able to block from any direction also helps a whole lot and looks cool. Basically every boss can be killed by roll -> get a hit or two. Roll -> get a hit or two. Hold block for the duration of it's obligatory 4-5 hit combo. Roll for the follow-up unblockable, get one hit or two. The thing that the Souls games taught me is to not get greedy about it. Try just going for one or two hits, and backing off.
The push ability wrecks opponent's stamina meter, too, if they are vulnerable at all to it.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Firstborn posted:

Couple of thoughts:
* It made me want to replay the KOTOR series.

I actually had the exact same thought and i've fired up Kotor 2 again. The gameplay is of course a bit outdated but god drat the dialogue is so drat good and after playing the disappointing Outer Worlds recently I miss the old Obsidian.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
They made the MMO able to be played solo, and it had a decent story, from what I remember. It was nice being able to tailor that story somewhat based on class, so you could have a full Han Solo-esque adventure or a more typical Jedi one, etc. I remember the best one being a Thrawn-esque Space James Bond adventure with the Imperial Agent class. Might be worth looking into.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Firstborn posted:

Also I meant the finished the game with a maximum of 5 stims, not like "the last boss i had 5 stims left :smuggo:"

Functionally equivalent since the max number of stims is 10.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
I wish there was a boss rush mode or something, I would like to continue messing around with some of the bosses. Even the bounty hunters seem to have disappeared after I beat the game.

edit: Reflecting an entire squad of Storm Troopers' laser barrage back at them should be an achievement.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't know about you guys, but I could pilot the hijacked AT-AT, blowing the poo poo out of everything, all night.

Pretty much the only thing that could improve that part of the game would be Merrin materializing from a cloud of green smoke to crack wise every once in a while.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Firstborn posted:

They made the MMO able to be played solo, and it had a decent story, from what I remember. It was nice being able to tailor that story somewhat based on class, so you could have a full Han Solo-esque adventure or a more typical Jedi one, etc. I remember the best one being a Thrawn-esque Space James Bond adventure with the Imperial Agent class. Might be worth looking into.

There were planet stories and class stories, meant to be played together and leading to the same areas (generally). I think Agent had the most flexibility in ending, it's always the same class story but based on who they allied with at various points they could wind up being an agent, double agent, triple agent or free agent and various folks would be alive to say how cool they were to do that. It definitely felt like the one they did first and then realized they couldn't spend nearly as much time on the others. Still great stories on them, but less variety on how you could end up.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

LS Sith Warrior was also really, really good. LS Empire in general tended to be fairly strong just because it allowed for actual nuance.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

withak posted:

I don't know about you guys, but I could pilot the hijacked AT-AT, blowing the poo poo out of everything, all night.

Pretty much the only thing that could improve that part of the game would be Merrin materializing from a cloud of green smoke to crack wise every once in a while.

:same:

Also, how have I finished the game, explored all the parts of every world and gotten most of the collectibles and still only have played 52% of the game?

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Madurai posted:

:same:

Also, how have I finished the game, explored all the parts of every world and gotten most of the collectibles and still only have played 52% of the game?

Echos?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

BD-1 scans don't show up in the map percentages either

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Looking forward to the sequel where through a series of events Cal becomes an Imperial pilot and it is literally just TIE Fighter with better graphics

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Firstborn posted:

Maybe less the parry timing and more the delay that every melee attack seems to take. Coming from Souls games there seems to be less "wind-up" telegraphing the attacks. Here I tended to parry early because almost every attack had a huuuuuge wind-up delay. I beat it on the 3rd difficulty with all the parry timing/damage/whatever else bars even. Finished with 5 stims.

I had to do two of the saber fights more than twice. Everything else I one-shot.

Same but 6 stims on Grandmaster.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bruceski posted:

There were planet stories and class stories, meant to be played together and leading to the same areas (generally). I think Agent had the most flexibility in ending, it's always the same class story but based on who they allied with at various points they could wind up being an agent, double agent, triple agent or free agent and various folks would be alive to say how cool they were to do that. It definitely felt like the one they did first and then realized they couldn't spend nearly as much time on the others. Still great stories on them, but less variety on how you could end up.

They developed the stories simultaneously with multiple writers so it wouldn't take 15 years to write the game. The Imperial Agent writer had the most freedom because that character type had no direct analogue in the movies, and so no real fan expectations/wish fulfillment angle to constrain it, which made it really awesome. That's probably why the off-alignment paths in the traditional classes tend to be more interesting as well, they're like playing an Infinities story where your character type gets to take the other fork in the road.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tarezax posted:

Functionally equivalent since the max number of stims is 10.

Ahaha oh my god, I never got more than 4. No wonder the final Dojo fight was something of a pain. :allears:

But anyway, just got through it, and overall liked it quite a bit in terms of gameplay. The main issue I have is that the combat kind of seemed to lose its unique dynamic towards the very end. The thing I really liked about the combat earlier on is that it basically abides by "turns", similar to a fighting game. If you land an attack it's your turn, and you get to stay on the offensive until you've finished your combo or get countered somehow, because your enemy is forced to block rather than be able to launch attacks on their own.

Fallen Order does just that, usually with a Parry being the thing that switches turns around. And especially during the first half of the game that works really well, it makes for a nice back and forth that rewards playing aggressively. It also lets you feel real smug once you learn to parry counter-attacks, which basically means you continually deny the enemy their turns. But it feels like towards the end that dynamic kind of gets lost, particularly in the dojo fight. You're surrounded by so many enemies that you don't really get to capitalize on your turn, and are often forced out of it by external attacks. Worse, some enemies just don't care about turns and spontaneously launch uninterruptible attacks while you're wailing on them. So at that point you're not really taking charge anymore, but more stuck dodging around in circles waiting out enemy attack patterns until you can get in a single little hit or two. It still sort of works, but really not nearly as well.

But enough complaining, one surprisingly fun part was of the game Trilla. Perhaps it's just because Cal is such a void of character, but I enjoyed every time she was on screen. She's just so into it! She walks around like a ludicrously grimdark and over-the-top stereotype, but she just owns that poo poo with such panache that I can't help but love it. It might have taken horrible torture and indoctrination, but this is the look of a lady who has found her thing and is loving it.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

JBP posted:

Just make a lightsaber game like For Honor, get someone capable to make it fun and then charge for pink sabers. Capitalism and consumer win.

lightsaber dueling mode thats like dark souls but with fighting game matchmaking, imo

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Farm Frenzy posted:

lightsaber dueling mode thats like dark souls but with fighting game matchmaking, imo

That's kind of what I mean but I think it would be cool with 3v3 or whatever you choose to do a la Jedi Academy which was the funniest and funnest mp stars war.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Does anyone else have poo poo performance on PC? I've got a GTX 960, so not the best, but I can't even run this at 30 fps on lowest settings without constant stuttering and FPS drops. It's a shame, would be a good game if it was actually smooth, especially in combat.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Does anyone else have poo poo performance on PC? I've got a GTX 960, so not the best, but I can't even run this at 30 fps on lowest settings without constant stuttering and FPS drops. It's a shame, would be a good game if it was actually smooth, especially in combat.

Same card (laptop) and i turned all extra pixels and shaders off and I had to close like every other application running but it made it playable.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
That's a 5 year old video card.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

So’s your face buddy

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm fine--butter smooth-- on PC but I have a much newer rig in general. (I7 9700k, 2070 super.)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The game looks better on Medium settings than The Force Unleashed does on max settings, which I found amusing, although I think Kamino's rain looks better

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzz posted:

That's a 5 year old video card.

This game is for consoles released in 2013. I'm not expecting anything beyond low graphics, but a consistent framerate isn't too much to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Vinylshadow posted:

The game looks better on Medium settings than The Force Unleashed does on max settings, which I found amusing, although I think Kamino's rain looks better

The Force Unleashed came out 11 years ago.