Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Does Amazon do a sneak peak of their prices for cyber Monday? I am looking at this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V5WY147

and I want to know if I should just buy it today or wait until Monday for a better deal, or if by Monday that deal will be gone :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NJD2005
Sep 3, 2006

BonoMan posted:

65"!!! R625 TCL 6 Series is $589 with free shipping after code at Rakuten.

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/electronic-express/product/65R625/

This was sold out for a bit but it's live again.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Is there a reason HBO Now doesn't work on LG's? I'm assuming it's some sort of stupid licensing thing. Just bought a C9 and I'm a bit annoyed I'm gonna have to use my PS4 to watch HBO. Or I guess I can Chromecast it or something, but it just seems a bit ridiculous.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Welcome to the world of Smart TVs where apps just stop working one day and whether they ever get fixed is a 50/50 coin toss.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Man I've been waiting for a deal on an i1Display Pro for what seems like forever. REALLY hoping they come through with a deal for one this year. No luck yet. If anyone sees anything, holler.

e: it's worth noting that the i1Display is compatible with the LG C9. You can use the TVs built in pattern generator to calibrate the TV with the i1Display, combined with CalMAN Home for LG.

Which means, assuming that X-Rite comes through with a deal on it this week, that you can have all of the tools to fully calibrate your C9 for around $300.

Taima fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 29, 2019

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is there a reason HBO Now doesn't work on LG's? I'm assuming it's some sort of stupid licensing thing. Just bought a C9 and I'm a bit annoyed I'm gonna have to use my PS4 to watch HBO. Or I guess I can Chromecast it or something, but it just seems a bit ridiculous.

Yeah, my mom just bought a C9 and this wasn't a nice surprise. Apparently Samsung paid for exclusive rights.

One workaround: you can subscribe to Now through Amazon Prime if you're a member, and watch in the Prime Video app.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

At this point a 3rd party streaming solution is basically required. Even if your apps work today, they might not tomorrow, to Elbro's point.

It's a feedback loop- the apps don't work reliably, so everyone gets a streaming box, so companies have even less incentive to keep up their Smart apps, so even more people get streaming boxes, etc etc

My favorite is the Shield but the Apple TV is up there too. If budget is a concern, nothing wrong with something like a Roku Ultra depending on what you're doing. You can find a Roku for 50 bucks all day right now.

You can easily SSH into the Shield and make the UI 4K, which is great and highly recommended for anyone using one.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
On an unrelated note, holy crap I never realized how bad a scaler could be. I got this 50" Westinghouse 4K RokuTV with HDR (but lets be honest that poo poo aint getting bright enough for HDR).

The TV is totally serviceable for a bedroom TV and everything from the apps looks surprisingly good for a $130 50" TV ($150 deal of the day at BB yesterday plus $20 credit).

But oh my god I was trying to watch football from my X1 box last night and that poo poo looks like garbage.

I'm currently shopping for my living room TV and that basically cemented the need for a decent scaler and true 120hz panel.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My TCL 6 Series got delivered today and it’s great

I haven’t really had a chance to do much with it yet but it’s really nice

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is there a reason HBO Now doesn't work on LG's?

Because AT&T/Time Warner are bumbling idiots. Let's all laugh and pretend HBO Max will solve this.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Almost sold out but 75" P Series Quantum Vizio for $1200 from Amazon. Lightning Deal.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RDMLHN...rd_i=B07RDMLHNK

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

BonoMan posted:

Almost sold out but 75" P Series Quantum Vizio for $1200 from Amazon. Lightning Deal.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RDMLHN...rd_i=B07RDMLHNK

First deal I’ve seen that really made me regret not waiting for Black Friday

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Don’t sleep on the Fire TV stick. I did a side by side with the Roku and surprisingly the Fire TV came out on top. Notably, the processor is hella fast.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

BonoMan posted:

At that range get the TCL

Got it. Gonna pick it. Up. Tomorrow, cause gently caress going to BB right now.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Josh Lyman posted:

Don’t sleep on the Fire TV stick. I did a side by side with the Roku and surprisingly the Fire TV came out on top. Notably, the processor is hella fast.
We had a Fire Stick and the updates eventually caused it to run like rear end. Ditched it for a Roku box and have been way happier ever since.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
Has anyone heard of Synergy TVs? They have a deal on a C9 65" for $1500 that I found though google price comparisons.
https://www.synergytvs.com/LG-OLED65C9PUA-65-C9-4K-HDR-Smart-OLED-TV-w-AI-ThinQ/p-1165

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

We had a Fire Stick and the updates eventually caused it to run like rear end. Ditched it for a Roku box and have been way happier ever since.
I will say I have the most recent 4K version which has updated hardware.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Josh Lyman posted:

I will say I have the most recent 4K version which has updated hardware.

Since we're talking about it, Amazon has the 4k stick on sale for $25, which is a good price by itself. If you have an older fire stick you can trade it in for a 20% off coupon. I'm not sure if its the same this time around, but when I did this on Prime Day they actually took the 20% off of the MSRP rather than the sale price so I got mine for $15. Well worth it for the performance increase and the TV power and volume buttons on the remote.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Takkaryx posted:

Has anyone heard of Synergy TVs? They have a deal on a C9 65" for $1500 that I found though google price comparisons.
https://www.synergytvs.com/LG-OLED65C9PUA-65-C9-4K-HDR-Smart-OLED-TV-w-AI-ThinQ/p-1165

C'mon bro. You're better than this.

e: my favorite part is that if you click "shop now" on the homepage it just 404 errors, nice

Taima fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 30, 2019

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I live a couple miles from downtown DC so all the stations are within 5 or so miles. Is the AmazonBasics antenna for $17 going to be my best bet? This thing is a few dollars cheaper and has an amplifier: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QJXFRWJ/

The AmazonBasics has a detachable cable so I could use an RG6 quad shield coax, but does that actually matter? Mainly just want it for live sports.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 30, 2019

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

I live a couple miles from downtown DC so all the stations are within 5 or so miles. Is the AmazonBasics antenna for $17 going to be my best bet? This thing is a few dollars cheaper and has an amplifier: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QJXFRWJ/

The AmazonBasics has a detachable cable so I could use an RG6 quad shield coax, but does that actually matter? Mainly just want it for live sports.

In a metro area like that, I doubt you want an amplifier (when signals are strong they can actually hurt reception). Detachable cable might be a nice bit of future proofing.

Be sure to also check out the cutting cable thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490605

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Man so I ended up having to take that Westinghouse 50" back. Even for $150 it just ended up being too garbage for me. Blurry, dim, blah. Ended up replacing it with a TCL 525 50" - actually really impressed with this TV.

Cost twice as much ($300) but at least now I know there's a floor for bedroom TVs for me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Since we're talking about it, Amazon has the 4k stick on sale for $25, which is a good price by itself.

This is the one to buy and the price to buy it. Even if you don’t have a 4K tv, you get the 4K stick. If you use plex it’s a no brainer to have at least one in the house, and If you have friends on the account make them buy them too.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Weird about the missing HBO app on LG. Here in Europe I was told Phillips had made a multi-year exclusive deal with them, so until this year no-one else had the app.

I just bought the C9 and it has all 3: Netflix, HBO and Amazon (plus random others).

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Maybe it's because I've been on a decade old TV and am in a nerdy bubble, but do most people use the TV's own SMART functions and not a Roku/Apple/Fire/[gaming system] as their app launchpad?

I'm setting up a new C9 today and out of habit everything is going through my PS4 but since the C9 is a brand new TV, should I just be using the TV's own apps?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've found the internal apps to be superior for things like image quality and frame cadence. I do have a Roku, but it's to cover gaps that the internal apps can't fill.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Fhqwhgads posted:

Maybe it's because I've been on a decade old TV and am in a nerdy bubble, but do most people use the TV's own SMART functions and not a Roku/Apple/Fire/[gaming system] as their app launchpad?

I'm setting up a new C9 today and out of habit everything is going through my PS4 but since the C9 is a brand new TV, should I just be using the TV's own apps?

I'm in the same boat. Never owned a Smart TV, my main concern is with bullshit menu ads.

If I want to use some smart functionality somewhere, somebody is probably collecting my data. If its LG, Apple or Google at that point... meh. I am running an aggressive Pihole on my network - so much so I was unable to read license agreements, update firmware and install any apps on the TV, so I do what I can.

For now I'm trying out the built-in apps, and figuring out if I want to move to a Chromecast or Apple TV.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bull3964 posted:

I've found the internal apps to be superior for things like image quality and frame cadence. I do have a Roku, but it's to cover gaps that the internal apps can't fill.

Same, the internal Roku on my TCL is far easier to use than a Firestick or Chromecast.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I haven’t touched the smart tv functions in years. Most of them don’t work or are lagged behind in development now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My C6 is over 3 years old now and is still getting updates. It even got a Disney+ app (thought I don't use that because it has bugs in it right now.)

Hell, it just got the Hulu 4k upgrade a few weeks back.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

FilthyImp posted:

The original Fire Stick was underpowered when it was new, and yea it's near useless on modern firmware. The 4K models are significantly faster. I haven't used the current non-4K model but I've heard it's a pretty major upgrade from the first one too.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

LG’s apps are fine, really. They feel full featured and the OS and navigation never feel slow or jerky. As annoying as it is not to have an HBO app and having a lovely remote layout, it would be even worse to have to deal with two remotes to lose, and losing a precious HDMI input. Also you can’t switch inputs from a dedicated box remote, and I’m a big baby who can’t focus on my toys for more than 30 minutes so I’m constantly switching between my video game consoles and PC.

It seems like the path of least resistance is to just learn to live with having to open HBO Go from the PS4, and being zen about the fact that 80% of the buttons on the LG remote are useless if you don’t even have an antenna connected.

Other than this small First World Problem, the LG C9 is amazing.

Animal fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 1, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Animal posted:

It seems like the path of least resistance is to just learn to live with having to open HBO Go from the PS4

No, the path of least resistance is to subscribe to HBO through Amazon Prime Channels and just use the Amazon app for HBO needs.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

bull3964 posted:

No, the path of least resistance is to subscribe to HBO through Amazon Prime Channels and just use the Amazon app for HBO needs.

well yeah but if my non-cable cutting friends are paying for HBO and volunteered their login info then that’s the past of least resistance for my wallet

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I remember reading something about LG's 2019 OLEDs not having full HDMI 2.1 support (maybe no 4k/120hz support) / spotty support at some point. Is that still the case? Am I misremembering?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The C9 can do 4K120, the B9 might not be able to I'm not sure.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I need a living room TV for sports and PS4, preferably 60ish inch +. I've read the OP and know nothing about TVs but I saw this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-75-class-led-4-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6319340.p?&skuId=6319340

which seems really cheap for a giant TV. Is this a bad idea or a trash tv? What are some black friday deals or recommendations the thread has? I would deeply appreciate any guidance

e: Preferrably in the 500-700 price range but I could go hire if its fantastic. I currently use my PS4 to stream and will be scoping another option inclusive of hopefully NFL Redzone

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Waroduce posted:

I need a living room TV for sports and PS4, preferably 60ish inch +. I've read the OP and know nothing about TVs but I saw this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-75-class-led-4-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6319340.p?&skuId=6319340

which seems really cheap for a giant TV. Is this a bad idea or a trash tv? What are some black friday deals or recommendations the thread has? I would deeply appreciate any guidance

e: Preferrably in the 500-700 price range but I could go hire if its fantastic. I currently use my PS4 to stream and will be scoping another option inclusive of hopefully NFL Redzone

I have the 2019 65 in TCL, and its fine, upped to very good, when you consider the price.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Waroduce posted:

That's low end TCL so I'd probably reach higher if you can. For sports watching I'd recommend a 120hz panel if you can afford it. Or something really known for good motion.

Check the Hisense H9F 65. Quantum Dot 120hz panel at $799 for 65".

Other than that check out the Sony 800 above series, particularly the 900 and 950 series.

Then check out the 65" TCL r625 series.

Phone posting so no links at the moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Residency Evil posted:

I remember reading something about LG's 2019 OLEDs not having full HDMI 2.1 support (maybe no 4k/120hz support) / spotty support at some point. Is that still the case? Am I misremembering?
Variable refresh was patched in recently in a firmware update. I think the B9's processor can't do 4k/120 but the C9 can.