Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

They switched it up and in this episode he killed people for lodging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slashrat posted:

Those early models look like they would be more useful in the role of fast transport over rough terrain, akin to an all-terrain motorcycle, with the mounted weapon just intended to offer suppressive fire and protection having to come entirely from use of the environment.

Is it the most practical design imaginable? Probably not, but look at the US Army's Bradley IFV for an idea of how something like this happens.

What you saying about the Bradley?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Rocksicles posted:

What you saying about the Bradley?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:actually: Pentagon Wars fictionalizes the somewhat troubled development that led to the M2 Bradley IFV and M3 Bradley CFV, and in doing so misrepresents not only the actual, historical process, but also presents entirely reasonable compromises and design choices as wrongheaded. There's a team of generals who are presented as buffons and a put-upon lead designer who has to struggle under their unreasonable demands, but, in fact, the generals are reasonable and the lead designer is an idiot who couldn't design his way out of a paper bag.

Gonna assume this was also true for the AT-ST and the clone war one

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

robot roll call posted:

Also this episode was great, very cool to see one AT-ST be a threat and legitimately kind of scary. Quite the contrast from the armada of like 1000 Star Destroyers in the trailer for the new movie...

Thats what I thought was awesome too. Mando and Cara both being like "Well we are hosed, they have an AT-ST." They have never seemed particularly threatening in any media, but I guess when it's just 2 people they are very terrifying.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

If you've ever played much Battlefront they're "welp guess I'm loving off to another control point" serious if you don't have air support or anti-armor kit.

Walker Assault remains one of my favorite multiplayer game experiences.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

If we wanna get technical, yall arguing for tactical realism need to take into account the AT-STs on Endor were being piloted by trained imperial soldiers. The AT-ST that Mando and Cara were up against was being piloted by basically a local gangbanger.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

teagone posted:

If we wanna get technical, yall arguing for tactical realism need to take into account the AT-STs on Endor were being piloted by trained imperial soldiers. The AT-ST that Mando and Cara were up against was being piloted by basically a local gangbanger.

I did appreciate that it looked like the AT-ST hit jack poo poo. It was just a tool for intimidation with the the (reasonable) fear that eventually it might hit something if it couldn't be stopped.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
I know he probably didn’t want to risk his ship. But I think you coulda caught them off guard and turned their whole encampment ATST included into a smoking hole in the ground from a few thousand feet up.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

The real question is why didnt they just search for the thing in camp and blow it up there. They manage to easily sneak into the bad guys camp undetected and plant an explosive in the tent for some reason. They could have easily just spent that time looking for the drat AT-ST and blow it up while they were completely unprepared.

Slashrat posted:

A counterpoint about Endor; The AT-STs there killed a poo poo-ton of ewoks after the initial ambush and until Chewie and his cohorts hijacked one to turn the tide of the battle. The movie may have played them as slightly silly in the physical portrayal, but the subtext is absolutely that these things were massacring everyone and only luck and sheer numbers kept the ewoks in the game.

This is pretty much how I've always viewed it. The Ewoks didnt really beat the Empire so much as throw them into disarray for a short period of time. Chewie and the 2 Ewoks are the real heroes of the battle. Leia had just been shot and there was no way they were going to get into the bunker. Even if they somehow had managed to get in, the commander of the bunker still had multiple squads of reserves inside.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DurosKlav posted:

The real question is why didnt they just search for the thing in camp and blow it up there.

Because then they'd have to deal with the whole encampment by themselves in the dark of night, instead of having the villagers back them up. I don't think Cara and Mando would want to lead a raiding party with the recently-trained villagers into the enemy camp as an alternative option either.

quote:

They manage to easily sneak into the bad guys camp undetected and plant an explosive in the tent for some reason. They could have easily just spent that time looking for the drat AT-ST and blow it up while they were completely unprepared.

They blew up the tent as bait to draw out the AT-ST.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

They could have placed a delayed charge on the thing and easily slipped back into the night. I have a feeling they also wouldnt have had a whole lot of trouble getting away had they alerted the camp after blowing the AT-ST up. It just felt lazy so that they could have had a big battle with the villagers.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

ReEdit the episode so baby yoda swings onto its head making Tarzan noises.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

ReEdit the episode so baby yoda swings onto its head making Tarzan noises.

I had completely forgot that this was a thing in that movie.

:saddowns:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The fact that the villagers could turn a tiny pond into a hole deep enough to sink an AT-ST to the hip is the worst part. Are we to believe that they suddenly drummed up the technology to create a deep excavation underwater? There must have been some serious bracing involved if they were able to deepen it that much without making it any wider. Also, if they were doing earthwork on that scale then they should have used the spoil to throw up some ramparts and make the mercs fight their way uphill to get at the defenders.

IMO the writers have some serious plot holes to dig their way out of (ha!) next week.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DurosKlav posted:

They could have placed a delayed charge on the thing and easily slipped back into the night. I have a feeling they also wouldnt have had a whole lot of trouble getting away had they alerted the camp after blowing the AT-ST up. It just felt lazy so that they could have had a big battle with the villagers.

This is assuming the AT-ST wasn't heavily guarded, or located like, near the center of the enemy encampment. They also further run the risk being discovered going out of their way to find the AT-ST. There are plenty of possible variables to mull over tbh, which is why it's dumb to nitpick over technicalities regarding tactical realism in movies/shows/whatever imo. When important events happen in service to the story which in turn bolsters the narrative, I have no issues with liberties taken when it comes to poo poo like military strategy not being min/maxed or whatever.

Just my opinion.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Shuffle posted:

I know he probably didn’t want to risk his ship. But I think you coulda caught them off guard and turned their whole encampment ATST included into a smoking hole in the ground from a few thousand feet up.

He wanted to train the local Mujahideen though

Also I thought this was a funny Thanksgiving episode because the people and their homes looked Native American

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

teagone posted:

This is assuming the AT-ST wasn't heavily guarded, or located like, near the center of the enemy encampment. They also further run the risk being discovered going out of their way to find the AT-ST. There are plenty of possible variables to mull over tbh, which is why it's dumb to nitpick over technicalities regarding tactical realism in movies/shows/whatever imo. When important events happen in service to the story which in turn bolsters the narrative, I have no issues with liberties taken when it comes to poo poo like military strategy not being min/maxed or whatever.

This is the correct way to enjoy shows.

It is not "turn your brain off," it's "assume the most reasonable interpretation that fits the story they're trying to tell, and suspend a healthy amount of disbelief." If you try to interrogate every story like it's a choose-your-own-adventure you're trying to complete with maximum efficiency, you're going to have a bad time, every time.

We went through this ITT with the first episode and him letting out Blue Man Group's leash a little to mess with him ("why take the risk! It's not tactically efficient! He's a bad bounty hunter!")

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Baby Yoda is loving adorable my god. My son just is being all cute slurpin some soup as Mando fights Cara.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah and why didn't he just shoot all of the villagers so that the raiders couldn't? Smh not sure I can continue to watch a show with so many ludicrous inconsistencies.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Owlbear Camus posted:

This is the correct way to enjoy shows.

Moon Slayer posted:

Yeah and why didn't he just shoot all of the villagers so that the raiders couldn't? Smh not sure I can continue to watch a show with so many ludicrous inconsistencies.

I'm not trying to gatekeep on how to watch shows or anything like that, because it's fine to be critical about logical inconsistencies in whatever you're watching. And sure, it can be fun to poke and prod said inconsistencies and think of other ways the story could have been told. But yeah, letting any kind of technical lapses affect one's own enjoyment of whatever narrative content that they're ingesting comes off as missing the point imo: which is that a story is being told—not a documentary—that entails its own narrative goals.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Also and most importantly, forgetting all about ewoks and their fighting capabilities is probably a good idea, no matter the context.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I wished every episode is just Mando trying to use his flamethrower and it keeps getting pushed out of the way or out of gas. It’s just funny that he has this cool weapon that barely gets used because of bad circumstances.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
He rolled a 1 on bribing the bartender for information.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

At Disney World last weekend I found this in the gift shop outside Star Tours:

I love the kick rear end retro Kenner packaging.

Edit: whoops I didn’t scroll over in the images in your post and didn’t see it was the same thing. Still, it was the only piece of Mandalorian merch I saw besides a sandcrawler that didn’t have any Egg.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY

Zaphod42 posted:

Its the future.

Can we just establish for the record this happened a long time ago? in a galaxy far far away?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

evilmiera posted:

Also and most importantly, forgetting all about ewoks and their fighting capabilities is probably a good idea, no matter the context.

Apocalypse Endor owns, though.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

robot roll call posted:

I felt the same way about Porgs but I think the difference is they marketed the poo poo out of them and even had merch ready to roll before TLJ came out so the whole thing felt especially cynical. Baby Yoda received zero advanced marketing because it's supposed to be a big surprise hook but they also seem legitimately surprised by how much its blown up evidenced by the fact that they've got nothing for it and said it'll be a bit before you can load up on sweet, sweet Baby Yoda plushies and shirts.

Also this episode was great, very cool to see one AT-ST be a threat and legitimately kind of scary. Quite the contrast from the armada of like 1000 Star Destroyers in the trailer for the new movie...

My theory was that porgs got such a big marketing push because merchandisers watched TLJ and realized that everyone was wearing the same clothes and there weren't any cool looking characters that got introduced. Seeing that there wasn't anything new to make and sell, they doubled down and porgs and it worked.

The most cynical thing about its appearance to me is that it's just Gizmo and you know everybody making it had Gizmo in mind.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

PunkBoy posted:

Gonna be real, I would absolutely love an in-universe History Channel-like show on major battles.

Only if it was narrated by Werner Herzog.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Gina Carano is cool and did cool fighting but her acting was Not Good.

This show is just a live action version of Rebels or The Clone Wars and I guess thats fine.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Everyone posted:

Only if it was narrated by Werner Herzog.

Star Wars Fitzcarraldo would be dope as gently caress.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The tracking fobs is a thing that doesn't sit well with me. Hope they never ever attempt to explain how these work.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I want an episode where the Mando tracks down the fob maker and we get a twenty-minute flashback to how this ancient lizardman alien thing went to college and built a team and designed it, and then we never meet him again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

The tracking fobs is a thing that doesn't sit well with me. Hope they never ever attempt to explain how these work.

Spaaaaace maaaaaagic

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It’s clearly tracking people via their midichlorians. Duh.

It spans great distances due to it’s integration with the Force.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I felt a tonal shift. This episode felt like a family friendly fun fest. I liked the grittiness of eps 1-3. They felt like Star Wars to me. This felt like the Ewok Adventure. Let's hope it returns to form next week. The concept art looked great. I would have liked to see the village look a little more like that and maybe a whole lot less bad acting from Gina, villagers, and bartender.

Yoda baby, still confirmed cute.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm just running on the assumption that they have to get some dna sample from the target and they use that to build the fobs. They only work when you get relatively close, at most a few miles from the target.

Seems reasonable to me.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Mostly alright but they used this one stock sound effect of baby noise for the baby yoda when they arrive in the village and it kinda took me out of it.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I felt a tonal shift. This episode felt like a family friendly fun fest. I liked the grittiness of eps 1-3. They felt like Star Wars to me. This felt like the Ewok Adventure. Let's hope it returns to form next week. The concept art looked great. I would have liked to see the village look a little more like that and maybe a whole lot less bad acting from Gina, villagers, and bartender.

That Ewok movie was a favorite of mine when I was a child, so I have no complains with a little friendly feelgood-ish episode because nostalgia.

Also, agree with baby Yoda's cuteness still going strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I agree completely. The bartender especially seemed way out of place. And it never made sense that the Mandalorian would even consider leaving the kid there because why would he forget about the hundreds of tracking fobs out there for him?

I did like the fishing basket droid and the AT-ST scene.

Anybody know what the boiling blue vats were in the tent?