Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.
Update 11 - Avan Doesn't Do Anything, Yet Again

Welcome back to another episode of We're Running Out of Unfunny Titles : Thanksgiving Edition!

This update will be a bit shorter due to my mouse hitting the end of its lifespan, it seems. Doing this by touch pad and touchscreen is way slower, so I opted to chop this update in half. It was originally going to be a double sized update, so not much of a loss, really.

So, last time, I actually had to make a restart off-screen when trying to A-rank the marching mission, so we technically never saw that daily event with Chloe. Instead, we technically saw this one:

Music: Everyday Life of the Class

: Mind sharing what you bought?

: So they are. From three authors popular among female readers today.
: Claudine Gide, Manoel Ronning, and the rising star on the scene, Nadine.

Nadine was an engineer in VC1, one with a literature degree.

: Seriously? Wow, I just assumed they'd be academic works. Non-fiction...

: But the characters of this genre are illogical. Even emotionally unstable.
: Multiple readings offered no insights, so I'm making a formal study of it.

: Thank you. Good day, Zeri.

Well, that was nice. I guess you could say: never judge a book by their cover.

Please don't sue me for the pun, I'm losing enough on tonal whiplash suits as is.

---

Here's where we're supposed to be for the update.

TITLES BEGOTTEN THUSLY BY THE GATHERING OF PUPILS KNOWN AS THE CLASS OF G:
-GODSPEED
-JETS

I swear this isn't the same image I started the update with, we just happened to get another event in the courtyard.

--

: Hee hee! We thought it'd be a pleasant change of pace to lunch outdoors.
: We're having northern salmon in a pie crust. Would you like one?
: Wow, sounds fancy! Did you guys make these?

Well, that's definitely a talent. I have a poor sense of distinguishing different tastes, so I can never manage this.

: The pie's crispy, and the fish inside's buttery... This is amazing!

I can't remember whether they made this up for this game or not, but we won't see a thing about it until the end of this month.

: Oh, really?
: Legend has it the sacred Valkyrur often dined on northern salmon.

: Aaaaugh, it's too good! Hey, is there enough for me to have one more?
: Hah! So much for mystique.

Well, that was an event about Avan eating fish pie, because food is one half of his characterization.

...I don't know really how much I'd like a salmon pie. I don't really find fish very appetizing even though I go fishing quite often. Regardless, fish pie just doesn't sound that food to me.

---

Eh, enough rambling about food. Time to go send teenagers into a warzone because they're the only one who can protect this country from collapsing inwards.

It's nighttime and they've got a tank, but that's about the only notable thing with this mission. The limited sight range will make for a few surprises, but the enemy will also be very defensive because of it.

I want to move on out of this month and we've still got a few missions to go, so I'll breeze through this one while I've got a chance. I'll be nice and quick with this and not have to redo this mission. Moving in from area 4 is the best shot we've got for winning easily, so I set up a double team of scouts there. Avan is on guard duty, as usual.

Player Turn Music: Liberation Battle

Enemy Turn Music: Return Battle

I start with Helmut and send him through the silo as usual. It's the fastest path, so there's no reason not to. He's got the best HP of the scouts, so he's much better suited for this mission. I chose correctly it seems, as I quickly meet the enemy ace.

Ah, the enemy ace has a special X weapon. Weapons with an X suffix usually apply a status effect of some form, in this case, Defense Down. Most status effects aren't great in my opinion, so you won't see me use those kinds of gun often. They have their uses, though, and I might make use of a few if the thread wants.

Helmut only misses the first and last shot, just barely managing to not kill Cindy. Helmut's out of AP and the ace's gun doesn't do much damage, so his turn's done for now. Low damage is usually why I avoid the status weapons- I'd rather them just go down in one attack.

Cindy's not very tough, really. I just go for bodyshots on this one as I don't want to risk anymore whiffed shots.

Moving around the flag we find a scout. It's a old love story, that, "The Scout and the Incoming Grenade"

I'd say he's head over heels.

I cap that base and move onto dealing with my other scouts. With three CP left, I send in Melissa. I've got her put with Lotte as a double team, though Misogynist might hurt a bit.

Running to the east and planning to head south down the bridge has me come face to face with a sniper. They can't retaliate, are twice as flimsy as scouts, and have poor movement, but their attacks are really quite lethal. At this point in the game, they'll nearly one shot crouched scouts and will do the same to standing troopers.

The enemy AI also has no idea how to aim, so they whiff more than half of their shots and never aim for the head.

He crumples like a house made out of paper and Melissa moves on to watch this bridge. These two shocktroopers will be big problem if I can't take them out this turn.

Lotte moves around the house to the south and they team up on this dude.

They repeat the same method on the other dude and clear the bridge with ease. Double scouts is really effective in the same way that double troopers is basically overkill half the time.

The enemy does nothing and ends their turn on the spot. No idea why, perhaps they just don't have any units to pursue mine with.

1st, CP, I send Melissa forward and handle the last of the shocktroopers on the bridge. I'm far enough away that he doesn't counterattack, but I don't take him down either.

Lotte remedies that. The only person guarding the base is a lone sniper, so I decide to toss a grenade his way.

: "I smell a big story!"

I've had Nichol pick up this potential as well, and it's not half bad on scouts. They tend to take a good bit of damage when manuevering them about and having a free heal instead of spending a turn using ragnaid can really help sometimes.

(Veteran Scouts carry ragnaid with them, like an engineer. They'll never match up to an engineer's healing, but it's mostly for self repair.)

You might now see the figure of that shocktrooper hiding back there. I toss the grenade his way instead.

...Or not. I must've hit start by accident. My keybinds are very strange for this emulator, so it's possible. It's also possible I was being dumb.

Running myself down to 3 CP, I send Marion to investigate the front side of the warehouse to see if it would be better to take it from this way instead. So far, so good...

NOPE

After shooting one dude down, I realize that I've only got 3 CP to get that other base captured and then the base camp before Marion gets taken out.

Should've done that in the first place. The sniper doesn't survive, and I've bumped the trooper all the way to the fence and off the base.

It's an easy grab from there.

Alright, you've got this, Helmut.

:argh: Almost had this with just that one grenade, but unfortunately for me, one of the scouts is still standing.

I've still got 1 CP though. Hah!

: "Target destroyed."

Music: Reward

Got some weapon plans from that ace, though it's just the Gallian X1, our starting version of the defense down rifle.

THE TITLES OBTAINED HEREUPON THIS DAY OF WRITING AND BESTOWMENT:
-SQUALL

...Why am I expecting our team to be a Final Fantasy reference next?

We've got events! Unfortunately, as I said, this'll be a short update due to technical difficulties on my side. To make up for it, I'll have the next update up a whole lot sooner.

Tune in very soon for the next tonally deaf performance of Avan, Helmut, and the Girls!

Oh, and Zeri shows up some more and is progressively less of a jerk than we started with. That's cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Poil posted:

I'm thankful for this LP because I also enjoy reading it. :)

I know I basically said it last night, but I'm thankful to all of you folks who read this LP of mine! Knowing that I can at least add to someone's day out there by writing something they enjoy keeps me going on the tough days.

Even as cheesy as it might be, I also have to say I'm thankful for all you folks here in the LP subforum. I've been through some rough spots in the last two years and stumbling across the LP Archive and this forum has really helped me through them.

I'll try to have the next half of this update sometime tomorrow, and I'll be back on my regular schedule from there on.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Nice to see a Nadine shoutout, I liked her. She was the only Engineer that wasn't crazy.

Also, I'm thankful for the LP! I never owned a PSP, so I had no idea what VC 2 and 3 were about.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I've very much been lurking so far, but I wanted to say that I am enjoying this LP.
Even if I'm not posting, I am checking this every time I see new posts being made in the thread.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Update 12 (Story): Friends, Knitting, and Fascism

As I promised last time, we've got more events! This update will shape up to be a bit short as well, but as I said in the last update, I meant these two to be merged.

Also, as per request and for organization reasons, the updates will be split between their story and combat components.

--

Yeah, I couldn't knit to save my life. I can weave, I can sew, but I'm a total wreck when it comes to knitting.

: Aww, you guys are pros at this, too!
: I could certainly see that cap you're making in a boutique, Noel.
: Naw, I'm half winging it here! Those gloves are way fancier, Marion.
: Ha ha! You see? We're all doing all right for ourselves!

For reference, a skein is a neat bundle of thread, usually yarn, for knitting or weaving. It's usually gathered to make a neat circle and then held together in the center.

...What? I said I knew how to weave and sew.

: Shall we make something else with it, ladies?
: Oooh! That's 100% sleeping sheep wool from Dufour Farms!

That was nice. I like these little events about life.

Now let's ruin the mood with another two events taking on an entirely different tone!

What do you mean it's not over? Joachim, why do you always have to be spying on girls?

I can't tell what you're implying here, but I'm very doubtful on this already.

~* Avan's Room - Melissa's Second Event *~

: Ugh, it was my own fault for lending you anything in the first place.
: Aw, don't be like that. I said I was sorry. Oh, while I have you...
: What do you know about Melissa, from our class? She strike you as... odd?

: Yeah. Sometimes I'll see her just staring at me. Like, spying on me.
: You can't really think a classmate of ours is a spy, Avan.
: First and foremost, I can't say as I've ever seen her outside of class.
: Seriously? Hmmm...

: Well, it's almost curfew. Why don't you go get an early night's sleep.

*Zeri leaves.*

: Man, maybe I am just tired. It really felt real, but...

*RUSTLING NOISES*

: Hee hee...

: Don't tell me you really are a spy for the rebels!
: ...I'm on a date.
: Haw?

: What, what?! You and... And Zeri? Are dating?!
: Oh, yes.
: But I've never even seen you two together, not once!

: When he eats... During drills... Tee hee hee...
: Huh? But he eats with... A-ha! And after drills in the lockers!

*BELL NOISES*

*Avan shakes a bit.*
: Wow, Zeri wins the prize for craziest stalker, that's for sure!

I...uh, yeah. Melissa is a very dedicated stalker. We've had two stalkers this update, what else could happen?

~* Classroom - Helmut's Second Event *~

: Um...
: I wanted to hear about the Empire, man!

: That's not what I meant. I want to hear what it was like growing up.
: C'mon, man! What were the schools there like?
: I studied in a military academy near the capital.
: Wow! What sort of stuff did they teach there?

Right, two stalkers and fascism. Nice. We were talking about knitting earlier.

: That's the emperor, right? You swore an oath to him?
: I assume you know that the empire is ruled by His Excellence absolutely.
: It is the first thing all new cadets at any academy do.
: Wow, that's pretty interesting.

Music: None

And to man up the concentration camps they set up here in Gallia.
: Zeri!
: Um...

: We Darcsens are just a pack mules to you, aren't we? A source of slave labor.
: But those camps were an assault on human dignity. A mule is better treated.
: Just know that even if you've forgotten all about it, we Darcsens haven't.

: ...It was ill-advised to discuss the Empire here.
: Helmut, he didn't--
: Good day.

: You couldn't possibly understand.
: Wha--? Hey, wait, Zeri...

Yeah, so that was some harsh stuff. It's not fair to judge people on the actions of the people they're related to- I've dealt with enough of it, and it's awful.

E: In this case, that might be the wrong argument given that the war between Gallia and the Empire was only 2 years ago, not generations ago. It's probably not worth forming an opinion about Helmut until we see his entire arc- it's been mostly vague so far.

Let's just move on from this and do some combat things. I don't want to tread that territory.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 29, 2019

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Update 12 (Combat): Friends, Knitting, and Fascism
---

Music: Royal Military Academy

Time for chores!

Every class but Lancer has been improved to 5 so far. I always do them last, mostly because the level up benefits are marginal increases to damage, and all lancers need to do is get behind an armored vehicle and destroy it.

I use the last of my exp to get lancers to 2, and move on to R&D.

Here's the Gallian-X-1 that we got the plans for off of the last map's ace. It looks kinda goofy if you ask me, but if you want to see me use it just say so. Defense down is useful enough for assist attacks.

I buy the upgraded suit for armor techs while I'm here- they haven't seen much use yet, but they will later.

Here at the shop, I grab the first bonus mission available. It's a bit tougher of a mission that will net us some plans for an alternate sub-machine gun.

This fight will attempt to be challenging, but it's not really that bad. I take in a team using all of my available shocktroopers and Helmut- the enemy team is mostly troopers so I need maximum firepower.

Music: Practice Battle

We have to take the base at the end of area 3, and I start with taking this nearest waypoint base. I'm still prioritizing using Marion over Avan or Zeri, if it all possible.

I head straight for the shocktrooper watching the base.

He gets a grenade, in classic Team Anime style.

I retreated Marion for reasons unknown, but my current focus is holding these bases. I send in Mischlitt to finish off the trooper and hold the base.

Triggering Genius unnecessarily, she puts this dude on the ground.

I also have her repair the sandbags, because why not? I bet you already forgot techs could do that.

I still do sometimes.

With that waypoint base captured, I send in Lavinia just for the heck of it. Blitzing this mission is very easy, and I'm intent on getting some credit towards our character's stories.

I drive around and knock a dude out of the grass.

If Jinn is the harshest instructor at Lanseal, Class G's Team Anime is the harshest squad at Lanseal.

You folks might want to call a medic on that one.

Marion starts sweeping up.

I didn't remember where the ace was, so I went looking through the grass for him. He's actually on the other map, but it'll take me a bit to find him.

Noel is brought in for reasons I cannot remember.

I try taking out the sandbags from here and just barely miss. This isn't really that useful of a tactic- I wouldn't recommend it.

Noel is left bodyblocking the flag while the enemy takes their turn. They start moving up a shocktrooper towards her, but they don't fully commit.

There's Jinn! Unlike most aces and yellow helmets, he's not a coward who hides in a corner. He doesn't even try shooting at Mischlitt.

My turn again. I retreat Marion out of the grass so she can fight Jinn. You can win this mission in turn 1, I'm just farming participation for story events at this point.

: "You see? The answers arrive by themselves."

Yeah, you're pretty screwed, dude. You should've kept hiding.

He's beefy, but doing that much damage to a crouching ace shocktrooper is actually pretty good.

I try to have Avan weaken him down a bit more, but he's an evasive bugger. It doesn't matter- he fell for my tricks.

: "A clean hit!"

Can't dodge an enemy you can't see.

With him down and my weapon plans acquired, I start rushing to end this mission. Zeri's in because he's the only one with full movement.

Ugh, this isn't great. There wasn't a reliable way to get him out, so I'll have to line up a double shot.

Double shot time?

Hell yeah, I didn't expect it to work that time! :dance:

I wouldn't have minded some more credits, but this is fine. I only really did this mission for exp and money as the gun isn't actually that good. It's an SMG with less bullet capacity and slightly better accuracy, but I'll make one anyways.

Next time on Lanseal's Got Talent, we hang out with Marion for an exclusive episode!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

okay yeah Avan sucks. Y U SO SENSITIVE ABOUT A LITTLE ETHNIC CLEANSING :byodood:

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

The Flying Twybil posted:

Yeah, so that was some harsh stuff. It's not fair to judge people on the actions of the people they're related to- I've dealt with enough of it, and it's awful.

Ehhh, not saying it's cool to do that, but Helmut is not a saint. It's easy to forget because there are so many teenagers around, but Helmut is in his late 20's, he was a soldier of the Imperial Army, and he does indeed have prejudice against Darcsens.

I can't remember whether they made this up for this game or not, but we won't see a thing about it until the end of this month.

The church doesn't play any roles in VC1, but the idea of the Yggdist Church did exist before VC2. VC1 has statues of the Valkyrur that make reference to Ygg teachings.

VC3 makes more references to the religious stuff and has a few characters that are more involved in it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I mean when you need to have someone under your command and they're being ostracized, getting to know them and making a connection is an important first step. How is doing what Zeri is doing helping anyone? And for the record I completely agree with Zeri's criticism.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

SSNeoman posted:

I mean when you need to have someone under your command and they're being ostracized, getting to know them and making a connection is an important first step. How is doing what Zeri is doing helping anyone? And for the record I completely agree with Zeri's criticism.

Oh, I'm not making a comment on that one way or another. Zeri's attacks aren't going to help the team morale that is desperately needed for everyone to survive Avan's incompetence. Helmut clearly doesn't like this arrangement either, but his whole thing is "I'm a soldier, so I will follow orders."

I'm just saying don't be so quick to shed tears for the harrassment that Helmut is getting. He is definitely not an innocent man of the Empire that is being unfairly lumped in with others. He's a grown man responsible for his own views and actions, which include supporting at least some of what the Empire stands for.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 29, 2019

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Psycho Knight posted:

Ehhh, not saying it's cool to do that, but Helmut is not a saint. It's easy to forget because there are so many teenagers around, but Helmut is in his late 20's, he was a soldier of the Imperial Army, and he does indeed have prejudice against Darcsens.

The church doesn't play any roles in VC1, but the idea of the Yggdist Church did exist before VC2. VC1 has statues of the Valkyrur that make reference to Ygg teachings.

VC3 makes more references to the religious stuff and has a few characters that are more involved in it.

I'm not really shedding tears for him, I know he's a 27 year old guy getting rebuked by kids for supporting the Empire and he deserves it. I was mostly mentioning the unfairness of judging a person based on what their ancestors did, which is kind of the wrong argument for this moment, now that I think about it.

They also haven't really expressed Helmut's affiliation to the Empire well. I haven't actually seen event 3 and 4 for him, but I know vaguely what happens.

The only person I can think of that is Yggdist in this game is one of the main characters on the rebel side. I don't actually know what's the deal with that one armor tech that shows up later, but that's heading towards spoiler territory.

Hwurmp posted:

okay yeah Avan sucks. Y U SO SENSITIVE ABOUT A LITTLE ETHNIC CLEANSING :byodood:

Avan's obliviousness knows absolutely no bounds. He probably doesn't even realize Helmut's his senior by nearly a decade or that Helmut's effectively an enemy soldier. He just wants everyone to get along without realizing the implications.

I'm not excusing his lack of perception in the slightest. We've already established he has the situational awareness of a seven-year old.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Is Helmut not a defector or is he a hostage?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Hes a hostage. The man is a proud soldier of the empire(tm),related to the throne(I think?) and considers this part of his duty as a soldier. The only way he wasn't involved in gallian war crimes is if he was doing them to his own country or not NATO instead.

On the other hand he has a cool hat and we should always deploy him when possible.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

FoolyCharged posted:

Hes a hostage. The man is a proud soldier of the empire(tm),related to the throne(I think?) and considers this part of his duty as a soldier. The only way he wasn't involved in gallian war crimes is if he was doing them to his own country or not NATO instead.

On the other hand he has a cool hat and we should always deploy him when possible.

He and Noel have the best hats.

Voting will be coming again soon, so I guess start thinking about who you want to see next. I'll probably start the polls for everything after the next update anyways, as the last mission for February will be a hefty update of its own, given all the story text.

Current Event Number:
Marion - Complete (This is the next update, as referred to at the end of the last one.)
Helmut - 2nd Event
Melissa - 2nd Event
Lotte - 1st Event
Noel - 1st Event
Mischlitt - 1st Event

You'll still be able to vote for Marion if you want, but I will likely prioritize using other troopers over her, just to keep the character stories going. We will be gaining another shocktrooper, Pete Stang, who is an old friend of Avan's. I'll outline him more when I open up the polls.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Update 13 (Story): (Now and Then There's) A Gun Such as I

Music: Winter in Lanseal

Welcome back to the next episode of [Insert Marginally Entertaining Television Name Joke]. Today, we're taking a break from our regularly scheduled programming to focus on Marion, and with hopefully less Joachim.

Also, I sliced my index finger open earlier today, so I'm typing really strangely now as well as using a very old mouse, barely in better condition than the one that gave out on me last week. I have only the best luck.

HEAR YE, HEREFORTH PRONOUNCED BE THE NEWEST TITLES OF THE CLASS OF G ON THIS PRESENT DAY IN THE YEAR OF 1937, MONTH OF FEBRUARY, DAY OF UNKNOWN:
- Harsh

Daily event comes first, as always.

*Punching sound*

: Tch.
: Erik, were you...?
: Were you guys sparring?
: Uh... what?
: Mock combat with the guys from another squad, huh? I like the sound of that!

:byodood: : Rrgh, we'll settle this soon, Kampmann!

*He runs off*

: Hey, where's he...? Ah, well. So, ready to go?

: I see. You're embarassed I saw you training in secret.
: Haw?!
: There's no need to be shy. I think recognizing one's weakness shows strength.

*He runs off as well*

: That's a shame. I'd have liked to go a round or two with him.

Tristan's too concerned with training to notice the obvious. Just as well, Erik was probably going to lay the other dude flat with his fist.

...He should be using grenades for that. This is Class G, get with the program, man.

~* Courtyard - Marion's Third Event *~

: Please, prepare to... Prepare to sortie at once!
: Intelligence reports that the rebels have employed a new weapon on a farm town.
: All right, I got it! I'll be ready in just two shakes of a--
: Avan, you simply must take me with you! Please!
: If they're testing some new kind of weapon, it could be rough. You sure?

: Is there something you wanted me to know about? Something you're hiding?

: I'm not forcing you to tell me or anything.
: But, you know, if it's something you wanted to get off your chest...

: So long as you're good. All right, I'll let you know as soon as I'm ready.

*She curtsies and walks off*

Avan's only a good leader sometimes. This update is one of those times, last update was probably not.

As for Marion, we'll see what's up after our new mission.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Update 13 (Combat): (Now and Then There's) A Gun Such as I
---

Music - Briefing

Welcome to the mid-game, folks. Or, at least a view of it- we've got a month or two before we can say we're out of the early game.

All characters with events trigger the ability to take special missions once you see their third event- these are all scaled to level 15 units and usually contain a few promotions as well as some potentially deadly stuff. Some of these can be quite challenging to do until later, some not so much. Marion's is part of the latter.

These missions force deploy the involved units, in this case Marion and Avan, and sometimes only those units. There's at least a few Avan + Related Unit only missions from what I remember. This map makes it easy on us though, because it deploys our two troopers where I'd want them at anyways- the caverns.

Let's get at it, I'll explain along the way.

Player Turn Music: Liberation Battle
Enemy Turn Music: Return Battle

All units have voiced intro lines for their special missions. There will be another way to get them to speak on map opening, but that won't be until later.

I immediately send in Avan. I put Mischlitt at the home base to guard it, so I'm good to invest all I want into taking enemy bases.

I also have 2 more CP than usual due to this being a higher level mission.

The enemy waypoint base is in the usual position down here. On the way there, I spot an enemy leader too far away to actually care about.

At the base, there's a shocktrooper crouching. He gets the usual treatment.

These enemies are a lot beefier in defense than what we're used to. It's still not enough to save this guy from two Mags SMGs trained on him.

...So, yeah, the home base is a mess. That new symbol at the flag is a Gatling Turret, stationary buildings that shoot high powered machine guns at your units from a distance. They hurt like hell, but they also suffer from relatively low armor damage defense. They have an upgraded cousin, the Bunker, which hurts even more and is very defensive. It hs an even worse cousin we'll see much, much later, thankfully.

The other one is a Mortarer, which is the side-upgrade to Lancer that replaces the rockets with high powered, long range grenades. Our tank can fire mortars too, but I usually don't bother.

Marion's been used twice this round, so her AP is drained beyond any hope of mobility. I send in Helmut to scout the situation instead.

Check out that minimap. If there was any map that punished you for taking the direct path, this map definitely does it.

I send Helmut to take out the Veteran Scout on the flag first. Point blanking people like this was a preferred tactic of mine in VC1, and it still works in this game provided you don't get entirely chewed up getting in their face.

As expected. :golfclap:

With Helmut in position, I send a few other units to farm up credits.

Doesn't really go well for Team Anime's stalker. Melissa does trick an enemy into damaging fine masonry.

Noel gets some credit, though. The damage boost from being behind an enemy really kicks in here.

Lotte helps Melissa take out that shocktrooper, leaving me with only one CP.

Welp, here goes nothing.

Perfect shot! Bowled him right between the sandbags.

I just love how the enemy gives up when they lose their base camp. It makes everything so much easier for me.

Oh yeah, these missions also reward tons of money and experience for this point in the game. I won't have to worry about paying for upgrades as long as I do one of these every once in a while.

I'll take it. This mission is a good source of Attk credits, if you're looking to farm them early on.

Now that we've done that, the game will immediately cut into Marion's 4th and final event.

--------

Warning: Awkward Conversation Ahead- Reading at work NOT recommended!

Link to the scene's full voice acting (for the full :stonk: experience)

Music: Theme of Class G

*Marion zips onto the screen*

: Ngah?! Wh-whoa, Marion! HOLD ON!

: They've made significant changes to the barrel, and to the magazine...
: This is new... No. This is revolutionary! I'm trembling!
: This form... This tone! This buttery luster!

: Uhh... Marion?
: Nh? Who, what?!

: I collect them as a hobby. And clean them. And touch them all over...
: Err, it's... not really my thing, but it sounds like you're into it.

: So when I saw you in the R&D building, you were...
: Yes. I'd heard the tech team had just developed a new line of weapons.
: I was flustered when you caught me... I owe Ms. Lane an apology.

: My parents have long expressly forbid me from mentioning it to anyone.
: They say it's unladylike. That it's shameful, and best kept a secret.

: Heh, I guess Joachim might be little bit surprised.
: ...This was my only reason for decieving you so. I hope you'll forgive me.*

: Forget about appearances and your family name. You like what you like!
: It's part of what makes you...you, Marion.
: Nobody's gonna like you any less for it.

: I should expend my effort reaching out to people, not hiding from them.

--

Awkward Warning is now no longer in effect.

* The original line uses "that" instead of "this". It was a bit confusing, so I made that slight change.

...So...yeah. That was an interesting event. Unlike what we usually see, Avan's actually being a good person and an understanding leader for once. Marion's quirk is...something, especially so with the voice acting. It's a unique quirk I suppose, I've never seen it before, but it's probably been done somewhere else.

The voice acting still makes me incredibly :stonk:, which just goes to show how much good voice acting can add.

...That's about all I've got, this event has rendered me speechless each time I've seen it. Don't get me wrong, I still like Marion, she's just strange.

We'll close out with the last of her information.

I'll show this in a second. This also isn't the only potential that she can gain from story reasons, but I'll leave that to your imagination for now.

Theimer was the guy who worked on the Edelweiss, Squad 7's legendary tank.

Appropriately, I make Marion the Mags-S-1, the design we got from that bonus mission. I figure she'll want that.

I use the experience and money for many upgrades...

And lastly, Marion's new potential. It's good, though I forget precisely when it triggers. It may be special weapons, or it might just be weapons in general.

With that we end this episode of The Secret Life of Marion Siegbahn, but I have a short announcement to make!

Polling is now open again!

I'm doing this now because there's no more character events lined up and the next update will finish of this month. My schedule just opened up, so I want to be able to build an update buffer for real this time. That, and well, this was a short update. We'll have a larger than normal update coming soon.

Units

Like before, you get 6 votes that can be put positive or negatively towards a unit, I'll focus on the top 6 as always. Marion can still be voted for, but other troopers with unseen stories will take priority.

We also have a new shocktrooper coming up, Pete Stang. He's Avan's friend and hates Zeri's guts.

Also of note:

This is from the very first update. If you look right underneath Avan's text, you'll see Pete standing there.

For the full list, check this updated list of all of the characters we've seen: Current List of Characters

Tank Name

It's also time to change our tank's name. 6 characters max, as usual. We'll get the first component for Lavinia to become incredibly powerful next month, and the other on the month after that.

Squad Name

It's also time for Team Anime to retire (it can be voted for again), so the same rules for name applies as before: nothing rude, 6 character max. Find the list of titles in the list mentioned above.

Other Minor Votes:
- Should we use the Gallian-X-1? It's only real application is for teaming up with assist attacks, but I can put it to use.
- Noel will be able to promote into Lancer Veteran soon, should we do that or wait to have her become a Mortarer?

Extras:
Quoted straight from the wiki:
"Marion was created with the phrase "gap moe" in mind, referring to the notion of an individual who is "secretly in love with something or other." Ozawa commented that they managed to come up with a character that would be most unlikely to have any interest in things such as weapons. He stated that her current bosom was not necessarily intended and kind of grew into place during development."

...Yeah, I didn't need to know the last part. Thanks wiki.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

helmut, noel, mischlitt, randy, Sophia, Anisette

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I was listening to that voice acting while reading the update when I suddenly heard someone coming up the stairs and immediately turned it off. :stare:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I grew up in a rural town, so I'm familiar with lots of gun nuts. A lot of them are like that! Although, it's funny, in my experience "gun nut" is a sliding scale. Compared to my liberal city dwelling friends, I'm a gun nut! Just because I've used them before and know what they are. It's important info to know, in my opinion.

Anyway, as for the game... I'd say skip using the status guns, they're awful. Yet I always felt compelled to develop them anyway! Gotta make number go up. Having never played this game I don't know if a mortar launcher unit will ever be useful, but in VC1 and 4 they were pretty handy. Seems like you should have at least one of them around.

As for who to use, hows about...
Chloe
Franca
Coleen
Sofia
Mischlitt

Girl Power! Woo.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

I don't care if Marion is kind of creepy about guns. I still love her.

I don't really have an opinion on the current crop of characters. I do agree with Doctor Reynolds on avoiding Status Guns though. The only use I've found for Status Weapons are as base defence. Better accuracy and better damage are almost always more useful for these games, because you should be striving to make sure everything dies in one or two attacks at most (with the exception of bosses).

Theimer was the guy who worked on the Edelweiss, Squad 7's legendary tank.

Extras:
...Yeah, I didn't need to know the last part. Thanks wiki.

Just to be "that guy", but Theimer didn't work on Edelweiss (if you are using "worked on" to refer to maintenance). He designed and built it (with input from Belgan Gunther) from scratch. He actually didn't even get to see it put into action, because the war was over by the time it was completed and he died before the outbreak of EWII.

As for Marion's bust, at least it isn't as ridiculous as... other characters that also appear in this game. No, I am not referring to Alicia.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I grew up in a rural town, so I'm familiar with lots of gun nuts. A lot of them are like that! Although, it's funny, in my experience "gun nut" is a sliding scale. Compared to my liberal city dwelling friends, I'm a gun nut! Just because I've used them before and know what they are. It's important info to know, in my opinion.

Anyway, as for the game... I'd say skip using the status guns, they're awful. Yet I always felt compelled to develop them anyway! Gotta make number go up. Having never played this game I don't know if a mortar launcher unit will ever be useful, but in VC1 and 4 they were pretty handy. Seems like you should have at least one of them around.

I'm from a rural area, so I'm also used to gun nuts, but Marion is especially enthusiastic. I'm more of a muzzleloader type person, but that's just because I've done a bit of reenactment in my time.

Status weapons really aren't great for much. I think the Cival swords have more damage for a short time, but in general everything that's not a mainline gun or A series gun tends to suck. I'm planning on having at least one of each unit for demonstration purposes anyways, but I've never found too much use out of mortars in this game. Enemies don't usually like to bunch up enough to make a good shot, but there's a few situations where they work well enough.

Psycho Knight posted:

I don't care if Marion is kind of creepy about guns. I still love her.

I don't really have an opinion on the current crop of characters. I do agree with Doctor Reynolds on avoiding Status Guns though. The only use I've found for Status Weapons are as base defence. Better accuracy and better damage are almost always more useful for these games, because you should be striving to make sure everything dies in one or two attacks at most (with the exception of bosses).

Marion's still fine by me. I really don't mind strange characters and the repressed personality makes a nice twist to the demure lady that she normally appears to be.

Seems like I've got two votes to ignore the status guns, which I can't say I'm disappointed about. They're really not great and I hardly ever use them.

Speaking of bosses, I've had Alexis two shot a boss. Triggering 3 damage boosts at one time really ramps your damage up.

Psycho Knight posted:

Just to be "that guy", but Theimer didn't work on Edelweiss (if you are using "worked on" to refer to maintenance). He designed and built it (with input from Belgan Gunther) from scratch. He actually didn't even get to see it put into action, because the war was over by the time it was completed and he died before the outbreak of EWII.

As for Marion's bust, at least it isn't as ridiculous as... other characters that also appear in this game. No, I am not referring to Alicia.

I meant "worked on" as in designed. I realize that is a bit vague now, but then again, my memory's constantly letting me down.

Also, did you mean Juliana? Because Alicia's comparatively even to some of our present units.

This poll will be left open for another day or two, so there's plenty of time for everyone to get their votes in. If no votes are given for the Squad and Tank names, I'll just leave 'em the same (though I might have a little fun with the title).

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Team Anime is a great name.

SOLarian
Oct 29, 2012
Pillbug
To offer some choice and also looking back on our treatment of fellow students: "Team no Fairplay"

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Alexis
Raymond
Renee
Franca
Chloe

Leaving the last choice to OP.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
We should make the tank Rudolf and the squad Team Santa because of the holiday season. Our boys and girls deliver presents grenades to the chimneys sandbags of everyone

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Slaan posted:

We should make the tank Rudolf and the squad Team Santa because of the holiday season. Our boys and girls deliver presents grenades to the chimneys sandbags of everyone

I like it

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

random vote for Anisette and some other people.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Slaan posted:

I've gotta say, I like Team no Fairplay, but this one's a good contender as well. Rudolf can definitely bring some holiday cheer when we get our first real upgrade.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

random vote for Anisette and some other people.

Hm, random vote? I guess I'll roll this on some dice then- I hope that's what you meant.

Since you've left 5 options open, I can divide that to be between each of the classes.

5x Scouts - 1d6 re-roll on 6
5x Troopers (Excluding Avan and Zeri) 1d6 re-roll on 6
4x Lancers - 1d4
4x Engineers (Excluding Cosette) 1d4
4x Armor Techs 1d4

Results are:
1 (Nichol)
3 (Anisette)
3 (Coleen)
2 (Randy)
1 (Joachim)

Plus your vote for Anisette, this comes out to be:

Anisette x 2, Nichol, Coleen, Randy, Joachim

Tell me if you want any of those changed.

Also, here's the current tally, provided I can actually count:
Units
Anisette x 4
Mischlitt x 2
Sofia x 2
Randy x 2
Coleen x 2
Chloe x 2
Franca x 2
Alexis x 2

Helmut x 1
Noel x 1
Raymond x 1
Renee x 1
Nichol x 1
Joachim x 1

OP's Vote x 1

Team Name
Team Anime x 1
Team no Fairplay x 1
Team Santa x 2

Tank Name
Rudolf x 1

General consensus is to ignore status weapons and to leave Noel as she is for now, in case we want her to be a mortarer.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

On second thought I dearly regret the post that was here originally :cripes:

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 3, 2019

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

:stonk:

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

HardDiskD posted:

On second thought I dearly regret the post that was here originally :cripes:

I didn't see it, but...

...this tells me I probably didn't want to. Good on you for realizing that and editing it out, I guess?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

It wasn't that bad, honestly

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Random vote is good.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Closing the polls for now, I'll mention these results in Update 15, when we start the new month. I'm starting the recording already. My time's opened up a good deal already, though I'm still figuring my way through which of my projects I'll be able to pursue more directly for the next while. I think they'll end up being interesting ideas, but this takes priority over doing those and also determining how much time I have to myself (voice recording is impossible when there's a bunch of people around).

One of these days, I swear I'm just going to have to write a program to speed this process up.

Units
Anisette x 4 (I see we chose the best Trooper, stat-wise.)
Mischlitt x 2 (Her story should be easy to get done.)
Sofia x 2 (Well, this will really do wonders for everyone's opinion of the game.)
Randy x 2 (This is an interesting one- I can do two engineers.)
Coleen x 2 (I never saw past her second event, so this is fine.)
Chloe x 2 (Oh, her mission is probably going to be tough this early.)

Primary Reserve Units (Will be used as temporary fill-ins if needed)
Franca x 2 (Will tap in for Anisette if needed.)
Alexis x 2 (Will take in for Mischlitt if needed.)
Noel x 2 (The vote left to me went here. Here to tap in for Coleen, if needed.)

Team Name
Team Santa

Tank Name
Rudolf (Time to spread some late Christmas cheer!)

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Update 14 (Story): In Which Everyone Does A Terrible Job

Welcome back to this anime game about school and guns. It has a name, but I forgot. This time we continue with that main story or whatever it was we were supposed to be doing.

But first, a daily event appears!

--

: Well, yeah! There's so much you can do when it snows.
: Building snowmen, having snowball wars, it's fun!
: I'm not good with cold weather, so I usually stay indoors.
: What about you, Mischlitt? What did you do on a snowy days as a child?

: No, inside. Looking out on an endless field of pure white...
: It gave me clarity. My reading speed and memory were both enhanced.

--

Well, that was appropriate, given we're nearing Christmas now. It's a fun little event, even if it is short and simple.

I don't know why, but for some reason when it snows or gets really cold, I get an urge to play Don't Starve. No idea why, I just do.

Anywho, let's get a move on to our main story.

--

~* Briefing Room - Main Story: Laevatein Preliminaries *~

: Are you prepared?

: Even as you advisor, I can't honestly rate Class G as anything but sub-par.
: I hope you'll at least avoid any casualties out there.

Dude, Brixy, have you even seen our track record so far? It's all A's.

: Then I'll have the pleasure of watching you perform a miracle.
: I look forward to seeing that happen. Now go to the drill ground.

: It's doubtful. We're marching off to abject humiliation.

: What's a handful of guys compared to that? Right? It's foolproof?

Offscreen Voice: The word "foolproof" comes most readily from the mouths of fools.

: Who asked you, Juliana?

Juliana's part of the Armor Tech class tree, so her armor is a result of that, but it has to be backbreaking at this point. Also, here's another Leon mention, just so you don't forget about him.

: Just what? And how would you even know Leon?!
: Leon Hardins was one of the most gifted students this academy has known.
: He was also a commander of impressive skill. And I am not one to flatter.

: I respected him as a peer. I'm confident my own skill is superior, however.
: Just know that I'll be watching you, to know just how disgusted I should be.

:byodood: : Sir!

: Yo!
: All right, maggots! Listen up!
: For the Cup, we run a real combat simulation, Gallian Army rules.
: You'll be firing practice rounds, but they can kill if you're not lucky.

Does that apply to the grenades too?

Not surrendering while you had the chance was your mistake, dude. You should know by this point Class G likes its grenades.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Update 14 (Combat): In Which Everyone Does A Terrible Job
----

Music - Briefing

Here we are, the mission required to progress into March. This one is the first real attempt at a challenge the game will give.

Our drop in point is here at Drill Ground 2. I'm not likely going to be taking this path, since it manages to be more inconvenient than the main pathway. I'll set some units there anyways.

You see, the waypoint base there connects to this upper left one, and the enemy leader is at the normal base in the bottom right. They can stuff a lot of enemies in those sharp corners.

This is the final team I decide on. I put Marion in the vehicle slot just so she starts forward a bit more. Normally, it's just like that so the tank doesn't displace everything upon spawning. Lavinia will see some use today, but not immediately.

Music: Exciting Battle

Marion's up first.

Going for the flag, she tries to attack a shocktrooper only for him to dodge out of the way. At this point in the game, enemies actually have an evasion stat, and thus can actually dodge attacks.

She dodges in return. That was a waste of CP!

Time for Avan to help out a bit.

: "May I accompany you, Avan?"

So, once a unit's storyline is complete, Avan is added to the list of units they like and they get a few new lines that acknowledge his presence.

(Yes, I did this intentionally to show this off.)

He doesn't dodge that time, and he really should've.

Avan grabs the flag and waits in the grass for an ambush.

The enemies are no longer holding back on damage output, and Marion's down half her health. I send her back to get recovered before I bring her back out.

It's time for Taxi! to show some fools that their tank ain't nothin' compared to ours. Don't bring your tanks to fight Class G- we'll only blow it up for fun.

drat, can't wedge through to get behind it.

I take a risky shot instead.

Didn't work. Also not a great position to end your turn on.

Noel's happy to do the job she signed on for and send a rocket this dude's way.

As expected.

I send Noel back because... well, I'm dumb, I guess. She would have been fine for holding the flag. Anyways, because Marion is still more wounded than I'd prefer, I bring in Franca for I think the first time.

She was the second highest voted trooper on the list, given priority because she was first, I guess.

She promptly runs into a mine, making this whole first round a bundle of mistakes.

Either way, I need her to at least clear out the lancer.

: "Learn some respect!"

She manages that, barely.

After that, I have her delete the sniper with a grenade. Units can still dodge grenades- they'll take half damage and not be knocked back by it.

: "Think about it!"

Snipers are flimsy enough to not survive it either way.

Not a lot of progress for the first round, really, but I'll take it.

I leave Franca to guard the flag, despite her low HP. The regen bonus from the flag should help.

The enemy decides to attack Zeri and Melissa, on the map I'm mostly ignoring.

Wait, what!?

HAH

I figure the AI would've realized that lances have terrible accuracy, but I guess not.

Zeri shoots a dude.

Melissa moves up to help him with taking out this shocktrooper.

Scout and trooper isn't nearly as good a pairing as two troopers. Zeri was on his last bullet.

I'll just leave them there now. I recall Lavinia and to send her after the boss.

:argh: You people and your stupid mines! You don't even have promoted techs, you cheaters!

: "Major damage!"

drat, that one hurt. Lavinia's also sitting on one right now as well, so she's not moving anymore. When mines click as you set them off, you can stand in place and it won't trigger them to blow. At that point, you'd usually do best to send a tech to disarm it from under their feet/treads.

These people also have two tanks. Each class only gets one you gigantic cheaters!

Ah, well, these wimpy things crumple under just one shot and they reward tons of morale. Thanks for making it easy, jerks.

Willoch, you're up. Clear this joker out for me.

Note that the radiators get progressively more red the more damaged a vehicle is. It's a neat touch.

: "Hey, I got 'em!"

Fire is also a nice touch. Class G loves its explosions, after all.

With that out of the way, I send her to confront the enemy boss.

...With a little backup, of course.

...Though I must've been a bit short a few tools in the toolbox the day I did this. I'm making mistakes everywhere. At least shooting this guy shows you how ridiculously overbuffed boss enemies are.

Yeah, so this might not end well for one of our girls.

...Unless the enemy is having as bad a day as I am. Why would you even attack another lancer with another lancer?

Wow, okay, they're really on top of it today. Thanks for picking up the slack on my terrible strategy today, folks.

:ohdear: She's standing right there, and he's probably going to hit her in the head with that shot at this angle-

:psyduck: How the hell are these people even rated as high as Class C? How is this dude class chair!? You just whiffed a sniper shot into the sandbags you're taking cover behind.

Yes, I know the AI sometimes has poor recognition of where their bullet is going.

The enemy closed their round with from this horrible whiff by this enemy lancer. He hit the wall beside Avan and failed to even hit him with splash damage.

...The AI has really lost it here. I don't even know what it thinks it's doing anymore. Noel, please end this.

What is it with people today and dodging? Eh, whatever, I just wanted your sandbag gone, jerk.

: "I'm feelin' good, really good!"

I'll take that as well. Ammo Refill is one of the most useful potentials for lancers, given their poor ammo count. It fully refills their ammo and randomly triggers after an attack.

Basically, you can't hit this guy if he can see you. Though this looked like me being an idiot again, it actually wasn't. Even when an enemy misses, units will turn to face their assailant.

This mission's a cinch at this point, so here's a nice demonstration of how much drat armor and HP this guy has. His rifle will nearly one-shot most of your units, even if he doesn't headshot. This is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to this game and boss units.

Speaking of headshots, have I mentioned that lances can headshot personnel units?

"Win by default", you said? I think you meant "free trip to the infirmary."

Seriously though, what even was that? I played awful, they played awful- that whole thing was nearly tragic.

Still got an A, somehow.

This is also the earliest you get Certificates, the credit always required to promote to the first branch of promotions. Noel in fact already has enough to promote now, but as per request, we'll hold off on that for just a little bit.

Franca also got one, though she doesn't yet have the other credits she'll need to promote.

--
Music: Theme of Class G

Dude, you can still talk? I figured you'd be out cold after taking that to the back of the head.

: It's like I'm dreaming. We actually won!
: Woo hoo! We did it! Supreme victory!

Oh, hey, you.

: That was just a warm-up!

: You certainly took your time.

: Class A put the slackers in Class C out in three minutes yesterday. Three.

Hey, uh, if a whole turn is a minute, then we did it in slightly less than that.

:byodood: : There's no chance of anyone beating us with Juliana at the helm!

: Listen carefully. Victory in war depends on an able-minded commander.

You're also a gigantic cheater, but we'll get to that when we get there.

: It's only in the hands of a master that those pawns are able to win victory.
: Pawns?! How can you talk about your squad that way?
It's an apt metaphor. I'm certain your brother felt the same about his men.
: No way! Not Leon...

: I don't recall asking for your opinion, Darcsen.
: My name is Zeri.
: And nothing more. Darcsens lost their last names because of their crimes.

I'd like to take a moment to note that we're eventually supposed to like Juliana. Think about that.

: Class G was successful today because Avan brought each of our talents out.
: I sincerely doubt you could have done the same had you been in command.
: How dare you!

We're supposed to like her. At least I presume so, judging on later events. She's prevalent in the main story, unfortunately.

: I wasn't My intention was to communicate your incompetence.
: Knowing we can't rely on you means we all have to scramble to compensate.

Kinda true, really.

*Avan rushes up to Zeri*

Ah, here's Cosette to reprise her role of stopping fights. She'd make a more interesting leader, even if she is terrible in combat.

We finally made it to a new month, folks. Spring is here! But, before we end, plot!

Music: Theme of the Rebels

Time to meet the antagonists.

Hey, my man, that mascara does not work on you. You also look like Maximillian from VC1, so we all know where this is going.

Big forehead, big brain.

You thought this couldn't get any more anime.

What's up, knockoff Dr. Eggman?

*Everyone cheers*

*Someone giving slow applause*

: Think nothing of it. The pleasure is mine to have been of service.
: I pray our partnership will continue to thrive.

: Watch your tongue, boy.
: Hmph. What perfect Gallia can be build, except by the hands of her people?
: I do not know your intent in coming here, but I bid you leave Gallia at once!
: Baldren! Stop this.

You know that conversation in the thread we were having about the rebels about a month ago? This might explain some stuff.

: Do not think our successes this far have been your doing alone!
: Rrgh...

: Not at all, good Count. I am certain he will one day lead the revolution.
: His proud bearing and fiery passion are virtues, both.
: I am greatly relieved to hear you say it.
: Now, with your leave, I'll be on my way. Until the next war council, Count.

*He exits the scene*

: Audrey! Then you see no problem with this?!
: The Federation intends to use us to pull Gallia under it's influence!
: Without them, we lack the resources to continue the fight.
: We need simply to use them more thoroughly than they use us.

: Learn from your sister's example and get used to dealing with the Feds.
: ...With your leave.

*He promptly walks off*

: His father, of course. From where I stand, you two make a fine pair.
: You are excused, my dear.

She's the Yggdist believer I mentioned when that got brought up 3 updates ago.

*She walks off*

: Dirk. Collect Baldren and come to my chambers. I have orders for you.

--

Well, that's ominous. Anyways, that's all we've got for today's showing of Gun With the Wind, we'll see y'all folks next time.

New Characters:

Gilbert Gassenarl
:"The spark of revolution would have died long ago, if not for Federation aid!"
Supreme commander of rebels. Head of House Gassenarl, and a bold and strong fighter.

Baldren Gassenarl
:"Father! You must not allow this Federation viper to seduce you with promises!"
Infantry commander and the military leader of the rebels. Eldest son of Gilbert. Proud patriot.

Audrey Gassenarl
:"...From his father, of course. From where I stand, you two make a fine pair."
Rebel tank commander and former army major. She is also a devout follower of Yggdism.

Dirk Gassenarl
:"Understood."
Commander of rebel special forces. Mother not the same as siblings. Uses special armor.

Jean Townshend
:"Ah, not at all, good Count. I am certain he will one day lead the revolution."
Federation emissary. Supports Archduchess in public, but has secret dealings with rebels.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 6, 2019

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Fun things the game leaves out: said federation ambassador also attempted a failed coup in the last game in order to make Gallia a federation vassal. This coup featured among other things kidnapping the ruler of the country and for whatever reason was so swept under the rug he was allowed to keep his job by the locals.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Not to imply that the rest of the update isn't worthwhile but next to this:

Just lmao

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

FoolyCharged posted:

Fun things the game leaves out: said federation ambassador also attempted a failed coup in the last game in order to make Gallia a federation vassal. This coup featured among other things kidnapping the ruler of the country and for whatever reason was so swept under the rug he was allowed to keep his job by the locals.

Not exactly farfetched compared to reality, honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Tae posted:

Not exactly farfetched compared to reality, honestly

Yeah, chalk it down to "aggressive imperialism", even if the Federation isn't an empire by definition of the word. A lot of countries in the real world have supported fringe groups so they could indirectly overthrow the government and turn it to their side.

Kibayasu posted:

Not to imply that the rest of the update isn't worthwhile but next to this:

#Dirk, the Anime Man

Just lmao

Yeah, basically, Just wait until we get the actual backstory on this guy, it's great.

Just saying it now, he's also a pushover when you know how to deal with him due to game mechanics.