Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Izo waa one of the captains for Whitebeard during the war arc. Love how every new OP character lately has somehow appeared or been mentioned pre timeskip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
And the octopus fishman guy Karma is one of Whitebeard's allies from the war. Hope he gave up his human trafficking bullshit.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I love Oden Piece so much

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's kind of a weird thing to say but I think the flashbacks might consistently be my favourite parts of One Piece.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
This is my favorite flashback so far.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Love the shot of Oden casually sleeping while holding on to the chain.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Supersonic Shine posted:

Roger looks more like his son than usual.

I think this is one of the first times we've seen Roger without his eyes in shadow. He's usually drawn to look hulking, shadowy and mysterious, having him actually be a viewpoint character is new.

Gonna be lol if this ends up with Whitebeard doing anything to pawn Oden off onto Roger up to and including throwing a Davy Back Fight. They even have Whitebeard obliquely reference the problem he experienced firsthand of a crew with too many dominant personalities who want to do their own thing.

Oden is definitely being shown as a lot like Luffy, complete with sheer childlike glee at being exposed to so many new things in his travels.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Of course it's a break next week. Of course it is. :negative:

Tir McDohl posted:

Looks like Toki is from the Void Century.

Yeah, she definitely is. I love how that was a casual throwaway line, even. Makes sense, since it would mean nothing to Oden and presumably the rest of Whitebeard's crew as well.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think this is one of the first times we've seen Roger without his eyes in shadow. He's usually drawn to look hulking, shadowy and mysterious, having him actually be a viewpoint character is new.

What about when Roger was hearing the voice of the Sea Kings on the ocean floor? Not sure if that was anime filler or not.

Still, I do think this is the first time we've seen Roger with softer, younger features.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mraagvpeine posted:

I just know someone is going to make a joke that Toki is a weebo.

It was you!!!!!

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I've been reading this comic for ten years and I can't believe we're on the very cusp of our first fully-fledged flashback with Gol D. Roger... It's almost sad... It really feels like One Piece is entering its home stretch!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Gonna be lol if this ends up with Whitebeard doing anything to pawn Oden off onto Roger up to and including throwing a Davy Back Fight. They even have Whitebeard obliquely reference the problem he experienced firsthand of a crew with too many dominant personalities who want to do their own thing.

Oden is definitely being shown as a lot like Luffy, complete with sheer childlike glee at being exposed to so many new things in his travels.

God, that's totally going to be it. And that will be the key to Roger getting to Laugh Tale, and those "in the know" will think Roger masterminded the whole scenario.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

For years people have posited all these wild theories about how Roger planned out his journey to Raftel and poo poo but in reality he just thought samurai were wicked cool and lucked out in finding a guy who also happened to be able to read the world's history. Classic loving Oda. I love him.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Cat Machine posted:

For years people have posited all these wild theories about how Roger planned out his journey to Raftel and poo poo but in reality he just thought samurai were wicked cool and lucked out in finding a guy who also happened to be able to read the world's history. Classic loving Oda. I love him.

hold on, do we know if Oden can read that? or is it possible that Toki, having lived in the relevant era, knows that poo poo. So he lucked out on finding a cool guy who also happened to be dating the girl who could read the world's history.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

hold on, do we know if Oden can read that? or is it possible that Toki, having lived in the relevant era, knows that poo poo. So he lucked out on finding a cool guy who also happened to be dating the girl who could read the world's history.
Chapter 818 established that Oden can read/write Poneglyphese

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I didn't think that we'd be lucky enough to get a Davy Back Fight again, let alone in this arc, but Oden being on Roger's crew and Izu still being a Whitebeard ally is filling me with hope. I want to believe.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It is extremely telling that to me that when Whitebeard lets Oden on the ship he calls him brother, not son.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Where were you when Whitebeard bodyslammed Oars Jr at Wrestlemania III brother?????????

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I really want Oden to drop a fake "O D. En" reveal at some point to just entertain himself.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

we're gonna get roger and rayleigh face gags and it's gonna be great

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I legit could follow this crazy man for an entire year.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

How long has Oda been sitting on Oden? Just waiting, silently and patiently, to pull this stupendous motherfucker out of the bag?

I never thought I'd be sad to get back to the present, but god drat, I love him.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

wano is so good... i duunno how... I DONT KNOW HOW!!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oden owns

Odeowns

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

what if Oden is the One Piece

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ZiegeDame posted:

It is extremely telling that to me that when Whitebeard lets Oden on the ship he calls him brother, not son.

Maybe he calls his allies brothers like the Whitebeard Armada at Marineford?

Cat Machine posted:

I've been reading this comic for ten years and I can't believe we're on the very cusp of our first fully-fledged flashback with Gol D. Roger... It's almost sad... It really feels like One Piece is entering its home stretch!

It was a good ten years of adventures at least, right?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The Own Piece.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 30, 2019

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
He might call his weaker subordinates son and his equals brother

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Rearranged slightly, One D. Piece

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Still lolin at those faces.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

How long has Oda been sitting on Oden? Just waiting, silently and patiently, to pull this stupendous motherfucker out of the bag?

I never thought I'd be sad to get back to the present, but god drat, I love him.

It honestly makes you wonder how Orochi brought him down, even with Kaido’s help.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fooma posted:

Rearranged slightly, One D. Piece

There was a slight error in communication-they heard him say "D. One Piece", which others interpreted as "The One Piece", but Roger actually just said "Done. Peace."

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
This flashback is the perfect time for Oda to reveal to us if Rodger had a devil fruit.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Asuron posted:

It honestly makes you wonder how Orochi brought him down, even with Kaido’s help.

Probably by doing the absolute shittiest thing he could think of, failing anyway and then getting bailed out by the Beast pirates at the last moment.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

He might call his weaker subordinates son and his equals brother

I think it has to do with their wills than their level of strength, his subordinates are with him because they all look up to him and wish to follow him so he calls them his sons while Oden clearly has his own ambitions and is just tagging along for the ride. He’s more of a guest and kindred spirit I suppose

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
can't wait for roger and whitebeard to invent the davyback fight

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Elfgames posted:

can't wait for roger and whitebeard to invent the davyback fight

More like Oden comes up with it as a fun game while everyone else is drinking.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Asuron posted:

I bet you we're gonna see his fall and boiling execution in this flashback and cry a river of tears over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
He's gonna die holding his son over his head like Ishikawa Goemon and it's gonna be devestating