Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

looked like they were making space booze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Classic western trope of the raiders stealing farmer poo poo and making moonshine

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Man, it's going to feel dark when they reveal that baby Yoda is as mentally developed as a 50 year old man and has been using the force to manipulate the Mandalorian the entire time.

Take baby Yoda, go on the lam to desolate planets in hiding; isn't this how Mando got him to begin with? Fitting in with alien kids a tenth his age? Baby Yoda is a cuckoo, a brood parasite adapted to the force. He's adorably building an extra national army of killers.

Dont be confused by his cute demeanor. That baby Yoda grew up surrounded by the chaos of the clone wars. When he was 24 years old, he saw the establishment of the galactic empire and news reports of Jedi betraying the chancellor. As an unregistered force user he went into hiding during the purges that would follow and, through guile and manipulation, was never apprehended. That is a dangerous baby yoda.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Gina Carano is definitely not a good actress but I thought she was better in this than anything else I've seen her in. She had a few decent deliveries but yea overall not too great.

Love love love the music in this show. Really sets a unique tone yet still feels Star Wars-y. Whenever they do their next new trilogy they should hire this guy as the composer for it.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I love how Mando paid the waitress what could amount to millions of dollars for all we know for info on the woman, and then another, similar quantity to watch baby Yoda. What we likely don’t see is the waitress quitting her job on the spot and telling her boss to gently caress himself, leaving baby Yoda free to exit the restaurant and stumble on Mando and the drop soldier loving in the woods fighting outside.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's funny is that he threw her those credits because he thought she “needed her memory refreshed” as taciturn barkeeps often do and she just thought he was an insanely good tipper (also that actress is Josh Gad's wife)

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
The only non-seedy bar in Star Wars history

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I felt a tonal shift. This episode felt like a family friendly fun fest.

What would you expect from Bryce Dallas Howard directing? If she got any influence from her dad of course it would be to make everything folksy and family friendly.. maybe they should have gotten Kat Denning to play the waitress?

quote:

This felt like the Ewok Adventure. Let's hope it returns to form next week.

What, back to flying severed limbs and assorted gore every 10 seconds? Nah what we got this episode was fine, the worst mighta been Gina cramming that guy's face into the glowy blue shrimp moonshine they were making or whatever.

Mando also showing poor parenting skills as he bribes total stranger waitress to watch the kid. For all he knows she might just think that kid would make a great broth..

I was hoping Space Cat / The Claw's Cat From Inspector Gadget would eat baby Yoda

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 30, 2019

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I feel like I'm gonna need a plush of that space cat as much as a baby Yoda figure. Love a good space cat, and that was maybe the best one since Phantasy Star.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

piL posted:

The only non-seedy bar in Star Wars history

You will never find a more pleasant home of soup and ambiance

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
You want some life sticks?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

teagone posted:

I'm not trying to gatekeep on how to watch shows or anything like that, because it's fine to be critical about logical inconsistencies in whatever you're watching. And sure, it can be fun to poke and prod said inconsistencies and think of other ways the story could have been told. But yeah, letting any kind of technical lapses affect one's own enjoyment of whatever narrative content that they're ingesting comes off as missing the point imo: which is that a story is being told—not a documentary—that entails its own narrative goals.
For real. I'll be saying this until I'm blue in the face, but Cinema Sins has convinced people that not being media literate is just as good as being media literate and speaking as somebody who used to watch movies and television this way before film school shook that impulse out of me, it is 100% the least productive possible way to make yourself feel smarter.

When you watch things looking for things to complain about, you're engaging with insecurity. The need to feel smarter than the creators of the things you're trying to enjoy does not make you so. And worse yet, you will never enjoy absolutely anything because you'll be too busy looking for ways to feel smart.

The funny thing is, it wasn't learning more about film that made me stop, though that didn't hurt. It was the sheer number of useless people in film school who do this showing me how annoying I must've been to be so angry and judgmental about things I could never hope to make myself.

They'll read scripts or watch student films and fixate on an unimportant detail or willfully misunderstand important ones and then loudly announce to everybody that the thing you made is bad because the toothpaste tube in the heroin addict's bathroom was brand new and unopened. And whether you explain back to them that this was a deliberate choice made for whatever reason or you tell them the toothpaste is unimportant entirely, their goal isn't to help. It's to feel smart. By tearing people down. And these people never, never, never make anything good. Or in many cases, anything at all.

They want you to write their script for them. They tell you they're a "big picture person," making you the small picture person doing all the real work. They'll pitch you movies you've already seen and when you point that out, in a move of pure projection, they tell you that you just want to tear things down.

To the man they all want to direct, but don't have any idea what that means, because they think it's just telling everybody what you want and then yelling at them when you don't get it, completely misunderstanding that the captain of a ship has to understand the jobs of literally everybody else on said ship and the ins and outs of the ship itself. They'll have no idea how to talk to the DP and they never, ever storyboard anything. If you're lucky enough to get a shot list out of them, they'll hand you 40 shots to do in three hours. When you explain that it can't be done, they yell at you.

They all love Quentin Tarantino and when you try to teach them good principles of filmmaking, they say "Quentin breaks rules all the time," again not understanding that Tarantino knows every single principle of filmmaking inside and out so he can break them effectively. So they spend two-to-four years telling the people they themselves are paying to teach them that they don't know anything useful.

And they're always men and boys. Because nobody else gets rewarded for aggressive mediocrity to the point that they have a clear path to become this person.

So, yeah, if something egregiously breaks its own rules? You're allowed to notice that and not like it. But don't be this person.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

The tracking fobs is a thing that doesn't sit well with me. Hope they never ever attempt to explain how these work.

"Chain code" is GFFA-speak for "DNA"

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

zoux posted:

What's funny is that he threw her those credits because he thought she “needed her memory refreshed” as taciturn barkeeps often do and she just thought he was an insanely good tipper (also that actress is Josh Gad's wife)

Yeah, i love how she completely sold an entire mini-character-arc in like two lines.

Also "Keep an eye on the kid."

*Does not keep an eye on the kid*

syense
Oct 13, 2018

people who play large jenga at bars have nothing of interest in their lives.
yeah the waitress scene was what would happen if you threw $500 at your waitress at Space IHOP and asked about the lonely old man at the bar. They would say thank you sir would you like an extra chocolate milk.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

upgunned shitpost posted:

looked like they were making space booze.

They were trying to horn in on the lucrative blue dye industry that the greedy villagers had monopolized through hereditary control of the shrimp.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The battlefront games have shown how scary an AT-ST can be when you instantly get zapped up one.

Here is a little gameplay footage, wich of course it being a videogame is different, but it still shows how devastating they can be on their own: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVMH-qZz2uI&t=331s

Or at night, on endor, coming through the fog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93lWQJvKehM

This episode was pretty cool in turning it into a hulking monster, although the raiders obviously had no mortars or rockets for it to shoot anymore.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Yeah they did a great job making it menacing. The edgy red lighting was a bit much though. Still loved the ep.

And omg Gina Carano, my heart :swoon: I hope we see more of her character. I looked up the cast on imdb and apparently the mom is in 3 eps. So it sounds like they'll stick around this village for awhile? Maybe he comes back?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Bridges of ships at night are kept as dark as possible, much darker than the lights in that AT-ST, but when you do use a light, you use a red one because it affects your night vision less. Supposedly. There's dissent on the subject, but eerie red lighting at night totally made sense to me.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Also i figured the bandits may have done it intentionally to make it scarier to the villagers

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That's just the "check engine" light which is lighting up the cockpit. The bandits don't know how to make it turn off.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Agree that this was a fun episode but it feels like a definite change in tone. Mando up to this point has been a very reluctant hero but now he seems like the Lone Ranger which is fine, but definitely not what I was expecting after episode 2.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Combat Pretzel posted:

The tracking fobs is a thing that doesn't sit well with me. Hope they never ever attempt to explain how these work.

Force fingerprints

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Coatlicue posted:

And it never made sense that the Mandalorian would even consider leaving the kid there because why would he forget about the hundreds of tracking fobs out there for him?

The fobs only work if you can get close enough for it to start tracking. The only reason that the bounty hunter found them at all was because they made too much noise helping the village.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

piL posted:

Man, it's going to feel dark when they reveal that baby Yoda is as mentally developed as a 50 year old man and has been using the force to manipulate the Mandalorian the entire time.

Take baby Yoda, go on the lam to desolate planets in hiding; isn't this how Mando got him to begin with? Fitting in with alien kids a tenth his age? Baby Yoda is a cuckoo, a brood parasite adapted to the force. He's adorably building an extra national army of killers.

Dont be confused by his cute demeanor. That baby Yoda grew up surrounded by the chaos of the clone wars. When he was 24 years old, he saw the establishment of the galactic empire and news reports of Jedi betraying the chancellor. As an unregistered force user he went into hiding during the purges that would follow and, through guile and manipulation, was never apprehended. That is a dangerous baby yoda.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

drunkill posted:

The battlefront games have shown how scary an AT-ST can be when you instantly get zapped up one.

Here is a little gameplay footage, wich of course it being a videogame is different, but it still shows how devastating they can be on their own: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVMH-qZz2uI&t=331s

Or at night, on endor, coming through the fog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93lWQJvKehM

This episode was pretty cool in turning it into a hulking monster, although the raiders obviously had no mortars or rockets for it to shoot anymore.

Loved the AT-ST since I was a kid, when I only knew it as the chicken walker. And I was a loving menace with that thing in the first couple Battlefront games.

Also, that first AT-ST boss battle in Shadows of the Empire was intimidating until you find out you can get directly underneath it, and spam shots in its crotch.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Midgetskydiver posted:

Agree that this was a fun episode but it feels like a definite change in tone. Mando up to this point has been a very reluctant hero but now he seems like the Lone Ranger which is fine, but definitely not what I was expecting after episode 2.
Given the fact that his backstory is that his village was sacked by raiders and he lost his family, I'm really not surprised even at all that he'd try to prevent that from happening again to a bunch of other children.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Combat Pretzel posted:

The baby's just got a corresponding fob in his pocket the whole time.

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.

Captain Splendid posted:

The baby's just got a corresponding fob in his pocket the whole time.

The more I imagine a scene where he innocently pulls it out of his robes to proudly show a dumbfounded Mando the more I'm really hoping this is true.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Midgetskydiver posted:

Mando was working for pay. He wanted to stick around the planet for a while to lay low. His "pay" would be that he and the kid live in the village for a while. Of course he also figure the job would be simple. Compared to what he usually did, bitch-slapping some bandits would be a training exercise. And it mostly was - except they had the AT-ST.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cara shoulda just suplexed the AT-ST into the moat imo.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I don't really like the action scenes in this show.

This episode they did a good job of introducing the raiders, with the villagers all running away and the widow and kid hiding under the basket. It felt like if they were discovered then they would die.

Then at the end there's an AT-ST standing there and it doesn't do any damage. The villagers run out and fight the bandit raiders with sticks and are all completely fine.

Last week the mandalorian was lying in a cart surrounded by bounty hunters, including some on the roof above him, and he somehow doesn't get shot. Then in the next scene i'm supposed to be worried that Carl Weathers is pointing a blaster at him.

I am aware that the same could be said when Luke, Leia and Han are shooting at Stormtroopers, but i feel like the point of having a bounty hunter show is to keep things more grounded and part of that is having actual stakes. At least in the battles in the movies all the extras got hosed up. Even an Ewok died come to think of it. Yet these villagers seem to have fought off the bandits unscathed.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

For real. I'll be saying this until I'm blue in the face, but Cinema Sins has convinced people that not being media literate is just as good as being media literate and speaking as somebody who used to watch movies and television this way before film school shook that impulse out of me, it is 100% the least productive possible way to make yourself feel smarter.

When you watch things looking for things to complain about, you're engaging with insecurity. The need to feel smarter than the creators of the things you're trying to enjoy does not make you so. And worse yet, you will never enjoy absolutely anything because you'll be too busy looking for ways to feel smart.

The funny thing is, it wasn't learning more about film that made me stop, though that didn't hurt. It was the sheer number of useless people in film school who do this showing me how annoying I must've been to be so angry and judgmental about things I could never hope to make myself.

They'll read scripts or watch student films and fixate on an unimportant detail or willfully misunderstand important ones and then loudly announce to everybody that the thing you made is bad because the toothpaste tube in the heroin addict's bathroom was brand new and unopened. And whether you explain back to them that this was a deliberate choice made for whatever reason or you tell them the toothpaste is unimportant entirely, their goal isn't to help. It's to feel smart. By tearing people down. And these people never, never, never make anything good. Or in many cases, anything at all.

They want you to write their script for them. They tell you they're a "big picture person," making you the small picture person doing all the real work. They'll pitch you movies you've already seen and when you point that out, in a move of pure projection, they tell you that you just want to tear things down.

To the man they all want to direct, but don't have any idea what that means, because they think it's just telling everybody what you want and then yelling at them when you don't get it, completely misunderstanding that the captain of a ship has to understand the jobs of literally everybody else on said ship and the ins and outs of the ship itself. They'll have no idea how to talk to the DP and they never, ever storyboard anything. If you're lucky enough to get a shot list out of them, they'll hand you 40 shots to do in three hours. When you explain that it can't be done, they yell at you.

They all love Quentin Tarantino and when you try to teach them good principles of filmmaking, they say "Quentin breaks rules all the time," again not understanding that Tarantino knows every single principle of filmmaking inside and out so he can break them effectively. So they spend two-to-four years telling the people they themselves are paying to teach them that they don't know anything useful.

And they're always men and boys. Because nobody else gets rewarded for aggressive mediocrity to the point that they have a clear path to become this person.

So, yeah, if something egregiously breaks its own rules? You're allowed to notice that and not like it. But don't be this person.

Just wanted to say that this is a good post.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Binary Badger posted:

What would you expect from Bryce Dallas Howard directing? If she got any influence from her dad of course it would be to make everything folksy and family friendly.. maybe they should have gotten Kat Denning to play the waitress?

What, back to flying severed limbs and assorted gore every 10 seconds? Nah what we got this episode was fine, the worst mighta been Gina cramming that guy's face into the glowy blue shrimp moonshine they were making or whatever.

Mando also showing poor parenting skills as he bribes total stranger waitress to watch the kid. For all he knows she might just think that kid would make a great broth..

I was hoping Space Cat / The Claw's Cat From Inspector Gadget would eat baby Yoda

"Bryce baby doll, this ain't your dad's Opie poo poo. I really need you to go hard on this. Really channel your Black Mirror episode and the really meanspirited poo poo from Jurassic World"

*Mandalorian loses meow meow beans for killing fellow bounty hunters*

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

To Moon Slayer; Indeed, it is great.

quote:

They all love Quentin Tarantino and when you try to teach them good principles of filmmaking, they say "Quentin breaks rules all the time," again not understanding that Tarantino knows every single principle of filmmaking inside and out so he can break them effectively.

I love this one because it applies to EVERY visual media profession. You have to know your poo poo before you can start wrecking the rules.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Axeface posted:

Why is this show Xena: Warrior Princess and not just 45 weekly minutes of an off-brand Boba Fett killing people for money

This. I don't want to harp on the show (because I liked ep 1-3), but I made the similar comment. When gina jumped down on the mando after hanging on a pole I cracked up and said, "I bet that's not how the writer pictured that shot (maybe confirmed by the concept art at the end). I wonder if Kevin Sorbo is going to show up."

Maybe someone told the director the bar scene should be like a honky-tonk and she heard hokey-toned. :smuggo:

Binary Badger posted:

What, back to flying severed limbs and assorted gore every 10 seconds?

Nah, there's a happy inbetween somewhere in the middle of gore and family friendly that the first three episode were hitting (except for the Horatio Sanz scenes). I'm not asking for Star Wars: Saw. I just don't want the show to feel like a bad Star Trek Voyager episode where they beam down to a planet, resolve the planet's problems without much of a hitch, and continue on their way. Ho hum.

I'm still looking forward to next week's episode, but I feel like if I were hit with about 3 of these back to back to back, I'll start to feel like I should be doing something other than watching the show.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Nov 30, 2019

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

This is a space western. If you're expecting something other than "mysterious stranger with a dark past blows into town, solves the immediate problems, and then leaves because trouble's comin' after him and he doesn't want to put the townsfolk in danger" then I've got bad news for you.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

Moon Slayer posted:

This is a space western. If you're expecting something other than "mysterious stranger with a dark past blows into town, solves the immediate problems, and then leaves because trouble's comin' after him and he doesn't want to put the townsfolk in danger" then I've got bad news for you.

They even used the "jingling spurs" sound effect when he was walking into the bar.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The Mandalorian theme also feels like a sci-fi version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fFl9I5ROfg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
If this show ends up being Star Wars: The A-Team I will be 100% okay with it.