Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
It failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Vavrek posted:

It failed.

I was really hoping this wasn’t the snipe on this page so i could post it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Can we please put slapping "punk" on the end of things to rest because it's loving hollow and pointless.

It's grammatically dumb, but so are a lot of genre names. This is the bleak world we live in where trying to be earnestly cheerful somehow seems subversive.

That's also how a lot of B5 seems a lot more quaint, because despite how dark B5 gets, the 90s weren't as aggressively depressing throughout media as things are now.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's grammatically dumb, but so are a lot of genre names. This is the bleak world we live in where trying to be earnestly cheerful somehow seems subversive.

That's also how a lot of B5 seems a lot more quaint, because despite how dark B5 gets, the 90s weren't as aggressively depressing throughout media as things are now.

TBH I think the quaintness is one of the things I appreciate most about B5. It feels like it comes from a different world.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

TBH I think the quaintness is one of the things I appreciate most about B5. It feels like it comes from a different world.

Brb, gotta recycle yesterday's customized newspaper and get today's issue printed.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Brb, gotta recycle yesterday's customized newspaper and get today's issue printed.

For the mid-90s, I thought that was a very charming take on how the future would go. Not that we couldn’t use tablets/screens to bring the newspaper, but that our attachment to them would have kept the around in some capacity.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

analpunk

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

TraderStav posted:

For the mid-90s, I thought that was a very charming take on how the future would go. Not that we couldn’t use tablets/screens to bring the newspaper, but that our attachment to them would have kept the around in some capacity.

If I could get a customized printout of all the various news sites and stories I check, along with my regular selection of webcomics, and know that it'd be recycled at some super-high efficiency, I'd be pretty interested. The only parts missing would be hyperlinks and video. The video I can skip, but the links are pretty important.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Back in the day with CRTs, nobody ever would've thought that an infinite news feed through a portable monitor would become more practical than printing everything out on cheap paper,

News sites as they are now kinda follow a lot of the format of newspapers. Headlines and the starts of articles arranged at the front, with the option to click through and see the whole thing. Just with the internet the whole front page can be dynamically restructured on the go so there's no need to stick to bundles of stories in individual issues. RSS feeds promised the ability to collate everything from all your favorite sites into one easily scrollable unit, although I never properly made use of them and now I think they're dying off with the bulk of the independent internet.

What I do miss about newspapers is the ability to browse through the whole thing without necessarily reading every article and then be left with the impression that I know of all of the current newsworthy stories, but with the internet the news is infinite and most of it is very repetitive so I start tuning it out because it's the same thing again and again. I can only read so many instances of Lying Criminal Tells Another Lie.

But to get back to Babylon 5, I wonder what the official historical record is would show about everything after the events of the show, because so much that happens is either secret or cloaked in weird mysticism.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SlothfulCobra posted:

Back in the day with CRTs, nobody ever would've thought that an infinite news feed through a portable monitor would become more practical than printing everything out on cheap paper,

News sites as they are now kinda follow a lot of the format of newspapers. Headlines and the starts of articles arranged at the front, with the option to click through and see the whole thing. Just with the internet the whole front page can be dynamically restructured on the go so there's no need to stick to bundles of stories in individual issues. RSS feeds promised the ability to collate everything from all your favorite sites into one easily scrollable unit, although I never properly made use of them and now I think they're dying off with the bulk of the independent internet.

What I do miss about newspapers is the ability to browse through the whole thing without necessarily reading every article and then be left with the impression that I know of all of the current newsworthy stories, but with the internet the news is infinite and most of it is very repetitive so I start tuning it out because it's the same thing again and again. I can only read so many instances of Lying Criminal Tells Another Lie.mysticism.

Even TNG already had small, portable, high-resolution display panels. And people already had hand-held programmable calculators. It wouldn't have been a stretch.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

SlothfulCobra posted:

But to get back to Babylon 5, I wonder what the official historical record is would show about everything after the events of the show, because so much that happens is either secret or cloaked in weird mysticism.

According to Deconstruction of Fallen Stars Delenn and the Minbari continue to insist on the truth, but human academics continue not to believe them.

"Everybody knows Sheridan died on Minbar...."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
How old is Londo supposed to be?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

TraderStav posted:

Exactly. Sometimes when something doesn't age well it can work for the media it's in - it becomes a message in a bottle, a little monument to the ways we used to think.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

How old is Londo supposed to be?

According to a wiki, he was born in 2201, so late 50s, early 60s. Citation is a book, Across Time and Space: The Chronologies of Babylon 5. Wiki gives the same birth year for G'Kar, though (citing the S2 episode And Now For A Word), which contradicts what JMS said online about G'Kar being around 80 years old.

I never got the impression Londo was actually old enough to have first-hand experience with the Narn occupation, while G'Kar's childhood and adolescence were defined by it. Maybe Londo just never went to Narn.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vavrek posted:

According to a wiki, he was born in 2201, so late 50s, early 60s. Citation is a book, Across Time and Space: The Chronologies of Babylon 5. Wiki gives the same birth year for G'Kar, though (citing the S2 episode And Now For A Word), which contradicts what JMS said online about G'Kar being around 80 years old.

I never got the impression Londo was actually old enough to have first-hand experience with the Narn occupation, while G'Kar's childhood and adolescence were defined by it. Maybe Londo just never went to Narn.

Certainly. G'Kar's experience with the Occupation was as a child soldier fighting in the last days when the Centauri were at their most desperate. Londo, aged 10-13, would never have been sent to a war zone where the Centauri were about to lose.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Even TNG already had small, portable, high-resolution display panels. And people already had hand-held programmable calculators. It wouldn't have been a stretch.

I think it was more a deliberate choice to make the future feel a bit more lived-in and relatable, possibly as a direct response to TNG. B5 had a few touches like that and I really appreciated them. I think my favourite was having actual normal keyboards on their futuristic touch-panel C-and-C stations. I also enjoyed the privatisation of space communications, like when Sheridan's having a super-serious life-or-death face off with a rogue Minbari captain, and their exchange ends with the STELLAR COM logo on the screen.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Dirty posted:

I also enjoyed the privatisation of space communications, like when Sheridan's having a super-serious life-or-death face off with a rogue Minbari captain, and their exchange ends with the STELLAR COM logo on the screen.

There's a lot of things about Babylon 5 I might say to someone to give them a feel for exactly what kind of sci-fi it is, but what you bring to mind:

"Licensed Commercial Telepath."

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Human ships were still using spin gravity. Humans in B5 aren't nearly as technologically advanced as the ones in TNG. They weren't supposed to be wizardy sci-fi super tech.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The reason humans have such a large diplomatic presence in the galaxy, aside from their military strength, is because they're relatively new too. There's no old grudges with them like with the Minbari or the Centauri, and it's why English is the defacto trader's language.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The reason humans have such a large diplomatic presence in the galaxy, aside from their military strength, is because they're relatively new too. There's no old grudges with them like with the Minbari or the Centauri, and it's why English is the defacto trader's language.

Plus, up until the Earth-Minbari War everyone loves the Earth Alliance for beating the brakes off of the Dilgar Empire. It's one of the reasons the League is willing to throw their weight behind Sheridan's rebellion.

Hell, IIRC the Drazi and Brakiri were helping the EA even during the Earth-Minbari War.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

After I (re)watch an episode, I glance at the Lurker's Guide to skim JMS's comments about it.

Spoilers for, oh, let's just say all of S3:

When discussing Kosh's death, and talking about Kosh's age, and implying that Kosh had been around during the previous Great War, JMS said this:

"I'll put it to you this way...Kosh was old enough to have had a first hand familiarity with Valen. Vorlons live a REAL long time."

You can just hear him laughing his rear end of as he came up with that line. First HAND familiarity ...

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Okay, NOW I remember why the King Arthur episode was extra dumb. It comes right in the middle of a much more interesting narrative and does nothing to further it. The A plot is stupid, but there's been plenty of stupid plots in earlier episodes. Even worse is that the B and C plots don't have anything to offer either. It's just Sheridan asking the League of Unaligned Worlds to do a thing and they say okay and Garibaldi fighting the post office over his lasagna.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
And it’s a waste of world famous actor Michael York

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

Garibaldi fighting the post office over his lasagna.

I really do love this show.

Back half of Season 5, hopefully will get some time to get a chunk of it completed this weekend.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You're through the only post season 1 rough patch (and even then I don't think it's that bad).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Garibaldi fighting the post office over his lasagna.

Garifieldi hates Mondays.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Midjack posted:

Garifieldi hates Mondays.

Zack is Nermal, Sheridan is Jon... this works way too well

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TraderStav posted:

I really do love this show.

Back half of Season 5, hopefully will get some time to get a chunk of it completed this weekend.

Once the Telepath arc ends, the show gets right back on track and then some.

You will know exactly when the lovely Telepath arc ends.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

And then we all get together in a better plot.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The telepaths aren't the problem with the first half of S5, it's the renewed focus on "random poo poo happening on B5".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The telepaths aren't the problem with the first half of S5, it's the renewed focus on "random poo poo happening on B5".

It is absolutely the Telepaths that are the problem. The random poo poo's not so bad, it's that the Telepaths butt in on every plot and just suck the life out of the room while Byron monotones and looks down his nose at everyone about how smug and perfect they are as peaceful Telepaths who only want to be left alone.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Disagree. The worst episode in the first half of the season is Learning Curve, which opens with a random sub-n'grath thug saying he's going to make B5 his turf, and who cares about that?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I'm past the telepaths and it's definitely heating up again. The alliance was just made aware of the information that Sheridan has been validating and he's VERY unhappy about keeping the promise they made.

Londo also just looked longingly at the moon from some new quarters.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The best part of the telepath plot is getting to see all those aged-out-but-still-clinging sunset strip rockband keyboarists trying their hand at extras work and earning a good day's pay for their glorious 90's man-manes. They really give it all when trying to put together "strained glance" and "collective scowl" performances.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Disagree. The worst episode in the first half of the season is Learning Curve, which opens with a random sub-n'grath thug saying he's going to make B5 his turf, and who cares about that?

Episode, singular. Any time the Telepaths barge in, you immediately know what you're in for and start checking your watch to see if they've stopped complaining about this week's grievance that they slammed the brakes on the plot for.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Cool but I disagree. The telepaths are barely in S5, barely in the first half of S5. There's 3-4 episodes where they're a focus.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Cool but I disagree. The telepaths are barely in S5, barely in the first half of S5. There's 3-4 episodes where they're a focus.

They just feel like they're half the season, which is the point.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
A lot of the time the telepaths were always desperately in need of supplies, and whenever I saw them I assumed most of it was hair product.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
It's not even all the telepaths, it is basically just Byron. Also the wasted potential and a weird lack of continuity. I mean, this isn't the first time they have a colony of rogue telepath on the station, but for some reason, this time the relationship is very antagonistic, for reasons that felt very forced. Sheridans sudden mistreatment of Lyta also comes out of nowhere. Franklin, who actually ran the prior railroad, has no interaction with them at all this time, which also doesn't seem right.

e X fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

TKO and Grail are a weird pair of episodes to have back to back. Absolutely nothing to do with anything, excluding the Ivanova bits of TKO.