Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Hughlander posted:

Weird new episode of eskew just dropped

I hope this isn't the end of Eskew, but if it is, it's a very good ending. I love this series so much :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

New Leaf posted:

Or is it a different reality due to the doors/events of the White Rabbit battle possibly taking them to a different reality?

I think it's this. It's been awhile since I heard the beginning of it. But the widows one is really good at the end. But yeah his voice can be a bit annoying.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

New Leaf posted:

So Point Mystic.. I don't know if enough people actually listen to have a conversation about it, but I came in a few weeks ago raving about it, but I'm really not into the newest episode that dropped (character's voice took me right out of it) but the first 4 episodes I think are really solid and tell a complete story. I just re-listened to the White Rabbit storyline with my wife on a road trip and while she enjoyed it she pointed out a few things that are nagging at me now. During the initial assessment of the mural in the cafe he notes that the wooden structure the girls is making is a "headless beast ready to pounce" with the girls astride its back. At the end, after the kids have done battle with the white rabbit, it's suddenly described as "just as it's always been -" a tentacled rabbit in a cage with Anastasia driving a spear into its back. Is this meant to imply that they've slipped into another world by defeating the rabbit? The "good reality" like the old man was talking about? I didn't pick up on any of that the first time.. Also, there's the whole plot point where the wife Marguerite didn't want Fox to work on the structure and that was a major sticking point for them and led to argument between her and Christopher, then she has this huge turn and is like "I think we should help him and we need to do it fast!" Yeah, bitch.. that's what everyone has been trying to tell you for days now. Don't act like that poo poo is your idea.

Post-White Rabbit stuff - in earlier episodes Marguerite is definitely described as his wife and Fox's mother. In later episodes - namely the Widows ones - she's definitely only described as Christopher's "writing partner".. Did something happen that I missed? Or is it a different reality due to the doors/events of the White Rabbit battle possibly taking them to a different reality?

Also, one thing that bugs the poo poo out of me is Christopher's super-audible sharp inhale before every sentence out of his mouth. Once you hear it it's impossible to un-hear..

I'll have to go back and listen again but I think one of the episodes with the shadow spiders had a clip of an adult Fox. It seemed like multiple realities or timelines?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Re The White Vault: extremely hoping Simon dies because he is just far too loving dweeby. Also, nobody in academia talks to each other like the characters in the show do, which is something I'm only nitpicking on because not once during my PhD was I referred to as a 'doctoral candidate' and nobody was that formal with their advisors as the characters in the show are.

Finally, are people that don't speak Spanish really able to enjoy this season? There's tons of untranslated dialogue and lots of it actually adds extra detail that isn't given in the translated dialogue.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
I started listening to TMA right when the third season began to wrap, and ended up taking a break for a bit. When I realized season 4 was wrapping up I decided to revisit the first three seasons to see what the stories were like with the context I had now. It's an excellent choice and I can honestly say I enjoyed it even more on the second listen.

I just got through EP 132-Entombed and lemme tell you, I thoroughly enjoyed the show for the universe building and the excellent characters and the performances and sound design, but this episode catapulted it from just very good to one of my favorites pieces of storytelling ever. I can't stop thinking about how much of the setting and the emotion comes through as Jon talks to Daisy. loving amazing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah I restarted the show about a week ago and man hearing skeptic Jon who doesn't believe in anything paranormal and who actively dislikes Martin is quite the thing compared to last season.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
And it’s wild how loaded every episode is from the very start with foreshadowing. I’m around episode 13 and really looking forward to seeing some particular characters in a new light once they get introduced.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I work a job where I'm mostly alone and have explicit permission to listen to podcasts or music, and I chewed through TMA in a couple months. It's really good and I'm very excited for Season 5.

I tried The Black Tapes a while back and really wanted to like it, and now that I've listened to TMA I guess it feels like TMA does everything I liked about The Black Tapes but much much better? The horror is a lot better, even when stories don't land with me or really scare me I can tell they're well-written, interesting, and scary, just not one of my fears. And when TBT did 'all the stuff we've been looking at is all related!' it was, well, pretty incoherent from what I remember? Meanwhile, regardless of if you like the interwoven nature of TMA, it's very clear things were tightly plotted from the start and things fit together like puzzle pieces.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah I restarted the show about a week ago and man hearing skeptic Jon who doesn't believe in anything paranormal and who actively dislikes Martin is quite the thing compared to last season.
Skeptic Jon is even funnier once he hits a statement with something he knows to be legit, like a Leitner, and is instantly like 'yeah I would have disregarded this as garbage except gently caress Leitner' or 'sigh, yeah, we've heard of Jane Prentiss, I called the CDC about this one'.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Thanks to this thread I’m going to pull the trigger and see if I can get through all of Magnus Archives on the 5+ work travel trips I have in December.

I assumed it had gone on too long for me to ever have a chance of starting it and catching up but I might as well give it a shot!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Aerox posted:

Thanks to this thread I’m going to pull the trigger and see if I can get through all of Magnus Archives on the 5+ work travel trips I have in December.

I assumed it had gone on too long for me to ever have a chance of starting it and catching up but I might as well give it a shot!
Oh, it's on a break until April before the fifth and last season starts, so even though the archive is huge you'll be able to catch up. Hope you like it!

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Mokinokaro posted:

I thought Jon always believed in the supernatural but thought that as long as he didn't acknowledge it, it couldn't hurt him. He has a breakdown at the end of season one where he says something along those lines.

Has anyone else listened to Zero Hours? It's so good. I'll admit it leans a little much on "as you know" dialogue to set up the premises of each story, but the characterization and acting are incredible, and the last episode absolutely slayed me.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Any word on when Tanis get off of Stitcher Premium? I know it sucks, just want to hear Nic's soothing voice.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

New Leaf posted:

Any word on when Tanis get off of Stitcher Premium? I know it sucks, just want to hear Nic's soothing voice.

I think sometime in February. Maybe a mention in the intro for the new season of The Last Movie where I heard it?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Jurgan posted:

I thought Jon always believed in the supernatural but thought that as long as he didn't acknowledge it, it couldn't hurt him. He has a breakdown at the end of season one where he says something along those lines.

Has anyone else listened to Zero Hours? It's so good. I'll admit it leans a little much on "as you know" dialogue to set up the premises of each story, but the characterization and acting are incredible, and the last episode absolutely slayed me.
He definitely has believed in the supernatural ever since he watched a teenaged bully get eaten by the Web when he was 8.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

PetraCore posted:

He definitely has believed in the supernatural ever since he watched a teenaged bully get eaten by the Web when he was 8.

Seems like the sort of thing you’d repress.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is Archive 81 coming back, or are they working on another project?

If I listened to and am caught up on Lime Town, Stella Firma, Archive 81, Magnus Archives, The Bright Sessions, Welcome to Nightvale, The Orbiting Human Circus, Alice isn't Dead, Between the wires, Wolf 359, EOS10, Edict Zero FIS and Kakos Industries(don't judge me.) What else would you recommend?

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
You could try The Far Meridian and/or Unplaced.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Zero Hours
Earth Break

Both are short series but very good.

If you liked the comedy parts of Wolf 359, Mission to Zyxx is a pretty great improv comedy adventure. There's also SAYER which I feel is a much better written dark comedy in the lines of Kakos (early on, then it develops a fairly fun plot.)

Edit: there's also King Falls AM which is similar to Nightvale but more concerned with character drama and weirdness lurking in the Midwest.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Nov 30, 2019

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Turtlicious posted:

If I listened to and am caught up on Lime Town, Stella Firma, Archive 81, Magnus Archives, The Bright Sessions, Welcome to Nightvale, The Orbiting Human Circus, Alice isn't Dead, Between the wires, Wolf 359, EOS10, Edict Zero FIS and Kakos Industries(don't judge me.) What else would you recommend?

Marc of 81 tweets pretty regularly that they are working on stuff. Not sure of what or schedule, but they keep a pretty steady release.

Magnus season 4 Q+A is up. They are so humble and truly love this project and it just makes me love them so much more.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Turtlicious posted:

Idk man just listen to a Robert Aickman audio collection

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

I'll always recommend Mabel. It's a lot of Greek, Irish, and Latin American mythological themes told through voicemail messages that feel like confessionals and stream-of-consciousness poetry. If you liked Nightvale and Alice Isn't Dead, it might interest you.

Slumberland is a nice, offbeat tale of a guy recording the oral history of a weird island town. It meanders through dozens of characters, stories, and histories. It doesn't really have any kind of overarching plot, but there is progression. It has a Midwest/Great Lakes strangeness to it that's hard to describe, almost solitary? I always enjoy it.

Greater Boston is a busy, character-driven show about a bunch of different lunatics and assholes who turn Boston's Red Line into it's own city and all the ramifications thereof.

Homeland is good. It's professionally produced like Limetown and is a solid story. It's worth listening to just to hear David Schwimmer play the biggest rear end in a top hat imaginable.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Turtlicious posted:

Have you listened to I Am In Eskew yet?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Marc of 81 tweets pretty regularly that they are working on stuff. Not sure of what or schedule, but they keep a pretty steady release.

Magnus season 4 Q+A is up. They are so humble and truly love this project and it just makes me love them so much more.

I love how anxious they clearly were about the end of season 4. Also the answer they gave about not changing your mystery just because someone's figured it out. Also Alex's weariness when talking about the soundscaping.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

theblackw0lf posted:

Have you listened to I Am In Eskew yet?
It's this. This is what you want next. And it's a good time to start because it seems like the "first season" is done. Maybe.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Finished Limetown finally. Last episode was very faithful to the radio series and they seem setup to follow into season 2. On the bright side, Leah is absent from season 2 and they did start developing Emile’s character a bit more. Despite not being thrilled with season 1, I’m interested to see where season 2 goes with Daniel.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Fil5000 posted:

I love how anxious they clearly were about the end of season 4. Also the answer they gave about not changing your mystery just because someone's figured it out. Also Alex's weariness when talking about the soundscaping.

"If you've figured it out, we did good forshadowing" amen.

And as a hobbyist sound designer, I can't even begin to imagine how hard he must work.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

"If you've figured it out, we did good forshadowing" amen.

And as a hobbyist sound designer, I can't even begin to imagine how hard he must work.

"Also I forgot to mention there's a brass band playing throughout"
"Oh come on I never did that"

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I didn't listen to whatever Q&A or whatever Instagram post they established the sexualities in.. What sexualities did they establish? Clearly Melanie and girl whose name escapes me were bi, I guess Jon is also bi as well as asexual, Martin is.. gay presumably? Are Daisy and Basira confirmed gay too?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I listened to a bit of the Q&A. Orientation wasn’t really something they mapped out or considered important,* and somehow they didn’t expect the community to fixate on it to the degree they did, so they just let the characters be what they felt the characters were. Jon is asexual and Martin is gay, beyond that who knows.

* The exception being Martin’s attraction to Jon, which figures into the plot of season 4.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Elias is horrosexual.

Peter Lukas is an obligate onanist.

Jared Hopworth can bone like no other.

Gerard Keay was a skin(flute).

John Amherst likes it dirty.

Agnes Montague likes it hot.

Manuela Dominguez will only do it in the dark.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ratatozsk posted:

Elias is horrosexual.

Peter Lukas is an obligate onanist.

Jared Hopworth can bone like no other.

Gerard Keay was a skin(flute).

John Amherst likes it dirty.

Agnes Montague likes it hot.

Manuela Dominguez will only do it in the dark.

Annabelle Cane can't get off unless everyone else is tied up

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

I listened to a bit of the Q&A. Orientation wasn’t really something they mapped out or considered important,* and somehow they didn’t expect the community to fixate on it to the degree they did, so they just let the characters be what they felt the characters were. Jon is asexual and Martin is gay, beyond that who knows.

* The exception being Martin’s attraction to Jon, which figures into the plot of season 4.

Oh maybe I misheard, I thought they were implying they had established everyone and covered the whole spectrum somehow because Johnny said something about there already being plenty of straight people in media. Granted I was listening while working so I might have missed something..

I didn't parse Martin's attraction until they outright said it. I always assumed it was a bromance/brothers-in-arms kind of thing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

New Leaf posted:

Oh maybe I misheard, I thought they were implying they had established everyone and covered the whole spectrum somehow because Johnny said something about there already being plenty of straight people in media. Granted I was listening while working so I might have missed something..

I didn't parse Martin's attraction until they outright said it. I always assumed it was a bromance/brothers-in-arms kind of thing.

The question asker said something like "did you deliberately make every character some form of queer" and they didn't correct them so while I don't think they've *specifically* or overtly done it, it seems from their response that they have.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Someone on Twitter posted a drawing of Jon and Martin holding hands or hugging and Jonny Sims signed it with "I endorse this". I love it.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

Orientation wasn’t really something they mapped out or considered important,* and somehow they didn’t expect the community to fixate on it to the degree they did

I’m surprised they were able to make such a successful podcast when they’ve apparently just discovered the internet.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

Annabelle Cane can't get off unless everyone else is tied up

Y’know, it would probably be more accurate to say that Elias really likes to watch.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

This might my own ignorance bleeding through.. How can Johnny be both asexual and bisexual?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

New Leaf posted:

This might my own ignorance bleeding through.. How can Johnny be both asexual and bisexual?

Asexual doesn't mean not wanting romance at all. Just means you don't care about physical intimacy.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

Asexual doesn't mean not wanting romance at all Just means you don't care about physical intimacy.

Ahh gotcha. I haven't had much exposure to that sort of thing so I'm incredibly ignorant on most of those fronts.