Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Chip stacking caps at the power of one max grade chip. For most chip types, the most efficient way to get that effect is to just use the max grade chip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

So far it is just: Dwarves find some advanced robots in some ruins (Dwarves in the Shadowbringers setting, which is actually a parallel universe from the rest of FFXIV, build robots). After advancing further into the caves you find Machine Lifeforms banging on a shield surrounding 2P, after blowing them up she immediately asks your help in attacking a factory that's producing the Machine Lifeforms.

The factory looks like it came straight out of Nier, not really looking like the visual style of FFXIV. It clearly wasn't always there and was probably somehow put into the world. Over the course of the raid you're told someone is controlling the Machines and the final boss turns out to be 9S. He talks about how he is going to kill 2P and anyone helping her. The cutscene after you beat him makes a point of showing his eyes, which aren't red and then he falls off the platform into the fog below.

Then you go back to base, 2P reveals that she and 9S aren't humans (or the FFXIV equivalent I guess) and are in fact androids. Then she tells you to go back to the factory to get a mcguffin to repair her and she shuts off from the damage. You then go back to the factory to explore it without combat, find a ton of text logs (which point even more to the factory being sent here from somewhere else), the components of the thing you need to repair 2P, a room filled with 2B corpses, a broken Pod and a deactivated 9S after he climbed out of abyss. The dwarves take 9S because they don't entirely trust 2P and then say it'll take some time to build the thing to repair 2P and you should come back later (in six to eight months, when patch 5.3 comes out)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Though i wasn't aware the FF14 content was a segmented long term project, so maybe that question can't actually be answered yet.
Correct, we've mostly got questions right now.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
There’s a small handful of us that are hoping the collision of NieR:A stuff and Final Fantasy results in the raid progressing back through to the Drakengard games.

I wanna fight an angry Caim.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

i am tim! posted:

There’s a small handful of us that are hoping the collision of NieR:A stuff and Final Fantasy results in the raid progressing back through to the Drakengard games.

Raid Boss the Flower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49gLC9yiGOg

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

i am tim! posted:

Nah, Caim isn’t the raid boss. He’s the mechanics for the raid boss which is the dragon, because between the two I’m pretty sure the dragon is easier to kill.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Of course the Dragon is easier! That’s why I wanna fight an angry Caim! And maybe get his battle crocs.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

caim is just guts with a pet

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Veotax posted:

So far it is just: Dwarves find some advanced robots in some ruins (Dwarves in the Shadowbringers setting, which is actually a parallel universe from the rest of FFXIV, build robots). After advancing further into the caves you find Machine Lifeforms banging on a shield surrounding 2P, after blowing them up she immediately asks your help in attacking a factory that's producing the Machine Lifeforms.

The factory looks like it came straight out of Nier, not really looking like the visual style of FFXIV. It clearly wasn't always there and was probably somehow put into the world. Over the course of the raid you're told someone is controlling the Machines and the final boss turns out to be 9S. He talks about how he is going to kill 2P and anyone helping her. The cutscene after you beat him makes a point of showing his eyes, which aren't red and then he falls off the platform into the fog below.

Then you go back to base, 2P reveals that she and 9S aren't humans (or the FFXIV equivalent I guess) and are in fact androids. Then she tells you to go back to the factory to get a mcguffin to repair her and she shuts off from the damage. You then go back to the factory to explore it without combat, find a ton of text logs (which point even more to the factory being sent here from somewhere else), the components of the thing you need to repair 2P, a room filled with 2B corpses, a broken Pod and a deactivated 9S after he climbed out of abyss. The dwarves take 9S because they don't entirely trust 2P and then say it'll take some time to build the thing to repair 2P and you should come back later (in six to eight months, when patch 5.3 comes out)

This is an excellent summary.

The cutscene with 9S and 2P fighting has a lot of shots straight from route C of Nier Automata. It was delightful to watch after the quest and boss dialogue didn't feel terribly Taro-ish, though there is a Portal boss I really love. The bits of lore you collect after running the raid though, that's the good poo poo.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Nier concert in Chicago in January is at a theater that's across the street from O'Hare airport and there are a bunch of hotels within walking distance, so if you're a business-traveling goon with a bunch of points built up you can probably go see it for the cost of the ticket alone:

https://nierconcert.com/

Midjack fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 2, 2019

Canine Conspiracy
Dec 16, 2011

Veotax posted:

Over the course of the raid you're told someone is controlling the Machines and the final boss turns out to be 9S. He talks about how he is going to kill 2P and anyone helping her. The cutscene after you beat him makes a point of showing his eyes, which aren't red and then he falls off the platform into the fog below.

There's also some dialogue during the raid that mentions the white stuff settled on the ground and fogging up the air is some kind of mineral dust, with one of the fun goofy mascot dwarves breathing some in, coughing, and saying "gee, I sure hope that wasn't harmful!" So we've got at least one probable case of White Chlorination Syndrome to deal with in the future, too.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
SE has a web site hyping up the tenth anniversary of NieR.

The actual tenth anniversary isn't until April though...

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I got tickets and a hotel for the night to see the second Chicago concert with my girlfriend who doesn't know anything about NieR.

I'm so excited. Driving from Michigan.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I've been wanting to play this so bad since it came out and I finally managed to get it on sale and plowed through it over the holiday. Just finished all the main routes and it was so drat good.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Coxswain Balls posted:

I've been wanting to play this so bad since it came out and I finally managed to get it on sale and plowed through it over the holiday. Just finished all the main routes and it was so drat good.

Tell us what you did with your save on Ending E

We will judge you

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

Tell us what you did with your save on Ending E

We will judge you

True, if they deleted it and left Emil to languish they're a true monster.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I bounced hard off of this at launch because the expected Platinum character action never emerged. Started giving it another try recently (this time knowing better) and it is attaching very well

Just got through the carnival so early days yet. Cool zone and I love the music and boss*, but the desert was more memorable. The machine dialogue there was kinda horrifying and not in an entirely good way :ohdear:

(*fun fact: I saw the ring attack and my first thought was “oh, just like in the FF14 rai- ... wait” :v:)

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Regy Rusty posted:

True, if they deleted it and left Emil to languish they're a true monster.

I'm at like 92% quest completion so after I finish those (along with the Emil quest, which I heard gets pretty heartbreaking), you better believe I'm smashing that erase button. Seeing more and more words of encouragement from other players around the world is my favorite concept for an ending ever, and I can't wait to also end up there. I also love Weight of the World and having it recommended to me on Spotify is what pushed me over the edge to get around to playing it, since it's been on heavy rotation in my playlist for months.

Probably a tall ask, but are there any other games (preferrably PC or Switch) that have the same melancholy atmosphere as the Nier games? I also love how it's combined with the post-apocalyptic setting to add to that feeling of hopelessness and inevitability. It's a nice change of pace compared to saving the world, killing god or whatever again.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

It's not really exactly what you're asking for, but you might check out Outer Wilds? There's a lot of exploring old ruins and figuring out what happened to an ancient civilization, you're mostly alone when you're not on your home planet which can get pretty melancholy... Oh, and your sun keeps blowing up, which can feel pretty hopeless and inevitable at times.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Coxswain Balls posted:

I'm at like 92% quest completion so after I finish those (along with the Emil quest, which I heard gets pretty heartbreaking), you better believe I'm smashing that erase button. Seeing more and more words of encouragement from other players around the world is my favorite concept for an ending ever, and I can't wait to also end up there. I also love Weight of the World and having it recommended to me on Spotify is what pushed me over the edge to get around to playing it, since it's been on heavy rotation in my playlist for months.

Probably a tall ask, but are there any other games (preferrably PC or Switch) that have the same melancholy atmosphere as the Nier games? I also love how it's combined with the post-apocalyptic setting to add to that feeling of hopelessness and inevitability. It's a nice change of pace compared to saving the world, killing god or whatever again.

Drakengard. :unsmigghh:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Come to think of it I found Talos Principle to give me the same feeling when I played it a few summers ago. Similar themes with machine intelligence, as well as coming to the slow realization that mankind has long been extinct and their machines have to learn to continue on. The logs as you got closer to the end made me the same kind of bummed as when playing Automata, which felt great.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Disco Elysium takes a very different approach and is far more explicitly political, but there's an oddly similar vibe of trying to create/find meaning in the wreckage of ideology, struggling to piece together a future under the unbearable weight of history etc

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Coxswain Balls posted:

Come to think of it I found Talos Principle to give me the same feeling when I played it a few summers ago. Similar themes with machine intelligence, as well as coming to the slow realization that mankind has long been extinct and their machines have to learn to continue on. The logs as you got closer to the end made me the same kind of bummed as when playing Automata, which felt great.

Was going to post basically this. Seconded.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Disco Elysium takes a very different approach and is far more explicitly political, but there's an oddly similar vibe of trying to create/find meaning in the wreckage of ideology, struggling to piece together a future under the unbearable weight of history etc

It also has very elegant and fulfilling, thematically consistent storytelling at every turn (sidequests, main quests, incidental dialogue) so it's similar in that respect too. I loved playing both games.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There's nothing else quite like N:A bit hell I'll second Outer Wilds just cause it's amazing and everyone should play it.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Regy Rusty posted:

There's nothing else quite like N:A bit hell I'll second Outer Wilds just cause it's amazing and everyone should play it.

Same. I do think the approach to story telling is at least similarly unique as is Disco Elysium, although all three games are very different overall.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Throwing my Talos hat in the ring to say that it does give the same feelings as Neir when you play it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Just remembered that I own Lisa but didn't get very far because the controller support wasn't great. Seems like it's been improved since then so I'm giving it another go. It sounds like it'll be just what I'm looking for.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

:siren:

https://twitter.com/NieRGame/status/1215634648572874754

:siren:

https://open.spotify.com/album/1jlsHsn21rwt7lErsuDIgW?si=yZFfxqTXQceXDZPONsqcVQ
https://open.spotify.com/album/5EvfMZYvdWB2XPZT0IvcyI?si=CUFZNLueTFSRBe3XYTlf-A
https://open.spotify.com/album/1wMSQYLmTQs3BsIs9MUr6x?si=qC1hbyPwSGi1k9vhIsRZkQ
https://open.spotify.com/album/6Nws2NAPuxaHzB7MfD1lhg?si=2aF5tfZqSEyX6gaqOW0Log
https://open.spotify.com/album/3cmjQJKn8f3Wio9Rro3asA?si=d6mefUwKR6mErswX1Iunng

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hi guys just played Nier Automata and had my mind thoroughly blown even though I knew a lot of the twists beforehand.

I’m watching a bunch of youtubes analyzing the story and expanding on the various philosophies being lampooned. However I haven’t seen any picking apart the relationship between 2B, 9S and A2. Are there any?

I got the feeling that 9S was filled with a sexual love for 2B, but that it was essentially selfish in nature and it prevented him from being of one mind and will with 2B in the way A2 got to... be

No subtext here!

No subtext here!

Many of the philosophies being dunked on are portrayed as self centered and the finale of the game asks for you to do something selfless as a final test. Does that sound about right?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Steve Yun posted:

Hi guys just played Nier Automata and had my mind thoroughly blown even though I knew a lot of the twists beforehand.

I’m watching a bunch of youtubes analyzing the story and expanding on the various philosophies being lampooned. However I haven’t seen any picking apart the relationship between 2B, 9S and A2. Are there any?

I got the feeling that 9S was filled with a sexual love for 2B, but that it was essentially selfish in nature and it prevented him from being of one mind and will with 2B in the way A2 got to... be

My understanding is that 9S is just a prime example of the ways in which all Yorha androids are just fundamentally hosed. Their entire lives are full of contradiction, built around a lie that is fundamentally true to them. 9S only truly confronts this when he faces A2 and talks about how he yearns for validation from humans, being that not only are extinct, but have been for so long that their relevance to 9S's life is null. Yorha is, to 9S, home, it's a place of belonging, and that too is built on a lie, a double lie on that; not only is its stated purpose to fight for something already dead, but it has been infiltrated and manipulated by the machines in order to help them advance their own abilities. What is 2B to 9S? A colleague and companion; also a lie. And you have the machines, a fundamental enemy, only for it to turn out that the Yorha androids are, on a fundamental level, machines themselves.

The impression I get is that on a subconscious level 9S is somewhat aware of all those contradictions - 2B/2E's role is what it is for a reason - and as much as he wants to mask his emotions it becomes impossible to do so when everything goes to poo poo so everything comes to the fore at the same time.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Steve Yun posted:

To be, or nein esse (not to be), et tu (and you)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Oh, Ho Ho ho

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Steve Yun posted:

I never thought any of the relationships in the game were sexual, being that everyone is an android or machine with no sexual desire or capability. I don't think he was the selfish one either; I feel like 2B would be better described that way since she makes the decision to be with him despite what she has to do.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hikaki posted:

I never thought any of the relationships in the game were sexual, being that everyone is an android or machine with no sexual desire or capability. I don't think he was the selfish one either; I feel like 2B would be better described that way since she makes the decision to be with him despite what she has to do.

Did you play the same game as everyone else?

One of the early setpieces is a loving robot orgy

And 2B stuck with 9S because she knew what would happen. If he's going to die over and over again, she could at least try to make it hurt less.

9S and 2B's relationship is complicated.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hikaki posted:

2B literally straddles and chokes 9S, later 9S looms over a simulacrum of a prone 2B penetrating her repeatedly over and over again. You are even told via Jackass that violence releases pleasure chemicals in YorHa units. Killing each other in sexualized ways, is definitely the closest thing to sex possible for 2B and 9S and should be interpreted as such.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 13, 2020

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

chiasaur11 posted:

Did you play the same game as everyone else?

One of the early setpieces is a loving robot orgy

And 2B stuck with 9S because she knew what would happen. If he's going to die over and over again, she could at least try to make it hurt less.

9S and 2B's relationship is complicated.

That's a very different read then I have. She was assigned to 9S because of that trust, so that the moment he discovers something he shouldn't have he will go right to her to talk about it and she will promptly kill him and start the whole cycle over again.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think she was just supposed to kill him at the end of every mission regardless of what he found out. Point being to keep him from getting too smart (otherwise, he would know her at the start of the game based on the missions they'd accomplished together).

Ofc it's a stretch that this had to be done so manually rather than just restoring him to an early backup whenever he tried to sync with yorha (or just flat out silently ignoring his syncs) but the idea is that he's too good with tech to use a cleaner solution i guess.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

It's specifically 9S discovering the truth of YorHA is basically guaranteed by his very design, and every time he discovers it, or in some other way becomes compromised, 2B is to kill him and thus reset him back to a fresh 9S. This doesn't work totally, which is why he sometimes freaks out from memory leakage, and 9S has hacked his own baseline capabilities at least once (no other S model can use melee weapons, that's something he self-installed and has been allowed to keep through resets). I think there's stuff about the androids who created YorHA as the baseline personalities for each number kind of hating 9 but I don't remember all the extra information.

2B herself is kind of in love with 9S, and has to kill him over and over and over and over again. Hence her talk about how it always ends this way during the first route. 9S is also kind of in love with 2B, to the point that in at least one of his lives he discovers the truth, successfully escapes, and ultimately comes back to accept his death because he knows if 2E can't kill him she herself will be decomissioned even with the knowledge that she's killed him several times. She talks about the no emotions thing and tries to hold onto it so hard because if she doesn't she'd break totally from her life of slaughtering the person who matters most in the world to her.

Hikaki posted:

Official Word of God from a tweet on the capability thing is that androids are like Adam/Eve Barbie Doll style when created, but can choose to later have parts installed/modified if they so wish.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I like that this is all set up by the side quests, like that one about the deserters who you track down and kill, and 9S is like "what did they do that was so bad" and 2B just says "don't ask questions" and you think at the time that she's just incurious and only cares about following orders, but in retrospect she must have been terrified of the consequences if he kept digging