Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
His twitter is also quality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

buglord posted:

he makes me think of some socially liberal, fiscally conservative techbro that follows lean six sigma management techniques while going on weird meditation retreats specifically designed for dumb gullible hipster ceos

He can come off as pretty smug, but pretty playfully so, unlike someone like James. And yeah, he tends to be a pretty cool dude online.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

https://twitter.com/cogentanalysis/status/1199174192656191488

someone's been waiting a long time for this [edit: yes i just realized that's what the tweet says, shut up and enjoy the video]

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Make a weird bet and just happen to land on 88? Later sitting on 1488? The gently caress?

Edit:

People are also pointing out that 1312 = ACAB

Zesty fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 29, 2019

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Zesty posted:

Make a weird bet and just happen to land on 88? Later sitting on 1488? The gently caress?

The Strong Law of Small Numbers

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Zesty posted:

Edit:

People are also pointing out that 1312 = ACAB

I remember that there was episode last season or around then, where they had to reshoot Final because one of the contestants bet $1488 (it was his kid’s birthday) and another contestant waiting to play told Maggie and the other contestant coordinators that it seemed hinky despite his explanation (he hadn’t made the connection and was mortified). The re-edit didn’t affect the final outcome though.

I think we discussed this in thread when it happened, or it might’ve been on our contestant FB group. There was a banned wagers list created soon after that ($69 is apparently on it, despite Ken Jennings betting it all the time, but I guess it was a more innocent time or something, though he definitely knew what was up, but $420 is apparently fair game because Maggie loves pointing out that it’s Cali legal).

EDIT: checking, it was both, I brought it up here when it happened.

Weird seeing it happen again, even if I missed yesterday’s episode because of family hot pot dinner.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 30, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That sounds like horseshit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

How would you be enough of a trivia nut to make it on Jeopardy not know what 1488 is.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

How would you be enough of a trivia nut to make it on Jeopardy not know what 1488 is.

You’d be surprised, there were a number of former (recent) contestants in our FB group who didn’t know the connection when it was first brought up when it happened (I think it was during James’s run?). Like, we were alluding to Nazi numbers, and they had no idea what we were talking about.

Most of the more active former contestants in the group tend to be really vocally liberal, so they knew what we were referring to or were the ones who brought it up in the first place, but there are always the real sheltered people who haven’t been on that part of the internet, places that cover it, or have never seen it brought up in the first place for whatever reason. Like, everyone has their blind spots, some more excusable than others. And if you’re blinded by the fact that it’s also your kid’s bday, you might overlook some things.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 30, 2019

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah if you don't spend a lot of time in some of the weirder corners of the internet I can definitely understand how you'd never come across that.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
1312 starts most Chicago phone numbers, why would she bet to lose if she wanted the nazi number. Come on.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Looking through the thread from when I first brought it up, forums user and fellow one and done contestant mennoknight (who hasn’t posted here in a while) had no idea about what 1488 meant either, so I guess it’s not uncommon even if you’ve made it on the show. Groovelord Neato even said that he wished he was that blissfully ignorant when he asked.

I think the guy was Canadian, so not as plugged into our weird US politics poo poo, but I may be misremembering.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 30, 2019

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I only learned about 1488 when someone made a page joke a few years ago on a Games thread here a few years ago. I still had to google it.

It’s purely a fringe internet phenomenon and 2000 or fewer real Nazis.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It predates the internet (apart from maybe dialup) since I learned about it as a kid.

edit: looked it up - coined by the guy that founded the Order (the group that murdered radio host Alan Berg).

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
We were specifically told (July 2019 taping, so perhaps they codified it recently) that the five banned wagers were 14, 88, 1488, 666, and 69. Someone asked about 420 and Maggie was just like “ayyyyyyy”

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Spokes posted:

We were specifically told (July 2019 taping, so perhaps they codified it recently) that the five banned wagers were 14, 88, 1488, 666, and 69. Someone asked about 420 and Maggie was just like “ayyyyyyy”

That squares with the info I heard, pretty much.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I read a lot of Political Cartoons so I see a lot of how all the garbage people like to signal each other.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

GhostStalker posted:

Looking through the thread from when I first brought it up, forums user and fellow one and done contestant mennoknight (who hasn’t posted here in a while) had no idea about what 1488 meant either, so I guess it’s not uncommon even if you’ve made it on the show. Groovelord Neato even said that he wished he was that blissfully ignorant when he asked.

I think the guy was Canadian, so not as plugged into our weird US politics poo poo, but I may be misremembering.
Yeah, it's not common in Canada unless you have Internet Poisoning. I brought it up at work once (someone's health care number contained that string of digits lol) and nobody knew what the hell I was talking about.

Menno posts in the hockey thread and follows the Flames so I assume they are Canadian.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I still don't fuckin know what you guys are talking about and it seems like a better use of my time to go play Mario kart

and yes I'm from small town western Canada but live in shithole ottawa now.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Whenever it’s brought up about 1488 and it’s negative meaning, every time it’s like I’m learning it again for the first time. I’m not going to remember stupid poo poo like that.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Spokes posted:

Maggie was just like “ayyyyyyy”

Glad my impression of her at auditions seems to have been accurate.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mennoknight posted:

I still don't fuckin know what you guys are talking about and it seems like a better use of my time to go play Mario kart

and yes I'm from small town western Canada but live in shithole ottawa now.

It's a combination of the Fourteen Words (14) and HH (88) for Heil Hitler (H being the 8th letter of the alphabet). The Fourteen Words are "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children". The slogan was created by the guy who founded the Order - a white supremacist terrorist group in the 80s that took its inspiration from an organization of the same name in the infamous white supremacist novel The Turner Diaries. The Order is most infamous for gunning down Jewish radio host Alan Berg in his driveway.

latinotwink1997 posted:

Whenever it’s brought up about 1488 and it’s negative meaning, every time it’s like I’m learning it again for the first time. I’m not going to remember stupid poo poo like that.

It's not like one chooses what to remember. I saw it in a documentary about hate groups over twenty years ago and still remember it.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 30, 2019

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

latinotwink1997 posted:

Same. It's so dumb and useless it falls out of my brain immediately.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

1488 litterly had no meaning to me before reading it in this thread. When I see 88 I still think of Alan Page first.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That's why it's a dogwhistle. To signal people in the know.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
What's the deal with all these score corrections?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Doctor, Lawyer, and Accidentally-did-a-nazi-thing.

Rooting for Accidentally-did-a-nazi-thing. edit: :allears:

Zesty fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 3, 2019

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

packetmantis posted:

What's the deal with all these score corrections?

Yeah, I noticed that too. I don’t want to blame Trebek and his cancer treatment/chemo making him stumble a bit verbally or decision wise, but that seems to be the case. Maybe it was the judges loving up instead? Alex’s voice seemed a bit rough during the intros.

Shame about Final and Mohammed writing out too long of an answer that he couldn’t finish it. 95 Theses should’ve been enough, if they took Luther’s Theses from the champ. Scores seemed pretty low going into Final as well.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, I noticed that too. I don’t want to blame Trebek and his cancer treatment/chemo making him stumble a bit verbally or decision wise, but that seems to be the case. Maybe it was the judges loving up instead? Alex’s voice seemed a bit rough during the intros.

Shame about Final and Mohammed writing out too long of an answer that he couldn’t finish it. 95 Theses should’ve been enough, if they took Luther’s Theses from the champ. Scores seemed pretty low going into Final as well.

Scores were low because all three contestants were whiffing on easy gimme questions.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Timby posted:

Scores were low because all three contestants were whiffing on easy gimme questions.

Well, yeah. So many negs or stand and stares/Triple Stumpers on what I felt were easily gettable clues, but it may have just been bad boards for all of them.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

GhostStalker posted:

he didn't write theses. it was like 'luther's list of...'

if he had put theses, i'm guessing that would've been enough without mentioning luther.

also, the way the question was worded, i could've seen someone putting 'indulgence'. that would've been an interesting ruling.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

abelwingnut posted:

he didn't write theses. it was like 'luther's list of...'

if he had put theses, i'm guessing that would've been enough without mentioning luther.

also, the way the question was worded, i could've seen someone putting 'indulgence'. that would've been an interesting ruling.

I think he was going for Luther’s list of complaints, because he couldn’t remember the term Theses. Wonder if the judges would’ve accepted that though.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

they shouldn't have accepted "birds of prey" for "raptors" because the clue specified it comes from the Latin for "to seize"

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

you broke my grill posted:

they shouldn't have accepted "birds of prey" for "raptors" because the clue specified it comes from the Latin for "to seize"

I'm pretty sure "prey" comes from the latin "praedus" (or something along those lines) which is the "to seize" verb.

edit: though I haven't seen the episode yet and am just going off your post, if I've misunderstood something then sorry I'm a dumb.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

rapere is the seize verb

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i’m not sure theodore has ever interacted with humans in the last five years.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

abelwingnut posted:

i’m not sure theodore has ever interacted with humans in the last five years.

He was the most beep-boop robot person I've seen on the show in quite some time.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

you broke my grill posted:

rapere is the seize verb

Praedare is also a "seize" verb though, so both are correct.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Watched a taping today (airdate February), Alex seems like he’s doing fine as far we can see. Lucid, clever, moved well, only a re-read or two per game. Who knows what’s going on behind the scenes but he appears quick as ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Spokes posted:

Watched a taping today (airdate February), Alex seems like he’s doing fine as far we can see. Lucid, clever, moved well, only a re-read or two per game. Who knows what’s going on behind the scenes but he appears quick as ever

:unsmith:
Did they manage to tape five episodes? I don't know what meds he's on, but it's more than six months since diagnosis so it's all playing with the house's money now.