Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Can someone explain the Knives Out release schedule to me please? It was playing once a night last weekend and now it's playing twice a night at every theater in town, but it's actual wide release is Wednesday when it's playing all day at all of the theaters. I'm used to the Thursday creep from midnight to 7 pm now, but this one is different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
They’re running a lot of sneak previews to drum up word of mouth

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
In Stalag 17, the WWII POW camp prisoner who passes out the mail and announces the news has a high voice that sounds like the "extra extra read all about it" voice. It's odd to me that even in a prison camp they find a guy with that kind of shrill voice to announce the news. Was that the sort of thing where within the fiction of the movie the character would be drafted into that job because of his voice, or is it more likely the director cast him in that role b/c of his voice?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Well, the script doesn't specify that he has a newsperson voice. I don't know if that settles it for you, or what else could settle it.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Climax (2018) and The Party (1968) were largely unscripted - it was just the actors improvising for the most part. What other films are like this? I've heard that Iron Man had the plot points planned out but basically was "written" via rehearsing and improvising each scene beforehand which counts I guess. Others?

Scarjo and crew going on car rides with random locals in Under the Skin? (can't remember the specifics, I think thats what happened)

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Well, the script doesn't specify that he has a newsperson voice. I don't know if that settles it for you, or what else could settle it.

I guess a better question would be, in a real WWII POW camp, would someone with that voice be selected to read the announcements (and if so, why)? I guess that's not a movie question, so I'll take it somewhere else.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Higher frequencies are louder, but travel shorter distances. If you want the camp commandant in your business you get the baritone to deliver the news.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Higher frequencies are louder, but travel shorter distances. If you want the camp commandant in your business you get the baritone to deliver the news.

The thing is, the dude isn't delivering the announcements from atop an overturned soapbox. A deep voice might carry farther, but the audio system might not reproduce sound well enough at those frequencies for it to be intelligible at a distance. The stereotypical old-timey news voice is pitched up because early audio equipment didn't handle bass well at all.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I still can't figure out why Dark Fate was such a flop.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Because the public at large has moved off from Terminator movies. Nobody seems to actually give a poo poo anymore.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

They tried to do a Force Awakens, using nostalgia to get you to ignore the most recent trilogy, but the Terminator franchise is relatively thin gruel for that as compared to Star Wars. Linda Hamilton is good in Terminator 2, but she's no Millenium Falcon.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
in the movie Thinner, what did the Gypies even do to the mook guy Joe Montegne hired? To this day I still don't know

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

They burned out the nostalgia. I have no interest in seeing it because I've tried to watch the last handful (even paid to see 3&4 [whatever they're called] in theaters). Everything post T2 was complete dogshit.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ariza posted:

They burned out the nostalgia. I have no interest in seeing it because I've tried to watch the last handful (even paid to see 3&4 [whatever they're called] in theaters). Everything post T2 was complete dogshit.

Yeah, the sequel was a novel idea of "ok, the first Terminator failed, let's send another, more powerful, seemingly unstoppable one back, and uh oh, the first one is now good and will be protecting Sarah and John. Crazy!"

And they've done weaker and worse versions of that ever since.

I didn't enjoy Salvation that much, but it's been the only one to actually try something vastly different this whole time. It should really be considered the 3rd one.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I didn't see Dark Fate and I'm not defending it, I just felt like it had the ingredients: pretty good reviews, strong finger on the nostalgia button, big marketing campaign. I was surprised by how incredibly harsh the flop was. Makes sense though if people just plain don't give a poo poo about Terminator movies anymore.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I didn't see Dark Fate and I'm not defending it, I just felt like it had the ingredients: pretty good reviews, strong finger on the nostalgia button, big marketing campaign. I was surprised by how incredibly harsh the flop was. Makes sense though if people just plain don't give a poo poo about Terminator movies anymore.

What's crazy is that no matter how few people care about Terminator, they (producers, directors, etc) still don't get that.

When McG comes up with a fresher take than anything else since T2, you should probably Let. The. Franchise. Die.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's probably the best of the post-T2 movies but it's still bad. Also the opening is unforgivable.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

And it's not even cleanly the best of the post-T2 movies. It's probably the strongest of them as an action movie, but it's also the least inspired of them as a sci-fi movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I like Linda Hamilton and Mackenzie Davis as much as the next guy, but I had no interest in seeing it because of how cowardly the series is. Admittedly, I liked Genisys more than many, but I'd have liked to see them try to make a sequel better. Commit to it and improve it, or do a wholly original idea. It's the constant re-do's that burned me out.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

I like Linda Hamilton and Mackenzie Davis as much as the next guy, but I had no interest in seeing it because of how cowardly the series is. Admittedly, I liked Genisys more than many, but I'd have liked to see them try to make a sequel better. Commit to it and improve it, or do a wholly original idea. It's the constant re-do's that burned me out.

I'm totally with you on this, aside from liking Genisys; they hosed up by taking the one possible neat reveal and showing it off in the trailers, something that I'm fairly sure T2 didn't do.

Like... You have a sequel that likely won't be nearly as good as 2, at least keep SOME of the mystique.

Anyway, yes, I'm sure if I ever see Dark Fate, Hamilton and Davis will be the standouts. I don't think I've seen Mackenzie Davis in something I haven't liked, but this might be the first.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

LesterGroans posted:

If Dark Fate had been the original T3 it would have been better received. Linda Hamilton is decent, Mackenzie Davis was very good, the Rev-9 was unoriginal but still felt like a suitable evolution of the T-800 & T-1000, the Legion backstory was at least novel in that it didn’t undercut the victory of T2, some of the action scenes were pretty good (ignoring the end), etc. The problem is, like you’ve said, that this is the sixth Terminator movie and a competent movie isn’t good enough anymore.

If all the best aspects of the sequels were blended together you might have had a Pretty Good action movie but after T1 & T2 you ideally would have had to come up with something really special to justify any sequel at all.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
For my part I just never really saw the Terminator films as a great idea for a long running series. The first film is very well contained, the second adds some interesting wrinkles, and from there, well, where do you go? Either the machine apocalypse happens or it doesn't, either the robots keep sending someone back to try and kill John and/or Sara or they don't, there aren't a lot of obvious hooks for future installments, nothing that makes me think "Oh, I gotta see how that plays out!"

Also, like the Alien movies, there's the question of how you can keep surprising the audience. The T-1000 is such a great elaboration on the original- now here's an unstoppable killing machine who, if you blow it into a million pieces, just slides back together, gently caress you, so how do you top that? And subsequent films have thought of robots that are technically more advanced in some way or another but there's no topping that image. (Especially since now we KNOW you can do just about anything with computers nowadays.)

I did watch the Sarah Connor Chronicles, that was good overall, so I'm not hostile to new Terminator media, but that was a TV show that I watched for free. None of the newer films have actually thrown out a hook that made me think "Oh wow, that's brilliant, I gotta see how they do that." (Or if they had one, the marketing never conveyed that. The trailer I saw for Dark Fate was kinda cool but didn't convey much beyond Mackenzie Davis being incredibly ripped.)

Some ideas just don't lend themselves immediately to sequels, and Cameron managed to really hit one out of the park with T2, but it's a hard act to follow.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

david_a posted:

The problem is, like you’ve said, that this is the sixth Terminator movie and a competent movie isn’t good enough anymore.

Only one more sequel and The Terminator series can match the venerated Police Academy series:

Police Academy (1984)
Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment (1985)
Police Academy 3: Back in Training (1986)
Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol (1987)
Police Academy 5: Assignment: Miami Beach (1988)
Police Academy 6: City Under Siege (1989)
Police Academy: Mission to Moscow (1994)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Alien is another series that should die. Covenant was aggressively bad.

I went into that with the most charitable of expectations and it still shat all over them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

For my part I just never really saw the Terminator films as a great idea for a long running series. The first film is very well contained, the second adds some interesting wrinkles, and from there, well, where do you go? Either the machine apocalypse happens or it doesn't, either the robots keep sending someone back to try and kill John and/or Sara or they don't, there aren't a lot of obvious hooks for future installments, nothing that makes me think "Oh, I gotta see how that plays out!"

Also, like the Alien movies, there's the question of how you can keep surprising the audience. The T-1000 is such a great elaboration on the original- now here's an unstoppable killing machine who, if you blow it into a million pieces, just slides back together, gently caress you, so how do you top that? And subsequent films have thought of robots that are technically more advanced in some way or another but there's no topping that image. (Especially since now we KNOW you can do just about anything with computers nowadays.)

I did watch the Sarah Connor Chronicles, that was good overall, so I'm not hostile to new Terminator media, but that was a TV show that I watched for free. None of the newer films have actually thrown out a hook that made me think "Oh wow, that's brilliant, I gotta see how they do that." (Or if they had one, the marketing never conveyed that. The trailer I saw for Dark Fate was kinda cool but didn't convey much beyond Mackenzie Davis being incredibly ripped.)

Some ideas just don't lend themselves immediately to sequels, and Cameron managed to really hit one out of the park with T2, but it's a hard act to follow.

I agree completely. Like how the hell do you actually top T-1000 (and Robert Patrick doing a phenomenal job as it)?

Oh right, you don't. And they definitely haven't.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I’m watching once upon a time in Hollywood and now I want to watch a REALLY good western. What are some of the best? I’ve seen The Searchers, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, and Buster Scruggs.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Once Upon A Time In The West is on Netflix

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

fr0id posted:

I’m watching once upon a time in Hollywood and now I want to watch a REALLY good western. What are some of the best? I’ve seen The Searchers, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, and Buster Scruggs.

The previous couple of pages has a lot of western recs

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

fr0id posted:

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. You will not regret it.

Or The Proposition if you want something still depressing but with more guns.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Origami Dali posted:

The previous couple of pages has a lot of western recs

Any chance I can get a top three? Lots of stuff there but not a lot of explanation.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Assassination of Jesse James: a slow, poetic, and deeply melancholic contemplation of suicide, star worship, and insecurity.

The Proposition: a slow, melancholic, and deeply bleak contemplation on the morality of family loyalty in the harrowing Australian outback.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Once Upon a Time in the West: a slow, melancholy movie about the end of the Old West

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

My 21st century Western movies playlist:

The Homesman
Meek's Cutoff
Assassination of Jesse James
Hostiles

My 20th century Western movies playlist:

Jeremiah Johnson
McCabe and Mrs. Miller

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
A few famous ones that haven't been mentioned:

Rio Bravo
Red River
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Stagecoach
Johnny Guitar

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The Wild Bunch, Rio Bravo, and High Noon are my non-Leone picks.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'd add True Grit (2010) if you're looking for a newer film.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Y'all need to stop sleeping on the 3:10 to Yuma remake.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's maybe not a great film, but an entertaining and important one... The Big Trail.

Released in 1930 and directed by Raoul Walsh, it's John Wayne's first starring role, an early sound film, shot almost entirely outdoor in black and white 70mm widescreen. The DVD and Blu-ray editions have included the 70mm version, as well as the standard 35mm one (which still looks pretty epic).

Parachute
May 18, 2003
watch jeremiah johnson and then ravenous immediately after

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Parachute posted:

watch jeremiah johnson and then ravenous immediately after

The man Jeremiah Johnson was based on was called "Liver Eating Johnson," so this is extremely apt.