Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It's alright, it's not anything special, they never really explore the idea behind it but it never goes super edgelord lovely so you can probably chop and screw it to be more interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Bazanga posted:

2e, but from what I’m reading I don’t imagine that converting NPCs and skillchecks from 1e to 2e should be too difficult.

I saw this, but I can’t seem to find any good reviews on it.

I think Skulls and Shackles might be up their alley too, it's a pirate themed AP.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Skulls and Shackles does that kinda stuff better with less of the weird 'we're the literal baddies' factor

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

yea Skulls and Shackles does that kinda stuff better with less of the weird 'we're the literal baddies' factor

Or Curse of the Crimson Throne, maybe, which has a good set of scoundrel backgrounds but still a pretty clear through-game.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Bazanga posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a 1-3ish level module/adventure path that has a darker tone? My players are looking for a darker campaign where they aren't necessarily the heroes.
Way of the Wicked is a well-regarded 3rd party Pathfinder adventure path for evil characters. LongDarkNight did a very detailed write-up of the first two parts for Fatal & friends.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 26, 2019

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all
Ran my first session of 2e yesterday. I was worried that people would not enjoy it because I couldn't see strong class identity, especially at lower levels. But the 3 action economy and little tricks u get from the ancestry/class/general made my PC's feel smart and invested in their characters and actions.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I hope all the old 1e classes and races get their 2e equivalents sooner than later. Hope they don't get forgotten completely.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

super sweet best pal posted:

I hope all the old 1e classes and races get their 2e equivalents sooner than later. Hope they don't get forgotten completely.

They won't.

They've said that they are porting lots of them over, but that they have no goals for 100% 1:1 ports.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

super sweet best pal posted:

There are 4 old classes coming out next GenCon, Witch, Oracle, Swashbuckler, and Investigator. The Playtest versions are currently available for download. So that's something to look forward to!

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I'm cautiously excited about Oracle. I think the mechanics are good, the mysteries in the playtest aren't that interesting to me though. It seems like (having not played it) the PF1 Oracle could draw on some Warlock flavor, and I'm hoping there's a mystery in the finished product that touches on that.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

So I'm pretty new to Pathfinder 2e and decided to aim to make a Paladin that multiclasses/archetypes/feats into at least partially Sorcerer to get some gishing done. Are there any feats or whatever that would be critically important for me to pick up for that sort of build?

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

It sort of depends on how much magic you want. You need at least the dedication and basic spellcasting to have any non-cantrips at all. That would only get you one cast each of 1st/2nd/3rd-level spells. If you're just looking for a little dip, that might be enough for you. This probably won't be very good if you want to use any spells that affect enemies, however, since your proficiency will stay at trained.

The most you can get is dedication/basic/expert/master/breadth, which is five feats, but gets you two casts each of levels 1-8. This might be a hard sell, because champion feats are generally pretty good in my opinion.

I'd say if you're going to bother at all you should at least get dedication/basic/breadth, which gives you two casts of 1st-3rd. This means you can use them for buff/utility spells. If you want to be a full on spellcaster/martial hybrid, go for the full package. You may even want to pick up Bespell Weapon (which makes you do a bit of extra elemental damage when you cast a non-cantrip spell), but this again might be tough because the champion feats are pretty good.

If you want to be more caster and less champion you might consider going the other way (a sorcerer who gets the champion dedication). With just the dedication this makes you a full spellcaster who can wear heavy armor. However, you won't be terribly good at fighting in this case; this would be best if you have another way of getting trained or higher in a decent weapon (like some racial feats that give you access to weapons).

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, that was what I was worried about, it seemed like the dip into caster stuff might not be worthwhile. I guess I'll keep it simple for this first campaign and just go straight champion then.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Toshimo posted:

They won't.

They've said that they are porting lots of them over, but that they have no goals for 100% 1:1 ports.

I wouldn't expect anything else. I like the PF1 brawler class, for instance, but its main trick -- being able to swap out feats on the fly -- is very much tied up with 1E's mechanics.

Still hoping we get a 2E magus, though.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Selachian posted:

I wouldn't expect anything else. I like the PF1 brawler class, for instance, but its main trick -- being able to swap out feats on the fly -- is very much tied up with 1E's mechanics.

Our current Runelords 1E game has someone doing that to basically be the best grapple lord ever cause he's a former Wrasslin star. (Between that and us befriending/saving as many 'monsterous' people as possible we've very much went off the rails)But also fighters have a little bit of it built in already don't they?

Did that play test for Witch and Inquisitor ever happen? Wanna see how they're gonna handle those cause they're my favorite classes.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Witch yes, along with Investigator, Swashbuckler, and Oracle. Playtest has been out for the last few weeks, ending Monday. Inquisitor no, no news on that class to my knowledge.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Myriad Truths posted:

Witch yes, along with Investigator, Swashbuckler, and Oracle. Playtest has been out for the last few weeks, ending Monday. Inquisitor no, no news on that class to my knowledge.

I meant investigator. Is it an open playtest or is it all :files: I'm makin a Eberron based Noir-flavored game so i wanted to see how it was working out.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Selachian posted:

Pretty sure the 2e Fighter gets a Feat Swapping ability reminiscent of the Brawler's.
It's not a 1-1 comparison, but it's similar.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I meant investigator. Is it an open playtest or is it all :files: I'm makin a Eberron based Noir-flavored game so i wanted to see how it was working out.

It's an open playtest, you can just download it here.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I actually like the PF2 Investigator playtest a lot, which is something I didn't expect at all before seeing it. They clearly put a good amount of effort into making it work as a Sherlock without needing to use any of the alchemy stuff.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Investigator is neat, I think Swashbuckler actually functions for the first time since they tried it in like...3.X D&D.

Witch i'm a little iffy on. I wanted more Hex and curse focused stuff cause that's the actually interesting part of 1E witch.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
How's the class balance going with this game? I actually heard a while back that spellcasting seemed underpowered, which I'm side-glancing, but overall, is magic still king? Or can you actually be a fighter?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Gharbad the Weak posted:

How's the class balance going with this game? I actually heard a while back that spellcasting seemed underpowered, which I'm side-glancing, but overall, is magic still king? Or can you actually be a fighter?

Yes. Fighter good. What a time to be alive!

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I've only played to lvl 3, but it seems fairly balanced so far in PF2.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
The three action system definitely lets them do a lot more fine-tuning of spell balance, since the default mode for spells isn't a standard action anymore. From what I've heard it works out, but I haven't actually been able to play PF2e in the final version yet.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Gharbad the Weak posted:

For pure killing things, a fighter is the best by far. A lot of spells (including some of the best control spells), have been nerfed greatly.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Piell posted:

For pure killing things, a fighter is the best by far. A lot of spells (including some of the best control spells), have been nerfed greatly.

That has a lot to do with having two degrees of both success and failure, right?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Omnicrom posted:

That has a lot to do with having two degrees of both success and failure, right?

basically, between dampening how insane spells are and giving even simple combat a more varied range makes being the fighter feel a lot less lame. Plus the fighter class is just designed a lot better now that it's not rooted in 'let's be D&D 3.75' so you do at least have some more interesting flavors of 'I'm gonna cut this orc's face off now' to work with.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Omnicrom posted:

A lot of the "this enemy is out of the fight" effects have been shifted to require a critical failure on their save, rather than a normal one. To somewhat make up for it, a lot of spells now do a little bit even on a success. You're more likely to have something happen overall, but the major effects are much rarer. Take In 1st edition Pathfinder, a failed save meant the enemy lost it's turn (and then could attempt a second save). In, Pathfinder 2E, they only lose a turn if they critically fail the save. If they fail it normally, they lose one action. On a success, however, they lose the ability to take reactions, which isn't much but can be something at least.

It might be a little too far, however, in that the two spellcasters in my group feel relatively worthless (at least at low levels).

Dec 26, 2012

Our party has a bard and a divine sorcerer and are level 3. Neither seem like worthless-bad, the bard leans on Inspire Courage, Magic Missile, and Color Spray (in addition to defensive stuff like Mirror Image/Shield) while the sorcerer leans on Produce Flame, Flaming Sphere, Diabolic Edict, and Heal.

Flaming sphere is weird, you can just jet it around within a 30ft radius I guess? It works mechanically but it seems odd.

I love how Heal works, it's a great use of the multiple-action spell idea.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Piell posted:

A lot of the "this enemy is out of the fight" effects have been shifted to require a critical failure on their save, rather than a normal one. To somewhat make up for it, a lot of spells now do a little bit even on a success. You're more likely to have something happen overall, but the major effects are much rarer. Take In 1st edition Pathfinder, a failed save meant the enemy lost it's turn (and then could attempt a second save). In, Pathfinder 2E, they only lose a turn if they critically fail the save. If they fail it normally, they lose one action. On a success, however, they lose the ability to take reactions, which isn't much but can be something at least.

It might be a little too far, however, in that the two spellcasters in my group feel relatively worthless (at least at low levels).

A thing to keep in mind that the whole "ten over the DC/AC is a crit" rule makes crits decently more common than they were normally

I kept forgetting it in our Age of Ashes game and of course the session I do remember our Fighter starts critting every other roll

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Piell posted:

What about out of combat? Are non-casters capable there?

Also do fighters and the like have declarative abilities to actually use in the same vein of spells?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Blockhouse posted:

A thing to keep in mind that the whole "ten over the DC/AC is a crit" rule makes crits decently more common than they were normally

I kept forgetting it in our Age of Ashes game and of course the session I do remember our Fighter starts critting every other roll

Yes, it's very nice. My 2nd level fighter had three crits in the last session that each did damage in the 40s (hooray for picks).

NachtSieger posted:

Also do fighters and the like have declarative abilities to actually use in the same vein of spells?

Yes, it's all tied up into their feats (which a lot of class stuff has become part of.) Stuff like Intimidating Strike,Brutish Shove, or Felling Strike give you more options than just pure damage. That said, fighters are by far the best damage dealers in the game, due to having +2 to hit over anyone else. (Which also translates to +2 critical range). Other classes have their own feats that means you can do things other than just basic attack over and over.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea the fighter in our group regularly crits thanks to that stuff and actually has a pretty strong toolbox to play with beyond 'ok I go up to him and I basic attack, and it looks cooooool'. Intimidating Strike is literally one of the most amusing fighter tricks to play with just because the image of this guy running up to an Orc and slamming him in the chest with his warhammer so hard he makes the Orc doubt his ability to fight at all is really good. Also Felling Strike and Brutish Shove and other tricks like that give the fighter a lot of control of the battle that past versions of D&D tended to leave to classes like druids, which is nice because I've always thought the fighter 'class fantasy' should involve that stuff. Plus, again, just the image of this dude knocking a harpy out of the air so hard he fucks up her ability to fly at all is some Good Fighter poo poo

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

NachtSieger posted:

What about out of combat? Are non-casters capable there?

Casters seem absolutely fine in combat, can do damage without having to tweak out the build, with access to elemental damage to target creatures weaknesses (which seems to be a very frequent thing from the Bestiary. although the save or suck/die spells have been nerfed, the spells and dc's seem to broadly stick more to the monsters, having less wasted turns. they still provide utility you cant get anywhere else.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
There is a lot more narrative stuff thrown into feats which, while not exclusive to martial classes or anything, does mean that they're able to have big effects with skills that aren't just playing mother-may-I with the DM. Some martial classes do also get some interesting feats they can use that would be useful outside of combat as well as in it, though not the Fighter really.

Combining the cool skill feats with the fact that every class gets the same number of skill boosts after creation (except Rogues which get double), and the much improved stat boosts at character creation and while leveling, means that characters can be built to be optimized in combat and still have good skills/stats for exploring/talking/whatever else you want to focus on. You don't need to build a lovely fighter so that you can participate on the game meaningfully outside of combat.

Spells also, as mentioned, are toned down a bit and have rarities assigned so that the really crazy high-level stuff isn't all just there for the taking for every single caster in existence.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I'm thinking of trying to get into a 2e game (though it's roll20, and I haven't exactly had great luck there). If I'm allowed to, any hot hot tips for Investigator?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I'm thinking of trying to get into a 2e game (though it's roll20, and I haven't exactly had great luck there). If I'm allowed to, any hot hot tips for Investigator?

Despite Intelligence being their primary stat, Wisdom is more important unless you're going for the alchemical item subclass.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
That's good to know. The investigator is listed as being able to use the sword cane, but where is it? I'm not saying I'd use it, but I can't find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gharbad the Weak posted:

That's good to know. The investigator is listed as being able to use the sword cane, but where is it? I'm not saying I'd use it, but I can't find it.

It's not anywhere yet, it's presumably being added in the APG itself.