Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gripweed posted:

I'm a couple issues into Force Works already and JESUS CHRIST. Look at how this fucker draws Tony Stark

Does your art have a sketchy style and no other redeeming features? Then you too can be an artist at Marvel or DC in the 1990's!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

gently caress is a "data solid"?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
This should've been Captain America's costume permanently

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Gripweed posted:

Cap is foaming at the mouth

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gripweed posted:

For a second there I thought that even the letter A on his belt was a pouch.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Madkal posted:

For a second there I thought that even the letter A on his belt was a pouch.

"Do you think this A on my belt stands for 'fanny pack'?!"

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Random venting:

Little over a week ago one of my coworkers quits the job. The two of us were pretty chummy because we were both two queer nerds in an incredibly dreary office, they gave me some of their desk tchotchkes as a "hey, keep me in mind" while telling me quietly in the lead up. On their last day, I had to pull some stuff out of a storage unit on the way in to work, so it's in my car. One trunk contains a variety of books where stuff was missing, damaged, stolen, etc. that got put into storage rather than moved into the new place ASAP, and so I make them an offer as a nice gesture: "hey, you see anything in here you like? Call it a going away present." They walk away with 7 of the first 10 Dredd phonebooks, some loose DC stuff I never finished, all things I'm totally fine parting with or have since replaced in digital for purposes of space.

Move is now over and with some free time my family goes out for a nice meal. We take a walk after eating and come upon a Book-Off, and the entire trip goes to poo poo for me as right at the head of the comics aisle are... 7 Dredd phonebooks. Missing very specific ones.

Legit the shittiest I've felt about doing something nice for someone in years, because I've had at least one friend say they would have loved to borrow some of the stuff if they knew I had it, and an rear end in a top hat I thought was a solid pal just hocked it for $???.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
work friends aren't real friends unless you hang out outside the work environment, and even then, not just "after work". There have really only been about two people in all my years working who were real friends, not just people I chatted with or had drinks with. I'm sorry you had your generosity taken advantage of.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I mean, they were offered as gifts. You can't complain about what happens to a gift after it was offered.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think it's a little crummy especially if it happened right away. Even if they gave the series a shot and didn't like it-- I've definitely been gifted books I wound up disliking, or just not having room for, but I usually try to pass them along to somebody who I think would get more use out of it, or donate them, I'd feel really weird trying to make money off of the whole thing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
If their plan was to sell them wouldn't they have taken all ten?

I don't know the circumstances of this person quitting their job. But maybe in the moment you offered the comics, the person was like "Ooh, Judge Dredd!" but then shortly thereafter was like, "gently caress I can't start a giant new franchise right now I have __________ going on" or "why did I take these massive books, I'm moving in a month I don't have space of these."

Hell, I've had times where I've bought books, with money, only to decide a couple weeks later I had too much poo poo and needed to take some stuff to Half Price Books and those newly bought but unread books got included in a tidying up frenzy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Forceworks isn't as bad as I expected based on all yous guys reactions

It's not good. It definitely has problems. The basic premise is that Stark builds a computer and Scarlet Witch fills it with magic to predict future crises. Great, that's a good premise that could lead to some interesting stuff. The problem is that they never actually pre-empt anything. It seems like the computer only gives them like two hours lead time, and that always gets eaten up by travel. They get a prediction that there's gonna be trouble at The Vault, so they all pile in their superhero jet and go to the Vault. By the time they get their the breakout is already in full swing, and the Avengers arrive at basically the same time. They built a magic future predicting computer and what they got out of it was a team based on the west coast that could respond to east coast crises at the same time as an east coast based team. Amazing.

On top of that, the Force Works team needed if not a straight up comic relief character, then at least a more lighthearted character. And a team romance wouldn't have hurt either. Because as it is, it's just five competent, business-like, serious adults. That's not very entertaining.

And the Slorenian Civil War story arc was a loving dullsville.

But all that being said, I didn't hate Force Works. The sci-fi stuff is pretty good, and the superhero punching and blasting is adequate. While the aforementioned problems stopped me from actively liking the comic, nothing was egregious enough to make me actively dislike it either. Except for the racism. The Hands of the Mandarin story arc is real bad. And it's one of those events where it's a continuous story across three series but they only included the issues of Force Works! So not only was it racist, it was disjointed and confusing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The last 5 or so months of the book were heavily tied into the Crossing which makes an even bigger mess of things. But in that run there was a three part backup titled Brothers in Arms . Basically it laid the groundwork for the friendship between US Agent, War Machine and Hawkeye. It didn't come up much later on but something about that short team up was really enjoyable to me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

So there's been a bunch of twitter arguments about online piracy of comics, with pretty much everyone who actually makes their living in comics coming down pretty strongly against piracy. Donny Cates has been one of the more outspoken people on it. Coincidentally PDF previews of his first issue of Thor just went out to retailers.

https://twitter.com/Doncates/status/1200170332633604101?s=19

Oops.

Rhyno, or anyone else with retail experience in comics, what would the potential consequences of this be to a store?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
jeeze rhyno, who did you piss off and what did you say lol

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
If they didn't want people to pirate comics than they'd sell them for prices that actually make sense, it's absolutely idiotic how much Comixology charges for most comics, but then I'm a very firm believer that digital products should be sold for as cheaply as possible

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
First, you can loose discounts, access to incentive covers, no more retailer assistance, no day early delivery, poo poo like that. Open Marriage Night is probably more dialed in tha. I am these days. An employee at a shop in Chicago got fired for sharing previews back in 2015.

Second, someone is jealous that I got an adult job and can buy whatever I want. They're also clearly a homophobe and a coward.

Wouldn't it be amazing if you put slurs or hate speech in custom text it resulted in an instant ban?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
unfortunately, donny is pretty firmly in the camp that if you cant afford media, you dont deserve it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm always on the fence about it. I love physically owning books but sometimes you just need a few goddamned pages to make people giggle in a thread here.

If there was a major revision in digital pricing and there was an super affordable comic book e-reader tablet the exact size of a comic page (blah blah 2 page spreads) I think piracy would plummet.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Eh, there's lots of ways to read comics both free and legally. I do think a lot of the creators over react, somehow thinking each downloaded issue is a lost sale when the vast majority of pirated comics are done by people who weren't going to buy anything anyways, if they couldn't download it for free they just wouldn't read comics.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Comixology's trade sales are usually pretty good for picking up books for under 10 bucks, and if people want to read things for free they should go to their local library.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Madkal posted:

Comixology's trade sales are usually pretty good for picking up books for under 10 bucks, and if people want to read things for free they should go to their local library.

Libraries are utter poo poo for comics

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

drrockso20 posted:

That depends, our local library has an incredible selection.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

drrockso20 posted:

As someone who works in a library let me say thems fighting words.
If you are talking about single issues most libraries probably won't stock the most current issues but depending where you are they will generally keep up to date in trades. Trades/graphic novels get high circulation so most libraries do keep them well stock. If there is a title your library doesn't carry the book you want you can either request they order it or request the book via interlibrary loan.

Mr. Glum
Jul 28, 2008

Skwirl posted:

So there's been a bunch of twitter arguments about online piracy of comics, with pretty much everyone who actually makes their living in comics coming down pretty strongly against piracy. Donny Cates has been one of the more outspoken people on it. Coincidentally PDF previews of his first issue of Thor just went out to retailers.

https://twitter.com/Doncates/status/1200170332633604101?s=19

Oops.

Rhyno, or anyone else with retail experience in comics, what would the potential consequences of this be to a store?

What was the tweet? Looks like it has been deleted.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

First, you can loose discounts, access to incentive covers, no more retailer assistance, no day early delivery, poo poo like that. Open Marriage Night is probably more dialed in tha. I am these days. An employee at a shop in Chicago got fired for sharing previews back in 2015.

That about covers it.

The insanity around Mister Miracle #1 involved it being the retailers account number being watermarked over every panel, and rumors of Diamond account cancelation, or prosecution. poo poo was insane

gently caress comic piracy. It’s not even like you’re ripping off millionaires or whatever justification you want to use.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Rhyno posted:

You can loose discounts? There are discounts you normally aren't allowed to give but would be free to in that situation?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mr. Glum posted:

What was the tweet? Looks like it has been deleted.

A preview copy of some comic (he doesn't say what, but I'm guessing his new Thor that comes out next year) got leaked on to some piracy site, and it still had watermarks on it showing what retailer had been sent the original copy.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The store could lose discounts on orders from the distributor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

The store could lose discounts on orders from the distributor.

This. Generally stores pay $1.79 for $3.99 books but some shops (cough cough dcbs) pay much less due to the bulk/volume bonus.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/todd_mcfarlane/status/1200084497116598272?s=21

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

drrockso20 posted:

Does your library not do Hoopla?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This tweet is on some shaky theological ground.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Is there a BSS 'Identify me this' post/thread?

I was looking over some old nasa suit designs and one of them had a 'Tentacle glove'; set off an unbelievably deep nostalgia tremor, I vaguely remember having a comic book as a kid and a character had a big bulky deep sea diver looking suit & helmet with a tentacle gauntlet. I think he was in a Kirby style forward facing crouch, barely fitting in the panel.

Some, all or none of this may be correct, we are talking between 35-40 years back :o:

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Sounds like the Beetle's first outfit-

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT1ye8LabGs

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

They could not have picked a less warhammer-y background music if they tried. Looks neat, though!

Piracy: I used to pirate a lot of comic books when I was a kid (pick your excuse: Price, availability in english and not spanish, bad translations, unavailability of books, etc.) and I do think that digital comics should be cheaper, but let's not kid ourselves, piracy does hurt the creators. Is it the biggest threat to them? Of course not. There's the measly pay the get, the bad working conditions, no health insurance, no safety net, no unions, terrible and awful royalties situations, the direct market, etc. But it is the most direct way in which fans and comic readers affect them.

It also is the easiest one for them to rally against and not bite the hand that feeds them. I think that's why we see more creators go against piracy than say, the direct market monopoly or lack of workers rights.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Piracy is what got me into buying physical comics in the first place. I heard about Civil War, and thought it was interesting for Captain America to say no to the government. My last comics before that were the adaptations of the '92 X-Men cartoon. I read that whole series and the spinoffs illegally. I really liked this character called "Deadpool" from the Cable & Deadpool tie-in, and went out and bought those issues. Then I bought Deadpool's first appearance for like $10 bucks. Eventually I tracked down and bought the Civil War books and main tie-ins. Now I'm buying probably around $100-200 a month from my shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I read Captain America Corps. The idea of the Avengers collapsing early on and a fascist superhero team taking their place and that steering the future of America is really neat. Unfortunately Captain America Corps has basically zero interest in actually exploring it. And the comic is bogged down by it's needlessly complicated explanation of how the time travel/reality hopping to make that happen and put the Corps together happened. Captain America Corps isn't very good, and it would be completely unmemorable except for thing. It introduced me to my new favorite super villain, Superia.

When is Superia gonna be in a movie? The fans demand Superia!