Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

An Ounce of Gold posted:

When gina jumped down on the mando after hanging on a pole I cracked up and said, "I bet that's not how the writer pictured that shot (maybe confirmed by the concept art at the end). I wonder if Kevin Sorbo is going to show up."

You’re not wrong, but soup slurping baby Yoda watching the whole thing was more than enough for me to forgive it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Moon Slayer posted:

Just wanted to say that this is a good post.

Agreed.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Pedro Pascal is acting the hell out of that helmet. THE HELL OUT OF IT!

Also, I can only iterate how, between him and Baby Yoda, there is more emotion on display than all of the prequels...

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Also, who is making the baby yoda gangtag...

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Eh, the first three episodes felt like ESB and this one felt like RotJ. I'm perfectly fine with that though because I like both of those for different reasons. The only thing that put me off was that the show has done a great job capturing the old-timey serial adventure vibe that it's been shooting for with short episodes that carry into the next and leave you wanting more, but suddenly this episode is feeling more like a 1970's self contained episode of the week kind of thing like Kung-Fu or every 70's cop show.

Well also, After looking forward to Gina Carano showing up I was pretty disappointed. I was okay for a second ignoring her being the weakest link until my typically very forgiving low criticism wife turned to me and said "So uh, I'm guessing this woman is more famous for punching people or picking up heavy things than acting?"

I used to work in a film adjacent industry and was do a poor job trying to put together a similar thought. That was a great post.

Also also, that heavy gunner Mandolorian came in today and if anybody is on the fence it's totally worth the $30. Hasbro has really stepped up it's game and this thing looks every bit as good as the $100 Boba Fett from Japan that I didn't post it with because the lighting wasn't good.

And yes I know I need to dust.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lister posted:

My theory was that porgs got such a big marketing push because merchandisers watched TLJ and realized that everyone was wearing the same clothes and there weren't any cool looking characters that got introduced. Seeing that there wasn't anything new to make and sell, they doubled down and porgs and it worked.

Porgs happened because that island is IRL absolutely covered with birds and they came up with porgs as something to do a digital replacement with. Then the merchandizing happened, but porgs were a necessity,

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
My Wifes 2nd cousin (who we are very close to) is a sculptor for Hallmark. He is working on a Mandalorian ornament for next year, but even as close to the vest as Hallmark keeps things, Disney did not let them know about Baby Yoda so there probably won't even be a Baby Yoda ornament until 2021 which seems like a huge whiff on Disney's part.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

SalTheBard posted:

My Wifes 2nd cousin (who we are very close to) is a sculptor for Hallmark. He is working on a Mandalorian ornament for next year, but even as close to the vest as Hallmark keeps things, Disney did not let them know about Baby Yoda so there probably won't even be a Baby Yoda ornament until 2021 which seems like a huge whiff on Disney's part.

The hoverpram is even ornament shaped!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sneeing Emu posted:

They even used the "jingling spurs" sound effect when he was walking into the bar.

The soundtrack is 100% John Williams X Vangelius Blade Runner X Morricone Man With No Name, with the levels on each adjusted based on the tone of the scene, and it 99% works. The one track I did not care for was the Blurrg Breaking Theme.

Between this show being good and the latest Star War game actually being fun and cool, it is a good time to like the star wars.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

mllaneza posted:

Porgs happened because that island is IRL absolutely covered with birds and they came up with porgs as something to do a digital replacement with. Then the merchandizing happened, but porgs were a necessity,

its funny that they claimed this was easier than just digitally removing them. just utterly transparent bullshit

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Mandrel posted:

its funny that they claimed this was easier than just digitally removing them. just utterly transparent bullshit

That did always strike me as a bit of a fib. There's probably a baked in after-effects brush for "replace foreground object with background rock."

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

teagone posted:

Cara shoulda just suplexed the AT-ST into the moat imo.

:hmmyes:

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
The theme sounds really good on a guitar. No surprise, I suppose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90ab6rIGpSY

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

teagone posted:

The Mandalorian theme also feels like a sci-fi version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fFl9I5ROfg
I swear there's some other western movie music that's an even closer match, but I haven't been able to place it yet.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

teagone posted:

Cara shoulda just suplexed the AT-ST into the moat imo.

:agreed:

By far the most unrealistic part of the series.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Was that a Droid AT-ST?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mandrel posted:

Maybe a little, but the thing is that the puffins were actual real physical creatures who really were actually, physically all over the drat place. So it would look stupid for Luke, Rey or Chewie to walk awkwardly trying to move out of the way of... the empty ground. By showing the porgs, the way the characters have to move to avoid stepping on the things reflects the way the actors had to move to avoid stepping on the puffins.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

That’s too bad because my kids 4 and 8 don’t want any parts of TROS toys. They don’t even want the Mandalorian without the full Baskar armor.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Everyone posted:

Maybe a little, but the thing is that the puffins were actual real physical creatures who really were actually, physically all over the drat place. So it would look stupid for Luke, Rey or Chewie to walk awkwardly trying to move out of the way of... the empty ground. By showing the porgs, the way the characters have to move to avoid stepping on the things reflects the way the actors had to move to avoid stepping on the puffins.

are there any shots were the actors have to do this or interact with the porgs at all outside of the scripted comedy ones

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

zoux posted:

What's funny is that he threw her those credits because he thought she “needed her memory refreshed” as taciturn barkeeps often do and she just thought he was an insanely good tipper (also that actress is Josh Gad's wife)

Was that obvious or am I special for picking that up too?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I got a text message from my friend this morning

“Episode 4 was trash”

How do I take out a bounty on someone? Just asking for no reason.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

gohmak posted:

That’s too bad because my kids 4 and 8 don’t want any parts of TROS toys. They don’t even want the Mandalorian without the full Baskar armor.

Kids all scratching their new Mando toys with a knife

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Owlbear Camus posted:

The hoverpram is even ornament shaped!

I KNOW! He has done a ton of Star Wars related stuff (https://www.ornament-shop.com/jake-angell/) and we were both talking about how it was kind of a misfire by Disney not to have a Baby Yoda this year considering the hoverpram is perfectly ornamental shaped!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
They don’t want Baby Yoda merchandise to overshadow all of their Rise of Skywalker stuff singlehanded.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I like how the AT-ST was treated more like a beast than a machine with a pilot

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Jewel Repetition posted:

I like how the AT-ST was treated more like a beast than a machine with a pilot

The scene with it rising up behind the trees in the raiders’ base camp really hammered this home, and I thought it was a beautiful and chilling shot.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

FogHelmut posted:

Was that a Droid AT-ST?

I’ve seen some others say the same thing and I don’t get what happened that would make people think there wasn’t a pilot inside.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Ballz posted:

I’ve seen some others say the same thing and I don’t get what happened that would make people think there wasn’t a pilot inside.

It's shot in such a way that you can see in the crew compartment and it's hard to make out a driver. It kind of makes it look like there's one in the right hand seat in this still, but in motion it really doesn't.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This show just gets cheesier by the episode but for some reason I like it even more and more

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Martytoof posted:

I got a text message from my friend this morning

“Episode 4 was trash”

How do I take out a bounty on someone? Just asking for no reason.

He/she isn’t wrong. This whole Disney thing about letting any jackass off the street direct a whole movie or episode of a series is dumb as gently caress. The first two episodes were fantastic, the third was okay until everyone and their dog had a tracking fob (that reveal scene in the bounty hunter cantina with everyone’s fobs blinking as they all slowly turn around, plus everything after that, was goofy as hell), and episode 4 felt like a janky 80s PBS special. I really wish Disney would pick one good loving director and have their stories written for them well ahead of time rather than just winging everything. But deep down I feel like this is how they’re weeding out the bad directors to land on the good ones for future bangers, so I’m okay with the inconsistency for now, with the exception of TLJ gently caress that piece of poo poo

And the pilotless 24-hour photography darkroom AT-ST was an odd choice too for reasons that have already been touched on.

Edit: That all being said, the cinematography is top tier throughout. Those shallow focus shots and cheeseball wipe fades slay me every time.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 30, 2019

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Everyone posted:

The tour guides tell kids that if they get poo poo on they should sell it on Ebay as 100% authentic Porg poo poo. It's also pretty cramped up there, I was certainly surprised how close-quarters everything is. They did re-build the entire monastery on the mainland (Dingle Peninsula), so it's possible that the use of Porgs was also used to cover up any disparity between shots with a poo poo ton of birds followed by shots of the same location with no birds (since the puffins don't nest where they rebuilt the set).

I also feel bad for anyone who had to carry camera gear up to the top of Skellig. It's a ton of uneven steps with basically no handrails along a pretty sheer cliff.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So your most hated Star Wars things are the only one directed by a woman and the one where all the men are wrong.

Care to add a little more so we're not left to make assumptions?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Handen posted:

I really wish Disney would pick one good loving director and have their stories written for them well ahead of time rather than just winging everything. But deep down I feel like this is how they’re weeding out the bad directors to land on the good ones for future bangers, so I’m okay with the inconsistency for now, with the exception of TLJ gently caress that piece of poo poo

Just want to make it clear that Favreau is the showrunner for Mandalorian, and presumably mapped out the entire arc of season 1 seeing as he has writing credits on all but two of the episodes.

Also, Deborah Chow is the series director for Kenobi, and she helmed arguably the best episode of The Mandalorian (so far) imo. You can tell Bryce Dallas Howard was channeling her dad's directorial trappings, so I get why the latest episode might not have jived with some people, but scoffing at the team of directors Disney put together for The Mandalorian is pretty :psyduck: to me.

[edit]

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

So your most hated Star Wars things are the only one directed by a woman and the one where all the men are wrong.

Care to add a little more so we're not left to make assumptions?

I didn't want to say anything, but I'm glad you did to give them the benefit of the doubt.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 30, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like people who thought this episode sucked want this show, and maybe Star Wars in general to be something it's not.

Also everything about it was in line with some of the cheesier parts of ROTJ in a good way.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I mean, if I were to criticize the episode it'd be for playing with white savior tropes a little too much, even if it divorced race from it a bunch, and that story is also a staple of ronin comes to poor village tales from feudal Japan and Star Wars has always lifted that stuff so while I rolled my eyes a number of times, I enjoyed it just fine.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Star Wars: The Legendary Journeys

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like people who thought this episode sucked want this show, and maybe Star Wars in general to be something it's not.

Also everything about it was in line with some of the cheesier parts of ROTJ in a good way.

I think some people do this a lot with star wars. they remember how they felt when they first watched a star war and then hold the new stuff to a higher standard and forget that the originals also had a bunch of cheese that they either forgot or just fall into a nostalgic trip. not saying that star wars then is immune to criticism if someone didn't like something but I think some of it (especially concerning some of the tropes) is just misguided expectations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I blame “Prestige Television”.

Sometimes things can just be fun. Everything doesn’t have to be a genre redefining cinematic tour-de-force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Didn't even RLM said the original Star Wars was more intended for a younger audience /family friendly or something? At no moment they were too graphically violent like the prequels and the new ones. It was just this big space adventure. But then again my parents allowed me to watch Cronenberg movies when I was a child so I never found Star Wars too scary/violent :v: