Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Considering the less you make the less likely you are to vote it'd be incredibly regressive. The people least likely to vote don;'t pay federal taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Increasing voting locations and making Election Day a federal holiday and all state elections state holidays is far more effective and doesn’t have any of the issues of shoving capitalism even more into the democratic process.

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

pkay posted:

Would you feel this way if you were 100% sure he would be re-elected? What about 90%, 80%...?

I mean, while we're making up statistics, why are we 100% sure Pence would lose in 2020? Especially bolstered by a recently-martyred Trump. He could ride the conspiracy wave and then the incumbency, have a 9-year presidency, and probably be competent enough that the administration would actually function and accomplish most of his goals. I'd rather have 4 more years of a decaying Trump-world than initiate the Handmaid's Tale that would be President Pence.

BarbarianElephant posted:

Yay, accelerationism. Surely if the Republican Party do more and more horrible things, the American people will wake up and cast them out! Any day now.

A medical resignation would be ideal. Republicans don’t have time to run primaries so they’d have to go with stuffed-suit Pence.

I mean, Accelerationism is kind the track we went on when Trump won 2016, yeah. Pretending that didn't happen and we can just put the last 3 years back in the bottle if he chokes on a pretzel is a fantasy.

Holding Trump accountable isn't just about stopping Trump, it's about preventing future Trumps (and also preventing the Democratic party from getting similar ideas, as we sit in the middle of Bloomberg trying to throw his hat in the ring as Trump Lite over here).

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

cr0y posted:

Can someone shoot this idea down real quick because its something that popped into my head. Would it be legal to offer a federal tax deduction if you voted?

Aside from the other points mentioned, the problem isn't that people don't want to vote. It's that there are systemic barriers in place to voting. Voting by mail, automatic registration, reinstating preclearance and strengthening the voter rights' act in general, etc. are the steps we need to take.

Extra incentives aren't going to change things, because people are already incentivized to vote. It's just impossible for so many, by design.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Aside from the other points mentioned, the problem isn't that people don't want to vote. It's that there are systemic barriers in place to voting. Voting by mail, automatic registration, reinstating preclearance and strengthening the voter rights' act in general, etc. are the steps we need to take.

Extra incentives aren't going to change things, because people are already incentivized to vote. It's just impossible for so many, by design.

And not only "so many" but by design it's made impossible for POC and other non-white races, especially anyone at the lowest income brackets across the board. Gee, I wonder why those folks are the ones the elites don't want voting? Hmmm :thunk:

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

Thanks SNL once again.

https://twitter.com/DanCrenshawTX/status/1200571285086097408

lol straight up saying "private universities". What a lying sack of poo poo.

Why it's important to not signal boost by dunking on idiots all day long. I mean, I do it too, so I'm also guilty. But every shitpost I make on Facebook with Kent State Girl or Internet Libertarian just raises their dumb profile. These people are nothing without controversy because their views are poo poo and they're boring.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Employers should be forced to pay triple or quadruple rate for hours worked on holidays. Make them really loving think about yanking people away from their friends or family to have them sit and have a million yard stare at customers asking why they are working on a holiday.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ummel posted:

Why it's important to not signal boost by dunking on idiots all day long. I mean, I do it too, so I'm also guilty. But every shitpost I make on Facebook with Kent State Girl or Internet Libertarian just raises their dumb profile. These people are nothing without controversy because their views are poo poo and they're boring.

He had no audience before he was on SNL (you can check the engagement on his older tweets). This is all on them.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

Employers should be forced to pay triple or quadruple rate for hours worked on holidays. Make them really loving think about yanking people away from their friends or family to have them sit and have a million yard stare at customers asking why they are working on a holiday.

Counterpoint: my holiday shifts at a hospital would be loving awful because they'd cut every staff member past the safe amount.

Groovelord Neato posted:

He had no audience before he was on SNL (you can check the engagement on his older tweets). This is all on them.

Sorry, I meant that SNL signal boosted him into the mainstream conservosphere, not that you were. I'm not entirely sure signal boosting here would even matter, since most reading know about most of these assholes already.

ummel fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 30, 2019

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ummel posted:

Counterpoint: my holiday shifts at a hospital would be loving awful because they'd cut every staff member past the safe amount.

Well that would be fixed by nationalizing healthcare!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ummel posted:

They do that anyway. Employers don’t schedule extra people out of the kindness of the heart.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Groovelord Neato posted:

Gap has shrunk over the past few days so if the polls held up they'd end up with a hung parliament like last time.\

The UK is nutty though. Johnson got creamed in the debate and the poll I saw had him winning 51-49. What a country.

That was from a bizarre poll which took partisanship into account. The same poll had Corbyn performing better with essentially the same question but worded differently.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Shifty Pony posted:

I work holiday's out of reasonable necessity. We're a 24/7 operation that actually needs to function 24/7. Anyway, when I work holidays I get holiday pay as though I were paid for the day off at my hourly rate then overtime rate on top of that for the hours I actually work. Basically 2.5x my usual work day hourly rate. Unless I decide to comp the holiday which gives me an additional day vacation day and 1.5x for the hours worked.

Basically, join a Union.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Groovelord Neato posted:

Thanks SNL once again.

I wonder if Dan knows SS and medicare do not keep seniors out of poverty. Sure they're not "go lie down in a ditch and die or work till you drop", but even with both of those programs seniors barely scrape by, and it's going to get worse.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Jaster posted:

I mean, while we're making up statistics, why are we 100% sure Pence would lose in 2020? Especially bolstered by a recently-martyred Trump. He could ride the conspiracy wave and then the incumbency, have a 9-year presidency, and probably be competent enough that the administration would actually function and accomplish most of his goals. I'd rather have 4 more years of a decaying Trump-world than initiate the Handmaid's Tale that would be President Pence.
because Pence lacks any kind of charisma. Trump can at least play a character.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Stereotype posted:

Increasing voting locations and making Election Day a federal holiday and all state elections state holidays is far more effective and doesn’t have any of the issues of shoving capitalism even more into the democratic process.

This is really the way we should go

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Please don’t get sucked into some weird belief that Pence is secretly super competent just because he’s kept his mouth shut for three years

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

also its weird to call your VP candidate Mother

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

SocketWrench posted:

I wonder if Dan knows SS and medicare do not keep seniors out of poverty. Sure they're not "go lie down in a ditch and die or work till you drop", but even with both of those programs seniors barely scrape by, and it's going to get worse.
If he does know, he doesn't care. It's a distinction without a difference. He also knows/doesn't care that parks and fire departments are non-rival and non-excludable because we decided they would be, not because it's some immutable fact. He also knows/doesn't care that nobody is arguing for free private universities. There is not one word in that tweet meant in good faith.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Fallom posted:

Please don’t get sucked into some weird belief that Pence is secretly super competent just because he’s kept his mouth shut for three years

I do enjoy the fact that apparently even other Republicans in Washington make fun of him and call him "the bobblehead."

Some book posted:

“Pence’s talents for bootlicking — he was nicknamed ‘the Bobblehead’ by Republicans on Capitol Hill for his solemn nodding routine whenever Trump spoke — were at their most obscene during meetings at the White House,” Alberta writes.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

because Pence lacks any kind of charisma. Trump can at least play a character.

Yeah, Pence has the charisma of wall spackle. The right isn't going to rally around him like the dumbass in chief

Timmy Age 6 posted:

I do enjoy the fact that apparently even other Republicans in Washington make fun of him and call him "the bobblehead."

He at least winced that one time when Trump went batshit next to him

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Pence is neither smart nor competent, he's just not the runaway moronic narcissism train that Trump is.

He'd absolutely continue each and every one of Trump's terrible policies. There's no harm reduction with Pence, there's just a lesser chance of a nuclear exchange as a result of a temper tantrum (but a higher chance of one as a result of endtimes fanaticism).

Edit: The media would normalize the gently caress out of him too.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

kartikeya posted:

Pence is neither smart nor competent, he's just not the runaway moronic narcissism train that Trump is.

He'd absolutely continue each and every one of Trump's terrible policies. There's no harm reduction with Pence, there's just a lesser chance of a nuclear exchange as a result of a temper tantrum (but a higher chance of one as a result of endtimes fanaticism).

Edit: The media would normalize the gently caress out of him too.

Pence wouldn't whip up the militias into terrorism. The harm reduction in that shouldn't be understated.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

ummel posted:

Pence wouldn't whip up the militias into terrorism. The harm reduction in that shouldn't be understated.

Yeah, Trump removal would massively impact chud enthusiasm.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I work holiday's out of reasonable necessity. We're a 24/7 operation that actually needs to function 24/7. Anyway, when I work holidays I get holiday pay as though I were paid for the day off at my hourly rate then overtime rate on top of that for the hours I actually work. Basically 2.5x my usual work day hourly rate. Unless I decide to comp the holiday which gives me an additional day vacation day and 1.5x for the hours worked.

Basically, join a Union.

Same. Hotels gotta stay open.

Overtime pay for union employees, and managers take an extra day off of their choosing.

I usually volunteer to work holidays (except New Years) anyway. Almost all of my coworkers have kids. And it’s nice to rack up the comp days towards the end of the year and just take a whole week off to do nothing.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

ummel posted:

Fair enough. I mean, Pence would try, but he's not a dude who can wield rhetoric in any way that doesn't put people to sleep. I mean, I'd love for Trump to be removed, absolutely, I just think it's a mistake to assume that would meaningfully change things before the election (at which point, lol, Pence ain't winning).

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

Thanks SNL once again.

The best part of this tweet is that fire fighters used to get into street brawls with rival fire fighters from other departments before we made them a public service.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Trabisnikof posted:

The best part of this tweet is that fire fighters used to get into street brawls with rival fire fighters from other departments before we made them a public service.

A fire fighter was the most wealthy man on the planet back in the old days, thanks to The Market

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Evilreaver posted:

A fire fighter was the most wealthy man on the planet back in the old days, thanks to The Market

Yup

quote:

The first ever Roman fire brigade was created by Marcus Licinius Crassus. He took advantage of the fact that Rome had no fire department, by creating his own brigade—500 men strong—which rushed to burning buildings at the first cry of alarm. Upon arriving at the scene, however, the fire fighters did nothing while Crassus offered to buy the burning building from the distressed property owner, at a miserable price. If the owner agreed to sell the property, his men would put out the fire, if the owner refused, then they would simply let the structure burn to the ground.

The invisible hand of the free market, y'all

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I hope all billionaires get the same taste of wealth he did.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6Dgh7DfQ6Y

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ummel posted:

I mean, he'd get them shooting abortion doctors again and beating the poo poo out of their gay kids

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah I had someone defending him saying 63 million voted for him so I said he got fewer votes than the least popular candidate the dems have ever put up so they pivoted to the electoral college. It's like wrangling cats.

the real professional racists start screaming about illegal voters at this point

ummel posted:

this is wishful thinking. That genie is so far out of the bottle now

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

predicto posted:

The Ohio bill s disgusting.

It also has only 19 sponsors in the Ohio legislature and is almost surely dead on arrival.

Does that mean they would have to try to reintroduce it or face jail time?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

alpha_destroy posted:

Does that mean they would have to try to reintroduce it or face jail time?

:golfclap:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Basically, join a Union.

That's pretty much the situation I'm envisioning.

The reason I brought it up is that saying "Election Day is a national holiday!" is meaningless unless you somehow strongly disincentivize employers from treating it like just another day (while still allowing them to schedule people for 24/7 life-critical positions)

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

think it would be easiest to limit it to half days only

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Voting kicks rear end and everyone should be able to do it.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Holding your elections on a Saturday would help with access a lot. Of course you still have a lot of people who work on Saturdays so having early voting and postal voting would go in hand with that as would having more voting booths in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Yeah, 'No reason' mail-in absentee ballot voting nationwide would be great.