Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Elgin is better than Cena on what planet? Out of the ring stuff aside, Cena hasn’t even tapped into the full range of his abilities meanwhile Elgin struggles at being stronk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Punch McLightning posted:

He's had 42, per Cagematch, and some of these names are amazing.

Adam Cole
AJ Styles
Bad Luck Fale
Big Damo
Billy Gunn
Dalton Castle
Doc Gallows
EVIL
Hangman Page
HARASHIMA
Hirooki Goto
Hiroyoshi Tenzan
Jay White
Juice Robinson
Katsuyori Shibata
Kazuchika Okada
Kenny Omega
KENTA
Kota Ibushi
KUSHIDA
Lance Archer
Matt Sydal
Michael Elgin
Minoru Suzuki
Naomichi Marufuji
Roderick Strong
Ryusuke Taguchi
SANADA
Shinsuke Nakamura
Shota Umino
Taichi
Tama Tonga
Tetsuya Naito
Togi Makabe
Tomohiro Ishii
Toru Yano
Will Ospreay
YOSHI-HASHI
Yuji Nagata
Yujiro Takahashi
Zack Sabre Jr.

Cena is an easy top 20 out of that list for me, top 15 becomes tough.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Minoru Suzuki
Tomohiro Ishii
Katsuyori Shibata
Zack Sabre Jr.
Kazuchika Okada
Naomichi Marufuji
AJ Styles
Juice Robinson
Shinsuke Nakamura
Kota Ibushi
Yuji Nagata
Kenny Omega
Toru Yano
-this is where Cena would be-
Ryusuke Taguchi
Hirooki Goto
SANADA
HARASHIMA
EVIL
Taichi
Shota Umino
KENTA
Tetsuya Naito
KUSHIDA
Hangman Page
Roderick Strong
Matt Sydal
Jay White
Adam Cole
Will Ospreay
Lance Archer
Billy Gunn
Tama Tonga
Doc Gallows
Dalton Castle
Togi Makabe
Yujiro Takahashi
Bad Luck Fale
YOSHI-HASHI
Michael Elgin
Hiroyoshi Tenzan

14th is pretty respectable.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Wow what the gently caress did Tenzan do to you to get that treatment

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Michael Elgin is a lovely human but he’s a very good wrestler when he’s given the chance to be

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Edge & Christian posted:

Going backwards chronologically:
1) Zack Sabre Jr
2) Will Ospreay
3) Bad Luck Fale
4) Kota Ibushi
5) EVIL
6) SANADA
7) Lance Archer
8) KENTA
9) Okada
10) Jay White
11) Taguchi
12) Shooter Umino
13) Kenny Omega
14) KUSHIDA
15) Michael Elgin
16) Togi Makabe
17) YOSHI-HASHI
18) Adam Page
19) Minoru Suzuki
20) Juice Robinson
21) Taichi
22) Naito
23) Ishii
24) Goto
25) Nagata

That only spans back to Summer 2017, going back a full five years adds AEW Superstar Billy Gunn, Adam Cole, Tenzan, Dalton Castle, Marufuji, Tama Tonga, Yujiro, Matt Sydel, Big Damo/Killian Dain, AJ Styles, Nakamura, Shibata, Toru Yano, Doc Gallows, Honma, Kojima, Mike Bennett, Shelton Benjamin, and Roderick Strong.

John Cena could probably put on a better match by some standards (maybe not Big Dave's) with several of these guys, but you could probably find 25 that would be 'better'.

If you throw in tag opponents he's faced (& why wouldn't you, they were his opponents still) you can add Daisuke Sekimoto & Kento Miyahara, & then guys like Chase Owens, Taguchi, Kanemaru, Roppongi 3K, El Phantasmo, Ishimori, TAKA, David Starr, Brian Cage.

Kinda sucks that Tana hasn't done more freelance shows.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I want to live in the world where Cena and Tanahashi had their 10 star match :(

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

forkboy84 posted:

If you throw in tag opponents he's faced (& why wouldn't you, they were his opponents still) you can add Daisuke Sekimoto & Kento Miyahara, & then guys like Chase Owens, Taguchi, Kanemaru, Roppongi 3K, El Phantasmo, Ishimori, TAKA, David Starr, Brian Cage.

Kinda sucks that Tana hasn't done more freelance shows.
Throwing in tag opponents seemed unfair to Big Match Johnathan, because tag team wrestling is beneath the four time tag champ, but also it opens the field to all of the people you mentioned plus the Young Bucks, Fish & O'Reilly, Prince Devitt, the Briscoes, Daniels/Kazarian, War Machine, and the obvious #1 seed in this ranking, ROH Franchise Player Matt Taven.

In researching this, I also discovered that Tanahashi had a 20 minute singles match with someone named Absolute Andy. And one with Rush in CMLL, but that was six years ago and not germane to the discussion.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Spikegal posted:

this just in: I love y'all.

experts all agree that "y'all rock"
:glomp:

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Edge & Christian posted:

Throwing in tag opponents seemed unfair to Big Match Johnathan, because tag team wrestling is beneath the four time tag champ

I too have never watched an episode of the longest running weekly episodic television series Monday night raw

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

"It smells like vape juice in here. It always does."

E: God, Bryan on the Dark Order application...

njsykora fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 30, 2019

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Bryan burying the producer as he signs up for the Dark Order was a good bit

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Goto is better than Cena.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Cena will never be a dad, and therefore not as good as the New Japan Dads

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

ThePariah posted:

Goto is better than Cena.
at choking, maybe

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Coaaab posted:

at choking, maybe

The end of Goto/KENTA feud will be Shibata turning on Goto and having the LA Young Lions attack him cause Shibata will be tired of Goto choking

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The end of Goto/KENTA feud will be Shibata turning on Goto and having the LA Young Lions attack him cause Shibata will be tired of Goto choking

No silly, Shibata LIKES choking, so he'll put Goto in one.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

sportsgenius86 posted:

Michael Elgin is a lovely human but he’s a very good wrestler when he’s given the chance to be

Not really.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

MJeff posted:

Not really.

Just to follow up on he's really good in CMLL for some reason, I have no idea as to why that is but if you go back and look at his CMLL matches he seemed to pick up the style really quickly. I'm talking high level poo poo like doing springboard arm drags and really good topes.

Outside of that he's very meh.

Watch last year's CMLL Gran Prix for reference, match starts at 1:48:00

https://youtu.be/MuPLNMCzbG0

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

starting sometime in 2013 and running through the 2015 g1 elgin was really hot poo poo online. it cooled because he cooled but pushed guys push guys' eyes............

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MJeff posted:

Not really.

I mean, yeah, he is. He's got some very annoying qualities & seems to have regressed in the ring from when he was in the IWGP IC title scene, but when he's got the right opponent like the recent Big Japan match with Sekimoto? He's still good.

It's fine, you can admit someone is good at wrestling without liking them as a person.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I legitimately never understood the appeal of Elgin. He's a decent wrestler but not mind-blowing. His gimmick is just "technical big guy" but he's not really good enough to live up the technical part and he's not big for wrestling. He's not bad, he's a decent wrestler. But I've never ever understood his appeal and don't understand him.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Elgin had a very good match with loving YOSHI-HASHI and no one will ever be able to take that away from him

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

I legitimately never understood the appeal of Elgin. He's a decent wrestler but not mind-blowing. His gimmick is just "technical big guy" but he's not really good enough to live up the technical part and he's not big for wrestling. He's not bad, he's a decent wrestler. But I've never ever understood his appeal and don't understand him.

It made more sense when he was in 2010 ROH

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

forkboy84 posted:

I mean, yeah, he is. He's got some very annoying qualities & seems to have regressed in the ring from when he was in the IWGP IC title scene, but when he's got the right opponent like the recent Big Japan match with Sekimoto? He's still good.

It's fine, you can admit someone is good at wrestling without liking them as a person.

I know that. I still like New Japan Pro Wrestling after all.

But Elgin is a boring dope that does nothing but moves but not in the cool way.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gumball Gumption posted:

Elgin was the first of the new hoss generation. For some reason outside of Japan, fireplug shaped dudes in wrestling thinned our for brief bit.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Elgin is a pretty good worker with the ability to do really impressive power moves, which helped him stand out a little. He also seemed like he had no charisma, so his ability to be a star was limited out of the gate.

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
Why couldn't Elgin go the Giant Bernard route and have a penchant for bad tattoos, instead of a penchant for being a shithead?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
High level poo poo sounds fuckin easy tbh

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Elgin is good at the G1 and much as I prefer Cobb as a dude, he was a big downgrade in match quality as the big foreign babyface hoss

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGlaf9NRFFU

Chasing the Over 50 Demo

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
I bought in for the Black Friday special. Between Dave's understated sarcasm, Bryan's recent dunking on Rollins / WWE twitter and Jim Valley, I think I'll roll over to the regular fee months. That's saying something, considering the dogshit AUD to USD conversion rate right now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I first subscribed doing the Black Friday sale a few years back, let it run out after the month and thought,"Well that was enjoyable but I'm not paying full price" and I lasted like two days without access before I realized,"loving hell I want more" and forked out full price :sweatdrop:

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I jumped in on the Black Friday deal. Is there an easy way to download the podcasts straight to an iPhone? I have only ever used the Podcasts app before and am hoping to avoid downloading to my computer and syncing because I am lazy.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
J-Ru, is posting an old B&V that's been uploaded on Youtube :filez:?

I ask because I'm listening to a B&V on a 2006 TNA PPV and they're talking like Kurt's already got two feet in the grave. I know the dude was basically immobile and had a massive swollen neck when he came back to WWE and just didn't look good at all, but was it really that bad for him back then, that it seemed like his death was an absolute inevitability and TNA were just complete scumbags for even hiring him?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I first subscribed doing the Black Friday sale a few years back, let it run out after the month and thought,"Well that was enjoyable but I'm not paying full price" and I lasted like two days without access before I realized,"loving hell I want more" and forked out full price :sweatdrop:
I did the same until the first time Dave and Bryan started demonstrating that they haven't the slightest clue what marginalized people go through and then I unsubscribed.

It's only gotten worse since.

Being "woke" isn't a marketing thing. I don't want people to performatively be good people. I want them to actually be good people. Because I'm giving them my money.

I used to go to Bryan's house every year for Summerslam, and he's a nice guy. Craig and Vinny super aren't, but Bryan is. But he doesn't get it. And for a long time, I thought that sucked, sure, but it wasn't a deal breaker, because he lives in a bubble.

But I haven't gone back lately because I don't feel safe around him or Vinny or Craig or Granny or the other people that go, because nothing that has ever happened over there has led me to believe that they'd be cool about queer people. Trans folks in particular.

And now that I'm out of the closet and living as me, and I can't show up in stealth mode, I wonder why I was ever okay with their bubble. Because it shouldn't be on me to forgive them for not understanding. It should be on them for not knowing. Why should I feel bad for being me? Why shouldn't they face concequences for being them?

It's 2019. Queerfolx are normal as gently caress. If you don't know how to act, that's on you.

Dave and Bryan are carrying water for their racist friend.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

MJeff posted:

I ask because I'm listening to a B&V on a 2006 TNA PPV and they're talking like Kurt's already got two feet in the grave. I know the dude was basically immobile and had a massive swollen neck when he came back to WWE and just didn't look good at all, but was it really that bad for him back then, that it seemed like his death was an absolute inevitability and TNA were just complete scumbags for even hiring him?

Post it it's been far enough anyway, and yes Kurt back then was just terrible. His arms especially were just nothing.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

MJeff posted:

Pinched nerves were causing his arms to atrophy no matter what he did to try and build them up, he was abusing everything he could to maintain his body despite becoming increasingly thin, and all the while he was bumping like a madman. He's very lucky that TNA didn't paralyze or kill him.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

MJeff posted:

Think about how bad the WWE used to be about wrestler health--keeping in mind that this was before Benoit died, before they got in any way serious about the wellness policy, back when you were expected to work no matter what and Vince "I Feel No Responsibility For My Employees' Health Problems" McMahon's sense of care was the determining factor in if they gave a poo poo about you--and then consider that Kurt Angle left because the WWE wouldn't let him wrestle until he went to rehab.

It was exactly that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
This is Kurt Angle in TNA

Look at his arms and what he was doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLV4WN1lhL4