Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Alec Meer does some good writing about the game: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/11/29/disco-elysium-offers-a-dark-mirror-to-my-mid-life-crisis/

The Date of Birth Generator thought, as it was recalled in the comments, is masterful. "You are 44. You still have some hope" after considering how much poo poo you have recalled and dealt with at this point in the game felt like the most :unsmith: thing in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

I think one of the most impressive accomplishments of this game that doesn't get discussed much (in broader media - it's a common refrain here) is Kim. I think at least 90% of all players going into this game expected the partner the game forces on you to be dead weight you'll undermine or bail on as soon as possible, but it's not very long at all before you're thinking that you'd defend him with your life and the thought of hurting him is totally abhorrent.

That's some good rear end character writing.

That screenshot of him taking you down after calling him....that....after the failed dancing check is like a dagger in my heart

Kim is the best NPC I've ever had. He is the perfect foil to the extremes of Harry's self-destructiveness and weirdness while still having the potential for awesome friendship.

I do want to try a totally bad cop run where I fail every red check and do my hardest to earn Kim's contempt.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Caufman posted:

I do want to try a totally bad cop run where I fail every red check and do my hardest to earn Kim's contempt.
Like half my guides are specifically in response to posts in this thread:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1921534085

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

They really got to make the "crab" a mexican stereotype... really?

The "homes" and all of that? ugh

the voice acting is so off putting too. I tried to put up with cuno's caricature but this too? drat voice acting could at least be more believable then some dude on the mic pretending to be mexican

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 30, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

are they claiming that Mexicans live in the rafters and worship holes in existence

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

are they claiming that Mexicans live in the rafters and worship holes in existence

voice acting just throws me off, reminds me of cuno

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

imagine if someone tried to incarnate your culture, it feels off putting

edit: dialogue is fine, just the voice acting makes it so horrible

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Voice acting is awesome.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

Voice acting is awesome.

must be nice

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

What was wrong with Cuno's delivery?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Caufman posted:

Kim is the best NPC I've ever had. He is the perfect foil to the extremes of Harry's self-destructiveness and weirdness while still having the potential for awesome friendship.

He's also a living indictment of the "oh we'll throw nine different shallowly implemented companions at you and hopefully you won't hate at least a couple" approach of Fallout 4 and Dragon Age Inquisition and Pillars 1-2 and so many others.

ZAUM went "Okay, here's the guy you get. He's the only one, because we're actually confident in our writing. You will loving love him. And because he's the only one, we've implemented the gently caress out of him."

More devs should have the confidence to actually commit to a few really good NPCs instead of a bunch of mediocre ones. Witcher 3 and, to the lesser extent, Planescape: Torment are the only ones I can think of who actually did this. (In CRPGs at least.)

Megazver fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 30, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Rabid Snake posted:

They really got to make the "crab" a mexican stereotype... really?

The "homes" and all of that? ugh

the voice acting is so off putting too. I tried to put up with cuno's caricature but this too? drat voice acting could at least be more believable then some dude on the mic pretending to be mexican

Is that really a Mexican thing? I thought it was Angelino.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Rabid Snake posted:

This delores dei fellow seems like a "holy" george washington figure. she had a mandatory education programs (lets be real "reeducation" seems like a brainwashing) and mass resettlement? and called her military force the "army of humanity"? I hope we get to slay this poo poo

I saw her more as a Queen Isabella I of Castile figure, what with the Reconquista + Inquisition (there's your resettlement & reeducation right there), getting dubbed the Catholic Monarch and that. Oh, and much later getting kinda-sorta canonized as well, but she'd already done quite a lot of "basically I'm a saint" PR in her lifetime.

Of course, none of that is relevant to why DD is meaningful to Harry.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Megazver posted:

He's also a living indictment of the "oh we'll throw nine different shallowly implemented companions at you and hopefully you won't hate at least a couple" approach of Fallout 4 and Dragon Age Inquisition and Pillars 1-2 and so many others.

The latter two have more companions because they’re made to fill out a party. DA and POE have a heavy focus on combat with the writing being kind of a side, so they need a variety so you can build out things for combat encounters. This game and Torment don’t have that combat emphasis, so they can really focus on just a couple of characters.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The latter two have more companions because they’re made to fill out a party. DA and POE have a heavy focus on combat with the writing being kind of a side, so they need a variety so you can build out things for combat encounters. This game and Torment don’t have that combat emphasis, so they can really focus on just a couple of characters.

Eh. In the recent Fallouts, Mass Effects and The Outer Worlds you have two companions at a time and most of the selection is pretty meh. In DA:I, you run around with three at time and I wouldn't mind getting rid of half of the ones you get to choose from. POE is just kinda meh all around. Torment's companions are a little light on content by modern standards but they basically gave you five that you'll nudged towards having for the entire game and two evil ones that you can immediately, cough, send away.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I'm at the final dream sequence and man does Volition really struggle :(

I mean, yikes, brother. Pull up!

Xander77 posted:

Like half my guides are specifically in response to posts in this thread:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1921534085

They will be referenced, thank you.

Megazver posted:

ZAUM went "Okay, here's the guy you get. He's the only one, because we're actually confident in our writing. You will loving love him. And because he's the only one, we've implemented the gently caress out of him."

Masterfully, ZAUM also went, "Oh, and if you gently caress up or intentionally get your partner shot, here's Cuno for a while. Oh, you don't like Cuno? gently caress does Cuno care?!

Caufman fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 1, 2019

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Having Cuno be with you isn't a punishment, he has a nice end to his arc and its heartwarming how hard he sticks up for you when it comes to the Phasmid and having your old crew take you back.

I honestly felt not having Kim with me really stressed how hard poo poo had hit the fan. Though I did save everyone else I could.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Caufman posted:

I'm at the final dream sequence and man does Volition really struggle :(

I mean, yikes, brother. Pull up!

Everybody's got it rough there. Conceptualization goes all "what was that, what was I doing? It's foam. I'm foam." which I actually thought was kind of funny, since the morale heal from Actual Art Degree sounds like waves, a little?

Oh hey, here's something I'm curious about : the other 10 XP passive doesn't unlock until day 3, but how early can you be an Art Cop?

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Ibram Gaunt posted:

What was wrong with Cuno's delivery?

Nothing, they just never met a young chav rear end in a top hat before, it was pretty spot on and gets the expected reaction.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Son of a bitch! I had a nervous breakdown after radioing in to the precinct that I'd lost my badge and gun and needed money.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

Son of a bitch! I had a nervous breakdown after radioing in to the precinct that I'd lost my badge and gun and needed money.

Makes sense. Coach wouldn't care for admitting that kind of weakness.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Animal-Mother posted:

Health and morale healing items are stored in the little orange cross/blue cross boxes over your portrait. You can click them to emergency recover when you're at 0.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Glazius posted:

Everybody's got it rough there. Conceptualization goes all "what was that, what was I doing? It's foam. I'm foam." which I actually thought was kind of funny, since the morale heal from Actual Art Degree sounds like waves, a little?

Oh hey, here's something I'm curious about : the other 10 XP passive doesn't unlock until day 3, but how early can you be an Art Cop?

I just did some quick testing, you can get access to the thought by probably like 11 or 11:30 AM on day 1. you need to have The Jam Mystery quest started so do that asap, and then you can get art cop points from:
-talking to Cindy the Skull about her work
-talking to the Frittte girl about her magazine, bring up the fashion police line
-examining the statue east of Tommy Le Homme
-passing the conceptualization check to drop some poetry on Tommy

which should give you the thought

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Alec Meer does some good writing about the game: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/11/29/disco-elysium-offers-a-dark-mirror-to-my-mid-life-crisis/

The Date of Birth Generator thought, as it was recalled in the comments, is masterful. "You are 44. You still have some hope" after considering how much poo poo you have recalled and dealt with at this point in the game felt like the most :unsmith: thing in the world

Man, that's an amazing piece.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Aye Doc posted:

I just did some quick testing, you can get access to the thought by probably like 11 or 11:30 AM on day 1. you need to have The Jam Mystery quest started so do that asap, and then you can get art cop points from:
-talking to Cindy the Skull about her work
-talking to the Frittte girl about her magazine, bring up the fashion police line
-examining the statue east of Tommy Le Homme
-passing the conceptualization check to drop some poetry on Tommy

which should give you the thought

Wow, that's fast. Talking to Joyce also opens up Fifteenth Indotribe and Jamais Vu, so that's a great start.

...it's kind of weird that nothing but your own curiosity is going to take you up that far.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Rabid Snake posted:

She also

lies about everything else. If I recall correctly, she wasn't even the person who called the police in. You can't trust her, that's the point. She lies to save herself. That's her schtick. Funny to see people falling for it still even after the game spells it out.

I mean I understand completely why she was cagey and why she was willing to lie to save herself. And in any case when she does tell you the truth it's usually about pretty major, important things:

1) That she didn't kill the mercenary.
2) That she was in a consensual relationship with him.
3) The thread she sets up at the end of the game does point you to the island.
4) I could be wrong but IIRC she was being truthful about where her paperwork was stashed, even if it was a moot point and the details were either lies or misremembered.
5) As far as I found out and remember her history with corporate espionage was more or less accurate.

I think she was well aware that she'd done enough that was wrong or suspicious that she could have easily wound up in jail at worst or at the very least publicly involved in a sensational crime case. In both cases a huge target would have been on her back, as is made very clear by Shivers if you do have her brought in.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
What's the most fourth wall breaking/reality twisting combo of skills to go for?

I was thinking Inland Empire, Shivers and Esprit de Corps since IE leads to some of the crazier stuff while Shivers/EdC give you awareness of things happening elsewhere, making you feel more like a character in a larger story

I wrote off EdC as being a "general cop stuff" skill for a while until I realised that it let you know what other cops were doing elsewhere

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Megazver posted:

More devs should have the confidence to actually commit to a few really good NPCs instead of a bunch of mediocre ones. Witcher 3 and, to the lesser extent, Planescape: Torment are the only ones I can think of who actually did this. (In CRPGs at least.)

Yeah, but consider this: a thousand skulls, each with their own voice acting.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

That was me, lol. I wasn't even sure I had an account to comment on RPS but needed to quote that text as soon as possible

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Digital Osmosis posted:

That was me, lol. I wasn't even sure I had an account to comment on RPS but needed to quote that text as soon as possible

PHYSICAL INSTRUMENT: Don't thank me, you are the one who did it!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

playing it again, doing funsies then

Esprit-de-corps is worth it just for those moments man

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

drat that's a real fuckin good piece

It's a really underrated skill imho

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Kim is the MC's Samwise. Treat him well and by god if he isn't the greatest homie you could ever hope to have your back.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

It really is. Everything with mind-reading Kim and other cops is gold, and of course this:

The only thing that confused me was, what was it with that Esprit de Corps comment you get at the very start where it says Kim would give his life for you and that he's your half-brother? I remember staring at that slack-jawed first time I saw it hoping it did not just spoil me on some absurd twist, but is it just meant to convey he's a cop from another precinct rather than your own?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Perhaps a hamster posted:

The only thing that confused me was, what was it with that Esprit de Corps comment you get at the very start where it says Kim would give his life for you and that he's your half-brother? I remember staring at that slack-jawed first time I saw it hoping it did not just spoil me on some absurd twist, but is it just meant to convey he's a cop from another precinct rather than your own?

Yes, it is a figure of speech, like "brother from another mother". That fact that English isn't the writer's first language is insane to me, with the level of nuance he achieves.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 1, 2019

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Also, there are hints that Harry may have grown as a street urchin himself in a street gang, so it explains why Cuno can learn to respect him so easily. Possible source here: https://discoelysium.gamepedia.com/The_Fifteenth_Indotribe

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

So I've just been doing every thought as they come and unlocking more slots in the thought cabinet to do so. Is there a real downside to this besides not spending those points in skills instead?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

UnknownMercenary posted:

So I've just been doing every thought as they come and unlocking more slots in the thought cabinet to do so. Is there a real downside to this besides not spending those points in skills instead?

Might become extremely racist.

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

Its amazing how the RPS writers went from their initial kneejerk rejection to DE to actually falling in love with the game

Alpheratz fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

So how can I get Kim to lend me his gun so I can shoot the body down, now that I'm specced for motorics? Is it a hidden authority check?