Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

So is Rose just a dumb gently caress or did I miss something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I mean you missed all the plot and story but that's the game's fault.

So yeah he's just dumb as all hell and the ending is incredibly rushed cause it clearly just wasn't finished. You don't even get to see Eternus break out of his egg and his big antagonist speech is some still images with no music.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ostentatious posted:

Don't feel bad, the 15 minutes between introducing his motive and resolving it is very easy to gloss over

I like a lot about this game but drat did they just flub everything to do with rose

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Eiscue

You are not cool or good enough to merit a 2% spawn rate,

Especially surrounded by all of these loving Sneasels

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Countblanc posted:

Which of the Mystery Dungeon games would people recommend? The metacritic scores aren't exactly inspiring.

In terms of modern QOL and game mechanics, Super Mystery Dungeon on the 3DS. In terms of story, Explorers of Sky hands-down. I don't mean that ironically or anything either, Sky has the best story in any Pokemon game (low bar though that may be).

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The NPC companions for max raid battles are all useless garbage and I hate every single one of them.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Ostentatious posted:

No you got it. He literally would have been fine if he enacted his solution to a problem 1,000 years in the future a day later, but he just couldn't be buggered to wait.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The NPC companions for max raid battles are all useless garbage and I hate every single one of them.

They have a whole system for trading league cards and unlocking them. Throughout the game I was assuming those cards would be used to populate NPCs for the league battles, maybe next year when we buy this again with 10% more content.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Rose is basically only a villain because he was impatient as hell. A lot of the endgame stuff just reeks of first draft.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Deified Data posted:

No you got it. He literally would have been fine if he enacted his solution to a problem 1,000 years in the future a day later, but he just couldn't be buggered to wait.

Once he boofed it hardcore and lost control of Eternatus I was under the impression Rose had already given up and was hoping Leon would fix everything. Doesn’t explain why he battles you, but how’re you gonna not battle the protagonist.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ostentatious posted:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Leal posted:

Wait so the pokemon in the wild zones just jump up to level 60 when you collect all the badges?

So there was literally no reason for me to bother catching anything in here until now?! I coulda just waited and burnt a rare candy to evolve mons?

Because game balance kinda matters lol

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I've gotten two shiny pokemon now, and they each have a different intro animation, sparkles and squares. I was told the squares was the rare one, with a 1/16 chance, but I also heard that maybe the odds were reversed because of a bug? I was curious as to which it was.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Fun fact! The charmander in Leon's room does not count as a gift pokemon! Ask me how I know this.

because I just spent half an hour making a synchronize timid ralts, only for it to not affect the nature at all :suicide:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think I want to get a shiny Indeedee, Falinks and Sinistea

I have no idea what else has good alt colors from this gen.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

1% Spawn chances are basically the worst and I hate them.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ostentatious posted:

Yes he is. Also loving dull, at least I can hate Lysandre with my whole being I got no clue what the hell is going on with this dad bod having sunuvabitch.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Can somebody throw up a link to the pokemon trading thread? I got something potentially desirable on my hands and I'd like to trade.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Rose doesn't even parse as a villain in the same way as the Team Leaders typically are to me. Like obviously his plan results in Bad but the complete lack of buildup plus how the game frames his charisma and interactions with the rest of the cast makes him seem more like a bumbling fool and a puppet working for the real bad guy (who would be, idk, Oleana) and who gets redeemed ala Guzma.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Ultimately, Rose is a genuinely affable and well meaning man who nonetheless came up with a harebrained scheme to solve a problem that people had 1000 years to come up with a solution for. He shouldn't have done it, but he's not like Lysandre, who in addition to being an rear end in a top hat saw a similar problem and decided to kill people as his solution.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rose strikes me as a man who feels like he has to solve everything himself. We see this in a more innocent way when we meet him in Hulberry, where he insists he can sign more autographs and make more people happy. As an autistic person, I have a lot of bipolar tendencies, and with that comes seeing things in terms of extremes; sometimes I think that if I don't solve something the way I think it needs to be solved, it won't be done, or it won't be done right. It's easy for me to see something similar to this in Rose in how he tries to overextend himself and address as many issues as possible; for someone like him, Leon telling him to wait would probably be interminable, or he wouldn't want to risk Leon stalling so he could talk himself out of it later. When you're so set in your ways, any uncertainty becomes an extreme you want to avoid.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Here's Rose's problem: he's poorly loving written. On the one hand he does incredibly despicable poo poo like adopting Bede then forgetting his name losing all interest in him beyond his use of gathering wishing stars for him and then setting him up for failure and discarding him the minute he gets the chance to distance himself from the kid. On the other he does genuinely care about a potential energy crisis and saving the region however he goes about it like brain dead meat sack without an ounce of chill and depends entirely on Leon to clean up lovely mess he made. Then makes 0% effort to make up for his actions sans turning himself in when it all went to poo poo. What's the supposed to be the take away with this guy? I got no clue.

^^^^also what up fellow autistic buddy

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Framboise posted:

Because game balance kinda matters lol

Does the guy you're responding to not realize that being able to catch the Pokemon earlier let's you ya know, use the Pokemon earlier

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

It's hard not to see it as a metaphor for climate activism. Sure, entropy is a real problem, but it's not going to affect us for a long time. Gosh Rose, you're so crazy and extreme.

It's so weird to see something like this in the same game that also has a species of Pokemon that died off and became a ghost type due to climate change. Perhaps the parallels to real life were unintentional, but alas. It's just such a dumb motivation and my only way to rationalize it is as satire.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I figured that Rose released his plan when he did, because he started it before the plot began, he was harvesting the Galar particles and he reached the critical mass on the day of the Championship match. He thought that this was a no-brainer to recruit the Champion to help him out, but alas, the Champion was more interested in battling. This is kinda poorly conveyed, but it feels like that's the angle they were going for.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Kikas posted:

I figured that Rose released his plan when he did, because he started it before the plot began, he was harvesting the Galar particles and he reached the critical mass on the day of the Championship match. He thought that this was a no-brainer to recruit the Champion to help him out, but alas, the Champion was more interested in battling. This is kinda poorly conveyed, but it feels like that's the angle they were going for.

Because they were busy ironing the kinks out of the wild area and the writing took a hard back seat.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The plot in this game fuckin sucks.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Does the guy you're responding to not realize that being able to catch the Pokemon earlier let's you ya know, use the Pokemon earlier

I thought the point of catching Pokemon was to have hundreds of them rotting in boxes until the save battery dies and they’re all erased from the fabric of time forever. You’re telling me I should be using all these fuckers!?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Because they were busy ironing the kinks out of the wild area and the writing took a hard back seat.

I mean, the Rose being a villain part sucks. The writing of the league is the best we ever got.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Tir McDohl posted:

It's hard not to see it as a metaphor for climate activism. Sure, entropy is a real problem, but it's not going to affect us for a long time. Gosh Rose, you're so crazy and extreme.

It's so weird to see something like this in the same game that also has a species of Pokemon that died off and became a ghost type due to climate change. Perhaps the parallels to real life were unintentional, but alas. It's just such a dumb motivation and my only way to rationalize it is as satire.

I don’t think it’s anti-climate activism, since nobody denies that the crisis is coming. It’s just that nobody’s willing to follow through with the quickest solution with the least research done into it. Rose is like those tech bros who think we can just throw a poo poo ton of particles in the air to blot out the sun, when in reality there’s no solution where you’ll avert disaster and get to keep on the same path that got you there in the first place. Galar will inevitably run out of Eternatus juice, but there’s still time to change course before total disaster.

TheHan fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 1, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Also don’t dadshame.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Also where's the goddamn IV checker in this goddamn game.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
I got an Eiscue in a Beast Ball through Surprise Trade so I guess let me know if you are interested in one.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kikas posted:

Also where's the goddamn IV checker in this goddamn game.

when you win 4 sets of matches in the Battle Tower they give it to you. there's a message about it when it happens so you can't miss it, then you just go to your Box and set it to "judge"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

No poo poo sherlock. After I get the ones I plan to use what was the point of getting other ones I was getting to solely fill in the dex when I should've waited until they were all 60 and would evolve after gaining a single level?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Kikas posted:

I mean, the Rose being a villain part sucks. The writing of the league is the best we ever got.

The characters are some of the best we've ever gotten without a doubt. I mean I love our rivals and all the gym leaders including the champion are great! The storyline is from hunger. Hopefully they get on that in the third version.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Leal posted:

No poo poo sherlock. After I get the ones I plan to use what was the point of getting other ones I was getting to solely fill in the dex when I should've waited until they were all 60 and would evolve after gaining a single level?

Again, because game balance matters

yeah no let's just catch lv60 Pokemon before the first gym and make an easy game absolutely trivial

not like the candies don't make it absolutely trivial to level up anyway. I took my gmax Meowth from 7 to 100 in a couple minutes after stuffing it with candy.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Framboise posted:

yeah no let's just catch lv60 Pokemon before the first gym and make an easy game absolutely trivial

Are you just being dense or are you completely missing the "filling my pokedex when I can wait until they all became 60 and evolve after a single level"?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
They're not saying they wanna catch level 60s before gym one they're saying they wished they knew ahead of time cause it's easier to finish the Dex after beating the story cause you can catch unevolved pokes at high levels so they evolve basically instantly instead of grinding them up through the levels.

Dont be dense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Leal posted:

Are you just being dense or are you completely missing the "filling my pokedex when I can wait until they all became 60 and evolve after a single level"?

Would you prefer that the pokemon not be available for people who did want to use that species early in the game? Or that they not be available at level 60 later so that you definitely have to level them more?

I mean yeah if you had known to wait, it would have saved you some time, but I don't see what they should have done differently.