Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The no-name outlets are almost always selling used drives. I can't speak to most of them but GoHardDrive was easy to deal with when I had a couple DOA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Everything but the power supply has shown up for my new NAS build. Going to do an UnRaid setup with a 256gb SSD, 2x 8TB WD White WD80EMAZ shucked drives and 2-3 other 2 or 1TB Seagate Barracudas I have sitting unused.

I have an LGA1155 i3-3220 cpu and Intel DH67BL mobo. Just using a cheap Antec mid-tower that will fit 6x 3.5 drives if I use inserts for the two 5.25 bays and also fit 2 more SSD's if needed.

I got this power supply: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NWZQX1J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Question I have is, it looks like the two 8TB drives I have are gonna be a problem with the 3.3v rails. I can't tell if the power supply I have will be an issue for that or not. How will I actually know if its problematic?

Just trying to find out if ahead of time I should just go ahead and clip the 3.3v lead on the HDD or just leave them alone. I have the whole day free so kinda wanted to get everything but the PSU set up and done if I could and just plug that in on Wednesday and get to installing software then.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What are you using the small SSD for? A cache disk?

Just curious. I run unraid and I haven’t bothered with one, mostly due to only having 6 SATA ports on my board.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I wouldn't make any permanent modifications to the HDDs. The PSU does have 3.3v wires for the SATA plugs, but I can't find any information on when the PSU was first manufactured or if it follows the new SATA spec. Just wait and see if it works - if it doesn't, you can clip the 3.3v wire.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just curious. I run unraid and I haven’t bothered with one, mostly due to only having 6 SATA ports on my board.

Unraid arrays are pretty slow. The cache drive speeds up things considerably if you do newsgroup unpacking. It's also great for running your VM/Dockers off of.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Completely agree that a cache disk is drat handy for Unraid. In my case, most operations on files are done on the day they are moved onto the server. Plus it's lovely and speedy for docker apps and VMs, but there's one more thing you can do, which leads me to a question...

Has anyone with Unraid compared passing through an entire SSD to a VM (i.e. bare metal, not as a vhd) against a VHD on an SSD?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cache drive for usenet unpacking but tbh I have to figure out how to set that up. I just had a spare SSD laying around and had read here or elsewhere that was a handy thing so...

Actuarial Fables posted:

I wouldn't make any permanent modifications to the HDDs. The PSU does have 3.3v wires for the SATA plugs, but I can't find any information on when the PSU was first manufactured or if it follows the new SATA spec. Just wait and see if it works - if it doesn't, you can clip the 3.3v wire.

Thank you. Just got everything else in the case now to wait until the PSU shows.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Actuarial Fables posted:

Taping is pretty easy as well. Perhaps someone will come tell me why this is a terrible choice, but I've just used scotch tape on mine without issue.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Taping is pretty easy as well. Perhaps someone will come tell me why this is a terrible choice, but I've just used scotch tape on mine without issue.

Kapton tape is a better solution for electrical stuff but in the case of this sense line scotch tape is probably fine.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

That Works posted:

Cache drive for usenet unpacking but tbh I have to figure out how to set that up. I just had a spare SSD laying around and had read here or elsewhere that was a handy thing so...

Set the (Unraid) share you do your temporary download files and completed files to "Use Cache": Yes.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Unraid arrays are pretty slow. The cache drive speeds up things considerably if you do newsgroup unpacking. It's also great for running your VM/Dockers off of.

Ahh makes sense.

I run Sab/sonarr/radarr off my desktop PC and unpack to an SSD there, then have it move to my unraid. Seems to work great.

I only do that because my unraid is like a 10-12yo Atom board. Works great for reading and writing, but I haven’t bothered messing with dockers and stuff due to the lack of processing power.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Ahh makes sense.

I run Sab/sonarr/radarr off my desktop PC and unpack to an SSD there, then have it move to my unraid. Seems to work great.

I only do that because my unraid is like a 10-12yo Atom board. Works great for reading and writing, but I haven’t bothered messing with dockers and stuff due to the lack of processing power.

Yeah I can see that as a use case for not worrying about a cache.

IMO if you're running any dockers or CMs on UnRAID then a cache is basically required.

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker
How large of ssd and how many should be used for caching in unraid?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

fadderman posted:

How large of ssd and how many should be used for caching in unraid?

It can be whatever size you want because if it fills up it'll just push stuff onto the array.

I use 1 but if you want some security it supports a RAID1 mirror for cache.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Matt Zerella posted:

It can be whatever size you want because if it fills up it'll just push stuff onto the array.

I use 1 but if you want some security it supports a RAID1 mirror for cache.

Can it push to array on high cache usage? I thought it could only be scheduled.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Heners_UK posted:

Yeah, if you set the share to prefer it will do that.

Unraid posted:

No prohibits new files and subdirectories from being written onto the Cache disk/pool.

Yes indicates that all new files and subdirectories should be written to the Cache disk/pool, provided enough free space exists on the Cache disk/pool. If there is insufficient space on the Cache disk/pool, then new files and directories are created on the array. When the mover is invoked, files and subdirectories are transferred off the Cache disk/pool and onto the array.

Only indicates that all new files and subdirectories must be writen to the Cache disk/pool. If there is insufficient free space on the Cache disk/pool, create operations will fail with out of space status.

Prefer indicates that all new files and subdirectories should be written to the Cache disk/pool, provided enough free space exists on the Cache disk/pool. If there is insufficient space on the Cache disk/pool, then new files and directories are created on the array. When the mover is invoked, files and subdirectories are transferred off the array and onto Cache disk/pool.

I use a 500gb SSD and keep my appdata, downloads and vm shares on the cache, set to prefer.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 1, 2019

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Perfect! I'm changing a few settings tonight.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
If you have the cache setting for a share set to prefer it won't move it off nightly, it actually reverses the process so when the mover runs files on the array are moved to the cache (if there is available space).

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Good thing I was too tired to actually do it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

priznat posted:

Must have been some crazy amount of splitting to melt down something providing power to a sata drive, they’re not really power hogs.

Startech stuff is weirdly expensive but it’s usually fine.
Two of them were in the same computer at the same time, and it was two single-port adapters powering SSDs so they were under no meaningful load, they were just poo poo. It was a hard short within the SATA connector itself in both cases, one looked like it had been arcing occasionally and was just a bit burnt where the other one was obviously where the magic smoke was released from.

They were all exactly the type shown in the video someone else linked, I found the same things when looking in to it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Snagged a Cyberpower 1350 UPS at Costco for $85 today, clean shutdowns on power loss here I come.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Enos Cabell posted:

Snagged a Cyberpower 1350 UPS at Costco for $85 today, clean shutdowns on power loss here I come.

If you're using NUT in some way and it's a CP1350PFCLCD, beware, I was never able to change the setting for what the unit calls battery low on my 1500--I assume the 1350 has the same issue: https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/520.

It's probably not a big deal, but without being able to turn the threshold way up (e.g. 95%) the only way to really simulate power failure -> a clean shutdown is to let the battery discharge all the way, and I was never patient/trusting enough to do it. You can send a command to have it directly initiate the clean shutdown, but to me this doesn't represent a fair test.

(Maybe the CyberPower "supported" software, powerpanel, can do it, but I wanted to use NUT for other reasons.)

ChiralCondensate fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 1, 2019

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

If you plug in something like a coffee maker or toaster, you can drain that battery real quick :eng99: (actually a 1500 should be able to do it without melting / popping a fuse)

It's been like 10+ years since I configured NUT but can't you set NUT to do the shutdown completely independently of the hardware's flag, just using the percent remaining figure?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Heners_UK posted:

Write through only works if your minimum free space is set properly per share. If the minimum free space is set to 0kb (as it is by default for a new share), write through won't work, and it'll blindly try to fit files into the 1kb space left on cache.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

ChiralCondensate posted:

If you're using NUT in some way and it's a CP1350PFCLCD, beware, I was never able to change the setting for what the unit calls battery low on my 1500--I assume the 1350 has the same issue: https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/520.

It's probably not a big deal, but without being able to turn the threshold way up (e.g. 95%) the only way to really simulate power failure -> a clean shutdown is to let the battery discharge all the way, and I was never patient/trusting enough to do it. You can send a command to have it directly initiate the clean shutdown, but to me this doesn't represent a fair test.

(Maybe the CyberPower "supported" software, powerpanel, can do it, but I wanted to use NUT for other reasons.)

Mine is a CST135XLU. I just hit auto-detect in NUT and it picked up the right model. I have it set to shut down after 4 min on battery power, so to test I just unplugged the UPS from the wall which it detected right away, and then initiated a shutdown after the 4 min were up. That's basically all I want it to do.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So, last Friday my management gave me a couple boxes destined for scrap, mostly R720s, and I decided to build out a new NAS to replace the HP Array that ended up just sucking down electricity.

Then, this AM, my 4TB USB backup drive threw SMART errors, so I built out the new FreeNAS box and started Rsync to at least get it copied over.

This box is WAY overspecced for NAS duty, but consumes less than the HP 25 disk SAS array, but lets me use the 900GB SAS disks I grabbed, plus it came with 10GB dual Fiber SPF GBICs, and an extra card so I can get the Xenserver Hypervisor and it on a 10GB switch and start migrating my VMs.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

taqueso posted:

It's been like 10+ years since I configured NUT but can't you set NUT to do the shutdown completely independently of the hardware's flag, just using the percent remaining figure?
Thanks for kicking me out of my tunnel vision! I didn't read the man page well enough. There's an "ignorelb" flag that supposedly lets me do just that. I'll try it next time I muck with my server.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

wolrah posted:

Two of them were in the same computer at the same time, and it was two single-port adapters powering SSDs so they were under no meaningful load, they were just poo poo. It was a hard short within the SATA connector itself in both cases, one looked like it had been arcing occasionally and was just a bit burnt where the other one was obviously where the magic smoke was released from.

They were all exactly the type shown in the video someone else linked, I found the same things when looking in to it.

Don’t use molded SATA connectors under any circumstances. It doesn’t matter how much load you’re running through them, the thermoplastic actually is softening from the heat of the case and eventually the connectors migrate around inside the slightly plastic connector body and short.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

So I have this build and I am thinking about adding a few more 6TB WD Blues (or Reds) in to set up a RAID, and I am wondering if people think that is a terrible idea.

Currently, I am using a 3TB drive as sort of my 'active' drive to store downloads on, and I shift them over to the Seagate 8TB external or the WD Blue 6TB occasionally and make them available from those drives to Plex.

This machine is all-purpose for me, I use it for gaming, web browsing, running my Plex server, and storage of all my downloads, and I realize I'm gambling every time the platters spin up and I need to set up some redundancy.

In deciding on whether my plan is feasible, I am faced with the following issues:

• The last time I had this open, a few months ago, it was looking like I couldn't install the cage for all the additional hard drives, given that the room was being taken up by the gigantic video card. This may not be solvable.
  • I had a hell of a time hooking up the one WD Blue I was putting in for storage expansion to both the motherboard and to the PSU. The motherboard seems like no trouble, I can just get a RAID card or something I assume, but I'm puzzled by what to do about the PSU's lack of sufficient ports for HD power cables. I am pretty sure I have plenty of power for 3 more 6TB WD drives with 650 W, but I don't know if the solution is just to buy some cables that can spit out more power, or to just ditch a couple of my smaller HDs at last, like the old 120GB SSD I used to use as my main machine and now use for video editing.
  • I'm not sure how good Windows 10's default RAID thing is, or if all Windows-RAID options are so bad I need to just abandon that idea and go with a Linux box.

So my questions for you guys are:

1. Am I stupid for wanting to put a RAID in here and I should just get a Synology or QNAP 6-bay and stop trying to make this box great at everything?
2. Should I instead buy a cheap case and build my own NAS?
3. Is it better to just rent some rack space or something? I know S3 pretty well, but don't really feel like I can trust Bezos with my stuff, even if I did encrypt everything.

tl;dr
Essentially, the very root of my problem is that I currently have around 18TB in storage (including a few offline external HDs) and I'm having to ration out space carefully. I don't know what would be more economical and intelligent if I wanted to get around 24-30 TB of space for long-term storage and Plex service.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Keshik posted:

So I have this build and I am thinking about adding a few more 6TB WD Blues (or Reds) in to set up a RAID, and I am wondering if people think that is a terrible idea.

Currently, I am using a 3TB drive as sort of my 'active' drive to store downloads on, and I shift them over to the Seagate 8TB external or the WD Blue 6TB occasionally and make them available from those drives to Plex.

This machine is all-purpose for me, I use it for gaming, web browsing, running my Plex server, and storage of all my downloads, and I realize I'm gambling every time the platters spin up and I need to set up some redundancy.

In deciding on whether my plan is feasible, I am faced with the following issues:

• The last time I had this open, a few months ago, it was looking like I couldn't install the cage for all the additional hard drives, given that the room was being taken up by the gigantic video card. This may not be solvable.
  • I had a hell of a time hooking up the one WD Blue I was putting in for storage expansion to both the motherboard and to the PSU. The motherboard seems like no trouble, I can just get a RAID card or something I assume, but I'm puzzled by what to do about the PSU's lack of sufficient ports for HD power cables. I am pretty sure I have plenty of power for 3 more 6TB WD drives with 650 W, but I don't know if the solution is just to buy some cables that can spit out more power, or to just ditch a couple of my smaller HDs at last, like the old 120GB SSD I used to use as my main machine and now use for video editing.
  • I'm not sure how good Windows 10's default RAID thing is, or if all Windows-RAID options are so bad I need to just abandon that idea and go with a Linux box.

So my questions for you guys are:

1. Am I stupid for wanting to put a RAID in here and I should just get a Synology or QNAP 6-bay and stop trying to make this box great at everything?
2. Should I instead buy a cheap case and build my own NAS?
3. Is it better to just rent some rack space or something? I know S3 pretty well, but don't really feel like I can trust Bezos with my stuff, even if I did encrypt everything.

tl;dr
Essentially, the very root of my problem is that I currently have around 18TB in storage (including a few offline external HDs) and I'm having to ration out space carefully. I don't know what would be more economical and intelligent if I wanted to get around 24-30 TB of space for long-term storage and Plex service.

Definitely figure out a backup plan, and soon. Note that it's fine if you can't fit any more internal drives, externals are fine for active use or backups. Currently with the holiday sales you can find WD 8 TB externals for ~$100-120 (as low as ~$106 on Amazon if you have Prime and get the 15% cash back credit.) You could keep the internal drives for games and less important stuff, then set up an external 8 TB for Plex media with a second drive as backup, for example.

Don't use RAID; you'd only use a RAID if you actually needed to, i.e. for redundancy/uptime in a critical application, not as part of a backup strategy.

You absolutely have the power overhead to add as many more internal drives that you could fit; if I had to roughly estimate power consumption, I'd budget 100 for the CPU and 300 W for the GPU, and that's in line with the ~450 W that the PCPP calculator predicted. Plus, for comparison/reference, I have a roughly similar desktop with an 8700, 1080, 2 HDDs, 4x SSDs, and 64 GB RAM, and IIRC it uses in the 300+ W range total system draw (per my UPS's display) while gaming.

You could certainly do the backup/NAS stuff yourself as you have a modest amount of storage to manage.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Thoughts on something like this? It took me a while of Googling to finally find out what to call them, then found a plethora on NewEgg and Amazon.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Canadian Toshiba HDD deals on Toshiba drives, this time internal ones which don't need shucking:

$225 - Toshiba N300 8TB NAS 3.5" Internal Hard Drive- SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 128MB (HDWN180XZSTA) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06Y2TSZBV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Xtr5DbP55AP5Z

$290 - Toshiba N300 10TB NAS 3.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive- SATA 6 Gb/S 7200 RPM 256MB (HDWG11AXZSTA) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07CSDP4HY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_qvr5DbHGXBM77

$199 - Toshiba X300 8TB Performance Desktop and Gaming Hard Drive 7200 RPM 128MB Cache SATA 6.0GB/S 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive (HDWF180XZSTA) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B074BTZ2YJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Nur5Db48ZZKBX

$340 - Toshiba N300 14TB NAS Internal Hard Drive 7200 RPM Sata 6GB/S 256 MB Cache 3.5inch - HDWG21EXZSTA https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07N8Z821L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Swr5DbSAPHDGM

There are more deals, about the same 20-25% discount (at a glance), but you get the idea.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Do y’all unraid folks run the pre-clear script when replacing your parity drive? I don’t like going without a parity drive for a few days, but I suppose it’s probably the way to do it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Heners_UK posted:

Canadian Toshiba HDD deals on Toshiba drives, this time internal ones which don't need shucking:

$225 - Toshiba N300 8TB NAS 3.5" Internal Hard Drive- SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 128MB (HDWN180XZSTA) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06Y2TSZBV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Xtr5DbP55AP5Z

$290 - Toshiba N300 10TB NAS 3.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive- SATA 6 Gb/S 7200 RPM 256MB (HDWG11AXZSTA) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07CSDP4HY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_qvr5DbHGXBM77

$199 - Toshiba X300 8TB Performance Desktop and Gaming Hard Drive 7200 RPM 128MB Cache SATA 6.0GB/S 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive (HDWF180XZSTA) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B074BTZ2YJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Nur5Db48ZZKBX

$340 - Toshiba N300 14TB NAS Internal Hard Drive 7200 RPM Sata 6GB/S 256 MB Cache 3.5inch - HDWG21EXZSTA https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07N8Z821L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Swr5DbSAPHDGM

There are more deals, about the same 20-25% discount (at a glance), but you get the idea.

Just be aware Toshiba's warranty policy is poo poo. Instead of replacing the defective drive, they give you a gift card instead.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

teagone posted:

Just be aware Toshiba's warranty policy is poo poo. Instead of replacing the defective drive, they give you a gift card instead.

Can I use the gift card to buy a new drive with a fresh warranty?

nerox
May 20, 2001

Do y’all unraid folks run the pre-clear script when replacing your parity drive? I don’t like going without a parity drive for a few days, but I suppose it’s probably the way to do it.

When you add a drive to an unraid array, it writes zeroes across the disk so that parity will be maintained. All pre-clear does it write the zeroes prior to it being added to the array.

If you are changing out a parity drive, the parity is going to have to be rebuilt regardless, which means the whole drive is going to be written, so I am not sure if pre-clearing helps or not in that case.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Heners_UK posted:

Can I use the gift card to buy a new drive with a fresh warranty?

No, it is for a free frogurt.

It comes with your choice of toppings!

The toppings are also cursed.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Thanks for the advice, going with a 5-drive enclosure, five 6TB Reds, and gonna use Backblaze for backups, although honestly not sure I'll ever want to go to the trouble to recover most of the stuff.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

nerox posted:

When you add a drive to an unraid array, it writes zeroes across the disk so that parity will be maintained. All pre-clear does it write the zeroes prior to it being added to the array.

If you are changing out a parity drive, the parity is going to have to be rebuilt regardless, which means the whole drive is going to be written, so I am not sure if pre-clearing helps or not in that case.

Doesn’t it also do a bunch of read/write cycles to test for smart errors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Keshik posted:

Thoughts on something like this? It took me a while of Googling to finally find out what to call them, then found a plethora on NewEgg and Amazon.
If you put them some place where nobody, accidentally or not, can pull out the cables (inside a locked mesh rack case, for example), then it's a pretty good solution.
The biggest issue can be that a small percentage of them are made with the worst controllers, but that's easy to find out via reviews from reputable sites.