Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

justcola posted:

-If you're on a metre, be aware that using the kettle is less cost-effective than boiling water on a hob (I think?)

Only if you have an induction hob. Unless you would overfill your kettle but not a pan on the hob. Kettles are pretty efficient because they heat the water directly, but putting too much water in obviously negates that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
is IDS saying they would lose their house due to labour policy or is he just going to track down the traitors against him on the electoral roll and run around the constituency with a jug of petrol

also isn't a thread poll traditional for election times? or are we skipping that now we know the true winner, Pissflaps, will not be able to stand

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Lady Demelza posted:

I used to buy cheap leggings and t-shirts from Primark and wear them along with fingerless gloves under my indoor clothes. Being colder inside than out is miserable. Poundland sells rolls of bubblewrap that you can put over windows but will obviously still let light in. You will have to keep an eye on condensation and mould. Handwarmers are brilliant, the Hot Hands ones are pretty cheap and make a good alternative to hot water bottles as they don't go cold overnight. Shame they're single-use only.

Yeah, leggings under trousers. Try to alternate the layers at your waist so that less air escapes. A hoodie can help, as well as a scarf because you lose a lot of heat from your neck and head. Trousers can be tucked into socks. Fingerless gloves are a good idea because hands are vulnerable. Make sure you keep them warm enough. I tuck them under my blanket if they need a boost. Under my bum sometimes because the pressure of my weight helps speed heat transfer.

It infuriates me that this advice is necessary, but this is the benefit of my experience.

Tories denuda est

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Poison Jam posted:

Should’ve slammed the door in his loving face

tories delenda est

Satisfying as that would be, it's better to waste his time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Actually I'm not sure it really was IDS because he showed up in the photograph.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/1201076439250087936

Boris Johnson doing the best trolling technique. Quote something that proves you wrong and pretend it says the opposite.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Braggart posted:

Fingerless gloves are a good idea because hands are vulnerable.

Fingerless gloves are a godsend which I wear round the clock for most of the year, but they are not by any means all equal. The kind that are genuinely fingerless are crap, the good ones have short fingers. And Thinsulate lined mitts are much warmer than ordinary woollen mitts, which makes knitting your own a terrible waste of time unfortunately.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
I really want to know where that Corbyn will shut down MI5 thing came from. Googling for it there's not even any out of context comments about it that I can find. Did Johnson just make it up whole cloth and the BBC fail to bring him up on it?

We all know Have I Got News For You likes to take a dig at Corbyn at the start of every show. They did it again this week. But there is another topical show out there, with average viewing figures of about 3.5 million people:

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1198951179348258816
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1201055079756779520

And I'm sure there another good one from a few weeks back that I can't find now. Also that time when Jezza went on the celebrity version and the rest of the media slated him for sharing a coddled egg recipe.

I'd say most of GoggleBox's 3.5 million audience aren't terminally online or the types to sit and watch Deep, Serious Political Shows. Certainly I only watch it when I'm with my politically disengaged parents. I will laugh my arse off if it's the box wot helps win it.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Oh dear me posted:

Fingerless gloves are a godsend which I wear round the clock for most of the year, but they are not by any means all equal. The kind that are genuinely fingerless are crap, the good ones have short fingers. And Thinsulate lined mitts are much warmer than ordinary woollen mitts, which makes knitting your own a terrible waste of time unfortunately.

Listen to this person, because I do not myself wear gloves because I hate the texture between my fingers! (Autism ;) )

They just sound like a really good idea for having warmer hands :D

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Braggart posted:

Yeah, leggings under trousers. Try to alternate the layers at your waist so that less air escapes. A hoodie can help, as well as a scarf because you lose a lot of heat from your neck and head. Trousers can be tucked into socks. Fingerless gloves are a good idea because hands are vulnerable. Make sure you keep them warm enough. I tuck them under my blanket if they need a boost. Under my bum sometimes because the pressure of my weight helps speed heat transfer.

It infuriates me that this advice is necessary, but this is the benefit of my experience.

Tories denuda est

My mother and brother swear that thermal leggings are loving amazing.
Brother works as a brickie, so is out on cold sites this time of the year. The thermals are a wonder to keep him warm.
They are not only for old people.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Leggings and tights are some kind of thermal wizardry. It's a long story but in my experience there are tights which, even on their own, are warmer than trousers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's winter that makes me glad of my natural fur carpet. I once shaved my beard back for christmas, never again.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

happyhippy posted:

Brother works as a brickie, so is out on cold sites this time of the year. The thermals are a wonder to keep him warm.

Rail maintenance staff working overnight quite often wear tights under their trousers to keep legs warm.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I've spent far too much on layers for the new job, it was loving icy in the office when I was in for the interview.

I'm super nervy about it, it's been six months since I have done any work for other people and aaaaaa

And the election is a bit aaaaaaa as well.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

happyhippy posted:

Base layers are awesome though not the cheapest. They can often be found deeply discounted in outdoor clothing/hiking stores though. I wear merino wool base layers because they're light and warm and don't smell bad anything like as quickly as other materials. Merino wool is a relatively pricey fabric though. But on the other hand, I also wear stuff I've picked up in LIDL and that's good too in different ways :)

Braggart fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 1, 2019

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

It's winter that makes me glad of my natural fur carpet. I once shaved my beard back for christmas, never again.

Ah, that explains it.

Thanks Santa :)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
My #1 tip for drafty winter living spaces is to get a kit of heat shrink film, tape it to your widow frame, and use a hair dryer to bring it taut. If you have leaky windows it makes a truly astonishing difference.

Also I like to fashion my own japanese heating tables by putting a space heater under a table or desk and drape a blanket over it. Keeps you pretty toasty. Obviously you have to turn it off when you aren’t right there.

(Speaking of space heaters I’m a big fan of those bulb-based ones that give you instant heat. They basically only heat you or a small area right around you so they’re great if you will be spending most of your time in one spot and don’t want to waste money on a blower heater that tries and fails to heat the whole space.)

Everyone else has pointed out the wonders of layering but count this as another vote for the voodoo warmth of thermal underwear.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I've been wandering around in shorts all morning

e: I was loving about with a frozen puddle and my foot went right through the ice which is how I found out my shoes are no longer waterproof :(

XMNN fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 1, 2019

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

quote:

Dead squirrel strategy
This tactic is one used by passionate supporters of a party, usually Labour, rather than parties themselves, which (sensibly) stay well away from it. The trick begins with “extremely online” party supporters creating a “fake news” meme with some ridiculous claim about a politician, then circulating it with a sense of faux outrage among a group of people in on the joke.

The catchier of the memes, such as a claim that Lib Dem leader Jo Swinson enjoys murdering squirrels with a catapult, eventually catch on with regular internet users who believe the story, are outraged by it and share it.

When this goes really well, it leads to journalists (unable to ignore a good viral story) asking the politician about it, and if the politician really screws up, they then deny the viral claim and send it through the mainstream too. Who knows if it wins any votes, but it’s certainly an effective wind-up.

All you "extremely online" party supporters :argh:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pesky Splinter posted:

I like how it's evolved:

Fantastic work Guavanaut :golfclap:

Hope we win this, because (in a fitting analogy for the state of the nation) I've literally run out of Hell. Onto Purgatorio if not I guess (we will win).

Added Requires Improvement to podcasts, and Trickjaw to Chelmsford.

justcola posted:

-If you're on a metre, be aware that using the kettle is less cost-effective than boiling water on a hob (I think?)
This fits my experience living with a lovely boiler and having to use the kettle for all hot water (plus tea). Switching to a stovetop kettle takes longer but it paid for itself in less than a year. If you're stuck with glowing electric elements that's not the case though.

OwlFancier posted:

my natural fur carpet.
:heysexy:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was thinking if you're already at cocytus you're gonna have to go out the other side next time.

Hopefully by the time we get through purgatory we're poised to launch the assault on heaven and turn it red.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 1, 2019

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
a kind soul has put the Marr / Johnson interview on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdHxqFYxXYI

funny seeing Marr getting a bit testy. Johnson just drones on and loving on, trying to avoid any sort of substantive answer by drowning the question in words. could someone please install a mic cutoff, or maybe a spring-loaded boxing glove that can bop him if he doesn't get to the point within 10 seconds

RockyB posted:

quote:

Dead squirrel strategy
This tactic is one used by passionate supporters of a party, usually Labour, rather than parties themselves, which (sensibly) stay well away from it. The trick begins with “extremely online” party supporters creating a “fake news” meme with some ridiculous claim about a politician, then circulating it with a sense of faux outrage among a group of people in on the joke.

The catchier of the memes, such as a claim that Lib Dem leader Jo Swinson enjoys murdering squirrels with a catapult, eventually catch on with regular internet users who believe the story, are outraged by it and share it.

When this goes really well, it leads to journalists (unable to ignore a good viral story) asking the politician about it, and if the politician really screws up, they then deny the viral claim and send it through the mainstream too. Who knows if it wins any votes, but it’s certainly an effective wind-up.
i didn't think this was real, but https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/01/google-jacking-to-dead-squirrels-online-tricks-of-electioneering-general-election-

interesting URL. jacking-to-dead-squirrels, eh?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

happyhippy posted:

Fucker to get off at night, mind. Like trying to struggle out of a wetsuit.

In other matters, I have my hustings Tuesday, and Vicky Ford, our esteemed Tory Mp will be there, and I want some killer questions. I suspect it will be local focused to Chelmsford. What we are doing in the clp is homelessness, NHS (hospital getting merged with Basildon and Southend), commuter woes (wont someone think of the commuters?), housing, big leave vote, etc.

I dont want to be a milquetoast asking easily generalised questions. If it helps you hate her a bit more, I'm sure she's bucking for the cabinet as she is always on TV telling us how awesome Joris is.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
labour is going to win this general election, imho

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

mediaphage posted:

My #1 tip for drafty winter living spaces is to get a kit of heat shrink film, tape it to your window frame, and use a hair dryer to bring it taut. If you have leaky windows it makes a truly astonishing difference.

Also I like to fashion my own japanese heating tables by putting a space heater under a table or desk and drape a blanket over it. Keeps you pretty toasty. Obviously you have to turn it off when you aren’t right there.

(Speaking of space heaters I’m a big fan of those bulb-based ones that give you instant heat. They basically only heat you or a small area right around you so they’re great if you will be spending most of your time in one spot and don’t want to waste money on a blower heater that tries and fails to heat the whole space.)

Everyone else has pointed out the wonders of layering but count this as another vote for the voodoo warmth of thermal underwear.

If you're renting, don't use sticky-backed hook and loop tape to stick to the window frames (even UPVC ones). I've had the absolute devil of a job removing it from the rental I just left. In fact I ended up leaving a line of it at the top of one of the windows and hope the landlord doesn't notice! (I tried WD40, nail varnish remover, all sorts of things. In the end it was soak it in WD40, leave for an hour minimum to really soak in then scrape off with a plastic ice-scraper).

I'm seriously noticing the difference now I've moved. In my rental, it was icy cold and I had the central heating on full blast for the last week or so there. Single leaf construction, 3 sides open to the outside, river running immediately alongside, empty shop downstairs, empty flat upstairs (occupants go away for a couple of months every winter) and my winter gas bills absolutely humungous. Now, I've hardly had the heating on at all, maybe 30 mins a day! If you have more than one room, focus on keeping one room warm and sleep in it too.

It's horrible being icy cold and unable to get warm. In Egypt, it gets absolutely bone-chilling cold in winter (jan/Feb). Homes are not insulated and many have no form of heating at all. In the passage ways in my flat it was below 12C. UK peeps would say 'yeah but it's 3C here (or whatever)' and I'd say 'not in your home it isn't'. Cold seeps into the furniture, the walls, your clothes. Horrible. 3prs tights (luckily they're flexible!) 2 pr trousers, a couple of vests, t-shirt on top (as someone else said - layer them so some are under your trousers waist, some are over), long sleeved t on top of that, jumper, cardigan, hat/scarf, balaclava if you can get one keep more of your head warm.

And yes, eat lots of carbs. If you're in a situation where you are unable to heat your home or get warm (some of you will be lacking body fat - when I was thin a few years ago in Egypt, I have never been so cold in all my life, or on meds or have health issues which make it tough) - eat carbs and fat (not exclusively but now is not diet time).

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ThomasPaine posted:

Friend of mine had more anecdotal evidence of long-term Tory Olds finally seeing the light and being persuaded by their suffering grandchildren to vote Labour.

There’s a general sense of everybody being fed up of all this. I’m optimistic.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

CGI Stardust posted:

i didn't think this was real, but https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/01/google-jacking-to-dead-squirrels-online-tricks-of-electioneering-general-election-

interesting URL. jacking-to-dead-squirrels, eh?

Curse you plebs taking a small harmless incident involving a politician and inflating it out of all proportion, constantly circulating it again and again and again, til it becomes a story and leads to the person being discredited or smeared.

Only REAL journalists are allowed to do that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If you have more than one room, focus on keeping one room warm and sleep in it too.
I retreat to the middle of the house during winter. Those thin appendage kitchens and bathrooms at the back are the worst, it's easily below 12C in the kitchen right now so I've just shut it off other than when I need it.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
100+ labour landslide inbound

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Nike Pro Combat and Underarmour ColdGear will keep you toasty and warm, but do pay attention to your feet.Cold feet will make feel cold no matter what so get yourselves some thick socks, maybe some snowboarding or skiing socks, or you can double up.

Both brands are synthetic so it will have a weird smell after a day or maybe two but they are ( or at least were) extremely resistent so you can wash whenever.Mine are going strong almost seven years in.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ThomasPaine posted:

Measured as a change from the 2017 general election, Labour + SNP need to gain 25 new seats between them on top of what they achieved in the 2017 election.

For a Labour Majority, Labour alone would need to find 60.

I think we're looking at Lab+SNP coalition.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ThomasPaine posted:

100+ labour landslide inbound

As irrational as it is I wish people wouldn't say stuff like this

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

I think that if you're in a place where you can't see the sky you keep time by the last place you were when you could see the sky.
I feel like there's a powerful analogy about modern politics here.

Speaking of which, where's that website for the political leaflets, this white nonsense just came through the door:

Strong Gap Yah vibes coming off the lad, still using the hacked graphs though I see.

https://www.richardbenwell.uk/

New podcast game: 14 or 40?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Barry Foster posted:

Lol him just pointing and lolling at IDS

Also that this clearly isn't a selfie, this clearly started with a look through the door and one of them calling for the other to get their phone out.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah, it's a total cock (or cock-less) tease. I'm also superstitious enough to believe in jinxes.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Azza Bamboo posted:

Measured as a change from the 2017 general election, Labour + SNP need to gain 25 new seats between them on top of what they achieved in the 2017 election.

For a Labour Majority, Labour alone would need to find 60.

My feeling as well. The feel is labour, but there are a hardcore tory group.
I think we're hung parliment territory. This in is to close to call.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
100+ brexit party landslide inbound. parliament will catch fire two minutes after the exit poll. the skies will blacken and our children shall be born with fangs

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
As the only leftist in existence who isn't actually a liberal, the only outcome I support is a hanged parliament

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

An obscure technicality is unearthed that means Blair never stood down as party leader. A finger on the monkeys paw curls.

E: A wide range on the Graun today, from Nick Cohen doing his best 'both sides are as bad as each other :byodood:' schtick to https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/01/the-corbyn-i-know-is-a-rare-thing-warm-decent-and-interested-in-justice

That last one seems to be getting an insane amount of facebook shares. Way, way more than most Graun articles :getin:

RockyB fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Azza Bamboo posted:

I very much doubt a coalition is on the cards because it wouldn't look good for either side, but a confidence and supply arrangement is very possible, probably in exchange for labour legislating for another indyref at the backend of the term in 2023/4 thus proving star trek to be written by time travellers

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 1, 2019