Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

as an Albertan, Alberta is most certainly the dumbest and worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

A Russian troll farm posted:

as an Albertan, Alberta is most certainly the dumbest and worst

can confirm

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

there is a lot to laugh at in that list but Jean Charest might just take the cake

Does he want to be conservative leader again?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If I ever met Charest I would punch him in the face without hesitation.

Hes loving scum.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
It's getting really hard not to convince myself and my wife to get the gently caress out of Calgary, especially if her nursing job gets cut

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

DariusLikewise posted:

listen buddy its called an exaggeration, its important to realize that all pms of canada are dumb and lovely

walk it back, muthafuck, walk it back. good boy.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Nairbo posted:

It's getting really hard not to convince myself and my wife to get the gently caress out of Calgary, especially if her nursing job gets cut

Same. Oil will never come back but this government is going to ignore any kind of diversification and keep pumping as much public money into the fossil fuel industry while it completely succumbs to global forces. I suppose the same can be said for the rest of Canada as long as the Libs or Cons are in power so, gently caress, i dunno. Half the people I care about are in the public sector and are all in a state of slow panic.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
It's cool that oil just dropped like 5% today and is basically at the price it was when everybody in Alberta lost their job and Alberta continues to just desperately hope that oil will somehow become profitable again

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
:wtc: vancouver?

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

That's a really weird take considering literally ever homeowner in Vancouver is a millionaire.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
same in toronto

it's still a bad look when we go setting up dining pods under the highway a few blocks down from a homeless encampment

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

I'm gonna go throw rocks at it

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

City rocks are for smoking not throwing. What are you from Newmarket or something

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
if you do, dont stand under it

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

eric ciaramella posted:

if you do, dont stand under it

And who are you, the OSHA inspector? :colbert:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
no osha in canada, we're a lawless wasteland

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

https://globalnews.ca/news/6235987/western-separatism-wexit-headquarters-lake-louise-alberta-forum/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

lol

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

lmao, my boss told me about a "lantern" on the granville street bridge, neither of us have seen it all week despite working in the area because we keep expecting it to be on the top side of it. I can't believe they shoved a light fixture underneath a goddamn bridge.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

DariusLikewise posted:

mulroney cancelled the NEP, he sold 23 federal crown corporations, meech-lake accord, bought in the gst thats just scratching the surface

Not denying he was a poo poo for all those reasons and more (tried real hard to re-criminalize abortion) but he also deserves credit for shepherding through the Montreal Protocol which on a global achievement scale easily makes him our greatest living PM.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I don't like the lamp but public art is such a loving whipping boy so w/e. It's like part two of the argument people make where they go WHAT ABOUT THE VETS/HOMELESS whenever immigrants get money. It's never an actual advocate making that argument, it's always someone going ART COST HOW MUCH while usually having a poor understanding of it's cost as an overall percentage of a project.

This one was entirely funded by the developer, anyhow. Mandaring developers spend a small percentage of a buildings construction budget on public art is generally a good thing, even if sometimes you get a dumb chandelier out of it.

CRISPYBABY has issued a correction as of 22:12 on Nov 30, 2019

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Yeah I really agree that public art getting poo poo on is a crappy reactionary staple. As an artist and budding art historian I do sometimes winch at what gets made though, more often than I'd like. I'd also like to see more public art awarded to emerging or non-superstar artists, as they are a huge vehicle for career building and actually getting an artist on a stable financial footing. Way too often these get awarded to people who don't need the money, and are often outsourcing the actual artistic labour to a factory of criminally underpaid artists/workers (I once did exactly that gig).

Basically the artistic world recreates all the worst aspects of capitalism internally. When examining public art, or any art of a major artist, think about the labour that went into it, what kinds of labour especially. Is it highly skilled? Or is it the combination of disparate tasks easily broken up and contracted out? A lot of what people don't like in art today is the result of the artistic process being subjugated to the capitalist mode of production. The super-star artist is now a factory owner, they (he) coordinate capital and labour resources, often filling the role of project manager. Never making much beyond a paper mock-up, if that at all. Underpaid contractors or artists work out the actual designing, manufacturing, and installing of the art. They get no credit, often being deliberately erased from the process by the "actual" artist. This is why classical art skills have been removed from art today, those skills are hard trained, valuable, and possess an innate individual character. That sort of artistic labour does not easily bend to the division of labour, and thus cannot be made a part of the modern commercialized artistic process.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i think as an artist, and also as someone curating art for the public space, you have some responsibility to understand the context and space where the work is being displayed. and perhaps a gaudy chandelier isn't the best fit for a highway underpass where people are sleeping rough

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Absolutely, I couldn't agree more.

"Artist" is essentially a useless term, one that obfuscates and artificially flattens reality. The term gets used to imply artists are a separate, unique class in society. Tied up here is the mystification of the creative process. Mostly though the term hides the real labour relations and class allegiances held by "artists". Rich artists exploit poor artists to make crappy commercially viable manufactured art, but because we are all "artists" poor artists get blamed and collectively punished though defunding for the bad art made by the rich.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

CRISPYBABY posted:

This one was entirely funded by the developer, anyhow.

That's why I'm going to go throw rocks at it

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

infernal machines posted:

i think as an artist, and also as someone curating art for the public space, you have some responsibility to understand the context and space where the work is being displayed. and perhaps a gaudy chandelier isn't the best fit for a highway underpass where people are sleeping rough

Yeah also this

My partner is a (actual unironic) classical composer who is apparently a big deal in the music world (mostly in, like, Germany and Netherlands) and I'm not sure if there is a parallel in his world to this sort of sculpture, but also that 4 million dollars could have basically kept him and all of his colleagues happy for a long time instead of putting some tasteless poo poo over the heads of homeless people.

There should be more publicly funded art and getting what public funding there is should be a lot easier because there are too many barriers to entry to applying for grants imo

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m has issued a correction as of 00:28 on Dec 1, 2019

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

yeah, it tends to hold true that those that need and would benefit the most from a grant are the least likely to receive one. Not because their project is undeserving, but because the whole process basically is built to shut out anyone not already on the inside.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Perhaps I'm being naive here, but maybe the display of a fabulously overpriced symbol often found in the homes of the wealthy over a location frequented by homeless people is part of the message?

After all, we're talking about the issue right now.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Wow, it only cost $5 million to get us to have a conversation about homelessness and wealth inequality in Vancouver! Incredible.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

perhaps their next piece could be to put an actual homeless encampment inside a condo lobby

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

I'm not saying it's a good use of money. :shrug:

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
Jesus christ, is someone in this thread trying to defend this monstrosity by bringing up the value of public art in general? Would you be defending a mural celebrating a confederate officer or a residential school? This poo poo is inexcusable, I'm disgusted that it hasn't been destroyed already.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Back in July, Vancouver House, the condo tower next to this chandelier had 30+ units for sale. Now there are zero units up for sale. Does anyone know what happened to them? They certainly weren't sold.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

Jesus christ, is someone in this thread trying to defend this monstrosity by bringing up the value of public art in general? Would you be defending a mural celebrating a confederate officer or a residential school? This poo poo is inexcusable, I'm disgusted that it hasn't been destroyed already.

seemed more like a "silver lining" kinda thing, not a defence

half cocaine posted:

Back in July, Vancouver House, the condo tower next to this chandelier had 30+ units for sale. Now there are zero units up for sale. Does anyone know what happened to them? They certainly weren't sold.

I saw something on twitter about developers taking out loans to buy their own unsold inventory, presumably in hopes of relisting when the market improves (and juking the stats in the meantime). dont remember where or which developers, but maybe that?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I was surprised to read that Mayor Kennedy was so enthusiastic about that chandelier art. He seemed like a fairly progressive dude. Council had just expropriated a couple of the worst SROs to fix up for acceptable housing etc. I dont follow too closely because Im a terrible burbs dweller.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

pokeyman posted:

seemed more like a "silver lining" kinda thing, not a defence

When the message is "gently caress you poor people we're living in unimaginable luxury and laughing at you while you die of exposure in the streets" the fact that public art is being created is not in any way a silver lining.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:gerty:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 04:41 on Jun 20, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

infernal machines posted:

perhaps a gaudy chandelier isn't the best fit for a highway underpass where people are sleeping rough

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

if art is supposed to contain some sort of inherent truth, then it's pretty apt for vancouver.

now if it cost ten grand and the rest of the value used to launder money then it'd be masterpiece.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

When the message is "gently caress you poor people we're living in unimaginable luxury and laughing at you while you die of exposure in the streets" the fact that public art is being created is not in any way a silver lining.

oh, yeah. I was thinking of "at least its sparking conversation"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
stealing a fire truck, driving it through a park, purposefully trying to hit people: taser

robbing a 7-11 with a machete and walking towards a cop with in the air while he steps in your path: 9 bullets

winnipeg police justice