Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

just to be clear is this the one who said trump was golfing at his resort when that was literally what he said he was doing as cover for his trip, before we found out about his trip?

So, did a reporter get fired for reporting on what the president said he was doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

oxsnard posted:

Voter suppression is real, but apathy is the real problem. Almost 50% of voters in 2018 were older than 53. Meanwhile, 84.6% of Americans have a driver's license, which is the main way voter institutionalized suppression is executed. The biggest danger to the GOP is younger generations finally giving a poo poo and realizing that collectively, voicing their concerns can change the country dramatically

Ok voter

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

sexpig by night posted:

just to be clear is this the one who said trump was golfing at his resort when that was literally what he said he was doing as cover for his trip, before we found out about his trip?

So, did a reporter get fired for reporting on what the president said he was doing?

By the looks of things, yes! Pretty wild, right?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Hunt11 posted:

What is the GOP's obsession with trying to get hostile witnesses?

It's two things as far as I can tell. First thing is:

FizFashizzle posted:

Everything the GOP does is about establishing narratives for fox news.

They want to try to make propaganda out of such events. No matter how badly things go, they trust their propaganda arm to find at least one or two soundbytes that out of context and with very leading questions about it will sound bad about their target for their audience.

The second is desperation to just pretend they're in charge. Screaming "No I'm the boss, not you! You're not investigating me, I'm investigating you!" and fully expecting the real world to go like your daydreams because they, as rich white men, have always been so very blessed in life before that they think that's how the world really works.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

Dammerung posted:

By the looks of things, yes! Pretty wild, right?

almost: their editor asked for a pre-write about Thanksgiving for trump several days in advance, the reporter submitted a reasonable guess, then the editorial staff didn't pull it when it at the last minute when it became clear that Trump wasn't doing that

the reporter did literally nothing wrong, management hosed up and they got fired for no reason (except scapegoating because they're terrified of republicans)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

eke out posted:

almost: their editor asked for a pre-write about Thanksgiving for trump several days in advance, the reporter submitted a reasonable guess, then the editorial staff didn't pull it when it at the last minute when it became clear that Trump wasn't doing that

the reporter did literally nothing wrong, management hosed up and they got fired for no reason (except scapegoating because they're terrified of republicans)

what a normal and good system

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

eke out posted:

Seems like the editor should be fired to me, unless editor is one of those magical positions wherein everything you do immediately becomes your sole success or somebody else's fault. What a tragic situation.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dammerung posted:

Seems like the editor should be fired to me, unless editor is one of those magical positions wherein everything you do immediately becomes your sole success or somebody else's fault. What a tragic situation.

it seems like no one should be fired to me, but sure as hell not the reporter who had no control over when their pre-written piece was run

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

eke out posted:

it seems like no one should be fired to me, but sure as hell not the reporter who had no control over when their pre-written piece was run

Maybe I'm just not fully understanding the situation, but if the editorial staff got the reporter into that situation and then did nothing to defend them, I would disagree. I can't see any way to work with people who will sacrifice their coworkers to save themselves like that. I agree that nobody should have been fired, but that kind of scapegoating is unacceptable when it leads to such dire consequences.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Groovelord Neato posted:

The groups that measure that don't generally count lobbying and poo poo like what the Koches do as corruption so the rankings are useless. poo poo the top politician personally enriching himself with millions of taxpayer dollars would make Italy blush.
They are actually very useful for all purposes other than scoring internet owns.

It's nice to know where you don't need to carry cash to bribe cops with.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dammerung posted:

Maybe I'm just not fully understanding the situation, but if the editorial staff got the reporter into that situation and then did nothing to defend them, I would disagree. I can't see any way to work with people who will sacrifice their coworkers to save themselves like that. I agree that nobody should have been fired, but that kind of scapegoating is unacceptable when it leads to such dire consequences.

oh you mean that now they should be fired for their huge fuckup in firing the reporter -- yes, i agree with that, though the rot/institutional cowardice here that causes that probably goes a lot higher than their immediate supervisor

but yeah i meant it was initially a minor mistake that could've been handled with a tweet and a correction note on the article, no one needed to lose a job.

eke out fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 1, 2019

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Hunt11 posted:

What is the GOP's obsession with trying to get hostile witnesses?

Congressional questioning when you're the opposition is to grandstand for 5 minutes and cutoff the witness to make it look like they got "owned" by your questioning. Then it goes to the RWN sphere and produces articles like, ADAM SCHIFF CAN'T ANSWER BASIC QUESTIONS ON BIDEN CORRUPTION.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

eke out posted:

oh you mean that now they should be fired for their huge fuckup in firing the reporter -- yes, i agree with that

but yeah i meant it was initially a minor mistake that could've been handled with a tweet and a correction note on the article, no one needed to lose a job.

That's what it comes down to for me. What's the worst that could happen, President Trump calls them fake news? He would have done that anyway. The reporter's firing was completely pointless and nonsensical. The mistake came about due to editorial, wasn't too bad, and they responded to the potential of being embarrassed by removing her income for no good reason and giving her an unfairly earned reputation. I hate the kind of mentality that makes such actions justifiable, I really do.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

BiggerBoat posted:

You write good stuff and I tend to like your posts but this is a round about way of saying that Americans just don't work hard enough and refuse to do so when it's totally proven that the average American works harder and harder for less and less over a fairly large time span. Sure, we have lazy citizens here but I don't think it's anything close to being most of us.

Don't disagree. I was responding to someone trying to just pick up and leave the US though, not making a broad cultural comment.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
https://www.axios.com/john-kennedy-ukraine-interference-chuck-todd-04d039bc-27b4-4151-9d50-f06e04249011.html

Chuck Todd blows but he does a good job of holding Kennedy's feet to the fire

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Dammerung posted:

Periodic reminder that Newsweek is now Weekly World News level trash, and anything resembling journalism there is purely coincidental.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

saintonan posted:

Periodic reminder that Newsweek is now Weekly World News level trash, and anything resembling journalism there is purely coincidental.
You take that back!

The WWN was great and we are a lesser society now that it is gone.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Rent-A-Cop posted:

You take that back!

There's a place for trash rags, but taking them seriously outside of Men In Black scripts is pretty weird.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Shifty Pony posted:

That's pretty much the situation I'm envisioning.

The reason I brought it up is that saying "Election Day is a national holiday!" is meaningless unless you somehow strongly disincentivize employers from treating it like just another day (while still allowing them to schedule people for 24/7 life-critical positions)

E. this has already been covered.

But on a side note I want to chime in and say that the republicans in the house intelligence committee and the house judicial committee basically have nothing so they just have to convince their chud base that trump did nothing wrong. The GOP knows that the average conservative voter watches fox news and thinks anything posted on twitter or facebook that has the slightest hint of liberal vibes is fake news. They live in a different world

ManBoyChef fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 1, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rent-A-Cop posted:

They are actually very useful for all purposes other than scoring internet owns.

Nah for the reasons I said in my post.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rent-A-Cop posted:

You take that back!

We're still stuck with Batboy as a US Senator, so it's legacy will be with us for a long time

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

VH4Ever posted:

You guys realize that second clip is yet another part of the recycled clip from 2017 where he also talked about the whole "Corn Pop" rumble story right? That's not new.

No! Which is why I asked previously if there was more context to it because it was suddenly getting passed around and I had no idea what it was about or when it was from.

Groovelord Neato posted:

That Amazon review of The Report that was whining about Feinstein being portrayed as a hero that I posted a few days back is pretty hilarious considering she comes across as anything but. She's barely better than the Republicans in the movie.

She comes off with nothing but timidity and almost acting as though she wants her hand to be forced, which is the only way she does the right thing.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Yeah now all the Trumpists will update their opinions about Newsweek in light of this brave commitment to high journalistic standards.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Numlock posted:

They are just as bad, that they haven’t achieved total success yet. Don’t confuse this for virtue.

Yeah sorry but "as bad" includes "as effective at controlling society". Billionaires in the US are objectively worse because they are not only as morally corrupt, they enjoy much greater control.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Midgetskydiver posted:

Yeah sorry but "as bad" includes "as effective at controlling society". Billionaires in the US are objectively worse because they are not only as morally corrupt, they enjoy much greater control.

The part you are overlooking is the sheer number of billionaires the USA has compared to other countries. Of course they are going to have more power with that many of them exploiting your system. Canada would be no better off if we had an equal number of billionaire proportionate to our population.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Furnaceface posted:

The part you are overlooking is the sheer number of billionaires the USA has compared to other countries. Of course they are going to have more power with that many of them exploiting your system. Canada would be no better off if we had an equal number of billionaire proportionate to our population.

"As bad" also includes the quantity. If you define billionaires as an aberration and a problem in society, which I do, then all these aspects factor in to how bad the problem is. No one gives a poo poo what anyone's opinion is on "how moral are billionaires individually". They are all immoral. Their existence is immoral. We need to stop thinking of them as individuals, because that allows the problem to be humanized. The problem isn't human, it is systemic. Our problem in the US is worse than in any other country because they are more numerous, more powerful, more embedded, and more idolized here than just about anywhere else except perhaps Russia. I don't care if Russian billionaires are more personally good or bad than the ones in the US. That's a dumb argument. The real argument is "how bad is the billionaire problem?" and the US billionaire problem is worse here than it is in France, the UK, Australia, or Canada.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 1, 2019

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/AdamHSays/status/1200915101253066757

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

Remember when conservatives poo poo their pants, attacked Roseanne and called her unpatriotic for having the audacity to be an overweight female who can't sing butcher our sacred song? I bet they don't.

Speaking of that, remember the flag kneeling NFL anthem bullshit? Here's an idea. Just don't play the national anthem at sporting events. There's no reason for it. And it's not due to 9/11 like some people say. I distinctly recall standing for the anthem at baseball, football and hockey games WELL before September 11th.

They played the anthem before 9/11 but athletes usually weren't on the field until afterwards. Before they were just in the locker rooms doing whatever, and there's no reason we couldn't go back to that if it would help poor conservatives' little feelings.

Also besides the given vote suppression and other challenges given, a lot of non-voters' apathy can be understood as them understanding they have very little chance to influence the election. Between gerrymandering and first-past-the-post guaranteeing there's only a few candidates that even have a chance, and that decision is often made in the primary, there's often little reason to vote. Or it takes a lot of effort to figure out all the candidates and unless you're represented by one of the two parties there's not as much incentive to put in the effort.

Switching to a more representative system might increase engagement since you don't have to worry about strategic voting as much.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Midgetskydiver posted:

"As bad" also includes the quantity. If you define billionaires as an aberration and a problem in society, which I do, then all these aspects factor in to how bad the problem is. No one gives a poo poo what anyone's opinion is on "how moral are billionaires individually". They are all immoral. Their existence is immoral. We need to stop thinking of them as individuals, because that allows the problem to be humanized. The problem isn't human, it is systemic. Our problem in the US is worse than in any other country because they are more numerous, more powerful, more embedded, and more idolized here than just about anywhere else except perhaps Russia. I don't care if Russian billionaires are more personally good or bad than the ones in the US. That's a dumb argument. The real argument is "how bad is the billionaire problem?" and the US billionaire problem is worse here than it is in France, the UK, Australia, or Canada.

I’ll make sure I consult you on the correct semantics to use before I carelessly besmirch the reputation of non-American billionaires again. Jesus Christ.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Gonna let one of my favorite communists weigh in on the discussion from earlier today:

https://twitter.com/joshuaclov3r/status/1201196430528057346?s=19

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Numlock posted:

I’ll make sure I consult you on the correct semantics to use before I carelessly besmirch the reputation of non-American billionaires again. Jesus Christ.

Yeah go ahead and make that your takeaway from my post.

"I don't care if Russian billionaires are more personally good or bad than the ones in the US. That's a dumb argument" sure sounds like a moral defense of non-American billionaires. Explicitly saying such an argument is dumb and pointless is the same thing as saying non-American billionaires are morally superior to their American counterparts. You haven't missed the point at all.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Just because VH4ever is being such an irritating dumbass, the ACLU estimates that in 2012 national elections, about 5 million people who could have voted didn't due to voter suppression. When you look at turnout as a whole, white and poc together, voter apathy has a larger effect than suppression.

The fact that apathy has a larger effect than suppression does not mean that suppression does not exist or should not be combated, and only a contrarian troll would say otherwise.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
But that's not actually the point he was making. Y'all made it about pure volume. His point was always over which affects the electoral outcome more.

Edit: and those are actually different things.

Double Edit: or at least the very least that shouldn't have been the point

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 1, 2019

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
For gently caress sake stop slapfighting.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

fool_of_sound posted:

For gently caress sake stop slapfighting.

New thread title?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

WampaLord posted:

Rick Scott, current Senator and former Governor of Florida, is one of the biggest Medicare fraudsters in the country.

Very uncorrupt system, the best!

Republicans no joke see this as a solid argument against the idea of Medicare than Rick Scott being a corrupt rear end in a top hat.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

BiggerBoat posted:

Republicans no joke see this as a solid argument against the idea of Medicare than Rick Scott being a corrupt rear end in a top hat.

This is something I really hate about voters in Florida. They have Scott's deposition which was used in ads that played on the tv nonstop during the elections. His medicare fraud was brought up in the Orlando Sentinel a number of times and I believe it had been brought up in most normal newspapers. These stupid people in this state voted a fraudster in as governor and then senator. Wtf is wrong with these people? I guess they couldn't get Bernie Maddoff or a convicted serial child molester for the job.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Sadly being escorted out by security with a box of your belongings because you wrote an inaccurate story about Donald Trump's Thanksgiving, passing many offices of people who lied the country into the Iraq invasion.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

saintonan posted:

It has been for decades, at least. The cover story was about Jesus for at least twice a year dating back to the early 2000s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

1glitch0 posted:

It has been for decades, at least. The cover story was about Jesus for at least twice a year dating back to the early 2000s.

On... Christmas and Easter?