Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

emdash posted:

one of those Logitech Marathon things that goes up to 3 years on two AAs, probably https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/m705

little expensive for a mom mouse, i guess

It's on amazon for half that price, that should be fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-M705-Wireless-Marathon-Mouse/dp/B003TG75EG/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

taqueso posted:

My mom currently uses a little Microsoft wireless mouse that takes AA batteries. She's complaining that it eats batteries a lot quicker than it once did. What should I recommend for her? Something that can USB charge would probably be OK, AAs would be fine too as long as they last for more than a month.

The MX Anywhere 2S is pretty amazing and lasts very long on a single charge - not cheap, though.

The M585/M590 are good as well & pretty cheap.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

I was just talking to someone that bought a new mouse but didn't like how light it was

Heresy

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Anyone have much experience paracording mice? The cord on my the mouse I ordered is rubber which might cause some issues. It's also a Kone, and I think they might have a non-standard pin layout for the connection and I'm wondering if there's a way to deal with that other than having to bust out the soldering iron... But I might be getting ahead of myself and it'll be fine with the advanced high quality mouse bungee that is a bit of stickytape on the back of the monitor.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neurosis posted:

Anyone have much experience paracording mice? The cord on my the mouse I ordered is rubber which might cause some issues. It's also a Kone, and I think they might have a non-standard pin layout for the connection and I'm wondering if there's a way to deal with that other than having to bust out the soldering iron... But I might be getting ahead of myself and it'll be fine with the advanced high quality mouse bungee that is a bit of stickytape on the back of the monitor.

it looks like no big deal that people have successfully done before. You could buy the cord ready to plug in.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/261-artisan-sales-forum/1621381-paracord-mice-cable-made-ceesa.html
https://www.reddit.com/r/MouseReview/comments/8yzwsx/kone_pure_owl_eye_before_after_ceesa_paracord/

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

I think you have to change the pin layout for the connector on the Kones Pures. You might be able to buy a type of cord that has the appropriate pin layout already but I'm not sure. I'd be comfortable enough just taking the shell off and plugging in a new cord but I'm a lot more hesitant about changing the pin arrangement. At any rate, it seems like the rubber cable is decent enough despite its material that keeping it sticky-taped to the monitor is sufficient to stop any noticeable drag so it won't be necessary to do install a paracord. Some of them do look nice as a way to complement the rest of your setup and they aren't that expensive so maybe one day.

Also, Pure Ultra was initially weird but has become extremely good. Build quality is on a par with Logitech - nothing loose or rattling, mouse wheel feels extremely viscerally pleasing, has a nice finish. It has an aggressive ergo shape, quite different from the most common ergo shape which was inspired by the IntelliMouse, so it's not for everyone. Angling my thumb right took a few hours to adjust to so that I wasn't holding the mouse at 45 degrees to the front of my mousepad or something stupid, but unlike trying to get used to the model O- my fingers weren't in pain during the period of adjustment. The 66g weight without looking like Swiss cheese or having lots of parts that feel flimsy is really impressive. I hope Logitech are putting their minds to lightweight mice, it'd be nice to have another mouse of this variety with a premium feel and I imagine they'll come up with a lot of refinements.

Speaking of the Glorious mice, model Ds are up for pre-order now. From their other products I assume they'll do the same thing as Xtrfy and G-Wolf in terms of general shape and feel but with some improvements. The O- was certainly a decent mouse (some slight problems in build quality like side-button pre-travel) and the only reason I didn't like it was the shape, so if I hadn't just gotten the Kone I'd be looking forward to a D-.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 16, 2019

ItasteColors
Dec 10, 2016
Once you have left left click, left left left click, right right click and on the fly sensitivity changes, you'll (probably) never go back. Currently rocking a Steelseries Rival 500 ( https://steelseries.com/gaming-mice/rival-500 ) that's been going strong for 3 years.

I love not having to take my fingers off WASD / QWER, and being able to jump from my standard 800 dpi to triple that to pull off flips in flying games is super handy

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

ItasteColors posted:

Once you have left left click, left left left click, right right click and on the fly sensitivity changes, you'll (probably) never go back. Currently rocking a Steelseries Rival 500 ( https://steelseries.com/gaming-mice/rival-500 ) that's been going strong for 3 years.

I love not having to take my fingers off WASD / QWER, and being able to jump from my standard 800 dpi to triple that to pull off flips in flying games is super handy

Had my eye on this mouse for a while, but no experience with the software an a hefty price tag has held me back.
How is the steelseries software?
Can you set up multikey delayed macros?
Can you set up loops for autofire/rapid click?
What are the obvious limitations ?
What do you like about it?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Whelp, I bought a $100 dollar mouse. $119 actually - G502 Lightspeed.

Coming from a G502 normal wired pleb version, I'm happy. It's a little heavier, and that is noticeable (surprisingly, to me, as the on-paper specs don't seem like a huge weight increase but you definitely feel it), but it's not something I mind. The scroll wheel is a lot nicer (each tick feels more 'tactile' and the free-spin doesn't spin as long which I also don't mind at all). Having one less wire plugged into my laptop that I move around constantly is a huge plus.

The G502 is a big mouse, and since I don't claw grip but instead rest my palm on the body of the mouse itself, it's great for that. The sniper button is in a perfect place for my thumb which I never use in-game, but use for the DPI shift in photoshop when masking out hair and poo poo* for work.

Otherwise, it's pretty much the same thing as far as I can tell. I cannot feel any latency at all with the wireless connection which is great. The last time I tried a wireless mouse for multiplayer FPS gaming was, like, 10 years ago and it left me with very bad memories, but this mouse feels indistinguishable from a wired. Worth it, wired version goes into the drawer as a spare.

*metaphorical

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

It seems like USB A is going the way of the dodo. To free up space on my laptops ports I was considering bluetooth. My only concern is if it a big hassle to connect each time. I thought I'd ask for some first hand opinions here before pulling the trigger come Black Friday. (The logitech triathlon looks like a good successor to my ancient m510.)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Tuxedo Ted posted:

It seems like USB A is going the way of the dodo. To free up space on my laptops ports I was considering bluetooth. My only concern is if it a big hassle to connect each time. I thought I'd ask for some first hand opinions here before pulling the trigger come Black Friday. (The logitech triathlon looks like a good successor to my ancient m510.)

Once you pair the mouse and the laptop there's no hassle connecting it, it will just find it and start working as windows is loading up.

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

Neurosis posted:

I did a G403 Paracord mod and the company I ordered from had a field to specify the mouse, maybe to preinstall any custom connectors when ordering along with a YouTube video walking through the process. I recommend having extra mouse feet on hand since you'll probably have to peel them back to access all the screws.

I'd contact the company you are buying from and ask to be safe. The mod was absolutely worth it combined with hyperglides for new feet.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

GuyonthecoucH posted:

I did a G403 Paracord mod and the company I ordered from had a field to specify the mouse, maybe to preinstall any custom connectors when ordering along with a YouTube video walking through the process. I recommend having extra mouse feet on hand since you'll probably have to peel them back to access all the screws.

I'd contact the company you are buying from and ask to be safe. The mod was absolutely worth it combined with hyperglides for new feet.

Thanks - I'll have a look around when I eventually get to paracording. For now the tape on the back of the monitor makes the rubber innocuous enough.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I think my replacement G703 is starting to have its RMB fail just like the original one did.... :sigh:

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

So I'm looking at a Swiftpoint Z again. Lots of fancy features I'd like to try. $150. That's juuuust low enough for me to blow some of my fun money on it, but it's still kind of a lot.

Anything people here have to say to talk me out of it? :v: I could go for something cheaper that has lots of buttons like an MMO mouse; I wonder if I can return the Swiftpoint if I decide it's not for me.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its stupid and reflects poorly on you. Not like my $99 mouse covered in rainbow lights.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Appoda posted:

So I'm looking at a Swiftpoint Z again. Lots of fancy features I'd like to try. $150. That's juuuust low enough for me to blow some of my fun money on it, but it's still kind of a lot.

Anything people here have to say to talk me out of it? :v: I could go for something cheaper that has lots of buttons like an MMO mouse; I wonder if I can return the Swiftpoint if I decide it's not for me.

I'm kicking myself because it went down to $100 for a week or two last August and I didn't realize the price was going to get jacked up and stay high since then. That's still a lot, $150 moreso, for an "off-brand" mouse of questionable durability (even Logitech, for comparison, can't sell high-end mice without failing switches.) I'd wait until the price drops before considering it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

This thread just isn't equipped to deal with "Should I buy a $150 mouse?"

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

mods please we need to peg this thread to inflation

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Back in my day mice came with the computer for free! They had balls we had to clean the grime out of and we liked it that way!
:cloud:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Appoda posted:

It's hideous and shape wise looks like an uglier G502/Razer Basilisk (a cheap and a pricey version of the Basilisk were just released). Probably has some additional features in there which are enabled by that ugliness... It's heavy too but not grotesquely so. But if looks don't bother you, w/e.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 2, 2019

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Rexxed posted:

Back in my day mice came with the computer for free! They had balls we had to clean the grime out of and we liked it that way!
:cloud:

It was the gunk on the rollers that was the problem, the balls were always fine. :colbert:

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Neurosis posted:

It's hideous and shape wise looks like an uglier G502/Razer Basilisk (a cheap and a pricey version of the Basilisk were just released). Probably has some additional features in there which are enabled by that ugliness... It's heavy too but not grotesquely so. But if looks don't bother you, w/e.

All gaming mice look monstrous to me, or at least the ones that have the number of buttons I want.

What was that one that looked like a giant green spider with its legs out?

E: nvm found it

Appoda fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 2, 2019

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Appoda posted:

This mouse seems insanely over the top and you should 100% get it. It’s not like most $100 mice are really, truly, functionally different from $40 mice with the same sensor and unlike those mice this does seem like it’s offering legitimately new and possibly useful features.

(Also given that many people here, e.g. me, also have gotten those expensive mice which probably seem the exact same as cheaper mice to many normal people this may be the wrong place to ask)

E: if you just want something practical with lots of buttons for macros though, then yeah, you could get something for way less.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Shrug! Might as well try it out and see if it works for me. Part of me is hoping for a price drop, but it seems pretty resilient. I doubt a whole lot of them got made.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I ordered a G Pro Wireless from Logitech direct with the BF deal. :toot:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Appoda posted:

All gaming mice look monstrous to me, or at least the ones that have the number of buttons I want.

What was that one that looked like a giant green spider with its legs out?

E: nvm found it

Ahhhh the rat - a running joke now.

There are few gaming mice that are that hideous - some of the Logitech ones are pretty er... 'Busy' looking, but their most popular gaming mice (among hardcore nerds anyway) - the G Pro Wireless - is pretty simple looking:

The current fad are ugly for different reasons (here's a variety of popular ones, currently):

image hosting

I'm using a Kone Pure Ultra which I actually think looks pretty elegant (if you leave the LED on a fairly mild colour, anyway... And turn the brightness down, because the LED burns with the power of a thousand suns):

(The one on the left.)

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

G Pro wireless is really good on most fronts ya. Probably not what you want if you need more buttons than a standard mouse tho. And the price is very high. That it looks simple is a nice plus.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Apparently the new razer viper ultimate has dethroned the g pro wireless... I have ordered one but I can't get a sure date from my supplier when it's arriving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=How21lqrVmw

Miguel Prado fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 3, 2019

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Those optical switches do look pretty neat, I wonder when we'll start seeing them on other mice.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Mindblast posted:

G Pro wireless is really good on most fronts ya. Probably not what you want if you need more buttons than a standard mouse tho. And the price is very high. That it looks simple is a nice plus.

There's always the g305 but this isn't the "Should I buy a $40 mouse?" thread :v:

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Arzachel posted:

There's always the g305 but this isn't the "Should I buy a $40 mouse?" thread :v:

If it was the answer would always be "yes!"

Dang that's a great mouse

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Miguel Prado posted:

Apparently the new razer viper ultimate has dethroned the g pro wireless... I have ordered one but I can't get a sure date from my supplier when it's arriving.

I cant clean my viper well so i stopped using it and went back to the g pro. The viper has rubber pads on the sides that will hold dead skin slime and eventually need to be replaced. With the g pro I just turn it off and then wipe it really hard with my shirt and its spotless. For a sweaty goon g pro wins.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Trying to get rid of some old stuff, anyone interested in any of these? I'll send for cost of shipping.

Top to botton:
Microsoft IntelliMouse Serial and PS2 Compatible 63618-577 (cord is PS2, if there is an adapter to serial I probably don't have it)
Dell marked on the top, logitech marks on the back; 851841-1000
Microsoft Home Mouse Serial 61402 (serial only but it looks good imo, love those angled button tops)

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Miguel Prado posted:

Yeah like I'm going to take mouse advice from someone not using a SteelSeries SX (the best mouse pad).

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 3, 2019

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Swiftpoint z good. Mine has been going strong for over a year. Really good macro features and fun ways to use the mouse, like tilt, which I thought was originally a gimmick. I mean I think that now, too but I've used it some and it's pretty cool.

I really like light vs heavy press on the same keys. That is something more companies need to incorporate.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Yup, I bit down and it'll be here Friday. Can't wait to know what a $150 click feels like!

Speaking of grips and goonsweat, does anyone have experience using grip tape for adding texture back to well-used mice? I was thinking about that and potentially doing the same for keycaps for esoteric reasons that make sense in my head.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Duck and Cover posted:

Yeah like I'm going to take mouse advice from someone not using a SteelSeries SX (the best mouse pad).

There are a lot of good mousepads... Seems like durability and ease of maintenance are the biggest thing to separate the top dozen or so. And speed but that's more a preference thing. The xl ones big enough for mouse and keyboard also look good with a lot of setups.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Man, I would've bought that high-end (left-handed) MX-Revolution/G-15 combo that had the left-handed version of the mouse if I had known no one would ever make a good and not-goofy-looking left-handed mouse ever again. 2019 and I still can't get my brother a nice mouse for Christmas (he does like to use the mouse left-handed often, but can use it right-handed).
Anyone remember that combo? I could swear it existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Appoda posted:

Yup, I bit down and it'll be here Friday. Can't wait to know what a $150 click feels like!

Speaking of grips and goonsweat, does anyone have experience using grip tape for adding texture back to well-used mice? I was thinking about that and potentially doing the same for keycaps for esoteric reasons that make sense in my head.

If you have really dry hands, maybe; if you have sweaty hands the sweat is just going to soak through the grip tape and loosen the adhesive and leave you with a sticky, sweaty mess