Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I was actually just asking about resin printers in the 3D printer thread. Anyone have any big opinions on the Photon versus the Mars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
oh man, I legit want those old RT termies, they look so rad. I'm doing an all primaris themed crimson fists army but I would 10000% make an exception to include those badasses in it!!!

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

grassy gnoll posted:

I was actually just asking about resin printers in the 3D printer thread. Anyone have any big opinions on the Photon versus the Mars?

So Photon is trying to go to some proprietary file format / software. Mars supports standard file formats and Chitubox. Ifi was buying today I'd get a Mars.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Anyone find any good black Friday mini/terrain deals?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Pastry Mistakes posted:

Mantic's got a $50 deal with 50 zombies and a bunch of post-apoc terrain, if that's your thing.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Pastry Mistakes posted:

Sci Fi terrain:

Cat Face Joe posted:

Warsen.al 30% off with code TAKETHEBLACK

Broken Token 25ish% off.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anyone have any lightbox recommendations? I keep meaning to buy one but there are so many identical looking ones out there...

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Printing is so dope. Do any of you rascals make your own files or just get from elsewhere?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Pastry Mistakes posted:

Secret Weapon Miniatures has a sale going on. They've got some terrain pieces, but I don't know much about them. I was actually going to ask if Secret Weapon was worth checking out, as I wanted to buy some of their bases.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 30, 2019

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

jassi007 posted:

So Photon is trying to go to some proprietary file format / software. Mars supports standard file formats and Chitubox. Ifi was buying today I'd get a Mars.

That's just the Photon S that has weird compatibility.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Any good paint suppliers having sales this weekend? I'm looking for GW paints or Vallejo (sp), also brushes.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

darnon posted:

That's just the Photon S that has weird compatibility.

Check the Photon subreddit and FB groups they claim any cubic is stsrti9to do this with the base model photons also

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Well took advantage of the holiday to paint up that 5 man Deathwatch Kill team for kill team the full gallery is here but here is a pic of each team member:

This is Jago Hagen, Imperial Fists Sergeant. I went with the bearded head because of Dorn on Text to Speech.

Syras Torvaec Raven Guard Vet

Rafe Black Shield with a black shield

Gak'lyr Rhoshan Salamander with an Infernus.

Azkarael Kaelon with a Frag Cannon

This was my first time painting black armor, and I was not a big fan of it. I'm not that good at doing the edge highlighting, so it came out really messy, though I guess if I did more practice I could get better. Granted with the solid black and simpler model they took a lot less time to paint than my Word Bearers took. That said, I don't like working with black armor. If I do any more loyalist marines, I'll probably stay clear of more Deathwatch.

I did take some of the criticizm on bases this time, and I used PVA glue and sand, then painted the sand brown. It looks MUCH better than my Word Bearer bases and was super easy to do.

Feedback is welcome. This is really only the third set of minis I've painted, so I know I need more improvement.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Printing is so dope. Do any of you rascals make your own files or just get from elsewhere?

I’m starting to dabble in design. I made some recon armor lightning claws because they don’t have models for 30k yet.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3976407

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Werix posted:

Well took advantage of the holiday to paint up that 5 man Deathwatch Kill team for kill team the full gallery is here but here is a pic of each team member:

This is Jago Hagen, Imperial Fists Sergeant. I went with the bearded head because of Dorn on Text to Speech.

Syras Torvaec Raven Guard Vet

Rafe Black Shield with a black shield

Gak'lyr Rhoshan Salamander with an Infernus.

Azkarael Kaelon with a Frag Cannon

This was my first time painting black armor, and I was not a big fan of it. I'm not that good at doing the edge highlighting, so it came out really messy, though I guess if I did more practice I could get better. Granted with the solid black and simpler model they took a lot less time to paint than my Word Bearers took. That said, I don't like working with black armor. If I do any more loyalist marines, I'll probably stay clear of more Deathwatch.

I did take some of the criticizm on bases this time, and I used PVA glue and sand, then painted the sand brown. It looks MUCH better than my Word Bearer bases and was super easy to do.

Feedback is welcome. This is really only the third set of minis I've painted, so I know I need more improvement.

For your third set, it's really good. My advice would be to make/use a wet palette to help keeping your paints the right consistency so you get lovely smooth coverage. If you work off that instead of out of the pot and trying to thin the entire amount, you'll find it a little easier to get that right consistency. Black armor is pretty intimidating at first, something you can do is make it a little easier to paint by not using a true black, but adding a little dark blue into it so it's not just a blob of blackness. Unfortunately with black armor it ALSO means you'll have to do edge highlighting which is kind of a complete pain in the rear end.
I use a pair of magnifiers to make painting these tiny hams easier, and it's one of the best things I've done for myself.
Keep at it, remember you can always strip and restart if you just get too frustrated with the product!

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Finally finished my Warcry starter box terrain. Super happy with it!

tehsid fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 1, 2019

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
What do y'all use to strip minis? My white basecoat went on badly and I want to start over. Dettol seems to be a popular method but my friends swears by using acetone-free nail polish remover. These are Blackstone Fortress minis so they'd be hella expensive to replace if I Nurgle them by leaving them in too long.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Dr Snofeld posted:

What do y'all use to strip minis? My white basecoat went on badly and I want to start over. Dettol seems to be a popular method but my friends swears by using acetone-free nail polish remover. These are Blackstone Fortress minis so they'd be hella expensive to replace if I Nurgle them by leaving them in too long.

If you're not in the US, Biostrip is the way to go, if you ARE in the US, simple green is pretty decent.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

If you're not in the US, Biostrip is the way to go, if you ARE in the US, simple green is pretty decent.

I'll give Biostrip a try, since it seems like it's safe to let GW plastic soak in that a while. I have an old test space marine sitting around (from the Contrast paint launch, I painted it in the shop as a free demo model) that I can try stripping first to see how it goes.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've had luck with Super Clean in the US. (It's sold in Walmart and comes in a blue jug.)

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Dr Snofeld posted:

Super Clean is a solid choice for paint stripping. If you can find it, Dawn Power Dissolver will strip the grease off an engine block and make it look clean as a whistle.

Barring that, 90%+ isopropyl alcohol can also strip paint off, and for cheap too. You want to get higher than 90%, like a 95 or 99. I've never found anything higher than 90% in my local stores, but maybe you'll have better luck. Even then, I think 90% will do the job.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Speaking of Blackstone Fortress, I've been following along with a tutorial series on Youtube. I only have the Ur-Ghuls done so far but I'm pretty pleased with them. Spindle drones are next.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Slimnoid posted:

Super Clean is a solid choice for paint stripping. If you can find it, Dawn Power Dissolver will strip the grease off an engine block and make it look clean as a whistle.

Barring that, 90%+ isopropyl alcohol can also strip paint off, and for cheap too. You want to get higher than 90%, like a 95 or 99. I've never found anything higher than 90% in my local stores, but maybe you'll have better luck. Even then, I think 90% will do the job.

90% hasn't worked for me in the past, but 99% is great and what I use when I have to strip something

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Dr Snofeld posted:

I'm in the UK, so a lot of the common recommendations for paint stripping arent available (if you google it you get a lot of recommendations for US brand names). I tried dettol and it kind of sucks out loud. It has a really strong smell which lingers and while it works, it works super slow. Now I use methylated spirits to strip minis. Cheap, easy to get, not particularly harmful on the skin, and you just dump the minis in a jar, pour meths over them, wait a bit and scrub them with a toothbrush. Smell evaporates quickly too. You can even reuse it multiple times (although I think my current bottle is more or less hitting its reuse limit, its cloudy as hell). I've used it on plastics and never had a problem.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

If you can find Green Pine Soap that works really well as a paint stripper without damaging the model. It takes a while though and might not work 100% all the time. But at least it can be poured into the drain and smells pretty good as well.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Yearly recommendation for BioStrip 20. Its relatively expensive compared to other options but it works perfectly on plastic. If youre stripping an entire army maybe look for alternatives, but I bought a pot a few years ago and I'm still using it.

And I'm in the UK.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Biostrip is absolutely fantastic. If you're in the UK don't mess around with anything else.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Nuclear option for plastic is brake fluid. Wear gloves.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
And each one looking more like my dad than the last

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Painted a few more models from the Sisters of Battle box that came out this weekend

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Two Beans posted:

Nuclear option for plastic is brake fluid. Wear gloves.

Brake fluid will melt the plastic if left there for any prolonged length of time.

It's great for metal though, that'll absolutely strip every last bit of paint off it. But yeah, wear gloves, no one wants nerve damage.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Slimnoid posted:

Brake fluid will melt the plastic if left there for any prolonged length of time.

It's great for metal though, that'll absolutely strip every last bit of paint off it. But yeah, wear gloves, no one wants nerve damage.

They musta changed the formula for citadel plastic since 1999 then, as I used to soak plastics in brake fluid for days/weeks/months without any issue.

For metals, the nuclear option was carburetor cleaner. Definitely *not* for plastics, as it would leave you with a gray blob. Also not for hands.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

N-thing Biostrip 20. It works perfectly. Will require some minor scrubbing with a toothbrush to get the recesses, but better than anything else I've tried. You can leave plastics in it for days/weeks no problem, and works great on metal as well (possibly even better than acetone, which was my usual go-to for metal).

It doesn't smell bad, and as far as I know isn't toxic or harmful.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Warboss progress. Having a lot of fun going hog wild with rust and grime.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

X-poasting from the PP thread, but zenithal priming and contrast paints are my new friends

S.J. posted:

Oh I did a test thing by the way. All contrast paints.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Geisladisk posted:

Warboss progress. Having a lot of fun going hog wild with rust and grime.

That's a nice green

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Literally just a single thick coat of Ork Flesh. Contrast is magic.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Finally got around to painting the Aspiring Champion for my Chaos Marine Havoks. Dude in the middle.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

S.J. posted:

X-poasting from the PP thread, but zenithal priming and contrast paints are my new friends

I just got the three contrast paints I ordered in the mail, now I wanna pick up some of those Wizkids pre-primed D&D minis to experiment on. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I just got the three contrast paints I ordered in the mail, now I wanna pick up some of those Wizkids pre-primed D&D minis to experiment on. :)

Be warned, those things have super shallow details on some of the PC sized figs so don't feel too bad if you can't get much out of them. The larger stuff is pretty nice though imo.

Also, although you can use Contrast paints as a sort of wash/glaze substitute, they do not flow the same or pool the same. I was trying to basically use it as that in a relatively small eye socket area on a fig recently and the stuff was completely useless there - it would either pool way too much on the fig or get almost completely reabsorbed into the brush. It's a great product, but you should watch for stuff like that. And above all, I think - take it slow and be careful. You can get a lot done with one coat of the stuff, but it will stain the poo poo out of anything it touches, so if you're wanting to avoid having to re-paint whites, etc, keep that in mind. And keep a dry brush nearby to absorb any excess Contrast you get into the wrong areas.

Oh, and you don't need to slather it on like a wash. You can use it pretty sparingly.