Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Disnesquick posted:

Why in hell is the Graun falling over itself to apologise for being mean to Cameron?

Because they suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Disnesquick posted:

Why in hell is the Graun falling over itself to apologise for being mean to Cameron?

Haven't all the papers now been bought up by billionaires?

I am liking Novara media at the moment on Twitter.

willie_dee fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 1, 2019

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Compare this to how hosed and dried-out Boris looked on Marr. I think I'll give vegetarianism a go.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

jackhunter64 posted:

Compare this to how hosed and dried-out Boris looked on Marr. I think I'll give vegetarianism a go.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jackhunter64 posted:

Johnson just has a portrait in the attic that keeps getting happier and healthier. Every day he goes upstairs and yells "why don't you look like poo poo?" and collapses in a heap. One day he will ascend the stairs and collapse into a pile of dust and ash. The portrait will be him but African, holding a watermelon and a tiny flag.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Good on Richard Burgon for being the only person to answer "No" when asked if cross-party cooperation was possible.

Whitey Snipes
Nov 30, 2004

Robot Mil posted:

Also it is really hard to predict individual risk. And even if you are really worried about someone, there's not always a lot you can do about it. I imagine there will be a serious further offence case review so it'll be interesting to see what the particular issue was here. Probably a combination of lack of resources to rehabilitate in custody and offer support/monitoring in the community.

100% there's going to be an SFO review and, given the circumstances, it'll probably end up overtaking Leroy Campbell as the review to beat all new trainees over the head with.

You're right about it being very hard to predict individual risk though, for all we know he could have been assessed as Very High RoSH and subject to MAPPA L3 but there's only so many restrictive measures you can put in place - I'm curious whether he was on a GPS tag which would have been managed by a Police Offender Manager or a standard curfew tag which would have been EMS. Either way, given how supervision works, there's only so much a Probation Officer can do really.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Drone_Fragger posted:

Something something “gradually moving the Overton window for medium/high risk prisoners upwards as the amount of funding (and hence prisoners that can be probated by them) the national probation service gets decreases”

One of the first people to tackle the London bridge attacker was a convicted murderer on day release. This is how things are now.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
convinced my mum to join the labour party, so my immediate family is 4 for 4

also possibly managed to convince my friend to vote labour at the pub last night, he's a teacher who recognises that the Tories have ruined the education system but also doesn't like Jeremy Corbyn for reasons he couldn't really articulate (suspect it has something to do with him being a bit of a melt because of his Brexiter/Tory parents)

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Burgon getting laughed at there over the Welsh NHS. Why is the NHS in Wales worse than in Scotland? He didn't get a chance to reply

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Lady Demelza posted:

He's not bad, but I felt she was better.

They're all a bit of a charisma-vacuum.

TBH this is fine. Burgon is just staying on message and filling his time pretty well. Let one of the other plonkers drop a clanger for the Monday headlines. Labour just need to coast and keep the ground game going until Trump's visit on Tuesday then we can enjoy the fireworks as he and Joris get caught on 20 camera phones doing something unspeakable that the BBC fall over themselves to spin. This should be a good week with little effort from Labour.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Corbyn chips chat: wondering if this is a 'gotcha' for Johnson claiming he liked eating fish n chips on the beach in winter?

Anti-semitism chat:

Just downloaded this wretched report on which some of the recent claims are based.

https://antisemitism.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Antisemitism-Barometer-2019.pdf

OK I haven't read it in depth but paging through the first 25 pages and skimming the rest, it looks to me that they have defined anti-zionism as anti-semitism. Nowhere do they seem to describe how they identified 'far-left' nor indeed what proportion of the sample were deemed as far-left.

(Am aware that the Campaign Against Anti-semitism were heavily criticized for flawed research in 2015 by the Institute for Jewish Policy Research).

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Burgon getting laughed at there over the Welsh NHS. Why is the NHS in Wales worse than in Scotland? He didn't get a chance to reply

No he wiffed that one hard. He didn't have anything to say and was grinning in the hope that the moderator would go to someone else, which she didn't.

All he had to do was say "Wales receives less funding from the central government per person that Scotland". :/

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

XMNN posted:

convinced my mum to join the labour party, so my immediate family is 4 for 4

my mum is actually registered and my sis arranged an absentee ballot so that's +2 votes for labour in carlisle over 2017

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

blunt posted:

No he wiffed that one hard. He didn't have anything to say and was grinning in the hope that the moderator would go to someone else, which she didn't.

All he had to do was say "Wales receives less funding from the central government per person that Scotland". :/

it's disappointing

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

blunt posted:

To be fair it wasn't obvious the moderator was going to come back to him, she just allowed silence after Plaid guy finished. A bad moment, but not really his fault.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

blunt posted:

Not quite the case though. Welsh Labour have had the opportunity to introduce Corbyn-esque policies in Wales for two decades, and have consistently chosen not to, or even voted against it when presented by other parties (usually Plaid).

It's not just a case of Westminster budget restraints: Welsh Labour is riddled with Blairite holdouts, and they should cause a lot more embarrassment for Labour than they currently do. So it's pretty damning, really, that Burgon is pretty clueless about what Labour are doing in Wales. They really need to stop taking one of the most Labour-dominant areas of the UK for granted, otherwise this messaging of Price (cartoonish as it often is) will start to cut through.

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 1, 2019

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

The loving nerve of this. "You have to be careful" what the gently caress is with that implied threat? The loving state of the BBC.

Also man I'd like some nice thick cut chips right about now

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

willie_dee posted:

Haven't all the papers now been bought up by billionaires?

I am liking Novara media at the moment on Twitter.
I was trying to find a good link about Labour inheritance tax for facebook, and honestly the Independent was the only one that seemed to even be trying to be neutral about it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-inheritance-tax-cut-john-mcdonnell-threshold-a8981991.html

Labour are looking into lowering the tax free threshold, every other paper is saying that this means you can't give your kids your house.

I mean £125k isn't enough to outright buy a house, but then I guess that's the point - it's enough to get a mortgage and a decent down payment, and inherited wealth is morally wrong.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Price, Berry, and Sturgeon did well there I thought. Farage probably polled well amongst twats. Sunak was poo poo, and was just rattling off scripted moments, he looked completely lost otherwise. Swinson didn't embarrass herself too much, I guess. Burgon had some major ups and downs, I don't think the crowd warmed up to him

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anti-semitism chat:

Just downloaded this wretched report on which some of the recent claims are based.

https://antisemitism.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Antisemitism-Barometer-2019.pdf

OK I haven't read it in depth but paging through the first 25 pages and skimming the rest, it looks to me that they have defined anti-zionism as anti-semitism. Nowhere do they seem to describe how they identified 'far-left' nor indeed what proportion of the sample were deemed as far-left.

(Am aware that the Campaign Against Anti-semitism were heavily criticized for flawed research in 2015 by the Institute for Jewish Policy Research).

If you want an excellent rebuttal, this has been floating around on twitter lately

https://www.jewishvoiceforlabour.org.uk/article/smoke-without-fire-the-myth-of-a-labour-antisemitism-crisis/

quote:

It has been prominently and persistently asserted that there is a ‘crisis’ of antisemitism in the Labour Party. The charge-sheet comprises three main allegations: that antisemitism in Labour is widespread, that it has become institutionalised, and that elected party leader Jeremy Corbyn is himself an antisemite.

This last claim—a recent invention even in the context of the ‘Labour antisemitism’ campaign—is the most tenuous, flying as it does in the face of Corbyn’s entire documented political career. From April 1977, when he helped organise the defence of Jewish-populated Wood Green from a National Front rally;[1] to the 1980s, when he headed Anti-Fascist Action and was arrested protesting apartheid in South Africa;[2] to June 2015, when he worked with antifascists to prevent a neo-Nazi march on Golders Green;[3] to his first day as Labour Party leader, when he spoke at a demonstration in support of refugees[4]—throughout his political life, Jeremy Corbyn has been a dedicated and principled anti-racist campaigner.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

jabby posted:

To be fair it wasn't obvious the moderator was going to come back to him, she just allowed silence after Plaid guy finished. A bad moment, but not really his fault.

Moderator was dogshit she was cutting off Captain Plaid as he started to respond after Burgon then let him power through her, leaving Burgon in no man's land. To be honest I don't think he's the best Labour have by a long shot but I understand that they will want to keep and future JC successors out of the firing line.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I was trying to find a good link about Labour inheritance tax for facebook, and honestly the Independent was the only one that seemed to even be trying to be neutral about it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-inheritance-tax-cut-john-mcdonnell-threshold-a8981991.html

Labour are looking into lowering the tax free threshold, every other paper is saying that this means you can't give your kids your house.

I mean £125k isn't enough to outright buy a house, but then I guess that's the point - it's enough to get a mortgage and a decent down payment, and inherited wealth is morally wrong.

Did you see RockyB's effort post on dividends too?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3902705&pagenumber=416&perpage=40#post500421124

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
Momentum have created a campaign-diary-action-planning thing to help people organize themselves and spread word about what they're planning to do on social media for the last 12 days of the campaign

https://www.myplantowin2019.com/

might be useful for people who are getting out there a bunch or really active on social media!

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Agreed but the public are not ready to hear that yet, its an election loser.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
youve got to be kidding me

https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/complaints/make-a-complaint/#/Complaint

what the hell is that doing there

leads to https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/andrew-marr-notification/#/Notification

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Answers Me posted:

Not quite the case though. Welsh Labour have had the opportunity to introduce Corbyn-esque policies in Wales for two decades, and have consistently chosen not to, or even voted against it when presented by other parties (usually Plaid).

It's not just a case of Westminster budget restraints: Welsh Labour is riddled with Blairite holdouts, and they should cause a lot more embarrassment for Labour than they currently do. So it's pretty damning, really, that Burgon is pretty clueless about what Labour are doing in Wales. They really need to stop taking one of the most Labour-dominant areas of the UK for granted, otherwise this messaging of Price (cartoonish as it often is) will start to cut through.

One of Scottish Labour's many problems was all the talented candidates wanting to go to Westminster so the labour party in the Scottish parliament was full of mediocrities, I assume it's the same way in the Welsh Assembly?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Have they ever done that before? Like, after every QT?

If not it's just absurdly blatant.

stev fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 1, 2019

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Answers Me posted:

Yeah Welsh Labour aren't quite scot lab bad but they are on that spectrum and are constantly at risk of being overtaken. I think Burgon's lack of knowledge was symptomatic of a lack of understanding about Welsh politics in the party at large.

e: I think Burgon is consistently disapointing and they should have either put RLB up again or maybe Dawn Butler or Angela Rayner.

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 1, 2019

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I did, but I'm ashamed to admit that it went over my head completely. I have no idea about higher finance or the kind of saving schemes that seem like everyday business for the likes of the /r/personalfinance subreddit. I don't even know what dividends are. Sort of all comes across to me as complicated tricks that the rich use to keep themselves rich, and it all kicks along fine as long as nobody tells the proles about it.

I was looking for it in response to an uncle on FB who posted a Metro article. Primarily the attack line the papers are taking is that Labour WILL rob your kids of your house, but looking at the quotes involved McDonnell says he is interested by the idea, they are consulting on it and trying to work out how to implement it fairly, and a Labour spokesman says it's not currently policy.

It seems like he is more interested in the idea of taxing per recipient instead of the current system of taxing the deceased's estate (which fucks over anyone with more than one child / beneficiary).

willie_dee posted:

Agreed but the public are not ready to hear that yet, its an election loser.
It's not great, but it's the £125k figure that seems to be the problem. He could at least have said 'linked to the housing index' which reassures the public, while secretly the 'link' is that it's half and you can all gently caress off with your free McMansions.

Man I wish the public understood politics.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 1, 2019

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

marktheando posted:

One of Scottish Labour's many problems was all the talented candidates wanting to go to Westminster so the labour party in the Scottish parliament was full of mediocrities, I assume it's the same way in the Welsh Assembly?

Possibly, but almost all of the Welsh Labour MPs in Westminster are melty centrist dickheads too, so who knows...

Another theory I often see is that Labour are so dominant in Wales they attract all the career politicians regardless of political principles (or lack thereof). Labour are the establishment, essentially, in what's a one-party 'state' and not the good kind

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Pochoclo posted:

The loving nerve of this. "You have to be careful" what the gently caress is with that implied threat? The loving state of the BBC.

Also man I'd like some nice thick cut chips right about now

gently caress that wanker

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Answers Me posted:

Possibly, but almost all of the Welsh Labour MPs in Westminster are melty centrist dickheads too, so who knows...

Another theory I often see is that Labour are so dominant in Wales they attract all the career politicians regardless of political principles (or lack thereof). Labour are the establishment, essentially, in what's a one-party 'state' and not the good kind

Yeah the party in Wales is not very democratic. From experience a lot of people get in just because they have the right connections rather than an involvement/commitment to the party. It really fuels the careerism and nepotism of the welsh system.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Answers Me posted:

Yeah was the same in Scotland until they got wiped out in 2015. A lot of Blairites who felt entitled to their safe seats.

The Scottish party, unlike in England with Corbyn, doesn't really seem to have moved on much since then. I think Blairites are incapable of learning their lesson about taking their base for granted, since it's a fundamental part of their political philosophy.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

stev posted:

Have they ever done that before? LIKE, after every QT?

If not it's just absurdly blatant.

appears they do it whenever they get a high volume of complaints for a specific thing

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Cefte posted:

Hizballah is a standard transliteration for UK / US governments, probably continuing a chain from Hans Wehr, e.g. here. It's also the preference of a lot of angry online Salafis, and I remember (but can't find, for some reason) reading a long diatribe on 'objectively correct' transliteration, e.g. doubling of Arabic long vowels and complete rigidity in vowel choice by one of the same.

Dialectical and transliteration differences are a morass in Arabic, and not really conducive to rules of thumb such as what I quote above.

poo poo like 'Mohammadean' is another level of fuckery entirely, and deliberately perjorative.
Yeah, "some dipshit online" was terrible phrasing cause it makes it sound like I was vaguely gesturing at a poorly defined crowd but I specifically meant the kind of dipshit who warns about the dangers of Islam. I don't dispute that it's a correct usage, I dispute that some eejit using it in a rant about Corbyn is doing so out of a desire to be correct :v:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

what are people saying in response to Labour cutting the married couples' allowance? The whole "nobody earning under 80k will pay any more tax" line is really powerful, so anything that contradicts it ends up being just as powerful as a result. When a lot of people think they're gonna be worse off by specific amount it kinda rings hollow

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Right-wing viewers aren't used to their man being treated in a non-deferential way by interviewers/commentators, therefore even mildly robust questioning or scrutiny is completely new to them and must be evidence of FANATIC LEFT WING BBC BIAS

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Also screeching about bias is proven to work for the right wing as a tactic for influencing media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I did, but I'm ashamed to admit that it went over my head completely. I have no idea about higher finance or the kind of saving schemes that seem like everyday business for the likes of the /r/personalfinance subreddit. I don't even know what dividends are. Sort of all comes across to me as complicated tricks that the rich use to keep themselves rich, and it all kicks along fine as long as nobody tells the proles about it.

The one liner of the dividends thing, which I think is shamefully under-explained by the current Labour campaign:

Labour will equalise tax treatment for income, dividends and capital gains across the board. This will affect some who are on lower incomes, but the overwhelming majority of the changes will fall on the richest in society. Finally, we'll have a truly level playing field.

Labour really shouldn't have gone with '<80k income and you're fine', there isn't enough nuance in the conversation for that not to come across as disingenuous or the Tories to deliberately misinterpret it. They also do a pretty crap job of dissociating themselves from Labour under Blair. You never hear someone come out and say in an interview "We're actually left wing now". Which when the loving conservatives are trying to sell themselves as a clean brush government after three terms ...

I'm trying to find that Ash Sarkar 'And then I was pregnant' tweet in response to a picture of a smouldering McDonnell.

Pound_Coin posted:

We regret to inform you that next weeks gogglebox is cancelled

:argh: You actually made me go check. It's still on for Friday. Be interesting to see if the #MarrCrash is covered or if they dedicate all their politics time to letting people slag off Jihadi virus Farage.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 1, 2019