Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

"I don't care if you never forgive me, all I want to do is make up for my mistakes and become a better person."

I like that mindset because people aren't going to forget he was a piece of poo poo

Yes, it puts the impetus to change on him, not the people who suffered because of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Wow. Looks like Endeavor took the Teal'c lecture to heart.

(For reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTzuxhOh80M )

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Raposa posted:

Do yall think his new name will be Best Explodist or Best Exploder?

Kacchan.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Rhonne posted:

Kacchan.

As good as Dyna Might is I feel like it's gotta be this.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Kacchan becomes the pro-democracy hero, Baku-Go To The Polls!

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Ground Zero. Not my personal speculation, but one I agree with.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

SKULL.GIF posted:

It was in one of the Jojo threads as I recall where a woman was doing a very lengthy and comprehensive analysis of Dragon Ball and how it compares and contrasted to Araki's art. Is that what you're thinking of?

For those who didn't read it, here you go!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

When Deku asked Kacchan if his hero name was Bakugou, was that the first time Deku said his real name in the entire series?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Yeah, doesn't Bakugou's actual name already mean something like "explosion victory"? Probably one of those times where you could actually get away with just having your own name if true.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Nephthys posted:

Yeah, doesn't Bakugou's actual name already mean something like "explosion victory"? Probably one of those times where you could actually get away with just having your own name if true.

A grand comic book tradition

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The whole joke about the name "King Explosion Murder" is that it has the same kanji as his real name.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Horikoshi has an incredibly strong pun game.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

PMush Perfect posted:

Horikoshi has an incredibly strong pun game.

My favorite is Hanta Sero. It's a pun on "セロハンテープ" (serohantēpu) meaning "cellophane tape".

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Uraraka means "wonderful day", and Ochako is "tea child", but also suggests the onomatopoea for cute meaningless chatter between girls (pecha kucha)

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Adder Moray posted:

Ground Zero. Not my personal speculation, but one I agree with.

Isn't that from early concept art of the character?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Let’s all appreciate Tetsu Tetsu Tetsu Tetsu

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Official translation.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Fantastic moment in Endeavor's arc.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Alright, that translation clarifies something:

"I might as well have killed him myself!" referring to Toya.

So, Endeavor didn't literally, like, blast him with fire or something like that, but he still feels like what he did led to it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Geez. Worrying about rescuing his son making Natsuo feel obligated to forgive him. That's a lot of baggage to deal with in a hostage situation.

I love how Ending is all "Noooo, stop not being an rear end in a top hat. You're ruining my fantasies! :cry:"

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 1, 2019

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

As I suspected, the official translation cleared up a *lot* of the confusion I initially had reading the chapter, particularly the reason for Endeavor pausing, and the text surrounding Natsuo talking about Toya and his reactions to Endeavor.

Here's the translator notes:

https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1201247542651965440

Also, I feel kinda like Endeavor is being set up to be killed off soon here. Just narratively speaking, a 1-2 punch of losing the #1 immediately after losing All Might would basically shatter Hero Society along with Best Jeanist vanishing from public view, and on top of that Endeavor working to restore the Todoroki family explicitly without himself in it seems like a setup for a Dabi vs. Endeavor fight where Enji deliberately takes a dive rather than harm Toya. Am I speculating too heavily here or do others see what I'm seeing?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It certainly seems ripe for a big two-panel stinger in the next couple of years where Dabi says "I forgive you." before burning Enji to death.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Kylo Ren killing Han Solo, only it's Dabi killing Endeavor.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Kylo Ren killing Han Solo, only it's Dabi killing Endeavor.
Madman might do it.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

ATP_Power posted:

Isn't that from early concept art of the character?
That and it's also what they're calling the site of All Might's last fight in Kamino

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Junpei posted:

Alright, that translation clarifies something:

"I might as well have killed him myself!" referring to Toya.

So, Endeavor didn't literally, like, blast him with fire or something like that, but he still feels like what he did led to it.
I only read the official release nowadays and this made me look up the scans and holy poo poo they really did just write out "I killed him." I can't see the Japanese to see it it was an easy mistake or not but that is a hell of a thing to gently caress up.

Now I just worry that that panel is gonna spread and people are gonna argue back and forth about it like the Venom Chainsaw days.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I only read the official release nowadays and this made me look up the scans and holy poo poo they really did just write out "I killed him." I can't see the Japanese to see it it was an easy mistake or not but that is a hell of a thing to gently caress up.

Now I just worry that that panel is gonna spread and people are gonna argue back and forth about it like the Venom Chainsaw days.

I've seen the exact same thing in so many series that I have to guess it's an extremely easy mistake and Endeavour did in fact outright state that he killed him. However, he didn't mean it literally, this is just a turn of phrase that should not be directly translated but the idea of localization is not one many fan translations are interested in.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Blaze Dragon posted:

I've seen the exact same thing in so many series that I have to guess it's an extremely easy mistake and Endeavour did in fact outright state that he killed him. However, he didn't mean it literally, this is just a turn of phrase that should not be directly translated but the idea of localization is not one many fan translations are interested in.

A fan translation of a recent One Punch Man chapter had the phrase “I’m tone-deaf with directions” and then complained about Viz’s translations. I’m starting to think that the opinions of fan-translators are kinda bad

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
This last chapter has basically convinced me not to read the fan translations anymore because I'm pretty sure they're diminishing my enjoyment of the series and waiting a couple extra days really isn't a huge deal.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'd say there's exactly one panel I like in the fan translations more this time (road guy still yelling "KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME"), and that's been a common trend.

Edit: A thought: The reason most fan translators are so mediocre is because the good ones do it for money.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Most fan translations anymore for Jump at least aren't translated from Japanese but rather from Korean or Chinese so I think that could be part of it too.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think the only fan translation groups I really have a high regard for any more are the ones who do subs for live action TV. OZC-Live and OverTime for Kamen Rider, etc. They cover a niche that doesn't really have any official stuff, and always immediately pull whatever does get a legal/official translation. Of course, even that group has stinkers, so it's far from a hard rule. (Looking at you, TVNihon.)

Edit: Hell, Over-Time got a direct shoutout in Chroma Squad. (One of the more reasonable groups of fans who contact with you are called Working Overtime.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 3, 2019

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Shere posted:

This last chapter has basically convinced me not to read the fan translations anymore because I'm pretty sure they're diminishing my enjoyment of the series and waiting a couple extra days really isn't a huge deal.
I recently made this jump and haven't regretted it for a second. It means I gotta wait a couple days before coming to these threads once I see the new replies piling up on Friday but it means I get to read the chapter for the first time with clean image quality and an accurate translation instead of reading a messy rough draft first.

I wouldn't want to watch an unedited rough cut of a film before going to see the finished product in theatres, so why do it for manga? Especially now that the latter is free and available everywhere outside of Japan and Korea. Maybe China too.

My sympathies to that one nice Korean poster, sorry I don't look at usernames. :(

EDIT: Yeah I have nothing but respect for Toku fansubbers. They do it because there's literally no other options so you know it's for the love of the product. Scanlators (at least for these major series) do it for clout and ad revenue.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 3, 2019

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

EDIT: Yeah I have nothing but respect for Toku fansubbers. They do it because there's literally no other options so you know it's for the love of the product. Scanlators (at least for these major series) do it for clout and ad revenue.

Ah yes, the wealthiest and most respected part of the comics industry, the scanlators.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I know you're being facetious, but given how much drat work scanlation takes, and how many manga out there don't get official translations and are just begging for passionate scanslations? There's only so many options for why they're working their asses off every single week to release a subpar version of something two days before the official release.

Hell, you can't even argue that they've just got a passion for MHA, there's untranslated MHA stuff that's probably not ever getting an English release.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

SKULL.GIF posted:

Also, I feel kinda like Endeavor is being set up to be killed off soon here. Just narratively speaking, a 1-2 punch of losing the #1 immediately after losing All Might would basically shatter Hero Society along with Best Jeanist vanishing from public view, and on top of that Endeavor working to restore the Todoroki family explicitly without himself in it seems like a setup for a Dabi vs. Endeavor fight where Enji deliberately takes a dive rather than harm Toya. Am I speculating too heavily here or do others see what I'm seeing?

Endeavour accepting the best thing he can do is accept responsibility for destroying his family and helping them move on without him is about the biggest death flag he could possibly be waving. Passing on his ultimate technique to his son and then following his double-agent friend's lead against a crime boss is just icing on the Going To Die cake at this point. Might as well declare he's two days from retirement.

I think this development basically concludes his character development. There's still things to see, like how Shoto's mother reacts to the new home and Shoto's own feelings about his father working themselves out, but Endeavour himself seems at peace with his situation. All that's left to do is to throw himself into investigating the League and the Liberation Army, die fighting his secretly-survived-and-evil-son, and give Shigaraki the chance to topple Hero Society's #1.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 3, 2019

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

thetoughestbean posted:

Ah yes, the wealthiest and most respected part of the comics industry, the scanlators.
Pmush Perfect's response was pmuch perfect but I want to add that money is money and even if it's not a lot it's still people profiting off of lovely translations of stolen art, and in the case of manga aggregates people profiting of stolen stolen art which is a whole other issue.

Either way we're getting further and further away from the topic of MHA now. Support the official release y'all

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Dolash posted:

Endeavour accepting the best thing he can do is accept responsibility for destroying his family and helping them move on without him is about the biggest death flag he could possibly be waving. Passing on his ultimate technique to his son and then following his double-agent friend's lead against a crime boss is just icing on the Going To Die cake at this point. Might as well declare he's two days from retirement.

I think this development basically concludes his character development. There's still things to see, like how Shoto's mother reacts to the new home and Shoto's own feelings about his father working themselves out, but Endeavour himself seems at peace with his situation. All that's left to do is to throw himself into investigating the League and the Liberation Army, die fighting his secretly-survived-and-evil-son, and give Shigaraki the chance to topple Hero Society's #1.

All Might managed to stomp all over his own death flags, I'd like to see Endeavor do the same.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Shadowlyger posted:

All Might managed to stomp all over his own death flags, I'd like to see Endeavor do the same.

Yeah, but then Nighteye popped up with the whole "you're going to die in the next year or two" prophecy, raising even more death flags.

Plus, we now know that even if All Might does die, he'll just pop back up as one of Deku's quirk ghosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Rhonne posted:

Yeah, but then Nighteye popped up with the whole "you're going to die in the next year or two" prophecy, raising even more death flags.
He promised Inko he wouldn't die. Who breaks a promise like that?