Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
hey, I can win this if you just back out. well, maybe not for certain, but I’d certainly stand a better chance than if you were running too. why aren’t you backing out???? v:mad:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Labour has a way better set of environmental policies than the Green party, right?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Gripweed posted:

Labour has a way better set of environmental policies than the Green party, right?

Yup, flat out ban on fracking.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it depends - they're pretty even in some ways, but labour is miles better on nuclear power, for example

the big thing with labour's plan is the Green Industrial Revolution. it's basically a planned-economy exercise in shifting the economy away from more polluting industries and into greener stuff. this, along with a promise to enact sectoral bargaining in wage negotiations, has got the unions onside, which is one of the traditional big stumbling blocks for ambitious green plans

basically, one needs not only have policies that theoretically help with the environment, because that quickly ends up with macronism - cars bad, so levy fees on cars. corbyn's project is much more egalitarian, and means that he'll likely be able to avoid a yellow vest-style outrage. this is huge! it means that the left have a credible claim to just owning the issue of the environment, which is incredibly important and only going to get more so. it's the first major party i've seen to be able to bypass the Green "anti-ideology" and demonstrate how false it is. it's great

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Modest Mao posted:

if you'd planned to spend $20,000, then cancelled that plan and instead additionally worked to save $30,000 more dollars, I'd reckon you'd saved $50,000 over your original plan

buddy, do you spend nurses?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

im either the 0% predicted Green vote share, or the lib dems in the comments urging labour to step aside so that the lib dems can take the seat. I haven't decided yet

The first part is probably a reasonable prediction as apparently they aren't standing.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

cspam party standing in all constituencies

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Told my Mum I'd started canvassing. She's started leafleting, firing me up to do more.

Im in Altrincham Sale West, any other goons nearby?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/1201212627730477058?s=20

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

Jables88 posted:

Told my Mum I'd started canvassing. She's started leafleting, firing me up to do more.

Wythenshawe and Sale East here comrade.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Morter posted:

buddy, do you spend nurses?

I mean if they estimate losing and not replacing 20,000 people vs. keeping those people plus another 30,000...

I think the point is with this plan there's gunna be 50,000 more nurses than without. It seems coherent to my yankee brain and yet these hosts just can't get enough of it

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
like it's extraordinarily easy to follow what they're saying and the hosts are just mucking it up, having a go or maybe just having a laugh, rubbish

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Modest Mao posted:

I mean if they estimate losing and not replacing 20,000 people vs. keeping those people plus another 30,000...

I think the point is with this plan there's gunna be 50,000 more nurses than without. It seems coherent to my yankee brain and yet these hosts just can't get enough of it

They're very specifically always saying 50000 new nurses. Retaining nurses doesn't make them new

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH5Fmapcdhw

Oh my god. Oh my loving god. You have to drop everything and watch this. It's absolutely loving amazing.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Jose posted:

They're very specifically always saying 50000 new nurses. Retaining nurses doesn't make them new

otoh nurses are fungible

I think it's grammatically allowed, or at worst the least interesting political debacle to be tackled twice by the media

Modest Mao has issued a correction as of 21:37 on Dec 1, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

don't funge nurses thats not very nice

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Modest Mao posted:

otoh nurses are fungible

I think it's grammatically allowed, or at worst the least interesting political debacle to be tackled twice by the media

I'm also a yankee and I'm not comprehending a single defensible thing about this:

If there was like a contract due to end soon or even some weirdly perceived notion that 'the other party was going to make us lose 20k nurses', then yes, there's a clear connection between 'Us planning to have 50k more nurses' than other circumstances.

As was mentioned, though, the talking point is '50,000 new nurses'. The 20k expected-to-be-lost-and-yet-retained is not new.

So what needs to be answered are the following:

1) Was there some sort of issue where everyone thought that the UK was due to lose 20,000 nurses for [x] reason? Please solve for [x] because I have no clue about this.

2) Why the hell couldn't they just say 30,000 new nurses? No one would fight them on that!

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Modest Mao posted:

otoh nurses are fungible

The grammar isn't the issue. It's a deliberate attempt to mislead in a policy area where the Tories are rightly already not trusted.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
also "there's going to be 50,000 more nurses than there are currently because we're going to try to not drive out the 20,000 who would have left by that point if things carry on as they are" isn't a particularly great argument when the reason nursing is so poo poo is because of your government

especially because it's not something you can guarantee you can deliver even if you were genuinely interested in doing it (and you're not)

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Lots of nurses are leaving because of the conditions in the NHS after years of Tory cuts

Also lots of nurses come from the EU. Brexit

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

actually the nurses are leaving because of the Labour-enabled culture of anti-Semitism

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Jables88 posted:

Sale East here. Life has got very in the way of campaigning but I'm planning to do some next weekend and I've booked election day off work.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1201256788810698752

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

if this is how I get the news, well, lmao

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
https://twitter.com/KoloSZN/status/1201257013868666880

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Zoran posted:

if this is how I get the news, well, lmao

https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1201258641329917958

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

lol having to banish her favorite pedo son was to much

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Sounds like horseshit, she's 93. Reptilian megafauna can life far in excess of 100

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
Labour's anti-semitism was so bad it killed the queen.

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008
wow, she survived ww2 but couldn’t survive brexit

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you told me that in 2019 the absolute boy would be taking style tips from Conor McGregor I'd loving laugh you out of the room

https://twitter.com/fatherqueerest/status/1201258300534222849

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The queen is loving dead

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If the queen is dead you guys have to replace all your money, right?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

lol a Bloomberg opinion writer in the US dared question the anti-semitism narrative and is now being called a far left anti-semite
https://twitter.com/A_saada_/status/1201214222992105472?s=20
https://twitter.com/angloyankdad/status/1201215373175140352?s=20

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Noah Smith is like the picture of bloodless centrism too lmao

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Gripweed posted:

If the queen is dead you guys have to replace all your money, right?

Also the stamps. And have to delay the election

And change all the government stationary to say His Majesty's Government instead of Her Majesty's

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Lol at Noah Smith being "far left"

Still don't get why American Jews in the whole are pretty progressive but most British Jews are Tories

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Does the king need to touch the mace to re-mace it, or does the mace king somebody?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/AnnieKNK/status/1201269866071756800

:guillotine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Killing the queen for the good of the people, absolute mad lad