Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What word best describes your year?
This poll is closed.
Twee 4 1.28%
Goose 34 10.90%
Strand 22 7.05%
Bowsette 115 36.86%
poo poo 46 14.74%
Kirby 31 9.94%
Sonic 14 4.49%
I told you I don't like these polls 46 14.74%
Total: 312 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

LawfulWaffle posted:

Can someone explain the opening video in Xenogears? I’ve seen it about a dozen times and I get computer virus but the whole “space time opening. It’s clear they’re going to attack” and then the cables bursting out of the ship confuse me. And the admiral’s daughter is Elle (?). I beat the game like 15 years ago and don’t recall if the ending cleared that stuff up

Deus woke up? got out of containment? and is hacking the ship and gaining control(the cables). Deus was going to jump to the ship's homeplanet(the space time line you mentioned) and presumably ruin their poo poo but then the captain activated the self destruct and the ship crashed onto the nearest planet.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

LawfulWaffle posted:

Can someone explain the opening video in Xenogears? I’ve seen it about a dozen times and I get computer virus but the whole “space time opening. It’s clear they’re going to attack” and then the cables bursting out of the ship confuse me. And the admiral’s daughter is Elle (?). I beat the game like 15 years ago and don’t recall if the ending cleared that stuff up

The ship was transporting a deactivated Deus to some remote planet. Deus woke up, began taking over the ship (the attack) in order to use its hyperdrive or whatever it's called to jump towards earth or lost jerusalem or whatever you want to call the planet mankind originates from (thus the space time thing). You're misremembering the order of the lines, the preparations for a jump happen after the attack bit. The captain crashed the ship before that could happen.

Elly isn't the captain's daughter, she's an artifical human created by the being inside the Zohar according to Abel's need for a mother, but her looks are based on the captain's daughter or wife or both. Abel had either seen the captain's photo, or was related to the captain and knew his family, that's never made clear, but either of them is what came to Abel's mind when he desired a companion/guardian.

Chev fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 2, 2019

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Okay, thanks. That clears some things up. I was playing through the openings of a few old psx RPGs (Star Ocwan 2, SaGa Frontier 2, Xenogears, Parasite Eve) and was inspired to sell insight on something that confused me for ages

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Speaking of old JRPG confusion, why does FF7’s Vincent sleep in a coffin?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Because he's a vampire duh.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
No, he's just bisexual.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Because he’s a machinist

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I completed my goal of finishing Star Wars and Pokemon before Thanksgiving break ended.

Now onto Death Stranding, Luigi's Mansion 3, Yakuza Kiwami, The Outer Worlds, and Indivisible. Those are the games I definitely don't want to restart. Then, if there's time, I don't mind restarting Bloodstained or finishing my Black Eagles playthrough in FE3H.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Coffins are expensive and comfy looking.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7zTvC5yjjE

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Vincent is an Emo Elemental and wishes he was dead, so he sleeps in a coffin to fully embody his tortured song lyrics. He broods in his room for years until someone accidentally shows an interest in his sorrow. Later he cosplays as a serial killer when he's pushed to his limit.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Relax Or DIE posted:

As someone who struggles with constant intrusive thoughts that everyone knows how disgusting and worthless I am and are just not saying so out of kindness, I should feel for this person, but also gently caress 'em.

You're a good goon who's posts always entertain me and you're one of my favourite people in this thread :)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jay Rust posted:

He and Hojo started a V:TM LARP group in Midgar years ago.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 2, 2019

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Relax Or DIE posted:

As someone who struggles with constant intrusive thoughts that everyone knows how disgusting and worthless I am and are just not saying so out of kindness, I should feel for this person, but also gently caress 'em.

I enjoy your posts every day.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

December is End Credits Snooze Month. Post your favorite end credits.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Wandersong has the best end credits but spoilers

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You get to see Zell choke on some hot dogs in the Final Fantasy 8 end credits

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015

Khanstant posted:

I only have the flying edge, it's neat but I haven't upgraded it so it's weak

Most of the rare/gimmick weapons in Bloodstained are broken in some dumb and awesome way, which is part of the reason the game rules. Flying Edge is cool for a ton of reasons: long range, hits multiple times per throw depending on how well you aim it, good coverage due to the blade spin at its apex, doesn't have any recovery at all which makes it great for grinding trash enemies and candles or fighting highly mobile enemies, etc. etc. Learning where to position Miriam before you toss it is the trick to using it well. Even if the damage seems low I found it useful for much, much longer than more conventional weapons with a bigger attack stat.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

When I was a kid I always liked getting to see the names of all the enemies in the Super Mario World + DKC credits

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

When I was a kid I always liked getting to see the names of all the enemies in the Super Mario World + DKC credits

Mega Man would often do that as well

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lots of games did that stuff. Dont know when it died out

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Rarity posted:

You're a good goon who's posts always entertain me and you're one of my favourite people in this thread :)

Happy Hedonist posted:

I enjoy your posts every day.

Thanks, I appreciate y'all - I didn't want to start a pity party or anything, I just find myself immensely frustrated with people like that because I really understand their headspace but I managed not to be that lovely.

As thanks, have this:

https://twitter.com/RaisorCosplay/status/1201254051981119489?s=20

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

al-azad posted:

I just saw knives out which is a solid murder mystery but it’s even better as a concept because it’s distinctly advertised as the quaintest whitest Agatha Christie thriller then turns into a light hearted Get Out.

I wish video games still made trashy murderer mysteries, I loved the old school Nancy Drew and Agatha Christie fmv Walmart garbage.

May I recommend to you a game called... Detroit: Become Human

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

LawfulWaffle posted:

Okay, thanks. That clears some things up. I was playing through the openings of a few old psx RPGs (Star Ocwan 2, SaGa Frontier 2, Xenogears, Parasite Eve) and was inspired to sell insight on something that confused me for ages
The part where those cable connectors were blown off would have stopped the Zohar from taking over the ship right there, but the plot said no.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

May I recommend to you a game called... Detroit: Become Human
Speaking of which Quantic Dream were very officially found guilty of all the harassment they were accused of in a judgement two weeks ago. And this week thee'll be the judgement about whether newspapers reporting those terrible working conditions was libel or not, which I guess QD will lose since it's true.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

well time to drive for 7 hours to get home for thanksgiving, no one play any videogames while i'm gone

ok i'm back, you all better not have played any videogames

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/1201258237775011841

Chev posted:

Speaking of which Quantic Dream were very officially found guilty of all the harassment they were accused of in a judgement two weeks ago. And this week thee'll be the judgement about whether newspapers reporting those terrible working conditions was libel or not, which I guess QD will lose since it's true.

owns

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Chev posted:

Is David Cage the one that will have to face legal consequences for this or what exactly happens next?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

I said come in! posted:

Is David Cage the one that will have to face legal consequences for this or what exactly happens next?

The company is guilty so the company is the one facing consequences. That's how that kind of thing works. That being said they only need to pay 5000 bucks (well, eurobucks) to their ex-employee plus legal fees. However, said employee has appealed the judgement because it didn't take into account a photoshopped pic displaying him as a gay nazi (I wish I were making this up) which could make things a bit worse, although not that much worse. Other consequences will be on the twitter battlefield and such, where some french influencers and journalists who "spontaneously" flew to QD's defense to denounce the plaintiff as a liar now can be called out as the hypocrites and/or shills they were, not that it's gonna shake things up all that much.

Chev fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 2, 2019

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Platinumed Spyro 2. Think I'll start Kiwami now.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I just found out what a complete shitshow WWE 2k20 was and I'm really enjoying watching some of the bugs and the lovely character renders.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The end of the credits for Kirby's Adventure had a special thank you to the player and it melted my little heart. One of the first games I beat, probably in the back seat of my mom's van

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I said come in! posted:

Nier: Automata

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWQBOsKHqpM

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

actually this one's the best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ruqn1Lnexs

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Help Im Alive posted:

Is Dragon Quest Builders 2 good solo

I loved the first one but the marketing and stuff for 2 made it look like you need friends

You definitely don't need to play online at all, it's still a single player game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Special Thanks

Rumi the Toy Poodle
Zoé
Alexandru
You, for reading this post!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Since someone already said NieR: Automata

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQnUNqk43AE

Comedy options:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5ypr1cc0DQ&t=105s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jmdt0QnBUg&t=58s

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Best credits song is Double Dragon Neon which times your achievement to the lyrics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I said come in! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvUlIZh3TAc&t=2189s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2xit9y2-qE&t=197s