Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

:psyboom: :psyboom: :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Thaaaaaaaaat... did not have nearly enough set-up.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Holy poo poo.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

:what:

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
What the gently caress

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Was it mentioned before this episode that Cal had amnesia in a car accident, because I honestly can't remember it being mentioned before that conversation with Trieu.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

MaoistBanker posted:

Also, since we have seen from the trailer for next week's episode that they basically redressed up the Tulsa street to look like Hanoi (and the shot of the trailer of people in Vietnam with Dr Manhattan balloons), and that there is an explosion I wonder if THIS shot is actually from Angela's childhood in the 80s in Saigon.

I’m gonna buy myself a coke for guessing this right.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I really don’t know what I think about this poo poo. The Bowie cover is cool, though.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
what the fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Ah of course, I should have known. The signs were all there, such as

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also I’ll be pissed if a bunch of dumb racists manage to kill Dr. Manhattan. Although Bubastis never reassembled herself as a blue god, so I don’t know what king peckerwood thinks will happen.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Are you loving kidding me

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The end was crazy, but the best and funniest part was the senator sounding like he was going to reveal that the 7th Calvary wasn’t about racism, before revealing that it actually is.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Xanderkish posted:

Ah of course, I should have known. The signs were all there, such as

There were some. People kept talking about Dr. Manhattan and what he can or can’t do. And Cal did say that there was no god last week.

Molrok
May 30, 2011

Welp, what a episode, talk about an elephant in the room.

:haw:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Uh huh...

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 2, 2019

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Doctor Manhattan is just emulating his idol Justin Trudeau

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Whoa, holy poo poo.

I said earlier in the thread I was convinced there was something to Cal because 'Cal Abar' seemed like some kinda code name,

But I wasn't expecting that.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Did that fart actually happen?

I'm sure he used a whoopy cushion made out of super-science materials to produce it. He also crafted every part of the cushion artisanally out of hand-built parts. It was a very carefully calculated fake-fart, produced at just the right moment for maximum effect.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

There were some. People kept talking about Dr. Manhattan and what he can or can’t do. And Cal did say that there was no god last week.

Hooded Justice told us too.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

Whoa, holy poo poo.

I said earlier in the thread I was convinced there was something to Cal because 'Cal Abar' seemed like some kinda code name,

But I wasn't expecting that.

It should have been that he had a past as the gun-themed hero Caliber.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
I figured Dr. Manhattan was in Tulsa. I knew the husband was involved since he talked about an accident and the stilted conversation he had with Angela that one night was.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Am sort of mad that Billy Crudup isn't gonna be the voice.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Jay-V posted:

Wow good catch on his name. Also, "Excalibur" is the name of Laurie's Dr. Manhattan dildo. So you have:

"Laurie's ex" -> "Dr. Manhattan" -> "Excalibur" -> "Ex-Cal Abar" -> Cal Abar is Laurie's Ex, Dr. Manhattan :tinfoil:

Holy poo poo.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
The giant blue dildo built by Dan dreiberg went by the code word Excalibur. Ex-cal-abar. Lol

Edit: beaten lol

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Abar is a reference to a movie where a black man becomes a superhuman and wants to make other people superhuman. The fact that the 7th Kalvary is using that plan to kill a (blue) black man is actually hilarious.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think Laurie said she thought Cal was hot a few times too.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Really need to know where this falls in terms of blackface

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
holkey poo poo

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Honestly the foreshadowing is there, but the whole idea just seems stupid on a gut level to me.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

I think Laurie said she thought Cal was hot a few times too.

And that conversation where Angela confronted Cal about having spoken to Laurie, why she was so angry. It was definitely disproportional.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

¡increíble!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not entirely sure about this twist but if there's one thing this show has earned it's my patience.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ethiser posted:

The end was crazy, but the best and funniest part was the senator sounding like he was going to reveal that the 7th Calvary wasn’t about racism, before revealing that it actually is.
This was indeed great.
Unfortunately I'm really put off by this twist for a number of reasons, chief among them being that there definitely wasn't enough set-up for something of this magnitude from a character standpoint. Angela knowing that her husband has Dr. Manhattan in his brain or whatever completely recontextualizes basically everything she does, and I don't feel like it's in a good way like with Hooded Justice.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Raxivace posted:

Honestly the foreshadowing is there, but the whole idea just seems stupid on a gut level to me.

This is where I'm at. I really want to hear the logic for why Dr. Manhattan decided to go undercover in Tulsa.

Also I want to know if the penis size remained constant through the transition, but that's another story.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's, well, certainly unexpected. My first reaction is the same as here, where it felt very much not set up—though I think if they had touched on Cal's memory loss before this it'd be immediately guessable. That being said... there's something I really do like about it. It's a very different concept than anything in the comic, but it's a great sci-fi concept. Next week's gonna get wild.

I'm guessing that Cal is the original Jon. We saw from the comics that Manhattan can make copies of himself, so when he falls in love with a young Angela he makes a copy who goes on to be the character we see in the book, and the original forgets who he is and by doing so retains and maintains his humanity. The other Manhattan goes off and meets Laurie and the crimebusters, goes through the comic events, fucks off to Europa, makes life, gets bored, and flies off to another galaxy. Now we've reactivated the OG Jon who never experienced any of those other events.

Also, it'd be hilarious if Manhattan's created-humans on Europa thought "guilty" meant "gilt" or "gilded" and just covered Adrian in gold right before he was going to get picked up by Trieu to save the world, forcing her to just do it herself.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 2, 2019

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

okay, so, it turns out that some of us were right about some things, and not right about other things

point being, the show did something more cleverer than we came up with which is great

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Can’t believe the huge twist that Will Reeves isn’t a black man, and has instead been an elephant in disguise this whole time.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Show rules.

Also, :lol: at how long it took me to figure out why the credits music sounded so familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

FishBowlRobot posted:

Can’t believe the huge twist that Will Reeves isn’t a black man, and has instead been an elephant in disguise this whole time.

I laughed out loud at this for a good three seconds. Thank you, sir or madam.