Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

John Wick of Dogs posted:

On... Christmas and Easter?

Nope. Just random weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Insofar as "voter apathy" is a thing that exists, it's primarily a product of our lovely political and election systems. The single-representative system + gerrymandering means that most people either end represented by people with polar opposite views or have zero choices on the ballot for a lot of positions. First-past-the-post, the electoral college, and our two party's primary systems are pretty much the worst way to get people excited about presidential elections, too. Throw that on top Republicans efforts to make voting as difficult as possible and labeling the result "voter apathy" is just trying to slap a thin veneer of moral failure on top of a big old shitpile of structural failures.

We can harass individual people into voting or maybe they'll come out if things get terrible enough for them, personally, but America will always have terrible turnouts until our political and electoral systems are changed.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 2, 2019

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

On... Christmas and Easter?

More like in the context of new crankery regarding the early history of Christianity, IIRC. "Does the Gospel of Judas change everything we thought we knew?" - that sort of thing. But maybe I'm being too harsh; I don't remember old Newsweek articles very well. There was definitely an overall decline in Newsweek's quality over the past few years, though, and Newsweek covers in general always tended towards the clickbaity even when the actual article was OK.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Silver2195 posted:

More like in the context of new crankery regarding the early history of Christianity, IIRC. "Does the Gospel of Judas change everything we thought we knew?" - that sort of thing. But maybe I'm being too harsh; I don't remember old Newsweek articles very well. There was definitely an overall decline in Newsweek's quality over the past few years, though, and Newsweek covers in general always tended towards the clickbaity even when the actual article was OK.

No you aren't being too harsh. It was that type of bullshit, but I was amazed it just kept happening. One story about a bizarre Christian thing, sure. But multiple times a year? The late 90s/early 2000s were my formative years when I came to realize most of the media I was told to hold in esteem were ran by idiots. I'm almost positive in the early 2000s The Atlantic had a cover story about something like "The Case to Invade China". Then a libertarian girlfriend of mine turned me on to The New Republic, which was a fresh new hell.

I will say the book and art reviews were pretty great, but I don't know if they even have those anymore.

edit: It's also why I get annoyed when people piss on Glenn Greenwald. He was a beacon during that era and we did/have far bigger concerns with the media than Glenn loving Greenwald.

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 2, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 minutes!

ManBoyChef posted:

This is something I really hate about voters in Florida. They have Scott's deposition which was used in ads that played on the tv nonstop during the elections. His medicare fraud was brought up in the Orlando Sentinel a number of times and I believe it had been brought up in most normal newspapers. These stupid people in this state voted a fraudster in as governor and then senator. Wtf is wrong with these people? I guess they couldn't get Bernie Maddoff or a convicted serial child molester for the job.

Florida's information ecosystem is weird. For one thing, remember that the state has a bunch of places like the Village where retiree voters are marinating in conservative propaganda by design, and aren't exposed to conventional media.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Stickman posted:

Insofar as "voter apathy" is a thing that exists, it's primarily a product of our lovely political and election systems. The single-representative system + gerrymandering means that most people either end represented by people with polar opposite views or have zero choices on the ballot for a lot of positions. First-past-the-post, the electoral college, and our two parties primary systems are pretty much the worst way to get people excited about presidential elections, too. Throw that on top Republicans efforts to make voting as difficult as possible and labeling the result "voter apathy" is just trying to slap a thin veneer of moral failure on top of a big old shitpile of structural failures.

We can harass individual people into voting or maybe they'll come out if things get terrible enough for them, personally, but America will always have terrible turnouts until our political and electoral systems are changed.

Im sure more people would vote if we didnt have two right wing parties.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

1glitch0 posted:

edit: It's also why I get annoyed when people piss on Glenn Greenwald. He was a beacon during that era and we did/have far bigger concerns with the media than Glenn loving Greenwald.

My problem with Greenwald is that the work he does depends largely on where he is locally. If he's in Brazil, he's doing amazing stuff in combatting fascism and is literally risking being assassinated by fascists. When he comes to the US, he carries water for those fascists when he appears yet again on Tucker Carlson.

I'm not sure what his problem is, but fascism isn't a national problem, or at least not alone. It's an international problem.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

ManBoyChef posted:

Im sure more people would vote if we didnt have two right wing parties.

If that was a meaningful amount, Bernie would be doing better than third in primary polling.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

skeleton warrior posted:

If that was a meaningful amount, Bernie would be doing better than third in primary polling.

Third in a race where the media is deliberately not covering him, and the DNC mainstays are begging people not to vote for him

But I digress, this isn't USPol chat

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

skeleton warrior posted:

The polls are as massaged as the mainstream media coverage is. The primary thread has been cataloging instances of it. Hard to believe the polls when the media is ignoring polls good for him and trumpeting polls that have over 80% landlines.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
University kills at least one job after giving millions to preserve white supremacist statue
rawstory.com/December 1, 2019
"Last week the North Carolina University system announced that it was giving a $2.5 million to a trust that would fund the preservation of Confederate statues, namely the “Silent Sam” statue that was toppled by protesters. Now it seems at least one job has been cut and a North Carolina State employee is questioning if it was as a result of the settlement."

Rosa Parks statue to be unveiled Sunday
abcnews.go.com/November 30, 2019
"A new statue of civil rights pioneer Rosa Parks will be unveiled Sunday in downtown Montgomery [Alabama]."

Utah teacher tells boy, excited to be adopted by 2 dads, it's 'nothing to be thankful for'
msn.com/6 hrs ago
'The unidentified teacher, who was working at Deerfield Elementary School in Cedar Hills in late November, asked a class of fifth-graders what they were thankful for this year ahead of Thanksgiving. One boy, an 11-year-old identified as "D.M.," said he was thankful he was "finally going to be adopted by my two dads."

"Why on earth would you be happy about that?" the teacher quipped, according to The Salt Lake Tribune. She then reportedly lectured the 30-student class for 10 minutes about how "homosexuality is wrong" and "two men living together is a sin."'

[US Public school.]

What swimming in my underwear taught me about Donald Trump and getting away with it
usatoday.com/Dec. 1, 2019
"Democrats resist, but Trump has desensitized his political base to his corruption by serving them more corruption. Something can only remain shocking for so long. Eventually the “unprecedented” becomes routine."

New Orleans shooting: 11 wounded on edge of French Quarter
syracuse.com/Today 1:22 PM

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/gtconway3d/status/1200838395221741578

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1201...er%3D118%23pti4

"Despite the rare opportunity to present evidence to the grand jury, the defendant declines, just because he's so innocent."

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

https://twitter.com/HenryKrinkIe/status/1201302552278700034?s=20

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Presidential legal team presents all their evidence in powerful and taxing audio/visual display:

https://i.imgur.com/WGGHt5N.mp4

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Ice Phisherman posted:

My problem with Greenwald is that the work he does depends largely on where he is locally. If he's in Brazil, he's doing amazing stuff in combatting fascism and is literally risking being assassinated by fascists. When he comes to the US, he carries water for those fascists when he appears yet again on Tucker Carlson.

I'm not sure what his problem is, but fascism isn't a national problem, or at least not alone. It's an international problem.

I don't really want to get Greenwald chat started again, even though I started it this time, but my argument is that he did amazing journalist work against United States fascism when Bush Jr was president when almost no other journalist was doing a goddamn thing, of course he's going to stick with local fascism because he's not goddamn Superman, and he appears on Fox News because he's been blackballed by CNN and MSNBC. I'm pretty sure he'd show up on Rachel Maddow's show if she asked him. She won't because his anti-fascist journalism extended from Bush Jr through Obama which is a big No-No. He has blind spots for sure, but when people like Jake Tapper and Anderson Cooper, and Chris Cuomo have their own shows expressing pro-fascist views every night it's hard to get upset over a dude who might literally be assassinated by fascists for writing his articles.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Otteration posted:

Presidential legal team presents all their evidence in powerful and taxing audio/visual display:

I've done a complete 180, Trump is innocent

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Who is HenryKrinkIe?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I've done a complete 180, Trump is innocent

I've done a complete 360, Trump is guilty.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I know that if I'm innocent, I decline an opportunity to present evidence in a legal setting that proves my innocence. I mean, what am I? An idiot?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What I want to know is if he doesn't want to testify, or if he DOES and his team desperately had to talk him out of it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Otteration posted:

Who is HenryKrinkIe?
He’s a Goon

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

1glitch0 posted:

No you aren't being too harsh. It was that type of bullshit, but I was amazed it just kept happening. One story about a bizarre Christian thing, sure. But multiple times a year? The late 90s/early 2000s were my formative years when I came to realize most of the media I was told to hold in esteem were ran by idiots. I'm almost positive in the early 2000s The Atlantic had a cover story about something like "The Case to Invade China". Then a libertarian girlfriend of mine turned me on to The New Republic, which was a fresh new hell.

I don’t remember that Atlantic article, but I do remember Bill Kristol in April 2001 arguing that the US should go to war with China over the Hainan Island incident. It was shockingly dumb at the time (and six months later looked even dumber). But he got his war a little later, and has never paid a price for either, so I guess he got the last laugh

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I know that if I'm innocent, I decline an opportunity to present evidence in a legal setting that proves my innocence. I mean, what am I? An idiot?

Look, everyone knows that if one side doesn't show up, the whole thing is called off, right?

Reality
Sep 26, 2010

Otteration posted:

New convert to US politics! My cat believes whatever this bird is saying

mod edit: double check your screenshots/photos so you don't doxx yourself :argh:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 2, 2019

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1201267255285297154

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1201271096336625672

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1201252344782082048

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1201191764075384834

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1201226973361659906

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Newsweek's gone through a ton of changes in the past decade. It was owned by the same people who owned the Washington Post pre-Bezos for about fifty years, and in the 2000s as its circulation shrank they decided to shift "Newsweek" from a weekly newsmagazine to a "thought leader" journal of op-eds and columns.

This did not improve things, so WaPo sold the magazine to Sidney Harman (of Harmon-Kardon Aduo wealth) for a dollar so long as he accepted $47 million dollars in debt the magazine had racked up.

Three months later Harman merged Newsweek with The Daily Beast, co-owning the thing with InteractiveCorp, a holding company founded by Barry Diller that started in order to buy up local TV stations and convert them into Home Shopping Network affiliates and at various points has had partial ownership of everything from Ticketmaster, Ask Jeeves, Lending Tree, and Tinder.

In 2011 Harman died and Newsweek.com got redesigned to basically be an aggregator of the most popular Daily Beast pieces of the past week in a "magazine" format.
In 2012, Newsweek stopped publishing their print edition.
In 2013 Diller said it was stupid to buy Newsweek in public and sold the magazine website to the International Business Times, which is its own ball of wax.

IBT has gone through several revamps of Newsweek since they bought it, including bringing back the print edition a few years ago. I could have sworn they went through a BleacherReport/Forbes period of letting anyone be a "contributor" for clicks but I may be mixing it up with some other troubled legacy brand.

The couple that ran IBT and an evangelical university they worked with got indicted for some weird fraud, a story that Newsweek covered, and they fired the reporters who covered it. They "spun off" Newsweek as an independent company a short while later, but it's not clear if the two people who own IBT still own it.

Anyway, Newsweek of 2019 bears almost no connection besides a string of ownership paperwork with the magazine from fifty years ago, or even five years ago. Other than the name of the site/magazine there's no reason to take it more seriously than someone's blog, and honestly given their string of reporting errors I'm not sure they deserve that much respect.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The GOP haven’t been “duped” they’re willfully undermining the US and acting on behalf of foreign interests and I have no idea why they’re still being given a leash by now. Either they’re being blackmailed because they have taken money and are trying to save their own rear end or they’re willfully participating on behalf of Russia. Confront them straight on it.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Gatts posted:

The GOP haven’t been “duped” they’re willfully undermining the US and acting on behalf of foreign interests and I have no idea why they’re still being given a leash by now. Either they’re being blackmailed because they have taken money and are trying to save their own rear end or they’re willfully participating on behalf of Russia. Confront them straight on it.

even if they were duped none of them can admit it because it seriously calls into question how fit for office you are when you fall for a dumb as poo poo conspiracy theory, especially one that if you were to admit you're wrong it makes the Democrats correct about a bunch of poo poo. so even if some of them aren't corrupted (doubtful) then there's no way out for them, they have to take this all the way.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm honestly surprised that he's still on Fox

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Fox has always had a habit of keeping one or two respectable people around so they can point to them and claim they are balanced

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Dammerung posted:

Maybe I'm just not fully understanding the situation, but if the editorial staff got the reporter into that situation and then did nothing to defend them, I would disagree. I can't see any way to work with people who will sacrifice their coworkers to save themselves like that. I agree that nobody should have been fired, but that kind of scapegoating is unacceptable when it leads to such dire consequences.

Welcome to pretty much any job in the US

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Everyone has more credibility than donald Trump. The man lies so much everything he says is met with "What's the real truth?"

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Otteration posted:

If the bird's in the sink, you must rethink! This is a slam dunk defence

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Fox has always had a habit of keeping one or two respectable people around so they can point to them and claim they are balanced

I think it's just him and Chris Wallace left now that Shep Smith got fired on Bill Barr's order. I remember Jon Stewart used to have him on every now and then and he seemed capable of doing something basically no one else on Fox could do: laugh at himself. Feint praise, I know, but still.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

Look, everyone knows that if one side doesn't show up, the whole thing is called off, right?

The House bit is, of course, a grand jury (normally) charged with presenting evidence against the accused to a "jury" which decides whether indictments go forward without any help whatsoever from the defendant council.

Imaging the idiocy of not having your lawyer present during depositions by witnesses against your case, let alone denying the opportunity to defend with evidence in a normally closed and one-sided prosecutor-guided grand jury.

The poo poo smear MUST be declared innocent of all possible things.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

yeah. basicaly trump is his own worst enemy and if he were smart or had less of an ego, we would have never gotten to this point. i know it won't happen, but trump strikes me as dumb enough fucker to get himself convicted by his own party just because he is too loving dumb to mount enough of defense to give them cover.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Yeah, it's kinda hard to emphasize how much riskier for Trump the "presenting the case" portion of the impeachment proceedings is compared to the "gathering evidence" part of the impeachment process that we've nominally been in.

I still think Trump will serve out his term but he's consistently mishandled things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Tibalt posted:

I still think Trump will serve out his term but he's consistently mishandled things.
That's, uh, quite the understatement