Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I use a data color spyder5 with some third party software. Color calibration is probably the cheapest thing you can do to really improve your colorization, a sensor is usually around 100 bucks and, while I can't vouch for colormunki, datacolor spyders are all the same sensor with the price difference just being what software you run it with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

President Beep posted:

Any recommendations for a good, portable flash diffuser for use on-camera? I’ve got one of those inexpensive rectangular dealios that you velcro around the flash, but it still throws some pretty harsh light. I get by just fine bouncing the light indoors, and I’ve got some nice, big add-on bounce panels for close outdoor shots, but once the subject moves further away I have trouble lighting them up.

What I’d like to have is the ability to point the flash right at them, but give the light a bounce-like soft quality.

Just in case anyone gives a rat's rear end, since I use a Godox TT685s I ended up going with their diffuser and bounce card. I like the modular system, and the magnetic mount setup is super convenient.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hey, so, dumb question -- I just got my wife a Canon Rebel T7 for her birthday, and a few of our relatives chipped in because it was expensive, and as a way to personalize their contributions I had the bright idea to let them take a picture or record a video of themselves which I could then add to the camera's memory card, so that my wife can flip through and see videos of all our relatives wishing her a happy birthday. I'm doing that today, and the problem is that I can't get the videos in the correct format to actually display on the device.

One of the videos was posted as an mp4. I converted it to MOV, and renamed it to match the camera's file naming scheme (specifically, MVI_0003.MOV), and now the camera can tell that there is a file there, but can't view it -- onscreen, I get a message reading "Cannot playback movie" and a ? icon. So, obviously there's something specific about the video file's format which the camera is expecting but which the file doesn't match. How do I tell what that mismatch is? Is there a commonly-known list of format requirements for a Canon Rebel that I can check the file against, and possibly run a conversion on?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I use a data color spyder5 with some third party software. Color calibration is probably the cheapest thing you can do to really improve your colorization, a sensor is usually around 100 bucks and, while I can't vouch for colormunki, datacolor spyders are all the same sensor with the price difference just being what software you run it with.

Same thing I do using a Spyder 4 and Displaycal. Works just fine.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The same happens with the images, which like the ones the camera takes are JPGs. I really don't know what else to do to them, help would be much appreciated

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

loquacius posted:

The same happens with the images, which like the ones the camera takes are JPGs. I really don't know what else to do to them, help would be much appreciated

Huh, never tried viewing images on a camera that didn't also capture them in the first place. Will the media play on a computer/tablet?

e: Here's a link to one of Canon's help pages. It's for a few of their mirrorless models, but I bet it's still applicable to the T7.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

President Beep posted:

Huh, never tried viewing images on a camera that didn't also capture them in the first place. Will the media play on a computer/tablet?

e: Here's a link to one of Canon's help pages. It's for a few of their mirrorless models, but I bet it's still applicable to the T7.

Yeah, they're all viewable just fine on my computer. That support page is helpful in that it indicates I'm probably SOL -- it just says "try viewing these files on a computer instead :)". I really liked this idea; I might have to just put all the files on the card's "MISC" folder and tell her to try looking at them on her computer, which is much lamer but might be the best I can do :shrug: Thanks

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Cameras probably aren't intended as general playback devices.

If you really want to make it happen you can film your monitor playing back the video.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

Yeah, they're all viewable just fine on my computer. That support page is helpful in that it indicates I'm probably SOL -- it just says "try viewing these files on a computer instead :)". I really liked this idea; I might have to just put all the files on the card's "MISC" folder and tell her to try looking at them on her computer, which is much lamer but might be the best I can do :shrug: Thanks

I've never imagined doing such a thing, but are the files you're trying to put on h.264 codec? Are they compatible framerate (looks like 30 or 24, though I'm not sure if it's 24 or normal 23.976)? Are they the correct resolution (1080 or 720)? Do you accidentally have any goofy codec settings on, like interlacing?

edit: also, you could try recording a quick video in the camera, and then bring that into whatever you're making the videos from to match codec and settings.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

Buy and use a colormunki display. Or the photo one if you're made of money, but it's not really necessary for a prosumer.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Sauer posted:

Same thing I do using a Spyder 4 and Displaycal. Works just fine.

I ordered a SpyderX Pro, and if that is not enough I found a tutorial for how to create a color profile using C1 and something called Lumariver.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Looks like the bag thread is super old, so I'll ask here. I'm starting to investigate a wheeled bag to make air travel easier. I've got nice SKB case already, but I'm thinking about a backpack with wheels that could work for getting through airports but then also not be horrible as a day pack for light hiking. Would need to fit a 15" laptop (that I'd typically leave back at the room for the hiking part), binoculars, water bottle, etc. My camera kit would be 1-2 un-gripped dslr and probably 2-4 lenses with the biggest 70-300 or 400/5.6. Probably looking to spend <$300 although if there's something worth it outside that price range I might be willing to go higher. I'm just starting to think about this so I'm not entirely sure of my exact use cases but I think getting some recommendations or warnings at this point would help me narrow down my search.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Looks like the bag thread is super old, so I'll ask here. I'm starting to investigate a wheeled bag to make air travel easier. I've got nice SKB case already, but I'm thinking about a backpack with wheels that could work for getting through airports but then also not be horrible as a day pack for light hiking. Would need to fit a 15" laptop (that I'd typically leave back at the room for the hiking part), binoculars, water bottle, etc. My camera kit would be 1-2 un-gripped dslr and probably 2-4 lenses with the biggest 70-300 or 400/5.6. Probably looking to spend <$300 although if there's something worth it outside that price range I might be willing to go higher. I'm just starting to think about this so I'm not entirely sure of my exact use cases but I think getting some recommendations or warnings at this point would help me narrow down my search.

For cabin or hold?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can you just get a wheelie bag and then bring the backpack as a personal item? I usually travel with either a Pelican 1510 or ThinkTank Airport International as my main carryon and then a photo backpack or regular backpack as my personal item strapped to the top. I can fit 5 primes, an 80-400, laptop, and video camera body with big batteries in that combo (but I do have to check a bag for personal items.) If the bag is so heavy you want to roll it in an airport I can't imagine wanting to have it on your back hiking, and anything with wheels is gonna be heavier.

You could also get a little folding luggage dolly thing.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jarlywarly posted:

For cabin or hold?

For cabin.

Yeah, my last trip I carried on the skb and then packed an empty shoulder camera bag inside a large luggage to check, and other times I’ve carried on a large non-camera day pack with my computer for the overhead bin and a camera shoulder bag for under the seat and then packed away a small day pack in my checked luggage. I’m trying to figure out how to simply this that involves wheels.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My approach would be to get a nice camera organizer insert, most of them have clips that you can attach a shoulder strap to. This leaves you freedom to buy as big or small a wheeled bag as you need, and when you're at the counter take the insert out with all your expensive poo poo and check the wheeled bag. To accomodate day hikes I'd ball up a normal backpack that is large enough to fit the camera insert and stuff it in the wheeled luggage.

I really don't think you'll ever find a backpack that has wheels, is comfortable for hiking, and is dedicated for camera use so you're gonna be forced to cobble something together no matter what.

Comedy option: https://www.gritinc.net/hockey-hyfx

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I have a Mindshift BackLight 26L that basically fills this role perfectly (or the 36L if you need a little more room, though it might be pushing carry-on size). https://amzn.to/35CBStv https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/backlight-series/products/backlight-26l

I can fit my 80D, Sigma 18-35/1.8, Tamron G2 70-200/2.8, Tamron G2 150-600, Canon 50/1.8, filters, spare batteries, tripod and other misc gear with ease. It's also very comfortable and has real waist straps to help distribute the weight.

They do also make a wheeled backpack specifically to carry camera gear but in my mind I'd prefer the BackLight or similar option. Is it going to spend more time on your back in the airport or in the field? The wheeled options don't seem like they'd carry very well and have unnecessary weight added. https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/airport-series-backpacks/products/airport-takeoff-v2-0

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

xzzy posted:

My approach would be to get a nice camera organizer insert, most of them have clips that you can attach a shoulder strap to. This leaves you freedom to buy as big or small a wheeled bag as you need, and when you're at the counter take the insert out with all your expensive poo poo and check the wheeled bag. To accomodate day hikes I'd ball up a normal backpack that is large enough to fit the camera insert and stuff it in the wheeled luggage.

I really don't think you'll ever find a backpack that has wheels, is comfortable for hiking, and is dedicated for camera use so you're gonna be forced to cobble something together no matter what.

Comedy option: https://www.gritinc.net/hockey-hyfx

I'd like something better for travel too. I've got a nice carry-on backpack and have been thinking about getting an insert for it. Any suggestions? Lots of options out there...

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

For cabin.

Yeah, my last trip I carried on the skb and then packed an empty shoulder camera bag inside a large luggage to check, and other times I’ve carried on a large non-camera day pack with my computer for the overhead bin and a camera shoulder bag for under the seat and then packed away a small day pack in my checked luggage. I’m trying to figure out how to simply this that involves wheels.

I’d get a photo backpack that’s small enough for under seat (with no wheels) and pack your laptop into a wheeled case that goes in the overhead bin. Then just strap the backpack to your wheelie case while you’re traipsing through the airport. A wheeled backpack is going to be the worst solution to your problem, being both smaller than it could be in the airport and heavier than it should be on your back.

My think tank streetwalker pro is probably big enough for everything you list and I’ve taken it under seat on a ton of flights.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

President Beep posted:

I'd like something better for travel too. I've got a nice carry-on backpack and have been thinking about getting an insert for it. Any suggestions? Lots of options out there...

It really depends on the interior volume of your backpack. Tenba has fairly reasonable prices and a good array of options:

https://www.tenba.com/en/products/accessories-byob/byob-camera-inserts

Shimoda makes really good inserts too, but they're a more boutique option and they're useless outside of a backpack due to no zipper closure on them (though they can be bought as an accessory).

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

xzzy posted:

It really depends on the interior volume of your backpack. Tenba has fairly reasonable prices and a good array of options:

https://www.tenba.com/en/products/accessories-byob/byob-camera-inserts

Shimoda makes really good inserts too, but they're a more boutique option and they're useless outside of a backpack due to no zipper closure on them (though they can be bought as an accessory).

It's an 18 liter bag, but I don't want to take up the whole thing. Looks like Tenba has quite a few things that'd work well. Thanks!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Tenba's backpacks are fantastic

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks everyone, this is definitely helpful. Good to know before I spend a lot of time looking for something I'll almost certainly not be happy with.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

DJExile posted:

Yeah Tenba's backpacks are fantastic

I love my Fulton. Favorite bag that I've ever had.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
What does everyone recommend for messengers? I really like the Peak Design Everyday Messenger, but it doesn't have a water bottle spot like its main competition and that's actually pretty big for me. I'm leaning towards either the Tenba DNA 15 or the Think Tank Vision 15, anyone have experience with those? Whatever I buy needs to hold a 15" laptop.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
B
I
L
L
I
N
G
H
A
M

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

B
I
L
L
I
N
G
H
A
M

Especially if you want the bag to cost as much as a lens.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

FWIW I added a bottle holster to my Peak Design 10L Sling bag by getting one of these Nite Ize holsters - the clip is the same size as the Peak Design Capture so it attaches to one of the built-in Capture loops on the bag.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I have a couple of lenses that completely lack weather sealing (on an A7R3), and I would like to use them in moodier settings - not in a full-on hurricane, but certainly more than a light drizzle. What do people recommend as an add-on to protect gear from rain?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

theHUNGERian posted:

I have a couple of lenses that completely lack weather sealing (on an A7R3), and I would like to use them in moodier settings - not in a full-on hurricane, but certainly more than a light drizzle. What do people recommend as an add-on to protect gear from rain?

Peak design makes a lens sleeve for this exact purpose. I’m sure there are other similar products. Or you use a ziplock bag if money is super tight.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

holocaust bloopers posted:

Peak design makes a lens sleeve for this exact purpose. I’m sure there are other similar products. Or you use a ziplock bag if money is super tight.

These guys make a more versatile product: https://lenscoat.com/

But there's a big time photography tax on their prices.

But I have their "RainCoat" model and I like it because it has a hole to allow mounting on a tripod and there's plenty of room around the camera body for my hands. But they also have lens specific models.

If you opt for this brand, don't buy the largest and assume it'll work well on all lenses. It will, in the sense that it will keep your gear dry, but all the extra folds of material will drive you crazy.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

These guys make a more versatile product: https://lenscoat.com/

But there's a big time photography tax on their prices.

But I have their "RainCoat" model and I like it because it has a hole to allow mounting on a tripod and there's plenty of room around the camera body for my hands. But they also have lens specific models.

If you opt for this brand, don't buy the largest and assume it'll work well on all lenses. It will, in the sense that it will keep your gear dry, but all the extra folds of material will drive you crazy.

Thanks!

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
Hello gear thread! I would like a recommendation for a camera, and I'm particularly curious if anyone knows of good Cyber Monday deals that might be happening. I see some cameras on Amazon but I'm not sure what this thread thinks of them.

• I'm interested in a Mirrorless with digital viewfinder for my first adjustable lens camera.
  • Budget is $1500 max for base, lens kit, accessories
  • My only current gear is old borrowed crap that nobody wants and a surprisingly adequate cell phone camera
  • I travel frequently for work, so I would like something that is solid for wide natural landscapes and cityscapes but I have also enjoyed doing artistic portraiture in the past and might get into it again.
  • I have purchased some books (such as Understanding Exposure) and have some optics background from a decade ago, but largely I am a giant noob.

I planned to do more research before posting this request but with the possibility of Cyber Monday sales I really wanted to hear if anyone in this thread noticed a good camera opportunity. Thanks in advance!

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

theHUNGERian posted:

Optech makes inexpensive sleeves that work well: https://optechusa.com/rainsleeve.html

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Dr Strangepants posted:

Hello gear thread! I would like a recommendation for a camera, and I'm particularly curious if anyone knows of good Cyber Monday deals that might be happening. I see some cameras on Amazon but I'm not sure what this thread thinks of them.

• I'm interested in a Mirrorless with digital viewfinder for my first adjustable lens camera.
  • My only current gear is old borrowed crap that nobody wants and a surprisingly adequate cell phone camera
  • I travel frequently for work, so I would like something that is solid for wide natural landscapes and cityscapes but I have also enjoyed doing artistic portraiture in the past and might get into it again.
  • I have purchased some books (such as Understanding Exposure) and have some optics background from a decade ago, but largely I am a giant noob.

I planned to do more research before posting this request but with the possibility of Cyber Monday sales I really wanted to hear if anyone in this thread noticed a good camera opportunity. Thanks in advance!

Fuji X-T30 with the 18-55mm lens. BH Photo has this for $1100 with an SD card and some other stuff. Use whatever you saved on another lens, an Adobe photography plan subscription and an extra battery.

The camera and lens are a sensational combo. Small, image stabilized (the lens is anyway), and the image quality is outstanding.

bloops fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 2, 2019

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dakana posted:

Optech makes inexpensive sleeves that work well: https://optechusa.com/rainsleeve.html

I like that company just for shutting down for the holiday weekend.

Are their "hood hats" any good? I bought some silicone rubber lens caps off amazon earlier this year and I was initially thrilled with their function, but they started ripping after a few months. I leave step up rings on my lenses a lot and that makes using stock lens covers fussy. So if I could find something more durable that would be rad.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dr Strangepants posted:

Yep, agreeing with the above goon who mentioned the Fuji X-T30. Grab that and the kit 18-55, spend some time shooting with that combo and seeing what focal lengths you like, and think about the primes after that.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
A used x-t20 and 18-55mm could be half the price of the new x-t30 combo, if you are comfortable buying used. Image quality isn't majorly improved in one generation, and you won't really lose much upgrading later if you want to upgrade or move on.

Fuji is a good choice as the system is well supported with first party lenses. Mico four thirds is the other well supported mirrorless system, and a whole kit of primes and a body can be very affordable on the used market. Smaller sensors and good in body image stabilization, but the whole kit may or may not be smaller than the fuji offerings depending on your choices.

The canon and sony apsc systems don't have the same kind of first party lens support, but still probably have everything you'd need. The canon kit lens is not well regarded, but the wide angle zoom is supposed to be pretty decent, and there is a pancake 22mm, and a set of good primes from sigma. Sony has lots of third party support, including the trio of sigma primes, but their older lenses tend to be pretty lackluster.

Go feel the cameras in person, ergonomics matters a lot.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I tried an A7 III and 100-400 FE at a demo day recently and it felt like the future. This was shortly after failing hard at a Blue Angels show with my 70D and a mediocre telephoto lens -- I felt limited by ISO, AF, and burst but I probably just suck. I don't have a significant investment in Canon glass, so it may be time to switch to mirrorless if I want to start buying faster lenses.

I know this A7R IV is more camera than I need, but it's only $580 more than the A7 III body thanks to the $200 rebate on the lens combo. That's crazy and the 24mpix crop mode sounds cool.

Should I go with what I used and liked, or are there other systems I should be looking at before I pull the trigger? A long telephoto is going to be a priority for me, and I was thinking of the 24-105 f/4 for travel. Outside of travel, it'll be wildlife and aviation.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

KS posted:

A long telephoto is going to be a priority for me, and I was thinking of the 24-105 f/4 for travel. Outside of travel, it'll be wildlife and aviation.

Sony's full frame bodies are fabulous, I don't think anyone would argue with that, but if you're mostly shooting wildlife and air shows, and reach is a priority, then I don't know if a full frame makes a lot of sense. You're going to want reach on reach and a crop body is going to help a lot more with that than a FF. I shoot a ton of wildlife and would rather get closer from the start than have a smaller subject and deal with cropping later then again, I'm lazy as hell so take that for what it's worth :v:

BRW30502 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW71036 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

PA200405 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

These are all with a 300mm lens on a 2x crop body, just a shitload of reach.

I know Dakana runs an A7 of some variety (I think the III) largely for weddings and portraits, but has done some longer reach sports shots too. Lemme get him in here and he can probably give some good insight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

DJExile posted:

Sony's full frame bodies are fabulous, I don't think anyone would argue with that, but if you're mostly shooting wildlife and air shows, and reach is a priority, then I don't know if a full frame makes a lot of sense. You're going to want reach on reach and a crop body is going to help a lot more with that than a FF. I shoot a ton of wildlife and would rather get closer from the start than have a smaller subject and deal with cropping later then again, I'm lazy as hell so take that for what it's worth :v:

These are all with a 300mm lens on a 2x crop body, just a shitload of reach.

I know Dakana runs an A7 of some variety (I think the III) largely for weddings and portraits, but has done some longer reach sports shots too. Lemme get him in here and he can probably give some good insight.

This is a good and valid point. A M43 might be better for your use case. Most of the bodies are still tiny as hell and easy to travel with, and the long telephoto lenses are a ton smaller than you'll get on a FF camera. The Olympus O-MD E-M5 III is the new hotness for small M43 bodies, and will easily fit your budget. Alternatively, you may look at the Panasonic G9. It's a great value for what you get. I would even go one further and say that you could get a brand new Panasonic G7 from Amazon for under $500. It's an excellent camera, with 4K video should you need it, and you can spend the rest on lenses.

I've traveled with small Fujis and Small M43 cameras, and they both travel well.

I would buy used, personally. The camera market is generally pretty safe for buying used. I buy almost all my camera equipment used, and you can usually find a nice bundle of camera and lenses on eBay or SA Mart for a fraction of the price of new. Most photographers take good care of their cameras.