Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

General Dog posted:

If the committee wants to take OU over Utah, then why have they consistently ranked Utah above OU? Why save the swerve for the last minute?

To make Oregon’s win in the PAC 12 championship look more impressive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Emron posted:

Alabama would have gotten blown out in the playoffs by more than they got blown out by last year and this is honestly a blessing in disguise

we already played the best 2 teams in the country and could have very easily beaten them without lovely turnovers

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Something mentioned in passing on the Solid Verbal recap kinda jogged my memory: isn't there some weird quirk about the service academies having like JV squads or practice teams but like not in the way other schools would do it (maybe they play live games against lower-division schools or something)? What am I trying to remember?

Army and Navy both have "Sprint football" teams where all the players have to weigh 178 lbs or less. There are like a dozen other schools that have teams.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

skaboomizzy posted:

Army and Navy both have "Sprint football" teams where all the players have to weigh 178 lbs or less. There are like a dozen other schools that have teams.
Thanks, that sounds like it would be really fun?

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Thermos H Christ posted:

Happy Fire Tim Beck Day, everyone.

Praise jesus

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Raku posted:

we already played the best 2 teams in the country and could have very easily beaten them without lovely turnovers

And my retirement account is just one stock option YOLO away from making me filthy rich.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

G-Hawk posted:

Praise jesus

It hasn't happened yet. BUT!

https://twitter.com/BDavisAAS/status/1201261059388116992

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

General Dog posted:

If the committee wants to take OU over Utah, then why have they consistently ranked Utah above OU? Why save the swerve for the last minute?

the rankings mean nothing

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the rankings mean nothing

Fair enough, but I think people are a lot more :tinfoil: about this than the outcomes have warranted. I think the slight ratings bump a mediocre OU might give them over a mediocre Utah is probably worth giving up just to throw the PAC-12 a bone and keep the peace.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Raku posted:

:laffo:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Raku posted:

Lol

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Raku posted:

This MIGHT be the Bama-est post.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Raku posted:

Frame this poo poo lol

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Raku posted:

Hang the banner

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Pawl if we've woulda playd different we woulda won

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Hang the banner

Lol

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Raku posted:

Sir, I asked if you'd like hashbrowns with your waffles.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Raku posted:

Look its not right to count the spring scrimmage game against yourself as a top 2 win

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Raku posted:

https://twitter.com/AuburnGrad2000/status/1201141762317791238

maybe next time tho

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Spurrier never won in Tallahassee. Rivalry games are a bitch when both teams are good.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school

I was thinking about Auburn/Alabama in terms of the last decade, in the 2010's Alabama lost 15 (i think) games total and 4 of them were to Auburn, which puts the Iron bowl at 6-4 'Bama for the decade.

Considering that Bama just had (and maybe still has) one of the most successful runs in the history of the sport it's actually kind of impressive that Auburn hung with them throughout the decade. Especially moreso considering how meh Auburn has been since 2013.

The obvious comparable would be Ohio State and Michigan, with Ohio State also going through a very successful decade and Michigan being quite good but not great, and uh, well, we know how that's going for Michigan.

In another way it's also kind of annoying because these wins are the only thing keeping Gus afloat and I'm quite ready to move on from him.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Given where the Vols and Hokies were at the end of September I guess I should be rather pleased with this season, and for the Vols I am. The Hokies season while a great response from an soggy open is still really underwhelming and not good enough. Fuente needs to make some room and hire some new guys, defense was happening anyway, but the offense needs it too. He has to find some guys that can really recruit to complement his seeming aversion to it.

preseason predictions posted:

VT Expected Outcome: 8-4/5-3 ACC - I want to say this team can hit 9 wins without much trouble, that's my real expectation, and that's as equally likely as 8, but I'm going to hedge my bets on this one. The offense and defense are better, but not enough to hang with the few better teams on the schedule and I bet we drop a stupid one too since that hasn't changed under Fuente. Beat who we should mostly, and lose to the more talented groups. This is a treading water situation especially with the weakness of the schedule. I think this record heats his seat up a lot with the smoke around the program, and the lack of recruiting traction. It's not enough, but it won't get him fired yet.

UTK Expected Outcome 7-5/4-4 SEC - I would like to think that with a seasoned QB, better O line play and some development/replacement with better talent on defense they could manage a winning record. Lose an OOC game, and split their SEC schedule to a bowl game and extra practices. This should be possible and I want to think they can at least get to here in year 2.

nailed it bitches, Vols sorta over achieved in conference but washed it out by being terrible OOC.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 2, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Something mentioned in passing on the Solid Verbal recap kinda jogged my memory: isn't there some weird quirk about the service academies having like JV squads or practice teams but like not in the way other schools would do it (maybe they play live games against lower-division schools or something)? What am I trying to remember?

Yeah they aren't subject to the same roster limits so they have like 150+ kids on the team at a time and have full on freshman and JV squads, though I don't remember who they play. There are also special prep schools just for the academies that they send kids to.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Oh my god it's happening.

I can't wait to find out who the new coordinators who I'll hate in 2 years are!

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
So the official announcement is that Tim Beck will remain as QB coach at least through the bowl game. I’d be fine with keeping him around as a recruiter/QB coach but his resume is probably way too good for that, right?

Like the fans always dislike him and he is... not great, but even this year I think on paper we had a top 25-ish offense. Someone’s going to make him an OC, right?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Oh my god it's happening.

I can't wait to find out who the new coordinators who I'll hate in 2 years are!

For OC I’m thinking Jason Garrett

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Chad Morris

Search your feelings, you know it to be true

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Shappa posted:

I was thinking about Auburn/Alabama in terms of the last decade, in the 2010's Alabama lost 15 (i think) games total and 4 of them were to Auburn, which puts the Iron bowl at 6-4 'Bama for the decade.

Considering that Bama just had (and maybe still has) one of the most successful runs in the history of the sport it's actually kind of impressive that Auburn hung with them throughout the decade. Especially moreso considering how meh Auburn has been since 2013.

The obvious comparable would be Ohio State and Michigan, with Ohio State also going through a very successful decade and Michigan being quite good but not great, and uh, well, we know how that's going for Michigan.

In another way it's also kind of annoying because these wins are the only thing keeping Gus afloat and I'm quite ready to move on from him.

I clicked through the iron bowl wiki page and it's crazy that you have to go back to 2003 for one where neither team was ranked

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
If it's Kendall Briles I'm gonna pitch a fit

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Raku posted:

I meant to say "one of" the two best teams in the country

I was sick

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

If it's Kendall Briles I'm gonna pitch a fit

Palpatine: “Use my system, I beg you”

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Tatsuta Age posted:

I clicked through the iron bowl wiki page and it's crazy that you have to go back to 2003 for one where neither team was ranked

The Florida/FSU game had a similar streak going from 1987-2010

Red River shootout has an active streak going back to 1999

Ohio State/Michigan has an active streak of that going back to 1988

Nebraska/Oklahoma managed a streak like that from loving 1962-2004 (though they didn't play for 2 years in that span)

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Raku posted:

I was sick

Sure, but also lol at "could have easily beaten them if only the bad things we did were instead good things."

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Raku posted:

I was sick

Your mistake was losing when you should have won.

Good teams win.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Raku posted:

I was sick

Hang the banner

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Addazio fired

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

In the CFP era, Rose Bowl is determined by playoff rankings. Wisconsin is basically out of it no matter what barring a win (lol)

Colaroado got screwed by this a few years ago when they lost in he GC and USC jumped them.

At the time, I was upset about that. But after watching the bowl games, I felt relieved that we didn't get the Rose Bowl. I absolutely despite Penn State & James Franklin and they would have obliterated CU if we played. If they did and Penn State won the Rose Bowl after embarrassing CU, I would have felt sick.... CU was somewhat overrated at end of the season but on top of that, about half our defensive starters were either out for the game with injury or playing with injuries that were bad enough that they shouldn't have been on the field. We would have lost to pretty much anyone we played in that bowl game

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Thermos H Christ posted:

So the official announcement is that Tim Beck will remain as QB coach at least through the bowl game. I’d be fine with keeping him around as a recruiter/QB coach but his resume is probably way too good for that, right?

Like the fans always dislike him and he is... not great, but even this year I think on paper we had a top 25-ish offense. Someone’s going to make him an OC, right?

I get the hate for Tim Beck and he should probably of been fired a year ago but doesnt Herman himself run the offense?

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

Coco13 posted:

Purdue is 4-8 against Ohio State.

Purdue is Ohio State's true rival thank you for listening.

FACTS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

quote:

Should a team from the Big Ten or Pac-12 be selected to go to the College Football Playoff, the Tournament of Roses will traditionally select the next-highest CFP-ranked team from that conference. There is, however, a caveat to that clause in the contract.

“If the next-highest ranked team is in a ‘cluster’ of teams, meaning there is another team or teams from the same conference ranked within several spots of each other, the Tournament of Roses will select the team from that cluster that will result in the best possible matchup for the Rose Bowl Game,” said Rose Bowl Management Committee Chair Scott Jenkins.

In a cluster situation, the Tournament of Roses will take into account factors, in no particular order, such as: the last time a team played in the Rose Bowl Game, head-to-head results, regular season schedule, overall record, opponents played, past playoff or bowl appearances and performance, and historical matchups.

I still say it's going to be Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl.