Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Congratulations to the goons that SOMEHOW saw that coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
This twist is stupid as hell. Yes it was foreshadowed (I mean come on, Cal, and HE'S NO CAL), but what the gently caress, why would Dr. Manhattan come back from gallivanting around the cosmos to be a house husband in Tulsa?

I have to say overall while this episode had some cool things style wise, this was probably the worst so far and I'm not looking forward to a trip down memory lane with not-BIlly-Crudup next week.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

whats the song playing at the end of the ep?

osterman always gotta have a woman, eh? just a hopeless romantic nerd that suddenly got fit and hot and cant stop

this was a great reveal.

so we get our boi manhattan back for a bit, and he maybe dies but hopefully angela and triue stop super mecha racist from becoming

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

also cal, superman, etc

Nail Rat posted:

This twist is stupid as hell. Yes it was foreshadowed (I mean come on, Cal, and HE'S NO CAL), but what the gently caress, why would Dr. Manhattan come back from gallivanting around the cosmos to be a house husband in Tulsa?

don't be so pesitmistic we'll see duh just shut up.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
between Hooded Justice and Doc Manhattan I’m starting to wonder if all super heroes are secretly black.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The song is Life on Mars? by David Bowie.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Yeah, I think it's fine. You have to remember now that Hooded Justice wasn't loving around when he said he was Dr. Manhattan. This was always about trying to get to Dr. Manhattan.

Also, under-appreciated, Hooded Justice gets Superman's origin. Angela's gets Batman's, but Zorro is replaced by a Pamela Greer-esque movie. And that is fantastic.

Also my prediction for the end: Joe gets transformed but just becomes a gross abomination. The big reveal is that it's not just the accident. Jon was an uniquely impressive individual for being able to put himself back together... something the book supports. The White Supremacist tries to live out his fantasies of being objectively superior only to have it objectively proven to him that the Jewish-Now-Black Dr. Manhattan is better than him.

EDIT: I also like how the show inverses the expectations. People are pretty much who you end up expecting they are or who they are. Will really was the murderer. Lady T really is trying to save the world. Judd was a white supremacist.

Angela is ostensively our Rorschach in that she's our point of view character. And it's her who has the big reveal that she's hiding something.,

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 2, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

FishBowlRobot posted:

Can’t believe the huge twist that Will Reeves isn’t a black man, and has instead been an elephant in disguise this whole time.

An elephant never forgets.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

I said it in more detail last page, but I think this is a different Manhattan who never went to the cosmos. He could split himself into multiples and did during Vietnam, with one becoming Cal. The Trieu's mom clones, Europa clones, and Mirror Guy's ex's pet cloning business were all foreshadowing. Also how we'll probably soon have competing Manhattans.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yeah, I think it's fine. You have to remember now that Hooded Justice wasn't loving around when he said he was Dr. Manhattan. This was always about trying to get to Dr. Manhattan.

Also, under-appreciated, Hooded Justice gets Superman's origin. Angela's gets Batman's, but Zorro is replaced by a Pamela Greer-esque movie. And that is fantastic.

Also my prediction for the end: Joe gets transformed but just becomes a gross abomination. The big reveal is that it's not just the accident. Jon was an uniquely impressive individual for being able to put himself back together... something the book supports. The White Supremacist tries to live out his fantasies of being objectively superior only to have it objectively proven to him that the Jewish-Now-Black Dr. Manhattan is better than him.

i just hope we get to see some Chuds explode into gore farts like the OG rorschach.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

We never saw what happened to Will, did we? There has to be some kind of reveal coming up with that too.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The "she's my mother" twist was really fun, though.

The perfect grandma lady dying before she even got Angela to Tulsa was kinda stupid in my opinion, and not in a "trap door in the living room" way, it just felt shallow.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Nail Rat posted:

Is Lady Trieu harvesting Angela's memory?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
So. with just two episodes left and the next episode seemingly a flashback to younger Angela and Dr M meeting just what the gently caress of relevance could Veidt possibly do in this show that is going to justify him hanging around one scene per ep this whole time?

Timeless Appeal posted:

Refresh my memory, what did Will say about Dr M?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

This is what I thought. A cure for a drug about memory having to do with an elephant is too fun to not use as a joke

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

Waiiit wait wait... whats the jump people are saying Hooded Justice is manhattan? I didn't see that leap in episode. Will is just will, cal was secretly a vessle for dr manhattan to hang out in. not to gloat but told ya'll he could figure out a way if he wanted

Timeless Appeal posted:

yea lol at keene thinkin he is smart enough to know how to reconstruct himself... or maybe he is? maybe he studied it?

double lol at the "if keene wants to ride into the white house i say let him"

Nail Rat posted:

ah, gently caress

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Super exited for Mirror Guy's triumphant return.

Also now that everyone's snarky FBI agent is captured it is up to her trusty sidekick Lube Guy to save her.

Hopefully these two events happen simultaneously.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

That sounds about right, yeah. It's his watchmaking experience that let him reassemble himself. Keene never learned how to do poo poo other than be a spoiled politician's kid.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The perfect grandma lady dying before she even got Angela to Tulsa was kinda stupid in my opinion, and not in a "trap door in the living room" way, it just felt shallow.

This part I thought was fine, it underscored Angela's trauma. After all, June was in her 60s and the way the scene was framed, to me, made it clear she wasn't making it into the cab.

quote:

So. with just two episodes left and the next episode seemingly a flashback to younger Angela and Dr M meeting just what the gently caress of relevance could Veidt possibly do in this show that is going to justify him hanging around one scene per ep this whole time?

You know what gently caress it, I'm leaning all the way in on this. For some reason the clones coat Ozy in gold and shoot him on a rocket of some kind (powered by steam and/or corpse gas?) and he crash lands in Tulsa sometime in the year before this show. That's really him in the statue. Trieu has been harvesting his memories for some kind of breakthrough she needs for the clock.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 2, 2019

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

Waiiit wait wait... whats the jump people are saying Hooded Justice is manhattan? I didn't see that leap in episode. Will is just will, cal was secretly a vessle for dr manhattan to hang out in. not to gloat but told ya'll he could figure out a way if he wanted
What i mean is that when Will claims he's Dr. Manhattan and implies that Dr. Manhattan could disguise himself as a human, it's because he probably already knew about Angela. It wasn't some random bullshit he was saying. He was goading her.

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

Nail Rat posted:

I get the impression that they were harvesting her memories there.
Dr.M reveal was good. His existence in the universe is too big for the show to not have him be a pivotal part of the plot.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

That sounds about right, yeah. It's his watchmaking experience that let him reassemble himself. Keene never learned how to do poo poo other than be a spoiled politician's kid.

He did get his cult to obsess over clocks.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'm relieved that the 7k is in fact racist and terrible and that it wasn't just some sort of cover

Timeless Appeal posted:

What i mean is that when Will claims he's Dr. Manhattan and implies that Dr. Manhattan could disguise himself as a human, it's because he probably already knew about Angela. It wasn't some random bullshit he was saying. He was goading her.

Gotcha, right, just wnated to make sure I wasn't misisng some other connection you were making. I suggested dr manhattan could disguse himself way back and took heat for it

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

This is gonna go down as either the greatest or stupidest first season in television history.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Seen on Twitter: Dr. Manhattan is walking around on Earth incognegro

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I liked that delivery and again the show not bullshitting us with wasting our time. The trap door was a lot of fun.

motherbox posted:

This is gonna go down as either the greatest or stupidest first season in television history.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Basically the next episode has to sell this plot point well enough to justify something so pivotal having so little set-up (if Cal's "amnesia" was mentioned before tonight in more than a single throwaway line, it went past me), while also finally giving us an answer on what the hell is going on with Veidt, and that's a pretty tall order even for a show that has reached the highs that this one has.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I want to kind of push what I was saying before... Watchmen is a whodunit where everyone just tells you what's going on. The murderer in the inciting incident admits what he did from the jump. Watchmen is weird, but everything is surprisingly straight forward.

But the big dramatic question is basically: Why Angela? Why was she being sought out from the get go? The Manhattan reveal makes sense when you realize that the magic trick of the show is that it essentially misdirected you from the actual question.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I knew Cal was going to be some kind of double because he played the dad in Us. :shuckyes:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Basically the next episode has to sell this plot point well enough to justify something so pivotal having so little set-up (if Cal's "amnesia" was mentioned before tonight in more than a single throwaway line, it went past me), while also finally giving us an answer on what the hell is going on with Veidt, and that's a pretty tall order even for a show that has reached the highs that this one has.

As much as I hate this twist, Cal having an "accident" was mentioned before ("Did she ask you about your accident?" "Didn't come up."). I feel like for that, that's enough foreshadowing. They don't need to say amnesia three times. You know there was an accident and it was in some way life altering.

When Trieu mentioned Dr. M was in Tulsa pretending to be human so shortly after talking about "total amnesia, huh, that never happens" and goaded Angela over his identity, I knew, I loving knew, but I was hoping I'd be wrong because the twist is dumb.

Why couldn't it have been Lube Man?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

beanieson posted:

He’s almost certainly Trieu’s father but I agree that he doesn’t really fit the tone of the main story and it would be stupid to have him and Trieu super-sciencing and bickering while trying to stop Keene. She’s probably going to do something sadistic to him and maybe he is actually the statue in the garden.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Revol posted:

Seen on Twitter: Dr. Manhattan is walking around on Earth incognegro

Oh my god I felt bad for laughing at this.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

You know what gently caress it, I'm leaning all the way in on this. For some reason the clones coat Ozy in gold and shoot him on a rocket of some kind (powered by steam and/or corpse gas?) and he crash lands in Tulsa sometime in the year before this show. That's really him in the statue. Trieu has been harvesting his memories for some kind of breakthrough she needs for the clock.

Maybe the clock is to change him back? Like hey, Veidt is probably a guy you want on your side to save the world, even if his methods might seem terrible.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Also put me down for Veidt being the statue so that people can gaze upon him and despair, and for the the D being "Dr. Trieu."

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

poo poo maybe Hooded Justice is actually Veidt in disguise.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
this show is so dumb lol

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Nail Rat posted:

As much as I hate this twist, Cal having an "accident" was mentioned before ("Did she ask you about your accident?" "Didn't come up."). I feel like for that, that's enough foreshadowing. They don't need to say amnesia three times. You know there was an accident and it was in some way life altering.

This was the one line that I had almost completely forgotten about but had always been nagging me.
...I'm still really skeptical that they're gonna make "the main character is Hooded Justice's granddaughter (oh also Dr. Manhattan is pretending to be her husband)" Not Dumb.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So women with secret superhero sires is Jon’s very specific kink, huh

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lmao

https://twitter.com/yahya/status/1201345822853652480?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does Dr. Manhattan experience all time at once, or just his own lifetime?