Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

poo poo, just buy the S-Launcher as soon as possible from the Nexus so you don't have to refuel any future ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

Instead of paying for slots, buy haulers at the station and scrap them. You lose like 500k a shot but some give you two augmentation tokens which give you slots. Shame I didn’t mention this before you blew 300 mil

Nah, I already knew that. One of my old ships that I scrapped had an inventory upgrade slot. I just got greedy, is all. (I think it's the knowledge that my dumb industry crafting bases churn out the equivalent of 60-90 million credits for each day I care enough to log in and empty the silos, so it's not as I'm in any danger of becoming space poor again.)

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I destroyed a depot with my ship and got the 'no free slots in ship inventory' warning, but instead of vanishing, the excess went to my suit inventory. Is that new? Loving this new patch..

Also

Powershift posted:

ignore drop pods, drop pods suck.

Counterpoint: once you get the Nomad (the nomad exo is awesome, don't bother with any others), and get the upgraded scanner, you can scan for drop pods for FREE. I'm pretty sure that 40 oxygen, 45 sodium nitrate, 55 ionized cobalt (get this from breaking down the cobalt stuff you get from grabbing underground relics), and 1 antimatter (25 chromatic metal, 20 condensed carbon) is far more cost efficient than paying 500k-1mil+ whatever for cargo slots past 4 or so. Buy mats from a trade station for about 10-20+, then go land on a planet, summon exo, scan for drop pod, fly over there with your ship, grab slot, summon exo, repeat. If you get a good planet, you can loving spam the drop pod scans and never get a single duplicate.

edit: holy gently caress I just got an S-ranked thermal (hot) protection module from a damaged machinery. and an A-rank movement module from the next. I'm exploring a hot planet so both of those were amazing finds.

edit 2: and an S-ranked toxin protection module from a machinery just now. yeahhhh. saving those early game nanites for real stuff.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 30, 2019

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
There's something to be said for biodomes now. There's a new ceiling console in the center that harvests every plant into your inventory. As long as you only have one door into them they're more power-efficient than the big planters, too.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

There's something to be said for biodomes now. There's a new ceiling console in the center that harvests every plant into your inventory. As long as you only have one door into them they're more power-efficient than the big planters, too.

Holy S this patch is trolling me so hard

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So is the best get-rich-quick scheme still the scanner bonus method?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So is the best get-rich-quick scheme still the scanner bonus method?

Not sure, but if you can find a salvageable scrap planet, the loot stuff sells for 150k to 2.7 million depending on rarity. common is 150-300k, uncommon 700-900k and rare 1.5mil to 2.7mil+. I made about 30 million in a few hours of nomading around while grabbing drop pods and whatnot at the same time. If you also grab upgrade modules, they're 50k each and you get 3-4 from each dig assuming it doesn't vanish when dug.. seems to be a new bug with them.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Ambaire posted:

Not sure, but if you can find a salvageable scrap planet, the loot stuff sells for 150k to 2.7 million depending on rarity. common is 150-300k, uncommon 700-900k and rare 1.5mil to 2.7mil+. I made about 30 million in a few hours of nomading around while grabbing drop pods and whatnot at the same time. If you also grab upgrade modules, they're 50k each and you get 3-4 from each dig assuming it doesn't vanish when dug.. seems to be a new bug with them.

I did this with dino bones (forget the proper name, maybe Ancient Relics?) and it worked real well. Not sure if it's the most efficient, but I can vouch that it is effective. The feeling I get is that it's best to do the one that sounds the most fun.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Azathoth posted:

I did this with dino bones (forget the proper name, maybe Ancient Relics?) and it worked real well. Not sure if it's the most efficient, but I can vouch that it is effective. The feeling I get is that it's best to do the one that sounds the most fun.

Ancient bones, yeah. Scrap is more space efficient so you can get more before doing a trip to sell, but yeah whatever you find the most fun. Scrap requires mining stuff and occasionally it spawns corrupted sentinels that plink at you but won't follow and can't comprehend exocraft. It also gives a supply of ferrite dust which I've been refining and crafting the advanced ion batteries on the fly. Suit refiner is so loving good...

So it seems bases can be built on top of trade outposts complete with teleporters. I just tried taking the teleport to the station and back and it works great. Gonna take advantage of it for the salvage ship shuffle.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Okay am I a dumbass but where or what is the new suit refiner??

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's a technology recipe in the Nexus for nanites. You buy it there then build it. There's a bunch of new recipes in the old non-building terminals.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

precision posted:

Okay am I a dumbass but where or what is the new suit refiner??

Images are almost always more helpful than words ;)

edit: this is of course assuming you know how to summon the Space Anomaly and where the 4 iteration research people are.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 1, 2019

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

things i have recently ridden

things i did not ride

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ambaire posted:

Images are almost always more helpful than words ;)

edit: this is of course assuming you know how to summon the Space Anomaly and where the 4 iteration research people are.

You know, if you have to use a slot to install the tech for the personal refiner, there's not much reason to use it over the portable refiner, since that one also needs a slot for carrying it around.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It has a pretty big plus in that it does the exact same job without needing to be placed into the world.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

It has a pretty big plus in that it does the exact same job without needing to be placed into the world.

If that includes working in stations, I'm all over it!

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Libluini posted:

If that includes working in stations, I'm all over it!

It works everywhere. In stations, while you're flying in your ship, while you're driving an exocraft around, everywhere. I've been taking advantage of it for endless condensed carbon for my Nomad. No downtime, just shoot a few trees and then continue exploring while i make more fuel.

Ghostlight posted:

things i did not ride

I'm not sure how one would even ride this thing:

edit: not sure why I didn't use photo mode for the snip

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 1, 2019

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Ambaire posted:

ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Ambaire posted:

don't lie.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Saw the new update and decided to hop back in after being away since...the patch that added the story stuff. I had a mod that made jetpacking and running near infinite or recharge super fast, are there any that still work that do that sort of thing in the new update? There was also one that made flora like 5x bigger but I don't know if I'll need that one just yet. Not sure I like the tutorialization right now with building a wooden shack that...has an interdimensional teleporter in it, but most other things seem pretty neat additions.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Thought I would share my latest base abomination, the recreation of Mario Circuit 1 from SNES Super Mario Kart:

It took a bit of trial and error to get the track to feel like actual version, but the fact that the SNES version is all based on grid squares really helped a lot. I tried a few different approaches to the off track gravel on the SNES version, including actual terrain, but eventually settled on the random connected roof pattern because I ran up against the terrain edit limit when trying to use real terrain, and it kept disappearing. It works surprisingly well at mimicking the slowdown of driving over the gravel and the way I sunk it beneath the track level also means that sight lines aren't interfered with.

I also added in an underground garage big enough to fit the Colossus and all of the other exocraft, and made the access to the whole thing as unobtrusive as possible with that little hut at the bottom of the ramp.

I know the coloration is all wrong, my next project is to make it suitably 90s video game garish.

Uppa
Nov 23, 2002

So because I'm a sucker for punishment, I started a new game with this patch. I found a crashed ship not long afterwards, and restored it enough to get it flying. I'm trying to salvage it at the space station, and it insisted I needed at least 6 open inventory slots to do so (for what?). So I freed up 6, then 7, then 10 inventory slots, and while it stopped telling me I need 6 inventory slots, specifically, it just keeps telling me I don't have enough inventory slots. Can anyone clue me in to what I'm missing?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

When you scrap a ship you will at least get an item that you can use to increase the storage of another ship, one or more technology modules, plus the "scrap value" it lists isn't given to you in actual units but trade items with that value.

I'm also assuming it's not your only ship - because last expansion there's a weird bug where "not enough inventory slots" was the default error message and when you attempted to salvage a base but there were no items to salvage you got that instead of one that told you there was nothing there, and it's possible that if it's your only ship it's trying to tell you that you can't melt your last ship.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Ambaire posted:

A quick count suggests around 10 people could ride that thing.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Ghostlight posted:

When you scrap a ship you will at least get an item that you can use to increase the storage of another ship, one or more technology modules, plus the "scrap value" it lists isn't given to you in actual units but trade items with that value.

Not true. I scrapped 6 550k ships and 1 2mil ship and I only got 2 inventory expansion items, and I think both of them came from the 2mil.

So I managed to soft brick my save last night somehow. The science guy mission bugged out and never let me talk to him again after I brought his intelligence core back from the hook up mission, and then a different mission also bugged out and refused to complete. Guess I'm starting another new save (RIP 17 hours) and making regular backups once I start the base building missions.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 2, 2019

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Roughly an hour into the second save, still in the starting system and before I construct my first base, I find this. That'll do game, that'll do very nicely. I never found anything over C class or 20ish slots in my prior one. And I can just barely afford it with an exchange thanks to some ancient bones.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

SynthesisAlpha posted:

A quick count suggests around 10 people could ride that thing.

10 people or a single demon huntress.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

I like how you can choose which maps to buy now. I'm playing ship salvage life right now as I work on making my way towards the core. Use a distress signal map in each system, if it's a beacon or observatory go check it out, otherwise warp to the next system. Crashed ships are pretty rare, but finding one is a nice salvage profit. It costs almost nothing to fix the landing gear, pulse engine and shield to get it back to the station. Last ship I found was a hauler that salvaged for 8 mil plus gave a storage upgrade item that I used on my main ship (which would have cost 60 mil to add a slot).

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I hope they extend the same courtesy to multi-tools.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I found and claimed a crashed ship early on and fixed some of the parts but not all of them, saved with plans to fix the rest later, and when I logged in again it was gone. Is it just vanished forever or is it in some hidden ship inventory now

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

I found and claimed a crashed ship early on and fixed some of the parts but not all of them, saved with plans to fix the rest later, and when I logged in again it was gone. Is it just vanished forever or is it in some hidden ship inventory now

Do you have a freighter yet? If not, it will appear in your freighter once you get one. If you do, warp to a new system, that seems to trigger the game to check what should be in your freighter. You can go right back to the original system afterwards, if you want.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I only just got to the nexus so no freighter or anything yet. Good to know I didn't just piss away all those materials I guess.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

I only just got to the nexus so no freighter or anything yet. Good to know I didn't just piss away all those materials I guess.

Yeah, I had the same thing happen to me. I would highly recommend focusing on getting a freighter. It's exceptionally useful not just for this.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah you have a hidden inventory of up to 5 ships. In that pop up menu thing (on PC you press 'X' to bring up the menu, not sure what the button on console is), one of options under summon vehicle is to summon one of your other ships and you'll see it there.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh I know, just getting the hang of the newer additions before getting into the grind for a freighter and such again. Though it certainly seems a bit easier than before, being able to get a decent multitool really early with a bunch of S-and-A-tier upgrades from damaged technology certainly helps. Though the power of the jetpack upgrades despite being super high grade don't really improve the lifespan of it much, so if any of you hear about an updated mod for jetpack lifespan/sprinting length please let me know.

I can't believe they still have the dynamic jetpack length based on speed traveled thing in the game, they put that in to prevent people from punch-jumping everywhere but all it means is the punch jumps last less time since it's still the fastest method of jetpacking.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

For some minor annoyance the icon for Explorer and Mercenary reputation are switched.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I guess that was their fix for the reward displays being switched all the way through Beyond.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Picked this up recently to play co-op mostly and I was wondering if there's a way to minimize some of the base building jank we've seen.

We had two cases yesterday of NMS merging both player's perceptions of a world when someone visited. My friend got away lightly with some indoor woodland but my base, that's been partially cut in to a hill, decided it was Pompei and had to be re-excavated. :stonklol:

Both times we'd teleported in to each other's home system but hadn't gone via the Nexus teleport. Is that what we should have done or is it all just a case of :that'sNMS:?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It seems like every major patch they increase the max size limit for stuff, I had a planet with trees that were literally about 100 feet tall and pulsing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I decided to get Emeril from an airless moon this time, and it seems a tricked out Nomad can do some CRAZY jumps and get sick air time...

takeoff

just sailing off

not sure how high I am in this snip.

this is why i love the hover exocraft

bonus: loadout

Wheeeeeeee

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 2, 2019