Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Angepain posted:

The queen should fake her own death every now and then so we all get a holiday. She'd be able to get away with it a few times i think

drat, I was sure she'd let this play out long enough that she could duck The Orange One.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/02/queen-not-dead-rumours-spread-whatsapp-group-11253219/

Also someone stole the Gibbo lied line word for word out of mind, get out of my brainspace.

The tory response to public fear stirred up by a terror attack: Uhm, buy some twitter adverts I guess?

https://twitter.com/TerrorismPolice/status/1200776110780407808?s=19

(This was a promoted tweet)

E: The tories made Brenda talk about 22 of their farcical policies shortly before they shut down parliament. Again.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/queens-speech-2019-full-22-20574877

RockyB fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

He signed the letter saying he isn't voting labour due to anti-Semitism in the guardian.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

RockyB posted:

The tory response to public fear stirred up by a terror attack: Uhm, buy some twitter adverts I guess?

https://twitter.com/TerrorismPolice/status/1200776110780407808?s=19
I saw a man with a beard and foreign looking baggy clothing handing out suspicious boxes to children this weekend. :ohdear:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1201511106365345792

35%

10 days to go

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

If you see suspicious packages under a tree that weren't there the night before, call the bomb squad.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jose posted:

He signed the letter saying he isn't voting labour due to anti-Semitism in the guardian.

Not to mention is a ardent supporter of the Lib Dems so surprise surprise he's pushing LABUR ANTISEMATE

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Tesseraction posted:

Not to mention is a ardent supporter of the Lib Dems so surprise surprise he's pushing LABUR ANTISEMATE

former lib dem candidate even lol. he's completely insane ofc

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*pushes the cameraman to hide the monitor on the left from view*

"marvellous breasts on this one"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I disagee with this:

https://twitter.com/Noahpinion/status/1201204575971102722

Because it relies on the assumption that "supporters of israel" means "jewish" when uh, that's definitely not what I think of when I think of supporters of israel. I think psychotic, probably christian, warmongering shitheads. And I definitely think that they are a bad influence on our democracy, have a massive amount of sway with the media, and wouldn't want to spend any time around them.

Yeah that's the point he's making. It heavily infers that any opposition to Israel is antisemitic in order to get the proof they want.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

"ah tell yuu tha' wee cun' jonssun show'is face here, i'll rip his wee fookin' baws off"

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

*pushes the cameraman to hide the monitor on the left from view*

"marvellous breasts on this one"

I am so sick of thrillers always relying on the same tropes. An establishing shot of evil bureaucrats surveilling the public has been done to death! And stop making your bad guys look so smug all the time! Give your audience some credit!

:nallears:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Really wonder what it takes to wipe the smirk of Patel's face though.

A Palestinian with all their limbs intact?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

"ah tell yuu tha' wee cun' jonssun show'is face here, i'll rip his wee fookin' baws off"

Corbyn has the air of a mob boss making sure his pet politician does as he's told :D

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

Yeah that's the point he's making. It heavily infers that any opposition to Israel is antisemitic in order to get the proof they want.

That's his overall point but unless I am misreading it he agrees with the study that those statements are antisemitic, which I do not.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Braggart posted:

Corbyn has the air of a mob boss making sure his pet politician does as he's told :D

"G'wan Leonard gently caress 'im up proper yeh, show this muppet how you northern types do bespoke gender reassignment on the cheap."

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Tesseraction posted:

LOL Corbyn making the same face everyone in Scotland does when Richard Murphy Leonard Murphy Richard Leonard appears

God I wish scotlab wasn't shite they'd be doing really well now if so.
I'm voting for them anyway but it sucks my local MP is the same ancient old twat whose lost like 3 times in a row now. Scotlab had a choice to stay losing as the old boys club or kick out the trash and win and they chose the former.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

That's his overall point but unless I am misreading it he agrees with the study that those statements are antisemitic, which I do not.

I believe his point is it's not unreasonable to suspect someone agreeing with that statement to have some anti-Semitism in their attitude, while also noting that because it says 'supporters' it's ambiguous.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

"G'wan Leonard gently caress 'im up proper yeh, show this muppet how you northern types do bespoke gender reassignment on the cheap."
"Gender is a social construct and anyone should be allow t' self define."
*TERFs melt into a puddle*

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Really wonder what it takes to wipe the smirk of Patel's face though.

A Palestinian with all their limbs intact?

I mean look at that image. It's so obvious that the twist will be that Patel betrays Johnson and becomes the true antagonist in the third act. Did they have to make it so obvious that she is evil and he is an oaf? And the level of racism that Johnson shows is downright unrealistic! I'm so tired of the stereotypes about British characters in American films :nallears:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

I believe his point is it's not unreasonable to suspect someone agreeing with that statement to have some anti-Semitism in their attitude, while also noting that because it says 'supporters' it's ambiguous.

I would suggest particularly from a labour perspective, and especially if the respondent had disagreed with a previous anti-jewish sentiment, it's quite likely that they are taking the anti-interventionist position.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

Braggart posted:

Quintus Fabius Maximus Verrucosus swapped the last name for Cunctator after successfully frustrating Hannibal's campaigning in Italy. The old name meant approximately "warty-face-guy" and the second meant "the delayer" because he refused to fight battles and instead shadowed the Carthaginians, allowing Rome time to recover from their recent enormous defeats to Hannibal. I think that's a pretty good cognomen upgrade ;)

He owns because his tactics were completely correct but hated by the masses who called him an indecisive coward, leading to Fabius getting replaced by Varro and then leading directly to the battle of Cannae. You know, Hannibal's greatest victory.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Her Dryer posted:

He owns because his tactics were completely correct but hated by the masses who called him an indecisive coward, leading to Fabius getting replaced by Varro and then leading directly to the battle of Cannae. You know, Hannibal's greatest victory.

Yes. He withstood all the screaming from people who desperately wanted him to do something else but were wrong. He stuck to his plans no matter how unpopular it made him, and was in the end vindicated.

A very impressive person, was Fabius Corbynus Jezza :hist101:

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

quote:

EU chief issues Brexit warning over City of London access
Dombrovskis says UK could be cut out if it diverges from Brussels standards

The EU’s financial services chief has warned that Brussels is ready to cut off the City of London’s post-Brexit market access in a sign of the pressure Britain will face to stay closely aligned with European rules after it leaves the bloc. 

Valdis Dombrovskis told the Financial Times that Brussels was willing to grant the UK access through a system of “equivalence” decisions that are already used by banks and brokers in other countries such as Singapore and the US.

But he said that the European Commission would be especially vigilant in checking that British rules for ensuring financial stability and protecting consumers remained aligned to the EU’s own standards, and would act decisively in the event of any lapses. 

Access will depend on Britain “not starting to engage in some kind of deregulation”, said Mr Dombrovskis, one of the new commission’s three executive vice-presidents. “The more systemically important the market is for the EU, the more we import potential risks, [and] the closer the regulatory alignment that is expected.”

With the UK in the middle of a general election campaign that will possibly decide the fate of Brexit, Brussels is already preparing for the difficult negotiations to come on the future trading relationship.

[If a country] is either diverging from EU legislation, or not following up EU legislation, in this case the equivalence determination can also be withdrawn

The UK prime minister Boris Johnson has said he will not extend a standstill transition period — which runs up to the end of next December — negotiated as part of his withdrawal treaty with the EU. He has vowed to secure a new trade deal with the EU by that date, a timeline seen by his political opponents as unrealistic.

Mr Johnson has already hinted at British attempts to secure extensive EU market access for UK industries while nonetheless diverging from the bloc’s rules, something EU chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier has warned could lead to “dumping” that damages European industries. 

While financial services are critical to the UK’s services-based economy, Mr Dombrovskis’ comments nevertheless underline Brussels’ wariness about the EU’s continued reliance on London as its major financial centre.

They also reflect the bloc’s broader insistence that its future trading relationship with Britain must be based on a “level playing field” that prevents either side chopping away at regulations to gain a competitive advantage. 

Brussels successfully rebuffed British attempts during the Brexit negotiations to secure permanent access rights for financial services that could at least partly replace the single market passport that UK-based firms will lose after Britain leaves. 

Mr Johnson’s exit deal with the EU acknowledges that future UK access will have to be based on equivalence decisions, which are entirely in the EU’s gift and which the bloc can decide unilaterally to revoke. The system does not require other countries to directly apply EU rules, but to have standards of comparable rigour. 

Around 40 different equivalence provisions are scattered across the EU’s financial services laws, dealing with everything from the ability of Europe’s companies to use clearing houses, stock exchanges and critical market benchmarks based outside the bloc, to the rights of non-EU brokerages to offer trading services throughout the union.

Mr Dombrovskis, who will have sweeping responsibilities for economic and financial policymaking in the new commission, said that “it shouldn’t be overly difficult” for Britain to qualify for equivalence, seeing as “currently the UK is applying EU financial sector legislation.”

But if a country “is either diverging from EU legislation, or not following up EU legislation, in this case the equivalence determination can also be withdrawn”, he said. “It means that the UK should stay closely aligned with the EU.”

He noted that Brussels this summer had withdrawn equivalence from several countries’ credit-ratings agencies because laws there had not kept pace with EU rulemaking. 

Despite Brussels’ tough stance, it has acted upon warnings from the European Central Bank and the Bank of England that the sudden loss of certain key market access rights could wreak havoc upon the financial system, leading it to put in place contingency measures to cope with a no-deal Brexit. 

Brussels to Boris: We will break your loving neck if you think you can undercut us. Also, that'll be to the benefit of the EU financial centres in Frankfurt, Amsterdam and Paris so alright.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Braggart posted:

Quintus Fabius Maximus Verrucosus swapped the last name for Cunctator after successfully frustrating Hannibal's campaigning in Italy. The old name meant approximately "warty-face-guy" and the second meant "the delayer" because he refused to fight battles and instead shadowed the Carthaginians, allowing Rome time to recover from their recent enormous defeats to Hannibal. I think that's a pretty good cognomen upgrade ;)

It'll always amuse me that you can tell the Roman elite were not that much different from our own Etonian morons. so may of their names are insults.

You can just imagine Boris going something along the lines of this.

"You see, Wartface, Hairy, Littleboots and I were all down at the club thinking about how we could best keep these plebs in line. whot whot"
(Verrucosius, Ceaser, Caligula.)

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

It'll always amuse me that you can tell the Roman elite were not that much different from our own Etonian morons. so may of their names are insults.

You can just imagine Boris going something along the lines of this.

"You see, Wartface, Hairy, Littleboots and I were all down at the club thinking about how we could best keep these plebs in line. whot whot"
(Verrucosius, Ceaser, Caligula.)

Perhaps The Spectator was right after all...

And I believe it's 'quid quid' ;)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

My own name is apparently Gaelic for Crooked Nose which is cool.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Anti-Semitic to the name.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/nickcohen4/status/1201430125612609536

Wrong kind of Jew, says Cohen the Gentile.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1201524156598239233

Yes, yes, don't trust poles and only look at the changes between poles. But when the poles tell you we're doing 7% better than 2017...

E: loving hell, there's no way he isn't going to get sued by Branston

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1201522329421045760

RockyB fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 2, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Don't think a guy called Cohen is a gentile.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

RockyB posted:

Yes, yes, don't trust poles and only look at the changes between poles. But when the poles tell you we're doing 7% better than 2017...

Now now lad, Lukasz has shown himself plenty trustworthy

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Don't think a guy called Cohen is a gentile.

Now now, no stereotyping on names. That said yes he is Jewish and a massive fan of Arab death.

Those two things are presumably unrelated, but he still supports the war in Iraq.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RockyB posted:

You can't trust the polls. But when the same people using the same methodology are telling you two different things at the same corresponding time, then you can draw a conclusion.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I don’t see Corbyn staying above water in this environment.

https://twitter.com/ZubyMusic/status/1201518570779414528?s=20

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Labour poo poo posting is on a whole new level now
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1201522329421045760?s=21

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Depends if they are using the same methodology mind, also gently caress knows how this is gonna shake out per-constituency lol.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

And we only lost by 2% last time. Feeling good babe!

Since talking about Labour with my family I have been having some interesting conversations recently - today was about the death penalty - but it has felt quite good to talk about political stuff and revisit old arguments I was having 10 years ago on other forums.

It's all coming back to me now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nonsense posted:

I don’t see Corbyn staying above water in this environment.

https://twitter.com/ZubyMusic/status/1201518570779414528?s=20

https://twitter.com/ZubyMusic/status/1100348562041462784

Yeah man this guy seems like he'd be such a natural labour supporter.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Now now, no stereotyping on names. That said yes he is Jewish and a massive fan of Arab death.

Those two things are presumably unrelated, but he still supports the war in Iraq.

He had a Jewish grandfather and has been secular his entire life, he's cynically started to pick it up as an identity more recently though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Now now lad, Lukasz has shown himself plenty trustworthy

I was talking about the Gibbo kinda poles.

I just can't get over how vicious that railways video is. Ten more days yet, let's see the take on Musk the Great White Electric Car Climate Change Saviour.