Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Walmart has the Series 3 for $129 in their Black Friday ad this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Walmart has the Series 3 for $129 in their Black Friday ad this year.

That’s a hell of a deal.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I have a 3. It’s really cool and good and does anything I need it to

Siri sucks but I assume that’s all of ‘em

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I'm thinking I'm gonna upgrade my alumnium 3 to a 5 soon. Really wanting that always on display.

Not sure if I should maybe go with stainless or titanium this time around.

I swear I remember seeing something about the vibrations being either more or less noticeable on the different models at some point. Is that still the case?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The vibrations on my 5 are way better than my 3, and they aren’t nearly as audible. Which is good.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Went from a s2 stainless steel to s5 titanium. Can’t tell difference between vibration but I can with weight.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

101 posted:

I'm thinking I'm gonna upgrade my alumnium 3 to a 5 soon. Really wanting that always on display.

Not sure if I should maybe go with stainless or titanium this time around.

Did the same and had the same thoughts, I almost pulled the trigger on a stainless steel but I'm glad I went with the aluminum.

With the slimmer case and larger screen to body ratio it just doesn't look like a chunk of aluminum on your wrist that I would particularly want to upgrade.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I have a 3. It’s really cool and good and does anything I need it to

Siri sucks but I assume that’s all of ‘em

I dunno, she works well enough for me. I mostly set reminders and alarms with her.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I've searched around but can't find an answer I'm confident in: I've ordered a new iPhone and would prefer to set it up as a new device. Can I do this and still keep my Apple Watch data (I've got a good streak going) or is it all tied up in a way I can only get back by setting up the new phone from a backup?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
When I got my iPhone replaced I lost all my Activity progress because I didn’t know I was supposed to unpair (and thus backup) my Watch. This may have changed since then but it’s better to be safe than sorry I guess?!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

I dunno, she works well enough for me. I mostly set reminders and alarms with her.

Depends on your accent really. I assume Siri works best on Americans, she doesn't like Scottish people at all.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

marktheando posted:

Depends on your accent really. I assume Siri works best on Americans, she doesn't like Scottish people at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYvFxs32zvQ

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Just got an 11 Pro Max and oh my god it’s massive. I usually use a X but I’ve been using a 7 for the last week, and the difference is ridiculous.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMS2VnDveP8

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It's all true. This is also my experience using voice recognition software written by dudes in California.

When I use Siri to set the timer when I'm making food (the only thing I really trust her to do) I have to very carefully enunciate and talk in a specific way for it to work about half the time.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

It has no problem with my NorCal accent. I haven’t tried to say ‘hella’ to Siri however.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Big Taint posted:

It has no problem with my NorCal accent. I haven’t tried to say ‘hella’ to Siri however.

Same but you’d imagine that being the case considering Siri is designed in NorCal.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

:hmmyes:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Tried changing the Siri language to English UK or Ireland? (There’s not an English Scottish settiing). The language setting changes the recognition independent of the output voice afaik. And perhaps other Siri workings which might jack things up for all I know.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
All right I'm annoyed. For the last couple weeks the battery on the watch has gone from "less than advertised" to "dead by lunch." Took it to the Apple store, guy at the Genius Bar verified there was a problem, we watched the battery % drop visibly. They sent it off for repair. Apple home base has the watch for *less than a day* before declaring "unable to reproduce" and sending it back untouched.
Between this and the utter shitshow iOS 13 is, I'm disgusted.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The thing I hate about reporting battery issues, is that they always come back GOOD on their stupid diagnostic test, even with phones that die at 45%.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cellular came in useful for once. Left my phone at home like an idiot and, while lunch was super boring because of it, I at least could still get texts and calls.

Battery lasted from 7:30-5:30 with a decent charge left on it. AOD was turned off and brightness set to one just to be safe. I made a point to take no calls, and I was lucky to have no calls that I couldn’t pass. Oh and no sleep tracking, so it was a fresh 100% when starting.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

japtor posted:

Tried changing the Siri language to English UK or Ireland? (There’s not an English Scottish settiing). The language setting changes the recognition independent of the output voice afaik. And perhaps other Siri workings which might jack things up for all I know.

Oh I've tried all that, believe me. Years of Siri frustration and tweaking settings since it first launched. The default English (UK) is really just English (England), and I didn't have any better results with changing the language to Irish or Australian or New Zealand or American. I do use the Irish female voice though.

It's just the curse of being Scottish. Apple are definitely aware of these issues but they don't care since Scotland is only five million people.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
This might be a dumb question, but I’m wondering if I should take particular care with my watch (S3, got it when it launched) and being in lab. Aside from the obvious stuff (no whacking it against stuff, no putting it in an MRI, etc), I mean.

I work in a molecular bio lab, and in my day-to-day I do a bunch of vortexing and a bunch of work with rare earth magnets and magnetic microbeads.

In order to operate the vortexer, you have to press your sample down onto the vibrating element. It’s not crazy strong or anything like that, but it does a good job of vibrating your forearm. I end up using my watch hand a lot, and I worry if it might mess with one of the motion/vibration sensors or whatever.

WRT magnets, I have to use a magnetic tube rack to do my bead washes. It’s got a fairly big and strong rare earth magnet as its core, and I end up having to manipulate and hold and carry it in my left hand a lot while I do my pipetting.

The magnet’s apparently strong enough to gently caress with pacemakers, so I worry that I might be loving with the delicate mechanisms that power the sensors in my watch or with its ability to properly track movement/etc. IE if I hold a big rare earth magnet in my hand for 6 hours, will it mess with my watch?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Electric Bugaloo posted:

This might be a dumb question, but I’m wondering if I should take particular care with my watch (S3, got it when it launched) and being in lab. Aside from the obvious stuff (no whacking it against stuff, no putting it in an MRI, etc), I mean.

I work in a molecular bio lab, and in my day-to-day I do a bunch of vortexing and a bunch of work with rare earth magnets and magnetic microbeads.

In order to operate the vortexer, you have to press your sample down onto the vibrating element. It’s not crazy strong or anything like that, but it does a good job of vibrating your forearm. I end up using my watch hand a lot, and I worry if it might mess with one of the motion/vibration sensors or whatever.

WRT magnets, I have to use a magnetic tube rack to do my bead washes. It’s got a fairly big and strong rare earth magnet as its core, and I end up having to manipulate and hold and carry it in my left hand a lot while I do my pipetting.

The magnet’s apparently strong enough to gently caress with pacemakers, so I worry that I might be loving with the delicate mechanisms that power the sensors in my watch or with its ability to properly track movement/etc. IE if I hold a big rare earth magnet in my hand for 6 hours, will it mess with my watch?
I also work in molecular biology with beads, vortexers, and magnetic tube racks and haven’t had a problem. Tube rack magnets are that strong and my main complaint is that they are not strong enough.

Just lol if you don’t have four magnets on the bench and aren’t vortexing samples with both arms.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Your step counts are gonna be through the roof when you use the vibrating thing. Or Apple will flag you as a chronic work masturbator and never hire you.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Has anyone else had problems with the timer app freezing? I have to power cycle the watch to start a new timer, occasionally.

HiredGun
Sep 3, 2004

Obesity loves company
Yes just started having this and also I'm having a weird issue where I can't send messages via Siri. It throws up some error message where I have to open the Messages app on my phone.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Lazyhound posted:

Has anyone else had problems with the timer app freezing? I have to power cycle the watch to start a new timer, occasionally.

Yep, several times over the last two weeks on my Series 2.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Electric Bugaloo posted:

There was some kind of hubbub a year or two ago when a MEMS sensor in the watch or phone got demagnetized and it broke something kind of important. Can’t remember what though…

Edit: oh never mind it was helium and a really large quantity apparently. You’re probably fine.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a way to sync my entire Apple Music library to my watch? Like everything I have downloaded on my phone, I want on my watch. The Watch app only gives me the option to auto-sync the preset playlists (Heavy Rotation, Chill Mix, etc).

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Nov 27, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a way to sync my entire Apple Music library to my watch? Like everything I have downloaded on my phone, I want on my watch. The Watch app only gives me the option to auto-sync the preset playlists (Heavy Rotation, Chill Mix, etc).

Yeah, you do it in the Watch app on your phone. You'll probably have to make a smart playlist in iTunes of just downloaded music, though. And your Watch only has like 8 GB.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, you do it in the Watch app on your phone. You'll probably have to make a smart playlist in iTunes of just downloaded music, though. And your Watch only has like 8 GB.

And only a portion of that is allocated to music, annoyingly enough.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Has anyone else had an issue where reminders created on the watch via Siri aren't syncing to the phone and don't fire notifications on either watch or phone?

Because that started after the last watch OS update.

I swear, this whole 13 release has destroyed all of the features I use multiple times daily.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

You ever have TWO second hands?

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Has 6.1 really fixed the battery problems on the Series 5? To my surprise, I can't actually find any reliable tests/comparisons online. I'm considering getting a 4 or a 5 right now, and wouldn't want to spend the extra $60 for something with worse battery life.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I saw no difference between 6.0.1 (or whatever it was previous) and 6.1.

I did see a difference between 6.0 and 6.0.1, however.

It’s still frustratingly shorter battery life than my 3yo series 3. If I do an hour workout, my watch is dead by 8-9pm.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Has 6.1 really fixed the battery problems on the Series 5? To my surprise, I can't actually find any reliable tests/comparisons online. I'm considering getting a 4 or a 5 right now, and wouldn't want to spend the extra $60 for something with worse battery life.

Buy the 4.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The AOD and Compass is definitely worth the extra $60. I've had a few cases where my Series 5's battery has gotten below 10% before the end of the day, but it wasn't associated with any specific activity during the day. Most of the time, I have 30% battery left by 11 pm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Meanwhile my 40mm series 4 will have over 50% battery by the end of the day. :v:

Only time it gets to 10% is if I activity track two hockey games in one day (which is like two and a half hours of data taking).

AOD is real cool and all but man you pay for it.