Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Akileese posted:

Agreed. I voted Hogan because of the union busting but I'm surprised Flair isn't taking a bigger chunk. I figured it'd be 70-30 at minimum.

Hulk Hogan is extraordinarily hateable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Hogan is worse but Flair doesn’t get enough hate.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Hogan is such a weird, broken man that part of me thinks he isn't so much racist in the sense that he hates black people, but that he's racist in the sense that he tells people in secret that he hates black people because he thinks that makes him sound cool. Because that's how much of a pathological liar and egomaniac that he is.

He's a strangely compelling scumbag and it sucks that his Netflix biography will be authorized.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Hogan is a pathological lair and if Hogan has any pathos to him it's the idea that he's able to lie to himself and legitimately thinks everything he says is true.
Like, he convinced himself Elvis watched his Memphis matches. So much he probably remembers Elvis in the crowd despite it being not real.
Of course this is just speculation.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

Hogan is a pathological lair and if Hogan has any pathos to him it's the idea that he's able to lie to himself and legitimately thinks everything he says is true.
Like, he convinced himself Elvis watched his Memphis matches. So much he probably remembers Elvis in the crowd despite it being not real.
Of course this is just speculation.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/18951347/

Seems like it suits him

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I went with Hogan because Flair was always portrayed as an evil rear end in a top hat both on screen and thus he was always viewed as a bad guy.

Hogan was the guy you were supposed to look up to and it turned out he was equally as awful as Flair in real life. Plus all the bullshit he did to keep other people under him in the card.

That said, I think that guy who abused his kid into this decade should probably face off with Vince McMahon who seemed to enable these assholes.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Voted Flair because he's committed multiple sexual assaults and still gets to tell stories about them like they're fun and cool.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Flair doing the spot where people pull down his trunks a lot or rip off his pants makes so much more sense now.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Didn't Grizzly Smith abuse Sam Houston as well?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
It was very close for me but I had to go with Hogan too. Despite Flair being a piece of trash I think his mental issues are much more apparent, and for my sins I do associate with that a bit myself. I don't so much feel sorry for him, because he is incredibly abusive, but I probably do pity him to an extent. Hogan is delusional, but it's harder for me to justify not voting for him.

It's so mean to go from one round that's incredibly easy to decide on, to this!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

fatherofmustard posted:

Hogan is worse but Flair doesn’t get enough hate.

Flair still has this reputation as a lovable scamp in a lot of places whereas even people who like Hogan are at least poo poo enough to ignore or disregard his racism. That's what swung it to Flair for me.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Woo I'm all caught up with the thread and turns out I've not missed that much :toot:

Hogan/Flair is an absolute bitch of a contest. I went with Hogan in the end because the reality of scumminess is so at odds with the character he portrays. For some reason that level of deception adds a lot for me.

Biscats n Gravy
Jun 13, 2018

Smile.
Hogan being lovely hurt me a lot more emotionally but the voting rn had Flair as the underdog and I like a good comeback story so gently caress it.
WOOOOOOOOOOO

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

As far as I can tell they are neck and neck but flair never busted a union as far as I know so I gotta vote hot dog man

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

There are a lot of Hogan's out there who are fine around black people but turn into a giant racist if their kid ever thinks about dating a black person. White people are weird.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
hogan had a panic attack when he saw a box of uncle ben’s rice

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

sportsgenius86 posted:

There are a lot of Hogan's out there who are fine around black people but turn into a giant racist if their kid ever thinks about dating a black person. White people are weird.

Always astounds me to watch my father, a very left wing man, with so many queer friends, who worked at a gay bar in his youth, be creeped the gently caress out when I do things that are not traditionally straight.

Like I think he'd be more comfortable if I was just gay, but gently caress you dad, deal with my femme dancing!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Vandar posted:

Union busting and the stuff with his son's car accident pushes Hogan over the line for me, honestly.

I consider it an accomplishment that Hogan blocked me on Twitter when I asked if he was giving any of that Gawker money to the Graziano family.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Woo I'm all caught up with the thread and turns out I've not missed that much :toot:

Hogan/Flair is an absolute bitch of a contest. I went with Hogan in the end because the reality of scumminess is so at odds with the character he portrays. For some reason that level of deception adds a lot for me.

Flair has moments of what seem like genuine regret and agony over some of his actions. Hogan seems completely oblivious to any harm he's caused and just goes the route of totally fake public PR apologies. Flair's a mess but Hogan's the scummier person imo

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wazzu posted:

Always astounds me to watch my father, a very left wing man, with so many queer friends, who worked at a gay bar in his youth, be creeped the gently caress out when I do things that are not traditionally straight.

Like I think he'd be more comfortable if I was just gay, but gently caress you dad, deal with my femme dancing!

I've been to a decent amount of gay bars that had straight bar tenders who very obviously hated gay people, it's a weirdly more common thing than you might expect

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I went with Hogan as well because Flair was always supposed to be a bad guy, he wasn't really a role model (except to aspiring Patrick Bateman types I guess). Hogan on the other hand was for most of his career held up as a role model and shining beacon of what we should all aspire to...while at the same time being an utter piece of crap in-ring, backstage, and in real life.

Flair at least has some sort of realization that he has been a pretty lovely human being overall, while Hogan just works himself into thinking he's a hero at all times.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Flair's a lovely dude that got to wrestle.

Hogan is another level of hosed up. Natural born grifter with zero empathy.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Aesop Poprock posted:

I've been to a decent amount of gay bars that had straight bar tenders who very obviously hated gay people, it's a weirdly more common thing than you might expect

Food service has a way of making you hate your customers.

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019
I feel like "they're an on-screen heel which makes their sins not as bad as the sins of an on-screen face" is kind of a cop-out honestly. Playing a villain on tv has nothing to do with societal expectations. Or it shouldn't, anyway.

I really think that Flair would be winning this easily if it weren't for the fact that Flair's in-ring work and promos are as beloved as they are.

Visual Basic Bitch fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 2, 2019

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

I don’t being a face on television makes the lovely things you do worse. But Hogan was positioned as a national role model to children. That, to me, makes it more hypocritical. Telling kids to take their vitamins and do their training while you’re shooting yourself full of roids is hosed.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

cocaine is a vitamin

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Also for his part in the Gawker/Thiel stuff (however justified his initial lawsuit was) Hogan has indirectly put dozens of innocent people out of work and helped to weaken journalism as a whole.

The aftershocks of that stuff are being suffered by people who had nothing to do with any of the sex tape stuff.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

https://deadspin.com/espns-30-for-30-on-ric-flair-glorifies-decades-of-sexua-1820305314

Flair sucks and he will get away with it until he dies and most likely beyond then because he's so beloved.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I mean this is basically A Terrible Person vs A Terrible Person Who Also Screwed Up Wrestling as a Whole

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

lets put it this way:

I wouldn't call the cops on Flair.

I'd loving call the cops on Hogan. And sell the footage to TMZ. gently caress that guy.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Like if it wasn't against Hogan in this bracket, Flair would probably win (unless it was one of the uber sex-criminals like Grizzly Smith, Buck Zumhofe, etc. ). Much like Jarrett, he has a bad first round draw. It's not so much that Flair isn't terrible, it's more that Hogan is, to a lot of people, much worse.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

hulk hogan is the closet thing we have to a real life krusty the clown

oh sure he entertained kids but otherwise he's that drat seedy

Blast Fantasto posted:

Also for his part in the Gawker/Thiel stuff (however justified his initial lawsuit was) Hogan has indirectly put dozens of innocent people out of work and helped to weaken journalism as a whole.

The aftershocks of that stuff are being suffered by people who had nothing to do with any of the sex tape stuff.

yeah look at deadspin in the past month or so, two bad sales later and it's basically dead

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Including a note about EVOLVE that flies under the radar.

https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1201560713493385216

On top of the recent not paying talent allegations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I voted for Gabe just because I really hate Gabe.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Dynamite Kid 100% which is kind of a bummer because Gabe sucks and deserves to be higher then knocked out round one.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm burnt out on wanting to acknowledge someone who loving sucks really bad but having to click the guy who is actually evil incarnate

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Cavauro posted:

i'm burnt out on wanting to acknowledge someone who loving sucks really bad but having to click the guy who is actually evil incarnate

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gabe was the pen carrier for Paul Heyman so you know he's seen business at its most hosed up.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gabe is...small business tyrant is a very good description. He's a loving dope. As a booker, he did some really great stuff but also he decided to unmask Jigsaw for no loving reason which was super loving dumb because that was a dude with a face for hiding under a mask. Dr Wagner Jr he was not. But honestly the stories of him shrieking like a child who didn't get a second helping of ice cream are funny. The bad stuff is that when he decided to do ROH commentary himself (with Doug Gentry) he just ended up deciding his "character" was going to be "a really creepy guy who can't stop telling you how horny that woman is making him any time a woman is on screen", including when said woman was getting attacked by men. Alison Danger was a slut who deserved it. Becky Bayliss was also a slut. Or the time he let everyone know how excited he was by Alexis Laree's belly. He seemed to have real hangups about women and the way ROH booked them & treated them in 2002 & 2003 was at least on a par with the worst of WWF during the Attitude Era.

And then there was the homophobia & all that poo poo. I still have big fondness for the Gabe years of ROH but there is a lot of not good poo poo. But that said, yeah, I mean, Dynamite Kid absolutely lives up to the billing of sociopath. Really nothing redeemable about him as a human being, he was a shithead to his colleagues, his friends, his family, his wife, and he died a broken sad & lonely old man and nobody shed a tear. Except probably Davey Richards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cavauro posted:

Same, i’d love to have like the evil monsters in a different category than the everyday business assholes. I think the scummy promoters vs talent who treated other talent like trash etc is way more interesting than comparing who murdered people the worst