Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lorgar is the ultimate failson and I hope he dies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

jng2058 posted:

I've been re-reading Angels of Darkness by Thorpe, and if that weird rumor going around that a fallen primarch was going to be redeemed and a loyal primarch was going to fall pans out, then they've had the foundation laid since 2003. Because in this book you can totally see that between the obsession with secrets and lies and the sadism they show in their interrogations, it'd be dead easy to see Lion El'Johnson (and possibly the Dark Angels, though maybe not all of them?) falling to Slaanesh to go along with Fulgrim getting redeemed away from Slaanesh with the soul-in-the-painting thing.

Fulgrim's soul isn't trapped in the painting, he escaped like basically immediately because the demon that trapped him was a loving dummy and didn't realize that the primarchs are ultimate demigod warp beings.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

hopterque posted:

Fulgrim's soul isn't trapped in the painting, he escaped like basically immediately because the demon that trapped him was a loving dummy and didn't realize that the primarchs are ultimate demigod warp beings.

I thought it was and the Daemon was just lying about being Fulgrim.

Anyway there is a Fulgrim clone that is implied to have gotten the original Fulgrim's soul around right now. Which could be what redeems him.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

MonsterEnvy posted:

I thought it was and the Daemon was just lying about being Fulgrim.

Anyway there is a Fulgrim clone that is implied to have gotten the original Fulgrim's soul around right now. Which could be what redeems him.

The clone 100% got the real Fulgrim soul. He was doing all the usual Primarch Bullshit, like chopping his way through dozens of enemies with nothing but primitive sword and getting more powerful with everyone he killed.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

wiegieman posted:

The clone 100% got the real Fulgrim soul. He was doing all the usual Primarch Bullshit, like chopping his way through dozens of enemies with nothing but primitive sword and getting more powerful with everyone he killed.

Excellent post/avatar combo.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

hopterque posted:

The only source for this happening is Fulgrim himself so it is left up to the reader to determine if it is the real Fulgrim telling his men that he escaped the painting or the demon lying to his men he is the real Fulgrim and escaped the painting. Personally, I go with the later. This leaves a path open for GW to bring back loyalist Fulgrim by taking his soul from the painting and combining it with clone Fulgrim.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

JerryLee posted:

Excellent post/avatar combo.

To slay your enemies with a blade,
is the furthest thing from being a Swordsman;

Rather, to practice without hesitation,
the art of Cutting, which is Division via the blade of Want.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Didn't Angron have a line like "that thing wearing Fulgrim's face isn't my brother" somewhere? Betrayer, maybe?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

moths posted:

Didn't Angron have a line like "that thing wearing Fulgrim's face isn't my brother" somewhere? Betrayer, maybe?

It's Aurelian, I think, one of ADB's short stories or novellas linking the First Heretic with Betrayer.
If they ever do a collected edition of that arc I hope they include everything because it all builds together wonderfully.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Lorgar sees possessed Fulgrim and immediately flips his poo poo and starts beating the crap out if it. Horus gets him to stop, but then he gets a prophetic vision he won't explain and laughs at the daemon for being a moron.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

wiegieman posted:

Lorgar sees possessed Fulgrim and immediately flips his poo poo and starts beating the crap out if it. Horus gets him to stop, but then he gets a prophetic vision he won't explain and laughs at the daemon for being a moron.

Where was it that has Lorgar flipping his poo poo at possessed marines of another legion for being abominations unlike HIS possessed marines? Says they are a sacred union of flesh and demon in equilibrium, right?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

jng2058 posted:

I've been re-reading Angels of Darkness by Thorpe, and if that weird rumor going around that a fallen primarch was going to be redeemed and a loyal primarch was going to fall pans out, then they've had the foundation laid since 2003. Because in this book you can totally see that between the obsession with secrets and lies and the sadism they show in their interrogations, it'd be dead easy to see Lion El'Johnson (and possibly the Dark Angels, though maybe not all of them?) falling to Slaanesh to go along with Fulgrim getting redeemed away from Slaanesh with the soul-in-the-painting thing.

Fulgrim's body being a giant naga would seem to militate against this. It'd probably be one of the less physically corrupted Primarchs like Alpharius or Omegon. Maybe Perturabo, though tbh I have no idea what he looks like in canon at this point. Probably not one of the Primarchs devoted to one aspect of the Pantheon.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

D-Pad posted:

The only source for this happening is Fulgrim himself so it is left up to the reader to determine if it is the real Fulgrim telling his men that he escaped the painting or the demon lying to his men he is the real Fulgrim and escaped the painting. Personally, I go with the later. This leaves a path open for GW to bring back loyalist Fulgrim by taking his soul from the painting and combining it with clone Fulgrim.

To me letting someone come back from full Daemon Prince/Primarch would be dumb. It's not like you accidentally ascended to that status. Going to be harder to justify than some idiot who spent the last ten thousand years fighting off that particular apotheosis seizing the moment and high-fiving Guilliman in the Ultimate Bro Moment.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Relevant Tangent posted:

Fulgrim's body being a giant naga would seem to militate against this. It'd probably be one of the less physically corrupted Primarchs like Alpharius or Omegon. Maybe Perturabo, though tbh I have no idea what he looks like in canon at this point. Probably not one of the Primarchs devoted to one aspect of the Pantheon.

Relevant Tangent posted:

To me letting someone come back from full Daemon Prince/Primarch would be dumb. It's not like you accidentally ascended to that status. Going to be harder to justify than some idiot who spent the last ten thousand years fighting off that particular apotheosis seizing the moment and high-fiving Guilliman in the Ultimate Bro Moment.

Sure, but don't forget there's that perfect clone of Fulgrim that Trazyn's got on ice. Take clone, apply painting, and BOOM you've got an uncorrupted Primarch Fulgrim ready to atone for his failure and that of his legion. You could even keep snake-Fulgrim around for sme extra special nemesis action!

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Fulgrim didn't fall he jumped. Some of the other Primarchs are at least theoretically redeemable, but Fulgrim wholeheartedly embraced Slaanesh out of ennui afaict.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Relevant Tangent posted:

Angron was slowly dying/degenerating and was more or less duped into it. It definitely wasn't something he intentionally set out to achieve.

That said, I don't see him switching sides!

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Magnus could get all his soul bits back and realize he was being a schizophrenic dick head for the last 10000 years.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

But all the primarchs are basically warp beings. It doesn't really defy imagining that a Daemon primarch might just decide being part Daemon is bullshit and actually they should look like a giant human again. Although that kind of acceptance of their nature suggests either Magnus or possibly Lorgar and no one else really to me.

Clone Fulgrim would be an easy and lazy way to do it so probably that one. If they stick to Fulgrim actually having his soul exiled and Naga Fulgrim being 100% Daemon it would be a bit too... Neat in terms of avoiding needing any kind of character arc.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I'd be down for Angron no longer being a daemon but also be staunchly anti-Imperium.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'd be down for Angron no longer being a daemon but also be staunchly anti-Imperium.

I’d also be down for Angron as an axe-wielding T-Rex going murder-crazy on the forces of chaos because “you loving assholes tried to enslave me! Again!!”

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Switching Lion and Luthor would have the end result of exactly nothing changing because of the DA obsession with secrecy.

That's why I think it's most likely to happen.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still want Guilliman to talk to The Lion and tell him that he already knows about the Dark Angels' secret shame and that he forgives him, only for Lion'el to stop listening at "I know about the Dark Angels' secret", go apeshit and attack Guilliman before running away in a panic.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT1ye8LabGs
Ummmm it looks like they've got a lot more than Richard Boylan working for their animation projects now.

A 40K Animatrix collection would kick rear end.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

A full redemption arc where Kharn saves his primarch from Khorne and somehow the side effect is him also reverting to his original child form before the nails, and going off into the sunset to raise him away from Imperial or Chaos influences (but with a nailed dad).

Timeskip another 100 years and Angron comes out of the Storm of the Emperor's Wrath with a sector that's basically Ultramar and starts a new Great Crusade against the Imperium.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Relevant Tangent posted:

I'm not sure it wasn't accidental for Fulgrim. The sword basically tricked him. His uncorrupted soul is in the painting.

MrNemo posted:

Clone Fulgrim would be an easy and lazy way to do it so probably that one. If they stick to Fulgrim actually having his soul exiled and Naga Fulgrim being 100% Daemon it would be a bit too... Neat in terms of avoiding needing any kind of character arc.

True, but the character arc would be after the fact instead of a redeeming arc leading to the switch. There could be a very interesting story following what happens to a pure Fulgrim soul that's been imprisoned for 10k years suddenly having his uncorrupted body at his disposal while he finds himself in the current imperium. Especially for a being who values perfection so highly to see what has become of his father's dream.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

D-Pad posted:

True, but the character arc would be after the fact instead of a redeeming arc leading to the switch. There could be a very interesting story following what happens to a pure Fulgrim soul that's been imprisoned for 10k years suddenly having his uncorrupted body at his disposal while he finds himself in the current imperium. Especially for a being who values perfection so highly to see what has become of his father's dream.

Written by Graham McNeil.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Demiurge4 posted:

Written by Graham McNeil.

Ben Counter

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
So I’ve read everything in these series:

Horus Hersey (all the recommended ones)
Siege of Terra
Eisenhorn/Ravenor
Gaunts Ghosts
The Inquisition War
Night Lords

Any suggestions on what’s next?

KM Scorchio fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 1, 2019

susan
Jan 14, 2013

KM Scorchio posted:

Siege of Terra
Eisenhorn/Ravenor
Gaunts Ghosts
The Inquisition War
Night Lords

Hm. Forges of Mars omnibus. Nice slice of life on a Mechanicus ship. That or dive into Ciaphas Caine if you're looking for something lighter but still 40k.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

KM Scorchio posted:

Siege of Terra
Eisenhorn/Ravenor
Gaunts Ghosts
The Inquisition War
Night Lords

Chris Wraight stuff is the move here. Carrion Throne and Hollow Mountain. Watchers of the Throne (sequel early next year too). Lords of Silence.

Rites of Passage (a great non-traditional 40k book). The Great Work. Finally, make sure you read Divination if you haven't yet. It is a short story collection set in the Inquisition War series that gives a backstory to each of the retinue characters.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

D-Pad posted:

I'm not sure it wasn't accidental for Fulgrim. The sword basically tricked him. His uncorrupted soul is in the painting.

Fulgrim immediately heads off to Medusa and smashes the "make a clone of ferrus manus" button in the secret F+F Funtime Clubhouse as hard as he can

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Relevant Tangent posted:

I still think Magnus makes the most sense. He was a tragic story of hubris and regretted his fall the most and only joined Horus for survival. Plus he's the one primarch that could sit on the throne and hold the webway gate to allow the Emperor to do whatever he needs to do (probably stretch his legs and take a huge dump, kick chaos in the dick, etc)

Demiurge4 posted:

A full redemption arc where Kharn saves his primarch from Khorne and somehow the side effect is him also reverting to his original child form before the nails, and going off into the sunset to raise him away from Imperial or Chaos influences (but with a nailed dad).

Timeskip another 100 years and Angron comes out of the Storm of the Emperor's Wrath with a sector that's basically Ultramar and starts a new Great Crusade against the Imperium.

I love the idea of Angron being able to show that he belongs up there with his brothers the wise, civilised demi-god he was supposed to be.

Like Perturabo finally getting left alone so he can just build beautiful cities and toys.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Where the gently caress is Perturabo anyway. I can't really recall reading anything much about him post-Heresy in short stories.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm just happy that the rumor is one loyalist falls, while a traitor is redeemed. I wouldn't put it past GW to try some "all of the traitors are recloned and accelerated their growth, while the Chaos Gods create dark versions of the loyalist Primarchs from their ripples in the warp" shenanigans.

I could see Magnus being redeemed and Roboute "falling" (actually just trying to hold everything together while telling the church to gently caress off).

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I'd love to see Russ fall. Mainly because I'm tired of SW being so damned 80's action hero flawless ("Sometimes we turn into totally metal werewolves" isn't a flaw for those playing at home).

Having Bobby G, Saint Celestine, and an Inquisitorial Conclave or two doing a run on Fulgrim to perform an exorcism would be a lot of fun. Go full tubular bells on it.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Full Grimdark and have Vulkan fall, chaos gets an immortal, insane Khornate avatar and the Salamanders need to deal with their nice guy primarch being an insane murder god. Moral of the story is that being nice is the Highway to damnation.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Hopefully its Angron and Jagathai that goes "the emperor and chaos both suck" and goes to create the anarchist faction with Cawl.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Maybe the primarchs of the II and XI will switch places.

And nobody will give a poo poo because we don't talk about them :(

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Aside from Horus who is the hardest Primarch to justify coming back into the fold? "That's Angron, he's super angry about Chaos so the Emperor blessed him with a warform." vs "That's Mortarion he uh cures diseases now I guess?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Curze didn't die, he watch just playing Witcher 3 this whole time.