Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

When I didn't get selected for O5, I was somewhat disappointed. This rapidly became relief that I only have to do this poo poo for a few more years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

drat that Twitter story makes me think twice if I did the right thing submitting my package to affiliate in the Reserves. But then again it seems like the reason why her stuff got all messed up was because she has a medical condition and is also a disabled veteran. She sits on Veteran's Affairs committee as a staffer so has extra power in publicly speaking out like this.

Also if she's not cleared for OCONUS mobilization, how is she able to get AT in Estonia?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Howard Phillips posted:

drat that Twitter story makes me think twice if I did the right thing submitting my package to affiliate in the Reserves. But then again it seems like the reason why her stuff got all messed up was because she has a medical condition and is also a disabled veteran. She sits on Veteran's Affairs committee as a staffer so has extra power in publicly speaking out like this.

Also if she's not cleared for OCONUS mobilization, how is she able to get AT in Estonia?

You probably didn't because the reserves are mostly super trash garbage punctuated by maybe an okay AT here or there. Unless you're super blessed longcodkilla who has somehow had nothing but great times (and even he got hosed out of money from the reserves).

I waffle between putting in an IRR chit or not literally every drill weekend.

Maybe if I was eligible for reserve tricare and I had an actual reason to stay in other than the pittance of a pension I might not even live to see I'd feel differently.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Oh no is being in the naval reserve stupid and arbitrary and inefficient? Why is the reserve administrative process so wasteful compared to it's active duty counterpart??????

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

PneumonicBook posted:

You probably didn't because the reserves are mostly super trash garbage punctuated by maybe an okay AT here or there. Unless you're super blessed longcodkilla who has somehow had nothing but great times (and even he got hosed out of money from the reserves).

I waffle between putting in an IRR chit or not literally every drill weekend.

Maybe if I was eligible for reserve tricare and I had an actual reason to stay in other than the pittance of a pension I might not even live to see I'd feel differently.

30 days til I report to Norfolk for my mob.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

LingcodKilla posted:

30 days til I report to Norfolk for my mob.

Djibouti or Guantanamo Bay?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Howard Phillips posted:

Our lucky IT is gonna become a salty boy and sail the ocean blue

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Howard Phillips posted:

Some USNS ship stationed in the med. Gonna be in the radio room.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

piL posted:

In Japan?

Update to this: Talking with the director again, he apparently just had a feeling that something was wrong which is why he made the call. Turns out he was correct. The other officer that went also had his hotel reservation canceled! Bonus, he didn't find out until he got there because the Navy lodge had already sent him things like a welcome aboard package and confirmation number saying that he had a room. From what I understand, they're doing extensive renovations on at least one, if not both hotels on base, and for obvious reasons priority is going to PCS travelers.

I hope that everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving.

LingcodKilla, you're only 30 days out from your Med trip? Sweet. Just remember to pack heavier clothes than you think. The Med gets a lot colder than people realize.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

LingcodKilla posted:

Some USNS ship stationed in the med. Gonna be in the radio room.

Just some first and a half hand advice: Don't secretly use the satellite bandwidth to VPN onto facebook while on station doing navy things

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

M_Gargantua posted:

Just some first and a half hand advice: Don't secretly use the satellite bandwidth to VPN onto facebook while on station doing navy things

I figured that would be a no-brainer, like taking your weapon apart on watch.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

McNally posted:

I figured that would be a no-brainer, like taking your weapon apart on watch.

Yeah, nobody would be dumb enough to do that.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Also, ships get way colder than you’d think if you’ve not spent time on them. Especially the radio room and other spots with electronics since the ventilation pretty much runs nonstop. I think Sailors all get organizational clothing from supply but being a Marine on ship I had to buy uniform items and have them shipped out to me.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

Wtf idiots.

The Valley Stared posted:

I hope that everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving.

LingcodKilla, you're only 30 days out from your Med trip? Sweet. Just remember to pack heavier clothes than you think. The Med gets a lot colder than people realize.

Thank you will do.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Howard Phillips posted:

To be fair the Navy is SUPPOSED to be done filling billets like that for MOBs and instead you get to be stuck on a ship's pretty deployment workups and its deployment.

I feel like that wouldn't be terrible? I've never been the shop slacker (anymore than any ACNT tech anyway) and that could be fun.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If you don't already have a uniform fleece top, get one as well. As N4A said, radio will be one of the coldest spaces on the ship 24/7.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you don't already have a uniform fleece top, get one as well. As N4A said, radio will be one of the coldest spaces on the ship 24/7.

I got a complete sea bag including the new all black gortex because I’m gonna get every free thing I can lay my grubby hands on.

Also got the silly sweater and Ike jacket but I don’t think I’ll bring those to a ship.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
I legit like the fleece. Also was stoked to find out it is one of the few things not changing with the NWU switch.

Also re: med weather it really is surprisingly more variable than expected. Like no joke did a med BMD deployment where one objective was selling allies on the tech so lotta ports. But at some times even from one port to another was much more of a temperature delta that I would have expected.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I got an AF goretex a few months before I got out. Never wore it, hate that ABU pattern. It's a great jacket, but I'd kill to be able to dye it black (or at least dark enough to hide the pattern). The Navy is almost as dumb as the AF when it comes to uniforms, but goddamn it you guys got it right with the black goretex and fleece.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Godholio posted:

I got an AF goretex a few months before I got out. Never wore it, hate that ABU pattern. It's a great jacket, but I'd kill to be able to dye it black (or at least dark enough to hide the pattern). The Navy is almost as dumb as the AF when it comes to uniforms, but goddamn it you guys got it right with the black goretex and fleece.

Yeah the black gortex weighs like nothing and replaces the pea coat and trench coat. Oof that's some weight savings.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
drat that sounds way better, you got a picture of that thing?

I saw a male stripper a couple of weeks ago dressed as a cowboy and when he tossed his black duster on the stage in front of me I noticed the tag and saw it that sorry black raincoat they gave you with utilities I could not stop laughing

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
*double finger-guns the thread before getting out of class at 0900 and grabbing a California Burritto on the way home*

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

*double finger-guns the thread before getting out of class at 0900 and grabbing a California Burritto on the way home*

Shipmate what condition are those finger pistols in?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Shipmate what condition are those finger pistols in?

Oh god, now you're making me remember going through Camp McCrady and the Army having dumb colors for conditions instead of 1-4, another great example of why can't we have standardized poo poo. If they could just blow that whole place off the map nothing would be wasted

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

drat that sounds way better, you got a picture of that thing?

I saw a male stripper a couple of weeks ago dressed as a cowboy and when he tossed his black duster on the stage in front of me I noticed the tag and saw it that sorry black raincoat they gave you with utilities I could not stop laughing

It’s almost identical but it has no pockets on the arms. The fleece zips in too. Can be used with civilian clothes if you take off the rank. Very nice piece of kit.

Of course I just noticed the tag.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
The sweaters value shines if you have to go outside in misty weather a lot. The wool (if you bought the 100% wool one and not the polyester one) swells and becomes.super insulated when exposed to light moisture. You wont need it in Radio, but buy two sets of nice thermals like you would wear skiing; something that folds up nice and compact, and dont forget to take them off if you're putting on a FEV.

Re: the valley stared, that part had confused me because I thought the implication was that Japanese trains were an unsafe place to be. Now that I realise the problem is DOD run hotels assigning more rooms than they have available, everything makes sense again.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

LingcodKilla posted:

It’s almost identical but it has no pockets on the arms. The fleece zips in too. Can be used with civilian clothes if you take off the rank. Very nice piece of kit.

Of course I just noticed the tag.

that's pretty sweet, what do they go for?

My favorite goretex will always and forever be my good BDU one but I just can't bring myself to wear camo in public

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

that's pretty sweet, what do they go for?

My favorite goretex will always and forever be my good BDU one but I just can't bring myself to wear camo in public

Online says $153 but i just requested one as a reservist.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

piL posted:

Re: the valley stared, that part had confused me because I thought the implication was that Japanese trains were an unsafe place to be. Now that I realise the problem is DOD run hotels assigning more rooms than they have available, everything makes sense again.

Yeah but I would have expected something available in the area. Like that one five minutes walk straight out the main gate where I always see contractors and couples that just met five minutes ago in the bar next door.

Re: parka: Sounds like a new flight deck jacket.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

CMD598 posted:

In the end, we all know the superior outerwear is the Boat Coat, preferably with a fat stencil on the back of the command you stole it from

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

CMD598 posted:

Yeah but I would have expected something available in the area. Like that one five minutes walk straight out the main gate where I always see contractors and couples that just met five minutes ago in the bar next door.

Government doesn't like to pay hourly rates.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

In the end, we all know the superior outerwear is the Boat Coat, preferably with a fat stencil on the back of the command you stole it from

I get a kick out of the unit patches the Navy lets you sew on flight jackets...legit wish the AF did that. Saw a Growler dude with a cruise patch that said "We traveled 6000 miles to give you our SEAD" and I almost laughed in the briefing.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The weather can really whip up outta nowhere in the med, I bet that lil usns takes a beating out there

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

shovelbum posted:

The weather can really whip up outta nowhere in the med, I bet that lil usns takes a beating out there

With all that great food available it may be the only way I loose weight.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
You can contact your drilling unit CFL before you leave for help with a sensible meal plan and shipboard workout plan to meet your fitness goals :)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

You can contact your drilling unit CFL before you leave for help with a sensible meal plan and shipboard workout plan to meet your fitness goals :)

“Eat less move more and don’t drink”?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Works for me!

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LingcodKilla posted:

That’s no fun. Just eat at every questionable kebab stand you see and you should be on a rapid weight purge plan at least once during your time out there.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Godholio posted:

I get a kick out of the unit patches the Navy lets you sew on flight jackets...legit wish the AF did that. Saw a Growler dude with a cruise patch that said "We traveled 6000 miles to give you our SEAD" and I almost laughed in the briefing.

The actual leather flight jacket would be really tough to steal from the Navy, (each indivually accounted for and specially documented by NAS Jax supply) but agree they're pretty badass. Those shiny green nylon-y ones are pretty easy to come by, though. Lol I used to have a suppo that would rock one around

PS, you're a civilian. Sew any patches on any jacket you want who gaf what the AF says

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

piL posted:

I honestly was thinking the same thing re: Japanese trains not being safe. He clarified the other day when I happened to talk with him that he just had a bad feeling about the trip.

And I do agree with piL. The DoD generally doesn't like to pay for love hotels. Hourly rates really add up quick.

Godholio? Just wait another year or two. Then you can try and procure a genuine SWO jacket! It's like the flight jacket, but likely to be less individualized, and black. They do have internal jacket pockets though, and as a woman whose khaki clothes rarely have functioning pockets, they weren't terrible. The lapels were too big though.