Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Just started an RPGO campaign last night because I noticed they were finally able to add an option that assigns each soldier random trees at squaddie!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

With the right pistol perks you won’t even notice their meh aim because their sheer amount of shots mean they still connect pretty often. Combine that with poison or fire rounds and they can really tear poo poo up.

On a similar note, a Sharpshooter fully loaded with pistol talents and blue screen rounds can shred a Sectopod in a single turn.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

W.T. Fits posted:

On a similar note, a Sharpshooter fully loaded with pistol talents and blue screen rounds can shred a Sectopod in a single turn.

yeah fan fire is beautiful late game

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Captain Foo posted:

Just started an RPGO campaign last night because I noticed they were finally able to add an option that assigns each soldier random trees at squaddie!!

How random are we talking about? Because if it's like a training roulette kind of thing then I sure as gently caress am gonna have to get that for whenever I play next.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nordick posted:

How random are we talking about? Because if it's like a training roulette kind of thing then I sure as gently caress am gonna have to get that for whenever I play next.

Yeah you can do a lot of stuff with the new options.

You can limit the number of trees total a soldier gets and they can be all random or all picked with the ability to do say, 2 random trees and then you pick a third etc. You can also randomize or completely control the original background perks and you can completely randomize the order of perks in a tree. There are also some trees that force others if they completely rely on some of their perks (I know the Biotic class trees are all force picked together since they rely on one of the trees to function)

All through basic ini editing and second wave options

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Ok yeah that sounds really dope, thanks. I tried RPGO once a long time ago, but the whole "make your own class" kinda approach wasn't for me. Having to make do with whatever random weirdos the game throws at me is a vastly more appealing approach.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Nordick posted:

Ok yeah that sounds really dope, thanks. I tried RPGO once a long time ago, but the whole "make your own class" kinda approach wasn't for me. Having to make do with whatever random weirdos the game throws at me is a vastly more appealing approach.

Note that this *can* result in soldiers with three trees that focus exclusively on different secondary equipment. Like for example, the Ranger Melee tree, the explosives/Claymores tree, and the Medic tree.

So yeah... results can be... interesting.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Nordick posted:

yeah i have it set up so that my soldiers are assigned 3 random trees with all the skills within them except the final skill in random order, along with the 2 random squaddie perks

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I used the Community Mod Manager to completely wipe out everything and start fresh (and dear god did it help clear out crap/make menu's faster) but I lost the name of the mod that adds a button to random a solider appearance when customizing them. It used to sit on the upper right when you went into the customization screen. Any one remember a mod like that?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Psion posted:

just remember, a new TFTD means Site Recon Harder Edition will be a standard map

if that comes to pass you have only yourself to blame

I would be down for that.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

So...ummm... decided to make a run again through the game and realized that I hated the WOTC and all the expansions. However, some of the quality of life improvements, such as the tactical preview, are super useful.

In short, is there at WOTC mod that gets rid of all the new classes and the chosen and the covert ops and well....ok, is is there a mod for the base game thats just, like, bug fixes and tactical preview? I really, really dislike the expansion.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

So...ummm... decided to make a run again through the game and realized that I hated the WOTC and all the expansions. However, some of the quality of life improvements, such as the tactical preview, are super useful.

In short, is there at WOTC mod that gets rid of all the new classes and the chosen and the covert ops and well....ok, is is there a mod for the base game thats just, like, bug fixes and tactical preview? I really, really dislike the expansion.

Have you tried disabling all the various DLC? I believe there should be an option to start the game without it, and it might still have a lot of QoL updates.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cpt_Obvious posted:

No, they did like a big engine update with WOTC and you can't backport all the improvements.

There are mods that disable the Lost and you can just like not use the new classes/Resistance ring. LWOTC guys figured a way to disable the Chosen but I don't think it made its way into a standalone mod

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1157127420

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Zore posted:

No, they did like a big engine update with WOTC and you can't backport all the improvements.

There are mods that disable the Lost and you can just like not use the new classes/Resistance ring. LWOTC guys figured a way to disable the Chosen but I don't think it made its way into a standalone mod

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1157127420

Damnit. Well, I'll just play vanilla xcom2. It's still super fun.

Other than that, does anyone else think that Sparks are a little overcosted at 2 cores?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

TK-42-1 posted:

yeah fan fire is beautiful late game

This. A high-rank pistolier can be loving ridiculous in conjunction with any other force multipliers you have in your squad. Hit a Chosen with Amplify and/or Rupture, have your gunslinger hit them with Lightning Hands and a regular shot and finally Fan Fire, then have a Skirmisher/psionic/the sharpshooter's bondmate restore an action point and keep on shooting. If you've given your sharpshooter damage-boosting experimental ammo (which you absolutely should always do), the extra damage adds up really fast.

Properly equipped pistol bastards are probably the only thing in the game that can rival Reapers using Banish for sheer, single-turn damage output. Reapers ultimately win out because they're loving ridiculous (and because a superior repeater + superior expanded magazine Banish gives a pretty solid chance of automatically killing literally anything you point it at), but pistoliers are very solid, adaptable, and reliable.

Their main downfall is that their accuracy tends to suffer at medium range, and that their damage output is severely lackluster at lower ranks (especially if you haven't gotten much in the way of pistol upgrades/experimental ammo yet). I find it helpful to send inexperienced gunslingers out on Lost missions; they can gain a bit of experience by merrily blasting away at zombies, and the fact that they never need to reload means they're pretty good at efficiently mopping up the chaff while your soldiers with bigger guns shoot at more dangerous targets. If you've got incendiary ammo, the low damage doesn't even matter because your baby desperado will instantly panic every Lost they shoot.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Wait, Lost can panic? And they take extra fire damage?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yep, that's the canonical reason Purifiers exist.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah it's not technically the same as the panic status effect I think, but bottom line is that Lost that catch fire will start running around randomly, and will also set fire to any non-burning Lost they come in contact with. It's pretty funny honestly, especially when you manage to catch a whole bunch of them in one flamethrower burst.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Had this post kicking around my head during my last playthrough of XCOM 2 WOTC, so I wrote it up to get it out there.

XCOM 2 War of the Chosen - Resistance Orders for Newbies

With Phoenix Point coming out soon (or out already depending on when this is posted), maybe you showed an interest in checking out the new XCOM games too. Or maybe you picked this wonderful series up on a sale, in which case, welcome!

If you are playing XCOM 2 and its expansion, War of the Chosen, you may already be aware of the Resistance Ring and the factions that XCOM has access to. The worth of the special soldiers deserves its own post, but I wanted to focus on the Resistance Orders for each faction or continental relay bonus that you can slot in after each supply drop. How can you make the best use of them, Commander? Which ones are good, which ones are bad, and which ones let you break the game in half over your knee? I'm here to give my take on them, having played this game a little bit too long (over 1000 hours!) in Legend/Ironman settings with Grim Horizon in there too. Be aware this post focuses on the vanilla, unmodded game!

The Mechanics of Resistance Orders

A quick primer on Resistance Orders, just to refresh the way they work: at the start of a WOTC campaign, some orders get randomly selected from each faction's pool to serve as continental bonuses earned by placing enough radio relays on a continent and making contact with each region of that continent. Each faction grants you two orders when you contact them, and two more orders for completing the first two Covert Actions to hunt their adversary Chosen. If you want more than those four orders from the faction, you have to run Resistance Order Covert Actions in the Ring, which may be offered randomly each supply drop cycle.

Your Resistance Ring can hold up to three orders from any faction as wild cards with upgrades to the facility, and each faction can hold up to two of their own orders if your influence with them is high enough after doing Chosen hunts. Every supply drop cycle (about 21 days) lets you assign orders, which are locked in for that cycle, so you can adapt your strategy as you go.

I'll be listing each order for each faction and analyzing their benefit and if they are worth slotting. A TL;DR version with my top order picks is at the bottom.

Resistance Orders - Reapers

* Lightning Strike - Units gain +3 mobility for the first 2 turns of battle while the squad remains concealed.
This order is garbage and should never be slotted unless there is nothing better, but there is little that is worse than this order. The extra mobility only lasts two turns and most players break concealment on the second or third turn of a timed mission. I can understand that this order can help cover ground faster to an objective, but most maps are balanced enough to get you to the end with time to spare.

* Infiltrate - On timed missions, the timer does not begin until the squad has lost concealment.
One of the best orders in the entire game, and some would argue it's the best altogether. Infiltrate completely changes your approach to missions (minus Neutralize Enemy Commander and Protect the Device Guerilla Ops, and non-timed missions). This order lets you get the best position possible to ambush your first pod of aliens, or if you have a Reaper with Target Definition, you can take time to scout out the map, paint all the enemies, and then start it without running the risk of revealing unwanted aliens. A keeper and must-have, in my opinion.

* Popular Support 1 - Supplies collected from each supply drop are increased by 10%.
* Popular Support 2 - Supplies collected from each supply drop are increased by 15%.
These are separate orders, but you can slot both for a total of +25% Supplies each drop. I can think of better orders to slot for the Reapers and wild cards, though. Not a bad mid-game order when Supplies are tight for upgrades, but it won't make or break you.

* Recruiting Centers - New recruits cost only 15 Supplies.
Unless you're trying to recruit a custom pool character you really want from the recruiting tab or are getting soldiers killed every single mission, do not slot this order.

* Munitions Experts - Experimental Ammo projects in the Proving Grounds are completed instantly.
A nice order but very situational. You'll want to save up some Elerium Cores before you slot this order for the one or two supply cycles you'll need it for. Any projects already queued or in progress will instantly complete after slotting in this order.

* Scavengers - All resource rewards from scanned Rumors are doubled.
Personally I never saw the benefit of this order until the late game. It only works for Rumors offering Supplies, Intel, Alien Alloys, and Elerium Crystals. Most of the time you'll want to be scanning at HQs, making Resistance contact, or investigating better Rumors. I'd pass on this one.

* Live Fire Training - Any recruits training in the GTS will achieve the rank of Sergeant.
I think this order is underrated by many Commanders but it is definitely better earlier than later. Turning Rookies into Sergeants after 5 days (10 days on Legend) in your Guerilla Tactics School is a wonderful investment of time and very efficient. Sergeants can also be used for Low Profile Guerilla Ops and most Resistance Ring Covert Actions need at least Sergeants to run. Any Rookie already training in the GTS before you apply this order will come out a Sergeant.

* Guardian Angels - Covert Actions will not be ambushed.
Some people enjoy ambush missions with the Lost. I'm not one of those people, and I want my soldiers to risk nothing more than wounds out there. Guardian Angels also completely cancels out the Spider and Fly Dark Event, for those of you running Grim Horizon campaigns. A keeper for me.

* Resistance Rising 1 - +1 Resistance Contact.
* Resistance Rising 2 - +2 Resistance Contacts.
Separate orders that can be combined for +3 Resistance Contacts. Situational. Good in a pinch when you need to expand your network coverage to a crucial region but don't have a Resistance Comms up or didn't get lucky with a Resistance Contact Rumor. Otherwise, pass on this. You can't unslot these orders if doing so would mean having your current contacts be higher than your max limit.

* Volunteer Army - On every mission, there is a chance that a Resistance soldier will join the XCOM squad.
This can be a fun little order. The soldier won't appear every mission, but when they do it's a soldier with decent aim equipped with an assault rifle at your level of technology and a grenade. They're expendable too, though their deaths count against your stats in the end, if you care about that.

* Rapid Collection - Resistance supply drops are collected instantly.
Saves you 3 days and some hours every supply drop cycle. Not essential and more of a convenience than anything.

* Between the Eyes - Any XCOM shot that hits the Lost is an instant headshot kill.
If you are playing Grim Horizon and got stuck with Lost World, this is a lifesaver. Lost Missions become even easier than they already are, and Sharpshooters get to feel like real badasses popping Lost with their pistols. Other than that, unless you run into Lost who are stronger than your minimum damage rolls, this order is skippable.

* Ballistics Modelling - The speed of all weapons research is increased by 15%.
Situational. A nice timesaver when you are researching the two magnetic weapons techs, or the four beam weapons techs. I like to slot it if I have this order and not enough scientists or anything better by the time I'm teching up.

* Heavy Equipment - Excavation speed is increased by 50%.
A very good order, and it stacks with the Skirmisher HQ building bonus too. Faster excavation means facilities going up sooner which means a stronger XCOM quicker. The snowball effect of this order cannot be overstated.

* Resistance Network - Contact with new regions is made instantly.
A wonderful order and I love it. No more having to fly to a region and waiting 6-8 days for it to unlock when you could be scanning elsewhere. This order doesn't apply to building radio relays, though. Any regions already being contacted when this order is slotted in will be instantly contacted.

Resistance Orders - Skirmishers

* Vulture - Enemies drop additional loot items.
In vanilla XCOM 2 this order paid for itself in the GTS with extra loot you could sell later in the Black Market. In WOTC this order remains excellent as a source of extra weapon mods, PCSes, and Intel datapads. Just make sure you don't go blowing up every single alien until you get the loot each mission!

* Inside Job I - All Intel rewards increased by 10%.
* Inside Job II - All Intel rewards increased by 15%.
Separate orders that can both be slotted for a +25% Intel bonus. Council missions and sometimes Guerilla Ops offer Intel as a reward, but I don't really care for these orders as Intel is fed to you at a relatively decent drip. There are better orders out there.

* Under the Table I - The Black Market pays an additional 20% for sold items.
* Under the Table II - The Black Market pays an additional 30% for sold items.
Separate orders that can be combined for a +50% sale bonus at the Black Market. If you're going to slot this, stockpile items in advance and take advantage of it during a supply cycle where you're expecting to need a lot of Supplies for upgrades. Otherwise, pass.

* Quid Pro Quo - Black Market Intel costs are reduced by 33%.
If you like buying stuff in the Black Market and have spare Intel, this order can net huge benefits. I like to slot this if I think I'm going to use it but it's situational. If you wait long enough, you can buy all the Superior weapon mods and PCSes you need for cheap, too.

* Bomb Squad - Experimental Grenade and Heavy Weapon projects are completed instantly in the Proving Ground.
Just like the Reapers' Munitions Experts order, save this for when you have a lot of Elerium Cores and want to save time.

* Sabotage - Remove one block of Avatar Project progress at the end of each month.
An excellent order, and gives you a lot of wiggle room and time to manage the Avatar Project. Between this and Reduce Avatar Progress Covert Actions you can literally play the game campaign as long as you want. This order loses a bit of its utility in Grim Horizon as the aliens will stack Dark Events on you, but it still gives you breathing room to access the alien facilities a little later than normal.

* Decoys and Deceptions - All knowledge gained by the Chosen is reduced by 33%.
I like this order to keep the worst of the Chosen actions off me, especially when they create Dark Events in Grim Horizon. This will delay the Avenger Defense mission so you can fight the Chosen more often.

* Private Channel - All mission timers are increased by 2 turns.
Makes timed missions a little more manageable, especially those pesky Neutralize Field Commander ones. Combine this with Infiltrate for even better results!

* Integrated Warfare - All PCS effects are increased.
If you don't have many PCSes, this order won't do much. A good order in the late game when you actually have PCSes, but their effects are icing on the cake.

* Weak Points - Any shredding attack from XCOM does an additional +1 shred to the target.
Early on this order can be useful against MECs and you lack Shredder Grenadiers or higher tier weapons, but otherwise you can pass on this order. There are better combat ones out there.

* Inside Knowledge - The effect of all weapon modifications is increased.
Unlike Integrated Warfare and its PCS bonus, this order is much more useful as it affects weapons that can be slotted with multiple mods and passed around rather than buffing a single soldier, and its effects are felt much earlier. I think this order is a keeper: every single weapon mod gets a +1 bonus to what it does, or a +5% bonus for Scopes.

* Double Agent - On every mission, there is a chance an ADVENT unit will join the XCOM squad.
Just like Volunteer Army for the Reapers, Doube Agent grants you an expendable bonus soldier (an ADVENT Trooper or Lancer) in some missions. If you have a Dark Event that bolsters ADVENT units, though, they also buff your Double Agent! Can actually work quite well with Grim Horizon stacking buffs on ADVENT soldiers. If the ADVENT soldier dies, it counts against your stats.

* Impact Modelling - The speed of all armor research is increased by 15%.
Similar to the Reapers' Ballistic Modeling order. Only really good to research Plated Armor and Powered Armor, so it's extremely situational.

* Modular Construction - Facility construction speed is increased by 25%.
Slightly less useful than the Reapers' Heavy Excavation order but still gives a snowball effect. Stacks with the Skirmisher HQ build speed bonus.

* Information War - The Tech defense of all enemies and hack targets is reduced by 20.
If you like Specialists and buffing their Hacking stat, this is your order. The cool thing about this order is that it weakens not just robotic units' tech defense, but also those of ADVENT sentry towers, hack chest objectives, and locked doors too. This makes getting good rewards much more likely!

* Tactical Analysis - Enemy units lose 1 action on their next turn if discovered on the XCOM turn.
Just like Infiltrate, this order is a game changer and honestly broken in a game full of broken abilities. This makes revealing enemy pods way less punishing and greatly weakens the aliens' ability to defend themselves if they actually get a chance to fight back on their next turn. Take it, slot in, love it.

Resistance Orders - Templars

* Noble Cause - Will recovery in all soldiers is 20% faster.
Will recovery in WOTC is strange. In my experience a soldier can normally go on two missions back-to-back before becoming tired for 8-10 days. This order sometimes lowers the minimum rest time to 6 days, but a weird interaction with the Dark Tower Dark Event with this order makes them tired for 1 day? In any case, there really is no downside to keeping this order slotted if you have it.

* Suit Up - All armor and vest projects in the Proving Ground are completed instantly.
Another Proving Ground order with the same effect as its Reaper and Skirmisher counterpart, so the same effects apply. This order lets you instantly build EXO, War, Spider, and Wraith Suits, as well as the Alien Ruler suits. Situational, of course.

* Trial by Fire - Double the Ability Points gained in combat.
I love this order, it's my favorite Templar one. All those skill events that trigger now and again are doubled, including when you beat up a Chosen or Alien Ruler. The extra Ability Points add up and you will be able to deck out your soldiers with even more abilities in the Training Center!

* Deeper Learning I - Soldier experience gains are increased by 10%.
* Deeper Learning II - Soldier experience gains are increased by 20%.
Separate orders that can be combined for a +30% total. It does what it says on the tin, so you can have more veteran soldiers faster. Not bad when you have nothing better.

* Mental Fortitude - All battle madness (panic, berserk, obsessed, shattered) only lasts one turn.
You won't get panicked regularly outside of Sectoids using Mindspin or if you have a habit of taking tired soldiers out in a mission. A Mindshield completely nullifies these effects anyway. Don't bother with this order if you have access to others.

* Vengeance - When a squadmate dies, the entire squad receives random bonuses for 2 turns.
Don't get your soldiers killed. Don't slot this order.

* Stay With Me - Soldiers are much more likely to bleed out rather than die when their health drops to 0.
Again, don't get your soldiers killed, but there is something to be said about this order and getting unlucky. This order doubles the chances a soldier enters bleedout. The way the bleedout mechanic works is that the game takes the Soldier's will and halves it: that's their percentage chance to enter a bleedout state rather than die outright, but this caps at 50% with a will of 100+. Essentially, the only way to guarantee a soldier enters bleedout is to raise their will to 100+ and have this order slotted. If you want your A-team to be deathproof you have no other option.

* Art of War - Ability Points gained by promotion are increased by 25%.
This order is not retroactive and only gives extra Ability Points when it's slotted in, so if you want more AP for your soldiers to cash in on the Training Center they have to get promoted after this order is active. That said, this is a great order if you like those extra abilities and get it early enough in your soldiers' career.

* Bonds of War - Soldier Bonds grow 25% faster.
Soldier bonds grow at a decent enough speed that this order is simply unnecessary. Forget it.

* Tithe - Resource rewards on all missions are increased by 15%.
This order works not only for both Supplies and Intel rewards, but also Alien Alloys and Elerium Crystals from Supply Raid and UFO missions. A very decent order!

* Greater Resolve - Lightly wounded soldiers can be sent into combat.
The way wounds are calculated in the game (and now having to worry about Will on top of that) means this order is a bit of a trap. Your soldier could be sent out in a pinch, but they'd probably still be tired, and thus a liability, and even likelier to get shot at. And if they're not lightly wounded? Well, they're just not going anyway. Let your soldier rest and take someone else unless it's a dire emergency.

* Feedback - Psionic attacks on XCOM units deal damage to the caster.
Makes all those Sectoids Mindspinning and Codexes dropping Psionic Bombs on your soldiers pay dearly for their impertinence. This order can be very fun to slot in!

* Pursuit of Knowledge - Laboratory facilities provide an additional 20% boost to research times.
If you have a Laboratory up and running this is the rough equivalent of another research station for a Scientist. Faster research is always nice!

* Hidden Reserves I - Gain an additional +2 power on the Avenger.
* Hidden Reserves II - Gain an additional +3 power on the Avenger.
Separate orders that can be combined for +5 power. If you absolutely need extra power on the Avenger for a crucial facility, these orders can serve as a bandage, but that's all they are. Take them, then build a Power Station later. Don't slot these orders otherwise. You can't unslot these orders if doing so would lower your max power under current power.

* Machine Learning - Research breakthroughs are twice as likely to occur.
If you like breakthroughs, then get this order. I think breakthroughs are a bit of a trap on Legend, as you'll want to be teching to magnetic weapons and armor quickly, and then to beam weapons and armor. There is some spare time after mag weapon and plated armor research that lets you dally about the tech tree a bit when you may be lacking Alien Alloys and Elerium Crystals, and obviously after teching your beam weapons and powered armor, but most of my own breakthroughs were taken from the Resistance Ring Covert Actions when a good one was offered there.

TL;DR, the Best Orders (IMO)

Reapers: Infiltrate, Guardian Angels, Heavy Equipment, Resistance Network

Skirmishers: Vulture, Quid Pro Quo, Sabotage, Inside Knowledge, Information War, Tactical Analysis

Templars: Noble Cause, Trial by Fire, Art of War, Tithe, Feedback

My top orders to slot: Infiltrate, Guardian Angels (Reapers), Tactical Analysis, Inside Knowledge (Skirmishers), Trial by Fire, Noble Cause (Templars), Information War, Vulture, Sabotage (Wild)

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 2, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
to the OP with u

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Thanks coolguye! Grab the edited version, I added a couple of things!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
done.

normally i dislike putting specific gameplay advice in the OP because i feel like it discourages discussion of the game, but resistance orders and such are fiddly and annoying enough that having a reference for them seems legit.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

BexGu posted:

I used the Community Mod Manager to completely wipe out everything and start fresh (and dear god did it help clear out crap/make menu's faster) but I lost the name of the mod that adds a button to random a solider appearance when customizing them. It used to sit on the upper right when you went into the customization screen. Any one remember a mod like that?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1215679398&searchtext=random

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Anyone have some recommendations for mods I could use to make another legendary playthrough more interesting? Not necessarily stupidly hard but maybe better balanced or with some new content that isn't stupid and out-of-place. I got the itch for this again but my modding before has always just been quality of life stuff and dumb hats.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Anyone have some recommendations for mods I could use to make another legendary playthrough more interesting? Not necessarily stupidly hard but maybe better balanced or with some new content that isn't stupid and out-of-place. I got the itch for this again but my modding before has always just been quality of life stuff and dumb hats.

Do you want to jack up the difficulty or just introduce some variety

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zore posted:

Do you want to jack up the difficulty or just introduce some variety

Mostly variety, since I feel like the game is already plenty hard if you don't abuse certain cheesy stuff. But I'd also be interested in balances of content and patches to just make certain stuff work properly.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Mostly variety, since I feel like the game is already plenty hard if you don't abuse certain cheesy stuff. But I'd also be interested in balances of content and patches to just make certain stuff work properly.

1) So one thing you might want to look at is the Raider Factions by Reality Machina. This introduces SitReps with a number of third party factions hostile to both aliens and Xcom based on a number of different themes (Rogue Skimishers, Rogue Reapers, Rogue Templar, Human Bandits, Rogue XCOM etc)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1601260788
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1434693497
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1368613369
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1368626625
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1368589567
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1368608233

2) In a similar vein you have MOCX which is a SitRep where ADVENT spawns special forces based on XCOM units (They spawn all the base game classes plus special MECs with SPARK abilities and reclaimed Skirmishers). If you don't finish them off they can even evac, level up and be encountered again.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1129661000

3) World War L makes the Lost more interesting by giving them more variety without doing the dumb poo poo A Better Advent does with the ones that explode

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1163327507

4) CreativeXenos is a group that does a lot of individual and grouped enemy mods. They're fantastic modellers though some of the enemies tend to be overtuned in my experience. I can wholeheartedly recommend the Hive, their new Chryssalid based faction mod, and the Sectiod Abductor as fun enemy types that fit into roles base game aliens don't

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1135951849

5) The only class thing I definitely always use is Mechatronic Warfare for SPARKs. It just makes them a lot more interesting

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1499767042

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
MOCX will pull from your character pool too, anyone set as a able to be an evil
npc or whatever it's called? So make Wesker and Proto Man and stuff like that and force recruit them :getin:

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
You could also revamp Advent entirely.

There's a mod that replaces them with the Imperium of Man, and with the Galactic Empire

As well as a mod that changes the Lost to WH40K Orks as well

I play with the WH40K replacers. It's interesting--lotta things have armor and the advent officer replacement unit likes to run up and chain sword people.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there a mod that replaces the ALIEN ACTIVITY sound chime with the one from EW? I'm weirdly nostalgic over that one piece of audio.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It’s a good, gross noise, I agree.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
EW had amazing sound design in general

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Great post up there. This Phoenix Point game looks terrible. Any reason to not just replay some WOTC instead?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Toozler posted:

Great post up there. This Phoenix Point game looks terrible. Any reason to not just replay some WOTC instead?

If the reviews are correct, PP is a perfect example as to the brilliance of the XCOM team when they decided to heavily streamline the system. All those complexities they added to PP seemed to make the game impossible for the ai.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

so it’s a case study in why the people who make the game stupid hard for fun aren’t good at basic game design?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

TK-42-1 posted:

so it’s a case study in why the people who make the game stupid hard for fun aren’t good at basic game design?

no that's long war

:v:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I play XCOM 2 with a soundboard that has one track only so I can cue up the EW bagpipes when I lose a soldier.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Cpt_Obvious posted:

If the reviews are correct, PP is a perfect example as to the brilliance of the XCOM team when they decided to heavily streamline the system. All those complexities they added to PP seemed to make the game impossible for the ai.
"Impossible for the AI" meaning the computer plays very poorly, and thus the game is too easy?
I played a little with a friend and it definitely seemed like you spent a lot more time reviewing, setting up, and recuperating VS XCOM's much more action-based focus. I do like some of the systems, to be sure, but it's reminding me all over again why building multiple bases piece by piece wasn't a lot of fun. Ammo is tracked by individual clip, too, so that's tons of fun.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Vib Rib posted:

Ammo is tracked by individual clip, too, so that's tons of fun.

You say that as if using sarcasm, but honestly there's a lot of fun to be had with the niggly simulationist type of games. A vividly recall a moment in Laser Squad Nemesis where my commander ran out of ammo and was helpless, despite being surrounded by bodies of his fallen (and well-armed) teammates.

When I tried out Xenonauts again last year, the minutiae of inventory management was actually kinda fun, it was the clunkyness of the older TU/firing/grid system (amongst other things) that turned me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I was indeed being sarcastic because I don't find those things fun, but yes I do agree that taste is subjective.