Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The 'Japanese wrestlers only do flips' argument is especially hilarious because he's using it to talk poo poo about OKADA.

Plus there's actually an argument you could make that Okada's a bigger draw in the US than anyone shy of a John Cena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

What percentage of people who complain about Japanese wrestling with the spotfest/no story thing have never watched NJPW or only watched one big show and expected to know what was going on. It's like 100% right.

Granted I am in the "only really watch the G1 and Wrestle Kingdom" camp but I don't go around complaining that half the show isn't spent telling me why anything is important because it's good enough on its own for me to not really care.

Storytelling to these people is coming out and rambling for 20 plus minutes and then having a match that's basically the same as every other match on the show.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This is the actual worst thing about WWE. It has poisoned the well so bad that so many wrestling fans now think the only way to tell a story is with boring 15-20 minute show opening in-ring promos, and goofy skits.

Also the obvious point that Kazuchika Okada puts together a better, smarter, more logical match than all WWE producers.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

JT Smiley posted:

Complaining about people "taking their ball and going home" will always be stupid as gently caress. These people realize you're allowed to leave a job if you're not happy right? You don't owe your employer poo poo.

No one ever uses the phrase right in the context of wrestling anyway. The thing that sucks about “taking your ball and going home” is that now no one else can play because you got pissy, which has never been the case in when someone decides to tell WWE to gently caress off.

Lead Pipe Cinch fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 2, 2019

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And Okada will make like 75% of the match whatever his opponent does well. Okada vs Ospreay? Gonna let Will The Thrill do a buncha sweet flips on to him. Okada vs Omega? 60 minute epic with emoting galore. Okada/Suzuki? 30 minutes of elbowing the poo poo out of each other and occasional grapple-loving.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

This is the actual worst thing about WWE. It has poisoned the well so bad that so many wrestling fans now think the only way to tell a story is with boring 15-20 minute show opening in-ring promos, and goofy skits.

Also the obvious point that Kazuchika Okada puts together a better, smarter, more logical match than all WWE producers.

They also clearly just conflate all Japanese wrestling as New Japan, because there are companies in Japan (Dragon Gate) that do long, in-ring promo segments regularly.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dimebags Brain posted:

They also clearly just conflate all Japanese wrestling as New Japan, because there are companies in Japan (Dragon Gate) that do long, in-ring promo segments regularly.

Yes but they don't do them in English so that doesn't count. (And to be fair, most if not every New Japan show end with a go-home promo. but again, Japanese not English)

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Yes but they don't do them in English so that doesn't count. (And to be fair, most if not every New Japan show end with a go-home promo. but again, Japanese not English)

And even then, they sometimes have a heel cut the promo in English. I loved when Jay White did it this year (not the "get out of my ring so I can get confetti shot at me," but the one where the crowd was chanting "we don't know what you're saying" at him). And of course ZSJ had my favorite promo of the year after beating Yoshi-Hashi for his belt and his spot in the G1 this year.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I mean seriously, one of Okada's big moves that gets the crowd losing their loving mind is... a dropkick.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Okada turned wearing long pants and switching back into shorts into a story that paid off at the biggest show of the year to rapturous applause.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Yeah Okada's body is hosed up from *taking* a lot of risky moves but his moveset is pretty basic.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

karmicknight posted:

Okada turned wearing long pants and switching back into shorts into a story that paid off at the biggest show of the year to rapturous applause.

also balloons and sometimes scooby doo

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
In a world where NXT exists which has matches that are entirely big move near fall closing stretches and where the only things that main roster WWE crowds react to are big moves saying that Japan is “all flips no story” is really loving stupid.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

In a world where NXT exists which has matches that are entirely big move near fall closing stretches and where the only things that main roster WWE crowds react to are big moves saying that Japan is “all flips no story” is really loving stupid.

That's not fair, they sometimes look at their hands to tell the story that they feel conflicted about their big moves.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I mean that and 20 minute promos are “storytelling” in WWE. That “tell not show” style of stuff is a massive part in why WWE and American wrestling has stunk for a long time: it’s all based about long expositions telling you what to think rather than letting people naturally develop the emotion first and then using it in a match in the future.

The same people who say that sort of dumb stuff is also the same sort of person that’ll call the Fiend story GENIUS after they’ve spent months creating their own back story to cover all of the plot holes and random WWE nonsense during it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

karmicknight posted:

I think I need an explanation for this one.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Vandar posted:

okada's got them long boys

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Alaois posted:

okada's got them long boys

then he got them short boys

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vandar posted:

After Okada lost the title following a Godlike run as Champion, he kind of lost his mind for a little while. He started wearing long pants ("my mommy made them" he explained when Chuckie T asked where he "got them long boys"), carrying balloons to the ring and kind of being in a weird daze half the time both in and out of ring, before becoming manic and shouting things like,"SCOOBY DOOBY DOO!" while going off the top rope. All the CHAOS members were like,"Okay this is weird but he's still Okada, our God-King Leader so... he's going somewhere with this, right?" but he just kept being Weird Kaz until Switchblade Jay White frustrated him so much that he teamed up with Longtime rival Tanahashi to try and stop him... and still failed. At Wrestle Kingdom he came out to FINALLY beat Switchblade, and revealed beneath his robe he was back in his "short boys" and the crowd lost their loving mind. He lost the match anyway (Jay White was insufferable) but it marked the start of the slow transition from Weird Kazu back to God Okada, and now revealing the short boys for a crowd pop has become another part of his in-ring package.

Okada loving owns.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
He shouldve never stopped doing Scooby Dooby Doo

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

He's saving that for when he teams with Chuck Taylor again

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Speaking of English during Japanese shows, I wish I'd saved that clip where Kenny Omega forgot to bring his title belt out with him, and after his entrance he turned to the camera and said, "I forgot the belt! How did that happen? Jesus christ... I'm gonna get in biiiiig trouble!"

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Outside of cutting time off his matches and changing the tombstone to something else Okada would barely need to change a thing to wrestle in the wwe

He even has practice looking at the hard camera for his pose.

He very much works a typical modern day hw style. He's not flipping around the ring

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Outside of cutting time off his matches and changing the tombstone to something else Okada would barely need to change a thing to wrestle in the wwe

He even has practice looking at the hard camera for his pose.

He very much works a typical modern day hw style. He's not flipping around the ring

Uh I think you mean perform, entertain or performance fight. Never wrestle.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
https://mobile.twitter.com/John_TWITWOW/status/1176558065933520897

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

He's saving that for when he teams with Chuck Taylor again

Then. Now. Forever.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

lmao

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That tweet gets worse the longer it goes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Eh I can't knock someone trying to do a good critical read of wrestling stuff. Sure, WWE sucks and all, but if they manage to get a character to resonate with someone, it's worth digging into why. Maybe it's the English major in me but I'm like, sure, let 'em make their case.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Yeah Okada's body is hosed up from *taking* a lot of risky moves but his moveset is pretty basic.

Oh hey, like this loving thing.

https://twitter.com/mrlariato/status/816622033631117312?lang=en

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Maxwell Lord posted:

Eh I can't knock someone trying to do a good critical read of wrestling stuff. Sure, WWE sucks and all, but if they manage to get a character to resonate with someone, it's worth digging into why. Maybe it's the English major in me but I'm like, sure, let 'em make their case.

if it’s bad you can and this is bad

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Bray is one of those guys who is clearly doing stuff on his own in between the margins to add context and depth to his character in a way that was obviously never meant by WWE but is nonetheless valid. Analyzing this is perfectly valid, you could write an essay on Bryan's heel character last year just based on the web-exclusive promos and the subtleties Bryan added to the character by himself.

But, uh, that one is kinda dumb. And I don't think it's what Bray is going for aaaaat all.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

its WWE no one cares except for the nursing homes and bloggers.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
When the talent themselves are able to be creative despite everything in the company going trying to stop them, I care.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MJeff posted:

When the talent themselves are able to be creative despite everything in the company going trying to stop them, I care.

whats your blog

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The Fiend is just "Hey I watched It Chapter One and really liked that part where Pennywise is on the TV, maybe I can do that?"

Followed by HHH calling up Tom Savini and asking him to have some students make a creepy mask instead of the usual skull mask for HHH's Mania entrance.

It's definitely better than most of the crap in WWE but it's not high art and it doesn't have any deep meaning. The Fiend is just another monster heel, he's just SpOoKy.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

coconono posted:

whats your blog

It's right here.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Shine posted:

Speaking of English during Japanese shows, I wish I'd saved that clip where Kenny Omega forgot to bring his title belt out with him, and after his entrance he turned to the camera and said, "I forgot the belt! How did that happen? Jesus christ... I'm gonna get in biiiiig trouble!"

The US title, I assume? I feel like forgetting the world title would genuinely get him in trouble.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yes, this was in 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0wTog_5I9w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm all for giving Wyatt credit that he obviously has a lot of ideas outside WWE's narrow parameters and he has clearly tried to do his own thing in a way few do in WWE but always either gets eaten by the machine or just doesn't work with the machine.

But there are limits to how much credit I'm willing to give him and that tweet thread blows way past them by like tweet 3