Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Dwarf Fortress is designed to run on an Amiga 500 from 1987

that world gen might take 7 months though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ocean Book posted:

I just got Lets Go Eevee and at first Eevee was following behind me and I could talk to it and it would look in bushes and at flowers. It was unbelievably cute, but now it's only riding on my head. Is there truly no way to go back to the Eevee running behind me? I liked it better before : (

If you order it to follow you instead of one of your other dudes it should hop off. I think hover over it and hit the plus button at the party screen.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
That's an option for every other pokemon I have, but not eevee

I just liked having a curious cat follow me around and the game did a good job getting me invested in her. I've decided I'll move on and have a vulpix or something follow me later.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

drat. Looks like I have faulty memory. A quick google says they're trapped on your head forever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barudak posted:

Yeah, Great Sword and Shield will probably be pretty good

You mean Tower Shield

I need that meme of how the intended audience and actual audience for Pokemon and Call of Duty are swapped.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FoolyCharged posted:

Sword and shield aren't bad because they weren't targeting me, they're bad because so little effort was put into them and it shows. A literal windows mouse cursor crosses the screen during the credits. That's real. That's hilarious and it's ok to laugh at the bad pokemon game and maybe look at why it felt bad outside of the obvious.

that's just a meme dont you like memes we put all the memes in this game so you would enjoy it memes memes memes

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Survival games are trash without poop mechanics.

I've been playing The Long Dark and my guy has eaten nothing but venison and condensed milk for a week. He should be taking serious rear end damage from constipation. Also you can get food poisoning from spoiled food but that isn't much of a problem because all you need to do is take some medicine and sleep it off. I should be forced to go out and squat in the blizzard every hour and try not to get frostbite on my butt.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

QuarkJets posted:

Nah those games are actually aimed at the same demographic as Pokemon

Yes that is the point that I am making.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Icochet posted:

Survival games are trash without poop mechanics.

I've been playing The Long Dark and my guy has eaten nothing but venison and condensed milk for a week. He should be taking serious rear end damage from constipation. Also you can get food poisoning from spoiled food but that isn't much of a problem because all you need to do is take some medicine and sleep it off. I should be forced to go out and squat in the blizzard every hour and try not to get frostbite on my butt.

The only poop mechanics I thought actually added to a game was the optional mini game in The Fractured But Whole

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You poor bastards are just asking for Space Station 13 stories

I always recall that without context people assumed the poop stories must be talking about football players

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

goethe.cx posted:

Pokemon Sword was a little disappointing. You just travel from gym to gym and then you're at the championship. The older games at least had diversions like exploring Silph Co or a Team Rocket hideout, and I liked that certain areas were gated off by HMs, etc.

Yeah, I miss stuff like having a B plot where you take out Team Rocket on your way to becoming champion. The series still hasn’t passed G/S and its remakes, those games had so much going on and a really fun world to explore.

My own hot take: Disco Elysium was good but I don’t think it was the best game of the year.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, I miss stuff like having a B plot where you take out Team Rocket on your way to becoming champion. The series still hasn’t passed G/S and its remakes, those games had so much going on and a really fun world to explore.

the people in charge of pokemon have obviously been coasting on the formula they came up with in the Gold version for the last 20 years. i mean i can't blame them, why screw with a good thing?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

the people in charge of pokemon have obviously been coasting on the formula they came up with in the Gold version for the last 20 years. i mean i can't blame them, why screw with a good thing?

I mean, the problem is they’ve kinda dropped what made the formula work. There’s no day/night cycle based on the system clock in Shield, no events based on the day of the week, the map is smaller, there’s no dumb fun stuff like the bug catching contest, there’s no b-plot to really work with, it all feels kind of small.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I mean, the problem is they’ve kinda dropped what made the formula work. There’s no day/night cycle based on the system clock in Shield, no events based on the day of the week, the map is smaller, there’s no dumb fun stuff like the bug catching contest, there’s no b-plot to really work with, it all feels kind of small.

this is kind of funny. I've been screwing around with Pokemon Essentials lately. its basically Pokemon Maker and all of those features are just build into the engine by default. it even comes with a full roster of all the pokemon/moves from every generation.

Gamefreak has become so lazy they can't even compete with the free pokemon fan-game tools

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

Honestly that's why I feel like the Mystery dungeon games (not Super Mystery Dungeon or that other bs one) are the best in the series. They have really good music, plenty of places to explore, and I find the post game a lot more interesting. Obviously it's a lot simpler from a mechanics standpoint but it doesn't really feel that way. Pokemon Crystal is probably the apex of the main series though. Exploring two whole regions blew my mind as a little kid.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DildenAnders posted:

Pokemon Crystal is probably the apex of the main series though. Exploring two whole regions blew my mind as a little kid.

Pokemon Crystal + Universal Pokemon Randomizer is all the pokemon anyone really needs

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Even though she's no FemShep, casual, cocky, flippant Sara Ryder is a good main character.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
What I really like about pokemon is walking around the world and seeing what the places are like and talking to people. like a calm and pleasant 2D walking simulator essentially. The pokemon battles themselves we're mostly an inconvenience outside of catching new cool ones. Obviously they aren't challenging.

I really like in let's go I can have cool looking pokemon follow me around, see other peoples pokemon hanging around with them, and see/dodge the wild pokemon wandering their environment. I've gotten over eevee not walking beside me and I have a little nidoran bunny instead :3:

I know there are probably other games that provide a 2D walking simulator experience better but I already know and like the world, the lore, the generally cute and wholesome ambiance. It's like when a new book in a mediocre fantasy series you read in high school comes out, there are better books but you know these characters, it's easy to get into, and you genuinely enjoy it.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
In conclusion; the best pokeyman is Detective Pikachu because it actually has a fairly well developed and decent story. It's a god drat miracle it's the game they decided to make into a movie considering nobody played it but it payed off.
It's a stupid movie for kids, sure, but imagine if they'd just retold the story of Ash getting his Pikachu for the millionth time. It would have been utter garbage.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lodin posted:

In conclusion; the best pokeyman is Detective Pikachu because it actually has a fairly well developed and decent story. It's a god drat miracle it's the game they decided to make into a movie considering nobody played it but it payed off.
It's a stupid movie for kids, sure, but imagine if they'd just retold the story of Ash getting his Pikachu for the millionth time. It would have been utter garbage.

I watched it on a plane without sound so I'm kind of fuzzy but the back half of Detective Pikachu's plot seemed almost exactly the same as the original Pokemon movie (Mewtwo isn't evil just misunderstood, Pikachu dies defending the human character but Mewtwo brings him back to life, Mewtwo fixes all the damage it caused and disappears)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the first castlevania is really bad but has incredible music

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
i can't decide which one is worse: castlevania 1's frankenstein or its dracula

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bonaventure posted:

i can't decide which one is worse: castlevania 1's frankenstein or its dracula

*Dracula's vampire

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

food court bailiff posted:

the first castlevania is really bad but has incredible music

its true castlevania 1 is pretty bad. but castlevania 2 is better than metroid

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

My own hot take: Disco Elysium was good but I don’t think it was the best game of the year.

I'm having trouble finishing Disco Elysium, like I think I may be halfway through but just can't summon the willpower to go back and keep playing it. It's really good for a narrative-heavy RPG, it's witty and funny and does everything that this kind of game should do and has some really innovative concepts that are executed really well. But still, I'm just not having much fun

LouisF
Mar 16, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

QuarkJets posted:

I'm having trouble finishing Disco Elysium, like I think I may be halfway through but just can't summon the willpower to go back and keep playing it. It's really good for a narrative-heavy RPG, it's witty and funny and does everything that this kind of game should do and has some really innovative concepts that are executed really well. But still, I'm just not having much fun

It's only fun in a sad sack "i wish i could express myself" way. think "hotline miami" except being socially unkempt instead of a spree killer.

i liked it enough to play through it once, for what its worth. not worth another playthrough cuz the being a detective part is tacked on entirely. idk if thats worth a spoiler. what im saying is if you liked to try to guess the culprit while reading "encyclopedia brown" you arent gonna have that kinda fun with disco elysium.

edit: this post is gonna change in tone on the second complaint.

There is a TON of race debate in the game, and its annoying. it just is. Youve got a partner who plays the role of "straight laced by the books guy" and he fits it to a T until one of many/ a handful of "race based dialogue encounters" comes up. He's asian, and there are 3 npcs who exist almost entirely to talk about Kim being asian. They sorta sideline it by having the game take place in a realistic fantasy, but hes basically talked about like an orc among elves(or elf among humans or hobbit among dwarves). I'll drop it here to get to the part that bugs me:

Theres a few things you can ask him about. One is the glasses he wears. You have the option to say "they look cool" or "glasses are for nerds." Later on, during an interactive cutscene, you get to ask him a few more questions. One of them is "so how about your *point to eyes*" and picking it has him talk about being a fantasy asian. Why did this show ignorance of the writers of the game? C'mon, you already figured it out after reading this far. You can talk to him about his glasses IN THE GAME.

I'm roleplaying a cop and sitting here like "well he talked about his aim before and he's a serious buisiness guy might as well see how being nearsighted affects his aim" and the devs kinda do that nedry thing from jurassic park and go "nuh uh uh! you picked the RACIST option!" and from me to you thats either a lovely gotcha or the devs themselves got some noticeable issues to work on.

every other option I chose I could justify the outcome of.

...I would like to talk about Measurehead tho because there was something very unsatisfying about hitting him. Might as well try it now.

Measurehead is a gigantic musclebound tattood deep voiced man. He also uses "racial superiority" to talk down to you.

He's also black.

That first sentence there? Thats him. A big scary guy who insults you with racism. Feels good to muster up courage and shut him up.

Like, idk where to start. Mentioning his race after is a "gotcha" of my own, to the developers.

At the end of the day he's my favorite character, and i doubt that was intended. What was intended was a strawman on steroids.

When you meet him, the devs are going "hes the coolest(and black), the strongest(and black) and the smartest(and black) and he gets alllll the girls."

For what it's worth, a dude who fits that description is my best friend, and he also makes sure I stay sober, which is the only redeeming quality the devs wrote for Measurehead.

LouisF fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 2, 2019

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Disco Elysium is the kind of game where I think to myself "this is good, I think, objectively... from a rational standpoint" as I'm playing, and yet I just really don't enjoy it.

It's just too much reading and not enough gameplay imo. I can enjoy a narrative-heavy experience but this is like one step removed from a novel. It's just endless pages and pages of text and voice, with almost nothing to supplement. It's all narrative and no game. I need something more balanced.

I don't think I'm going to finish it. Still, I give it props for doing something very few entertainment products can. I actually laughed out loud while in a room by myself at some of the humor.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It's very hard for me to really hate a game on the NES really, I still get some enjoyment out of crappy, janky ones like M.U.S.C.L.E. or whatever, the NES is just a very pleasing console and I can't think of a single NES game I hate

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
"so I was at the 7/11 stuffing candy bars into my pockets when..."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

LouisF posted:

It's only fun in a sad sack "i wish i could express myself" way. think "hotline miami" except being socially unkempt instead of a spree killer.

i liked it enough to play through it once, for what its worth. not worth another playthrough cuz the being a detective part is tacked on entirely. idk if thats worth a spoiler. what im saying is if you liked to try to guess the culprit while reading "encyclopedia brown" you arent gonna have that kinda fun with disco elysium.

edit: this post is gonna change in tone on the second complaint.

There is a TON of race debate in the game, and its annoying. it just is. Youve got a partner who plays the role of "straight laced by the books guy" and he fits it to a T until one of many/ a handful of "race based dialogue encounters" comes up. He's asian, and there are 3 npcs who exist almost entirely to talk about Kim being asian. They sorta sideline it by having the game take place in a realistic fantasy, but hes basically talked about like an orc among elves(or elf among humans or hobbit among dwarves). I'll drop it here to get to the part that bugs me:

Theres a few things you can ask him about. One is the glasses he wears. You have the option to say "they look cool" or "glasses are for nerds." Later on, during an interactive cutscene, you get to ask him a few more questions. One of them is "so how about your *point to eyes*" and picking it has him talk about being a fantasy asian. Why did this show ignorance of the writers of the game? C'mon, you already figured it out after reading this far. You can talk to him about his glasses IN THE GAME.

I'm roleplaying a cop and sitting here like "well he talked about his aim before and he's a serious buisiness guy might as well see how being nearsighted affects his aim" and the devs kinda do that nedry thing from jurassic park and go "nuh uh uh! you picked the RACIST option!" and from me to you thats either a lovely gotcha or the devs themselves got some noticeable issues to work on.

every other option I chose I could justify the outcome of.

...I would like to talk about Measurehead tho because there was something very unsatisfying about hitting him. Might as well try it now.

Measurehead is a gigantic musclebound tattood deep voiced man. He also uses "racial superiority" to talk down to you.

He's also black.

That first sentence there? Thats him. A big scary guy who insults you with racism. Feels good to muster up courage and shut him up.

Like, idk where to start. Mentioning his race after is a "gotcha" of my own, to the developers.

At the end of the day he's my favorite character, and i doubt that was intended. What was intended was a strawman on steroids.

When you meet him, the devs are going "hes the coolest(and black), the strongest(and black) and the smartest(and black) and he gets alllll the girls."

For what it's worth, a dude who fits that description is my best friend, and he also makes sure I stay sober, which is the only redeeming quality the devs wrote for Measurehead.

I think you misread some of the interactions in the game quite a bit.

LouisF
Mar 16, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

steinrokkan posted:

I think you misread some of the interactions in the game quite a bit.

Aint gonna tell you to shut up I'd rather get your point of view, because I feel we are in agreement but idk if I misread it for better or worse.

edit: you know what? thats just a comment and I do apologize I thought you wanted to start a debate about it.

LouisF fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 2, 2019

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Shibawanko posted:

It's very hard for me to really hate a game on the NES really, I still get some enjoyment out of crappy, janky ones like M.U.S.C.L.E. or whatever, the NES is just a very pleasing console and I can't think of a single NES game I hate

i was gonna agree here (you'll note i said castlevania is bad, not that i hate it) but then i remembered mighty bomb jack and gently caress mighty bomb jack

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

LouisF posted:

Aint gonna tell you to shut up I'd rather get your point of view, because I feel we are in agreement but idk if I misread it for better or worse.

edit: you know what? thats just a comment and I do apologize I thought you wanted to start a debate about it.

I mean, your point was that the devs tried to make Measurehead seem like a loser / bad guy, but actually he was cool?`

LouisF
Mar 16, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

steinrokkan posted:

I mean, your point was that the devs tried to make Measurehead seem like a loser / bad guy, but actually he was cool?`

Yeah, I think so. On the surface he's the guy youre NOT. The mc(yes I consider the guy we play as name a spoiler) looks more like the "racist lorry driver" in build than Measurehead. Hes sorta fat, shorter, prolly something else too. Measurehead himself uses "incel memes" as rhetoric, disguised under a layer of racism. Stuff like "your chin doesnt jut out correctly" is one of the things he says. And all the made up fantasy "races" he talks about muddy that because as a viewer we kinda have to make up whose who. I misread/heard "semenese" as "sudanese" several times, as an example. I will say the bottom line behind spoilers He is the only person in the entire game to provide a thought bubble about Harry's alchoholism, or for sure provides the longest one to think about. Every other NPC that talks to the player either hints at it with "wow you sure were a mess that night" comments or the partner yelling at us with "youre a goddamn mess harry!" statements. The only thing Measurehead ever says beyond bullshit about being better than you is "you're an alchoholic" and then he goes back to his "ha-ha-ha" superior attitude.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Measurehead is a shallow and powerless goon who spouts out hypocritical race-science nonsense (which nobody else takes seriously at all) to rationalize all the ways in which he perceives the reality not to align with his self-perception and expectations - you see, the entire society is un-natural, perverse, and its inevitable purging will bring him to his deserved place. Even all his preaching about alcohol is just borrowed straight from alt-right bulletins.

LouisF
Mar 16, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

steinrokkan posted:

Measurehead is a shallow and powerless goon who spouts out hypocritical race-science nonsense to rationalize all the ways in which he perceives the reality not to align with his self-perception and expectations. Even all his preaching about alcohol is just borrowed straight from alt-right bulletins.

Allll of that first part is true. You arent a wizard tho harry: youre a drunk.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

People who identify with companies' interests over just a normal guy who wants a game should get their asses kicked

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Shibawanko posted:

People who identify with companies' interests over just a normal guy who wants a game should get their asses kicked

I've legit upset people by mentioning that I sometimes pirate games to demo them. This odd corps=friends mentality some people have confounds me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

ChazTurbo posted:

I've legit upset people by mentioning that I sometimes pirate games to demo them. This odd corps=friends mentality some people have confounds me.

Steam and Game Pass Ultimate are so loving inexpensive that piracy for me is not really a thing anymore. For me piracy was mostly about being completely broke, but wanting to play some cool poo poo back in the day. Cracking copy protection for "educational purposes" was also a lot of fun. I found more than one message hidden in the game code basically telling pirates to gently caress off.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 3, 2019