Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

If the clones on Europa were manhattan creations the fact that they're all basically the same (dumb) person suggests maybe his return to earth to become human again was driven by what he saw as a complete failure.

I tried to check whether or not the documentary of Ostermans life showed a pre accident Jon but it goes out of its way to not show his face, which makes me more convinced Mr Phillips are all Jon's.

Kill All Cops posted:

To sell the toys that one of Angela's kids plays with

Which look like Veidts castle, and may be based on it. Hrm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I think what might be tripping me up is that I really liked how the Hooded Justice reveal was given its own huge episode, while this twist gets a straight-up cliffhanger and we have to wait a week to see if they stick the landing.

The whole season set up has been pretty unique, with eps 1-3 introducing the characters with mostly Angela's POV, ep 4 Agent Blake, ep 5 LG, ep 6 HJ Nostalgia pills, and ep 7 back to Angela POV plus her past.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

DC Murderverse posted:

I think Lindelof said that he wouldn't be involved in any hypothetical second season

He's really waffled on this actually. He did say he hasn't thought about what the second season would be at all yet, and he wouldn't come back unless he had a good story to tell.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

ozmunkeh posted:

Maybe someone really wanted to tell that HJ story and just crudely draped the rest of the show around it in order to get it made.

For what it is worth, I think Lindelof has stated that HJ being Black was the story hook that got him to finally take on the project, so that is indeed the story they wanted to tell with everything else added on top of that.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I think I'd be a lot more confident if we had actually gotten real answers about the nature of Veidt's imprisonment last night, instead of farts and hogs.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I think I'd be a lot more confident if we had actually gotten real answers about the nature of Veidt's imprisonment last night, instead of farts and hogs.

:thunk:
its almost like we got the answer

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

KoRMaK posted:

:thunk:
its almost like we got the answer
We have the "where," but we don't have the "who" or the "why" or the "how."

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
The baby pig was cute.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
One problem with a second season is what the overarching plot will be. Another "save the world from a global threat" will feel like a rehash if done for the third time.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

KoRMaK posted:

<3

Laurie was doing that thing where she goes on the offensive by busting open the poo poo that should be secret to put the other person who thought they would have a secret on the defense

Judd's wife basically admitting to all of it in a cavalier manner completely threw Laurie off. Her strategy blew up in her face, which I think is enough of a reason as to why she didn't go into high alert with the trap door chair.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lube Man is keeping him prisoner to ensure things on Earth run... smoothly...

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Crazy theory time:

Trieu says that her father will be with them soon. Who is her father? The assumption at the start is that it's the Comedian, although speculation now is that it's Veidt, and I'd also make a case for Dr. Manhattan being her 'father' on the evidence that he's just returned. But I think we need to look at the obvious: She brought her mother back as a clone and is dosing her with memories of that life. The obvious assumption at the start was that her father is the Comedian, and honestly most answers have been fairly straightforward so far in this show. So she would need a clone of him, and need to slip his memories to him over time so that he can come back soon.
So who is the only possible candidate to be a clone of the Comedian, being the right age, sex, etc?

Petey.

And if he's lubeman, he's following his inherited genetic memories of being a costumed vigilante. That's why he loves the history of the masked adventurers.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

He's too scrawny.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Mike the TV posted:

Crazy theory time:

Trieu says that her father will be with them soon. Who is her father? The assumption at the start is that it's the Comedian, although speculation now is that it's Veidt, and I'd also make a case for Dr. Manhattan being her 'father' on the evidence that he's just returned. But I think we need to look at the obvious: She brought her mother back as a clone and is dosing her with memories of that life. The obvious assumption at the start was that her father is the Comedian, and honestly most answers have been fairly straightforward so far in this show. So she would need a clone of him, and need to slip his memories to him over time so that he can come back soon.
So who is the only possible candidate to be a clone of the Comedian, being the right age, sex, etc?

Petey.

And if he's lubeman, he's following his inherited genetic memories of being a costumed vigilante. That's why he loves the history of the masked adventurers.

Laurie would recognize him though? I guess he's younger than when he fathered her but he wouldn't look too far off.

parara
Apr 9, 2010
I genuinely love how this thread is rapidly spiraling into Luuke Skywalker territory.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Colonel Whitey posted:

Laurie would recognize him though? I guess he's younger than when he fathered her but he wouldn't look too far off.

I think that theory is way off, but it would be a reason for her to pick him out of all the agents on that team.

(She definitely just picked him because he’d stay out of the way and be easy to manage, though)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ymgve posted:

One problem with a second season is what the overarching plot will be. Another "save the world from a global threat" will feel like a rehash if done for the third time.

It'll be like season 2 of Big Little Lies where Angela and Jon have to endure a lengthy court battle to keep their kids after their secret is revealed.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Another season that’s just Dan acclimating to freedom and thus the setting after being released from prison and solving some low-stakes mystery with some random selection of surviving characters from this season would be ok, or just something completely new with just the setting would be fine.

I actually would have liked this season better if it had just been about stopping a bunch of chuds from taking over Tulsa and the sci-fi stuff had been more limited.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'm so glad the writers room didnt read the internet and allow it to shape the story and that they weren't stupidly reactionary to things being guessed

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yes, and it would make their coworkers with benefits situation incestuous

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

KoRMaK posted:

I'm so glad the writers room didnt read the internet and allow it to shape the story and that they weren't stupidly reactionary to things being guessed

Pretty sure the entire season was in the can before anything aired.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
If Trieu’s mother was the woman the comedian killed, then her “daughter” wouldn’t have dreams of being an old woman. She looked to be in her 20s when she died.

Unless Manhattan somehow brought her back to life out of guilt? In which case Trieu might view Manhattan as her dad.

But I’m thinking it’s Veidt.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Klungar posted:

Pretty sure the entire season was in the can before anything aired.

Yeah like...does anybody actually think they're still filming or even editing? What a time crunch that would be.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Guess with this NOVA EXPRESS cover we can guess that HBO said "Yeah, bright glowy eyes? Not in the CGI budget, love."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah like...does anybody actually think they're still filming or even editing? What a time crunch that would be.

No, my point was how good of an idea it is to have it all in the can, unlike the disaster of Westworld s2

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

No second season please. Let this be the thing that ends instead of nothing ever ends

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Harlock posted:

No second season please. Let this be the thing that ends instead of nothing ever ends

FADE IN - Dan Dreiberg (late 60s, dad bod but ruggedly handsome for his age) jacking it in a federal prison cell

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 2, 2019

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

KoRMaK posted:

No, my point was how good of an idea it is to have it all in the can, unlike the disaster of Westworld s2

...Do you think Westworld s2 wasn't? Because whatever its flaws were, that wasn't it.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

They were doing edits and reshoots for Westworld S2 really really close to air time I thought. Like, editing later season eps while the first couple eps were airing. I Could be wrong

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 2, 2019

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

KoRMaK posted:

They were doing edits and reshoots really really close to air time I thought. Like, editing later season eps while the first couple eps were airing. I Could be wrong

I used to work in subtitling and dubbing and barring a major change these episodes were picture locked at least 2 months ago.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I'm starting to suspect the 7th Cavalry might not be very fine people.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Orange Devil posted:

I'm starting to suspect the 7th Cavalry might not be very fine people.
I dunno, they seem all white to me.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
Yeah, there's no way that something with that level of complex production (all the special effects, location shoots, actors with busy schedules) that they were still shooting or making big edits while the season was airing.

Jonathon Nolan made a joke in an interview or on a panel about Reddit predicting the whole season and them changing everything which the Internet at large took seriously, so that's probably where that rumor started.

Anyway, Joe Keene's "We're totally not racist...but it's hard for a white man in America" bit was pretty great. Looking forward to whatever horrifying fate awaits him in the finale.

Problematic Pigeon fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 2, 2019

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Raxivace posted:

I dunno, they seem all white to me.

I guess we give them the benefit of the doubt for at least another episode.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I thought this episode was garbage personally.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Is Petey lube guy?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

God drat, I could not place the voice of The Warden.
I did not recognize Tom Mison without his beard.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So I'm thinking that Veidt wanted to go to Europa because his big plan to bring utopia to the world didn't work and he became disillusioned and had some mental break. Sure he saved the world, but it's still a pretty lovely place.

This is why he is acting so cavalier about the clones and their lives. Nothing matters to him, it's all a joke. He's turned into the Comedian.

It's also why he doesn't offer a defense at his trial. Sure, he makes a joke with the fart, but at the end we see him nearly crying and looking extremely remorseful. The weight of all the people he's killed has finally got him. So he accepts his fate.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Can’t believe he had a dr Manhattan secret decoder ring in his skull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Peteypedia references Mondo Video, which was the videostore from Parker Lewis Can't Lose.