Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

SettingSun posted:

I know it’s not the in thing but I’m having a great time with Evolve. It’s like Kittens Game but more, and KG is my favorite idle. Evolve may surpass that.

I just closed the tab because there isn't any clear progression. They keep adding features that seem to exist to give more time achievement bonuses and nothing that changes gameplay in any meaningful way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I’m sure that’ll be a problem when I get to black hole resets but I’m still bioseeding so I have a way to go before I don’t have any clear progression.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Yeah, if anything I felt the opposite, like Evolve was the 2048 to KG's Threes. It's broader and more frictionless, but less depth and complexity.

NGU question: if I understand things right, offline progression will only raise something to cap, but won't advance to the next item. w-why?

Francis fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 1, 2019

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Because it doesn't simulate the actual passage of time, it just knows how long you've been offline and multiplies your numbers by that when you log back in.

As for why it does that the answer is almost certainly because it's massively simpler to program and means players aren't confronted with a loading bar commensurate with the time they've been away.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

ignoring the cap is both easier and better for the player

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Some things do ignore the cap (Augments and Time Machine are the two that come to mind), and some things don't and that inconsistency bugs me way more.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Meinberg posted:

Huh, an idle CCG isn’t the worst idea I’ve heard of, I think it might actually work out fairly decently.

The eternally underrated Anti-Idle had/has a CCG component so it's certainly not a new idea.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
It's.not exactly a new game within NGU, just a new feature that will use some ccg-like elements.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Looking forward to playing some trap cards
face down
in defense mode

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Youth Decay posted:

The eternally underrated Anti-Idle had/has a CCG component so it's certainly not a new idea.

Tukkun's version of a CCG could stand on its own, it was that good. I wonder what 4G will come up with - Tarot cards?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Blattdorf posted:

Tukkun's version of a CCG could stand on its own, it was that good. I wonder what 4G will come up with - Tarot cards?

Collectible cards and deckbuilding with automated play is my hope.

Face a new opponent, build a deck to beat them with the cards you have.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Devor posted:

Collectible cards and deckbuilding with automated play is my hope.

Face a new opponent, build a deck to beat them with the cards you have.

With fun rules like the fake Magic Cards or whatever they are called when they have rules like tear this card up and do the chicken dance if your opponent laughs you now own one of their cards but may not use it this game.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

pixaal posted:

With fun rules like the fake Magic Cards or whatever they are called when they have rules like tear this card up and do the chicken dance if your opponent laughs you now own one of their cards but may not use it this game.

Denimwalk

https://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=8904

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

The greatest unglued card was toy boat. Cumulative upkeep : say "toy boat".

For those that aren't magic players, a cumulative upkeep adds itself to the total upkeep every turn. So 5 turns in you've gotta say "toy boat" 5 times or you lose the creature. The second joke set was trying way too hard and wasn't nearly as amusing but unlgued was just the right level of wacky in-jokes.

I'm intrigued to see what NGU's brand of self-indulgent humor will create here.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
oh jeez... i think everyone's gonna be disappointed with what the feature will be. it doesn't involve an actual new game or anything, it's just a wrapper for more numbers to go up :v:

something fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 3, 2019

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I've heard 4g is implementing Artifact 2 inside of NGU.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Is it going to use First In First Out, or use the stack like current MTG?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
You have to spend AP to buy the rules updates.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
As long as I get to punch Jace in the dick, im happy with this update.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm pretty sure Jace will punch you in the dick, and only after several months will you finally be strong enough to return the favour.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cinara posted:

I've heard 4g is implementing Artifact 2 inside of NGU.
I heard it was a complete rewrite of Microprose's Magic the Gathering: Shandalar.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

something posted:

. it doesn't involve an actual game or anything, it's just a wrapper for more numbers to go up :v:

IDLE GAMES

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

something posted:

oh jeez... i think everyone's gonna be disappointed with what the feature will be. it doesn't involve an actual new game or anything, it's just a wrapper for more numbers to go up :v:

I've been playing your game for months, and only just now did I realize what "NGU" stands for. :doh:

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
no no no

like, you never clicked the feature called NGU in the game called NGU and read any of the text?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just realized NGU Idle was a made by a goon, when I got to the boss with the :effort: description. (boss 80)

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

just found out the game ive been playing for 6 months is called “NGU Idle” :eyepop:

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
just found out i made this game

what the hell have i been drinking

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

something posted:

sacramental bleach

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

something posted:

You should post in the drinking thread with me

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Arcanum/Theory of Magic; the winter update is here. (On Kongregate.)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Eldercain posted:

You should post in the drinking thread with me

Is it basically like being at a bar only 1/10 the price since everyone is drinking their own booze?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
why did I spend my night chaining the first 3 troll challenges

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

why did I spend my night chaining the first 3 troll challenges

oh so thats why i slept so well last night.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

something posted:

oh so thats why i slept so well last night.

I got fooled on box #48 out of 50, so I hope theres a special place in hell for you

Although, all in all it took me about 3 1/2 hours to run em all, though tc3 took almost 2 hours of that

I dont know why people hate that cat so much

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Crossposting something (:v:) that takes on a different meaning in this thread.

something posted:

yeah, i'm never a fan of difficulties that are "make your numbers go down and enemies' numbers go up".

:v:

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

realtalk challenges are kind of bad and is there any plan to revamp them

all of the non-iterative challenges are incredibly dull and contrary to the spirit of the game
I will forgive Basic Challenge because it's useful and necessary to complete it early and it feels good to complete it in smaller and smaller amounts of time. Still, 25 is a bit much.
100/aug/equip are all almost pointless because the rewards are mediocre, being pure ATK/DEF bonuses that only take a non-prohibitive amount of time once adventure stats rule everything. By the time it's at all worth doing them they're effectively Basic Challenges that aren't challenges at all because of how trivial they are to complete and how low the bar is set. 100 in particular does not feel like any kind of variation regardless of when in progression you grind it out.
NGU challenge is just "hey remember when you ground out Basic Challenges? Do that again." which is fine I guess, whatever.
Troll and Blind are the only actually good challenges don't @ me

tl;dr: challenges are a boring grind that take you away from Numbers Going Up

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

All of this has been brought up to something multiple times and his answer has pretty consistently been "removing them would lovely nerds angry and it isn't worth it". :shrug:

At least the only ones with rewards in Evil are Basic/No Rebirth/No TM/No NGU/Troll/Blind, and not the really lovely "do the exact same thing 80 times in a row" ones.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The lovely challenges are the ones that are 80x repetitive. The ones that you do like 10 or 15 times are ok. No augs it ok, 100 is ok, NGU is fine. But loving 24 hour and no rebirth sucks.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
something let us start challenges as soon as we've finished one so that we can at least knock out the ones we're overlevelled for quickly, instead of having to spend literal hours waiting for the 3-minute timer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

All of this has been brought up to something multiple times and his answer has pretty consistently been "removing them would lovely nerds angry and it isn't worth it". :shrug:

At least the only ones with rewards in Evil are Basic/No Rebirth/No TM/No NGU/Troll/Blind, and not the really lovely "do the exact same thing 80 times in a row" ones.

so what you're saying is that more lovely nerds need to bitch about how awful they are, constantly and in the reediest, most nasal voice possible

24 and no rebirth are fine because the rewards scale appropriately and it's an interesting question of how far you can go before running out of gas, so to speak