Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Drone_Fragger posted:

decided im gonna vote changeuk this election, I mean. someone has to. otherwise they won't stand next election and won't be able to waste their money anymore by losing their deposits :< :< :<

In the spirit of CUK you should vote for another party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

CGI Stardust posted:

please don't be mean. how could you be mean to this face

Look at the goddamn state of that, it's essentially the squirrel form of the clown makeup meme.

I've gone on record before in this thread about my Jo; like hatred of grey squirrels (apple scrumping, tree killing, poor wee birdie slaughtering arseholes that they are). But this makes me doubt my faith in a just and loving god.

E: I feel like I need to remind people: If you catch a grey squirrel you are legally obliged to kill it rather than release it.
EE: Fair point

RockyB fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 2, 2019

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I just chucked £50 in the Labour coffers.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Just had my first Tory advert on YouTube. Bit dystopian with lots of flash cuts and GETBREXITDUN as the final message.

Clearly the media blitz is in full swing.

Wish they'd gently caress off and let me watch my dashcam videos in peace.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Miftan posted:

lol don't worry he won't.

He was Culture secretary for about ten minutes before the 2010 election, and the main effect of that was that he spent less time on local issues. Though I suppose there are only so many hours in the day, and someone's got to be in the cabinet, so all I have is "the cabinet should be the MPs for other places", which isn't helpful at all.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Still striking this week. The sun was out today so it was almost warm outside our building. Heard some good news from our branch leaders that progress is being made in negotiations & non-striking sites re-balloting.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jollity Farm posted:

I will still vote for him though, as the next most likely to get in is the Conservative candidate, and they're probably much worse. I don't want him to get a cabinet position though :colbert:

Exegoon spotted

PM if you wanna hang out with The Other Ones

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Has Trump started campaigning for Boris yet

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

RockyB posted:

E: I feel like I need to remind people: If you catch a grey squirrel you are legally obliged to kill it rather than release it.

Important detail.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

RockyB posted:

Look at the goddamn state of that, it's essentially the squirrel form of the clown makeup meme.

I've gone on record before in this thread about my Jo; like hatred of grey squirrels (apple scrumping, tree killing, poor wee birdie slaughtering arseholes that they are). But this makes me doubt my faith in a just and loving god.

But humanely. It is illegal to cause it unnecessary suffering. But apparently bashing it on the head is considered humane. Elsewhere it says a professional pest controller must be used.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Aw man, those squirrels are adorable.

And yeah I think any sort of direct brain trauma is generally considered the most humane way to kill something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Meridian Rizing posted:

Long time lurker :justpost:ing for almost the first time.

Went out canvassing around Middlesbrough South for the first time was suprisingly straightforward once I found the group. Was a generally even mix of responses.
Was pretty quick as well was done in just over an hour, if anyone was wondering how long it takes and you can drop in and out as you need to.

It was a good walk gonna do it again tomorrow gonna smash this election grab all the marginals.

Also amazing and worrying thought that so much of my politcal knowledge comes from this forum. Effortposts the best form of agitprop.

Ugh I post so little I forgot I had this garbage avatar. Need to correct that.
<<<

Hey snap me too, I just got back from the letter sort at the pub.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

GlyphGryph posted:

Aw man, those squirrels are adorable.

And yeah I think any sort of direct brain trauma is generally considered the most humane way to kill something.

There's no way making a squirrel read The Sun is humane

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

RockyB posted:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/dec/02/hugh-grant-i-want-to-do-my-bit-to-prevent-a-national-catastrophe

quote:

Hugh Grant has said he considered formally entering politics before the general election, but instead decided to campaign for people to vote tactically to prevent a Conservative majority to stop Brexit.

Speaking before he canvassed in Westminster with Chuka Umunna, who is standing there for the Liberal Democrats, the actor said he had decided his best role in the election was “banging the drum for tactical voting”.

:confused:

Am I being thick, but what precisely is 'tactical' about campaigning for a lib dem in a constituency where they placed third last election?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hugh Grant is also campaigning against IDS in Chingford so if he wants to give Chuka one last humiliation, I'm for it.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
Hugh Grant has already been Prime Minister so he has my vote. Very Prime Ministerial.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

How many grey squirrels would you have to actually kill before the red squirrels recovered their numbers? Isn't it more realistic to just accept that we have grey squirrels now, and move on

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It might be hugh grant's grasp of tactics.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm just assuming that Grant is accepting any Lib Dem request for help.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ugh, that reminds me that #TrollingTheGuardian is trending on twitter and it is, despite what I'd hoped, entirely full of nazi cunts making jokes about Diane Abbott and Owen Jones

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

How many grey squirrels would you have to actually kill before the red squirrels recovered their numbers? Isn't it more realistic to just accept that we have grey squirrels now, and move on
2.5m to completes eradicate greys nationwide although you can do stuff more localised. They can't really coexist, partly through competition but also because greys carry a pox virus that is highly deadly to reds.

Edit: or none. Aid the recovery of pine martins and they'll eat them for us.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 2, 2019

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Hi UKMT, I made a "game" - Election Night Bingo 2019

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/743265

Featuring thread-favourite jokes and a load of tossers to celebrate getting voted out. Hope you have fun playing along on Jezza's Big Day!

I lurk but this thread moves too fast for me so if something's broken or whatever sa.xaintrailles@gmail.com

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

SQuIRReL TruTHerINg :byodame:

quote:

According to some animal rights groups the grey squirrel is a victim of circumstance. They say it has been made a scapegoat for regional red squirrel population extinctions and claim that loss of the reds is caused entirely coincidentally by habitat change. They suggest the true facts are being hidden and scientific research being intentionally misinterpreted.

If so, then this conspiracy must extend to British legal provisions and EU directives both listing the grey squirrel as an invader to be controlled, right?

Well, no – put this argument to the test and you’ll see that the facts actually do stack up against the grey squirrel. The reality is that, while the grey squirrel is an important part of North American forest ecosystems, since being brought to Europe by the Victorians in 1876, the animal has had severe ecological and economic impacts on British woodlands.

Acrobatic and entertaining they may be, but the charge sheet against the grey squirrel is based on hundreds of peer-reviewed research papers. There really is no defence for it.

Greys vs red in Europe
Today there are approximately 2.5m grey squirrels in Britain, but less than 140,000 reds. Grey squirrels out-compete native reds for food and space. They also dig up and consume seed that red squirrels have buried as a winter store. This behaviour reduces red squirrel skeletal growth rates and adult size, and greatly depresses juvenile survival rates too.

In addition, greys harbour infections – including squirrel pox, which can devastate red squirrel populations. They elevate local viral and nematode infection rates, and bring in new parasites, such as Strongyloides robustus, which are picked up by red squirrels.

Occasionally a healthy red squirrel is found with squirrel pox antibodies – some researchers have suggested that this is evidence of them evolving resistance to the pox. Unfortunately, 63% of red squirrels dying from pox have also been found to have this antibody response present and there is no evidence that these antibodies confer immunity. Even if they did, research has also shown that antibodies are gone within 18 months and, irrespective of any resistance, red populations would be replaced by grey via competition anyway.

Woodland damage
Grey squirrels also damage and kill forest trees making it impossible for foresters to grow high-grade hardwood. This means such material is imported instead, bringing with it the risk of new tree pests and pathogens.

Tree damage is most frequently seen on the branches and trunks of oak, beech and maple; bark is stripped by squirrels eager to consume the the sap underneath. Tree stems break or die following stripping, which in turn leads to changes in the structure and species composition of high canopy in amenity woodlands.

Even songbirds are affected by grey squirrels. A recent study gave evidence of negative association between woodland songbird fledging rates and presence of grey squirrels – though it must be noted that this was not observed annually and only seen on some of the sites studied. Earlier studies didn’t find evidence to indicate greys affect bird population, but also didn’t exclude the possibility – even for bird species whose population is increasing overall.

Other animals may be affected by greys too: there has been some suggestion that squirrels compete with dormice for hazel nuts, though more research is needed to confirm the true impact.

Controlling greys
The Wildlife Trust has recently started to recruit 5,000 volunteers to monitor and control grey squirrel populations. However, a look beyond the headlines will reveal thousands of people are already legally trapping and shooting greys across the country to control their numbers. Volunteer groups cull 6,000 grey squirrels per year in the north of England, for example. Even in areas where reds are absent, locals control grey squirrels to protect woodlands or prevent damage to property. This is not some dramatic new approach by the Wildlife Trust, but is simply reinforcing an established national movement.

The eradication of greys from the Welsh isle of Anglesey saw red squirrel numbers increase from 40 to 700 and there are other examples of grey control halting or reversing red squirrel decline. Research has also demonstrated that red squirrels do not prefer conifer to broadleaved habitat and are just as happy in either.

Future control may involve giving the squirrels contraception, but will almost certainly not rely solely on this because of logistical barriers. The pine marten may assist in some landscapes too: one Irish study found a strong negative correlation between pine martens and greys in the woodlands studied. However, the use of trapping and shooting will inevitably continue as part of an integrated national approach.

And so the grey squirrel stands guilty as charged. Their presence has decimated the British countryside since they were introduced from North America, and if we do not continue to control the species, the future for red squirrels and woodland ecosystems will be bleak.
http://theconversation.com/grey-squirrels-are-bad-for-the-british-countryside-full-stop-75470

I had to check the file type on that just to make sure it wasn't a gif that twitches every 30 seconds.

And yup, whooooole lotta lovely racist takes going on in #TrollingTheGuardian

E: Yes, this is literally talking about sterilising the immigrants to protect the natives. No, not #TrollingTheGuardian. Well, probably that too let's be honest

RockyB fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 2, 2019

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Ugh, that reminds me that #TrollingTheGuardian is trending on twitter and it is, despite what I'd hoped, entirely full of nazi cunts making jokes about Diane Abbott and Owen Jones
I wouldn't worry about it. Just look at this effort, and then look at the responses.

https://twitter.com/OldRoberts953/status/1201602924922753024?s=20

The right doesn't have a sense of humour. They don't even know how to shitpost.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Xaintrailles posted:

Featuring thread-favourite jokes and a load of tossers to celebrate getting voted out. Hope you have fun playing along on Jezza's Big Day!

I lurk but this thread moves too fast for me so if something's broken or whatever sa.xaintrailles@gmail.com

Fuckin :laffo: at Chuckles' rosette

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Gorn Myson posted:

I wouldn't worry about it. Just look at this effort, and then look at the responses.

I don't get it. Why is a photoshop of a column trolling the guardian?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gorn Myson posted:

gently caress me, the replies. Burn the lot of them.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

mila kunis posted:

I don't get it. Why is a photoshop of a column trolling the guardian?

Gorn Myson posted:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/dec/02/jack-merritt-london-bridge-attack-dave-merritt

quote:

ving more than one pint with his mates. Oh, and in case you haven’t realised by now … he was also devilishly handsome.

But Jack was also angry, frustrated, selfless, stubborn. He was angry because he saw our society failing those most in need. He was frustrated because the political elite have forgotten why it is important to be fair. He was selfless in his dedication to make things right in every second of his life. Jack devoted his energy to the purpose of Learning Together: a pioneering programme to bring students from university and prisons together to share their unique perspectives on justice. Unlike many of us, Jack did not just go to work. He lived and breathed fire in his pursuit of a better world for all humanity, particularly those most in need.

If Jack could comment on his death – and the tragic incident on Friday 29 November – he would be livid. We would see him ticking it over in his mind before a word was uttered between us. Jack would understand the political timing with visceral clarity.

He would be seething at his death, and his life, being used to perpetuate an agenda of hate that he gave his everything fighting against. We should never forget that. What Jack would want from this is for all of us to walk through the door he has booted down, in his black Doc Martens.

That door opens up a world where we do not lock up and throw away the key. Where we do not give indeterminate sentences, or convict people on joint enterprise. Where we do not slash prison budgets, and where we focus on rehabilitation not revenge. Where we do not consistently undermine our public services, the lifeline of our nation. Jack believed in the inherent goodness of humanity, and felt a deep social responsibility to protect that. Through us all, Jack marches on.

Borrow his intelligence, share his drive, feel his passion, burn with his anger, and extinguish hatred with his kindness. Never give up his fight.

To Jack Merritt. Now, and forever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Don't bum tories that's how you make more of them.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Braggart posted:

I don't know if this is necessary, but I'd like to say something just in case it is. If he is berating you about these things then that can have a significant effect on your self-esteem and motivation. I speak as someone who was badly, badly hurt by my parents in this way. It's incredibly counter-productive, even if it's just an unspoken sense hanging over your relationship. I don't think it's your fault that you haven't held a consistent job any more than it is mine. You strike me as a creative, passionate person who has developed impressive skills* and is continuing to work hard at doing so. Just because no one is paying you for it doesn't mean that it's not worthwhile. In any case, art is criminally underpaid for all but the lucky few.

I've rambled on before about how I think a person's passions are far more important then whatever mundane bollocks people want them to do for a living. The current economy is spectacularly awful for finding a job that doesn't grind you into dust, and having mental health issues as you have mentioned makes it even harder. Please don't be too hard on yourself. I think you're a very impressive person. Your art is important.

* I was very impressed by your double-decker bus sketch. It was very simple, but it absolutely captured the idea of what a double-decker bus looks like, and your use of perspective was excellent. You have a serious talent, especially for composition. Don't let yourself forget that :)

I wouldn't say I work hard at art, my linework is incredibly sloppy, but it's good to know that it's left an impression on someone. I don't make a lot of political comics at the moment because I can't predict when inspiration will strike and sometimes I just have nothing.

For some reason inspiration has struck on one of the Fallout 3 LPs so I draw a lot there now.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Xaintrailles posted:

This is fantastic - so many great things - Johnson crowned with gammon, Chukka's rosette :discourse:

Gorn Myson posted:

This on the other hand is complete garbage fire trash.

Not suprising coming from Gareth Roberts - he's mostly minorly famous for wiriting Doctor Who stories (post cancellation books, and some episodes on the modern series), and a massive TERF. Also a loving Tory.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You aren't born knowing how to draw like that, I can't draw at all, that's a craft you've got and that you've got it is why you're able to be critical of it. It takes work to be able to do that.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Just finished listening to the manifesto podcast. Very good stuff, feeling particularly energised by the DWP stuff on a very personal level. Looking forward to an end to the hostile environment against welfare so I can have enough money to not feel like a constant drain on my wife's existence.

I know to the shitheaps in the comments section that this fuels the 'Labour for the lazy' stuff and that willing conflation between the sick and disabled, and those unwilling to work.

Speaking of which:

Azza Bamboo posted:

Seeing as I haven't held a consistent job in my life and have spent more of my adult life on benefits than in work and have lived in his house the whole time, I can see how I'm frustrating to him.
I think the worst thing is when people let their opinions slip when talking about people other than you. If it occurs to them that they're talking about someone in the exact same situation as you, then of course it's different with you. But those other people, they're just lazy, and you can't help but hear all of that and internalise it, because if you weren't family by accident of birth, you'd be right there getting poo poo on by them.

I grew up with this poo poo from my Dad as well, constantly having a go at his brother for being 'idle,' never 'wanting' a job and 'sponging' off welfare (this was long before Blair's reforms meant you had to account for your actions on jobseeker's).

It got so bad that we stopped talking to them and I grew up internalising this resentment over him apparently having Sky while we didn't. I grew up just not really talking to him or seeing him much, didn't even know where he lived or how to get in contact with him.

Then I grew up and what'd you know, spent most of my adult life unable to hold down a job. A lot of the traits I now understand to be part of the autism spectrum were there in him, and definitely in his daughter who my melt mam said they had 'had diagnosed with something' so they could claim extra payments.

He died a year or two ago. Wouldn't surprise me to find out it was down to stress from austerity, although Dad claimed he 'retired' from benefits when he was 50. It's weird to think of my dad disowning his own brother like that, weird also to think I have a cousin out there who is probably getting annihilated by austerity and I have no way of getting in contact with her.

It's left me with this fear that my own brothers see me the same way, so I feel like I have to be careful to not to talk about anything nice I have on social media, to always seem 'appropriately ashamed' of my situation I suppose. I doubt my older brother feels that way but I'm pretty sure my younger brother does.

Sins of the father and all that. Anyway. Tories delenda est.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

So Auntie Beeb are crossing a picket line for Radio 4 tomorrow

https://twitter.com/LauraPidcockMP/status/1201602432838578180

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Kick-rear end dad, kick-rear end son, tears on my face. gently caress boris and tories.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Gorn Myson posted:

I mean, it's not like the centre are much better

https://twitter.com/haveigotnews/status/1201627973297885191?s=20

Bingo card looking good, only thing I'd suggest is randomising the placements so we can have a proper thread play-along where someone gets to yell BINGO while being subsumed by floods of squirrel chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Azza Bamboo posted:

I wouldn't say I work hard at art, my linework is incredibly sloppy, but it's good to know that it's left an impression on someone. I don't make a lot of political comics at the moment because I can't predict when inspiration will strike and sometimes I just have nothing.

For some reason inspiration has struck on one of the Fallout 3 LPs so I draw a lot there now.

We are all our own worst critic, and we tend to focus on the parts that we are least happy with. I'm the same, but I've learned to try to give myself credit for what I am good at, as well as the advances I make, big and small.

Inspiration strikes when it strikes, and it can be highly unpredictable. I've learned not to try to force it when it won't come, because I find that's extremely hard work and ends up with an inferior product anyway. Do whatever takes your fancy, it's all good. I've had no inspiration for game programming lately, but it will come back :)