Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
For the same escalation:

I gassed Cassidy's house and went up the pipe out front, then went over to the Wilsons and did the same there. I then just ran around the outside of the block and had plenty of time in West's to, again, climb the front rainpipe and just waltz into her bedroom.

Is there a key for Cassidy's safe anywhere?

I didn't have to do any fancy navigation of the backyards, and fwiw I'm not sure it was intended that I would, given the neighborhood watch requirement and the rainpipe requirement.

All in all it didn't live up to the theft theme I was hoping for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Discendo Vox posted:

joats you're being amazingly petty. As others have mentioned, a bunch of the things you're complaining about were either a) changed because they were game-breaking, b) inaccurately described (we didn't used to have any indication of camera view), or c) highly subjective.

It's all opinions anyways. H2 is still a good game or I wouldn't be playing it.

It's just a lot of people in the H2 community are upset that Hitman season 1 recieved 2 years of constant updates up to the release of Seaons 2. It was recently announced that there would be no more support after a year even though there are obvious bugs that should be fixed with little effort. Having the god tier items locked behind a paywall, wasn't very fun. And having most of the new content that everyone here is shining about be old recycled season 1 content isn't very satisfying. Season 2 has had only 6 unique elusive targets so far and the last one is coming up this month. Even then, the "actual" new escalations from what I've played; It might just be my play style, but the majority are either badly put together, or just redundant. And correct, season 1 had a lot of changes for balance. Season 2 has had it's problems, but instead they have made contracts brain dead easy with multiple types of portable accidents and the kalmer exploit still intact.

That being said, I have no idea what issues are going on in their office and hope for the best with H3.

Edit: It just stings a bit that I am just getting really into the game and poo poo like the Sapienza suicide woman is always going to be in the game and gently caress up my runs even though it was discovered at release. Or the grave bug that is still in the game that has hosed up a contract for me. Like, wasting time trying to fix toilets could have been spent looking at these other issues. But I can accept the frustrating mess it will always be in now.
https://www.reddit.com/r/HiTMAN/comments/9mg8e2/ever_had_a_random_nontarget_kill_in_sapienza/
https://www.reddit.com/r/HiTMAN/comments/b6v0v2/funny_world_of_tomorrow_grave_bug/

joats fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 2, 2019

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Didn’t they go from being a company owned and funded by a bigger company to being independent and needing to fund themselves and handle business themselves during the release of hitman 2? That might potentially have to do with them needing to move on to more lucrative tasks than continuing to pump out free content for an already huge game.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

rotinaj posted:

Didn’t they go from being a company owned and funded by a bigger company to being independent and needing to fund themselves and handle business themselves during the release of hitman 2? That might potentially have to do with them needing to move on to more lucrative tasks than continuing to pump out free content for an already huge game.

It's not like they were always owned by square enix. IO is a 20 year old company that employs around 200 people. Square did give funding, but honestly breaking how sniping handles in an update as well as bare minimal bug fixing like the silver baller's steady aim mode not actually affecting aim. Or how fun it was to collect the cocain brick from hector delgado because it would break apart after knocking him out. I assume it used to work fine in an earlier version of the game. I guess doing the bare minimal bug fixing that a 10 person broke independent studio can do is beyond them because they feel like pumping out 40 suits is more important. But whatever they can't even release a game without it being a trainwreck of confusing purchase options, so actually not delivering on ghost mode mumbai promise was expected. Still a good game though.

joats fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 2, 2019

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

yeah suit models and bugfixes are definitely done by the same people and you absolutely know how game development works

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Dabir posted:

yeah suit models and bugfixes are definitely done by the same people and you absolutely know how game development works

Enlighten me on how budgeting works.
Nevermind enlighten me on how I can still get a contract failed body spotted 1 year after release while the leaving cutscene is playing.
There are so many bugs that were never fixed yet even adressed, that I think their whole coding team didn't take a second look at it. Having basic functions of the game remain broken is unacceptable.

joats fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 2, 2019

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

joats posted:

Enlighten me on how budgeting works.
Nevermind enlighten me on how I can still get a mission failed body spotted 1 year after release while the leaving cutscene is playing.
There are so many bugs that were never fixed yet even adressed, that I think their whole coding team didn't take a second look at it.

they dont want to fire the suit modelling guy bc they probably need him for hitman 3 but they also can't afford enough programmers to fix every single minor gameplay thing

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Farm Frenzy posted:

they dont want to fire the suit modelling guy but they also can't afford enough programmers to fix every single minor gameplay thing

Having the silverballer's steady aim mode do absolutely nothing is not a minor gameplay thing. It took me a while before I realized that it didn't do anything but make the reticle move. Having starting locations that instantly get compromised due to some weird buffering buildup is not a minor gamplay issue. It is frustrating as hell. Problably one of the reasons Hitman 2 wasn't successful. And all of these "minor things" really add up. You know, death by 1000 cuts. It just feels like they have had nobody working on these issues for the past year and have been stuck working with Season 1 developer tools to pump out fast and easy content that they don't even test.

joats fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 2, 2019

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

joats posted:

It's not like they were always owned by square enix. IO is a 20 year old company that employs around 200 people. Square did give funding, but honestly breaking how sniping handles in an update as well as bare minimal bug fixing like the silver baller's steady aim mode not actually affecting aim. Or how fun it was to collect the cocain brick from hector delgado because it would break apart after knocking him out. I assume it used to work fine in an earlier version of the game. I guess doing the bare minimal bug fixing that a 10 person broke independent studio can do is beyond them because they feel like pumping out 40 suits is more important. But whatever they can't even release a game without it being a trainwreck of confusing purchase options, so actually not delivering on ghost mode mumbai promise was expected. Still a good game though.
:allears:

Never stop keeping those pesky gamedevs honest, you're the real hero the industry needs lol

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Pilchenstein posted:

:allears:

Never stop keeping those pesky gamedevs honest, you're the real hero the industry needs lol

What about the mumbai ghost mode thing? A lot of people were looking forward to that. Sucks that it will never happen.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

joats posted:

What about the mumbai ghost mode thing? A lot of people were looking forward to that. Sucks that it will never happen.

No one's trying to say that Hitman 2 is a perfect game, and it's obvious that IO failed it in several ways. I would have liked a full ghost mode, I would have liked more ETs, etc etc. IO clearly chose to prioritize different things in their quest to make enough money to keep making games, so welp.

But the specific gameplay changes that you deride aren't problems for us, so uh, we'll have to agree to disagree?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

joats posted:

Problably one of the reasons Hitman 2 wasn't successful.

mate I have 100 hours in this game and had no idea what you are talking about, H2 was a flop because of marketing and legacy bad will from H1

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

StrixNebulosa posted:

IO clearly chose to prioritize different things in their quest to make enough money to keep making games, so welp.

But the specific gameplay changes that you deride aren't problems for us, so uh, we'll have to agree to disagree?

I agree to disagree, basic loving things that a 20 year experience developer shouldn't be doing like putting a "concealable" shotgun in the game that makes you insta spotted or suits not actually counting towards SO runs is loving unacceptable.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

mate I have 100 hours in this game and had no idea what you are talking about, H2 was a flop because of marketing and legacy bad will from H1

Mate I have 400 and yeah thats the major cause of the flop. But Hitman 2 can make for a frustrating experience in all aspects, the bugs that add up, the design decisions, how the game keeps crashing, how offline mode is garbage, how denuvo is still used. I don't know. I'm done airing out my grievances and I still really enjoy the game, just not going to pretend there is nothing wrong with it.

joats fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 2, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm really glad I don't give a poo poo about silent assassin

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I mean, I wouldn't mind seeing some actual numbers for Ghost Mode because I thought it was even less popular than the sniper maps and the general consensus for those seemed to be "this is poo poo and takes away dev time that would be better spent on regular maps" :v:

In any event, Ghost Mode was a pointless endeavour, literally no-one thought that the one thing missing from Hitman was PvP.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Pilchenstein posted:

I mean, I wouldn't mind seeing some actual numbers for Ghost Mode because I thought it was even less popular than the sniper maps and the general consensus for those seemed to be "this is poo poo and takes away dev time that would be better spent on regular maps" :v:

In any event, Ghost Mode was a pointless endeavour, literally no-one thought that the one thing missing from Hitman was PvP.

I want a full Ghost Mode so I can get the suit without winding up back in loving miami again. I love that map but not THAT much.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Ironically, given the nature of joats' complaints, if anything is an example of IOI mismanagement, it's loving ghost mode. "We're a sort-of indy developer with a popular but fairly niche game, what we should absolutely do is branch out into adding PvP for the first time ever because trying to make a traditionally single player game into all things for all people by tacking a competitive mode on has always worked historically".

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Pilchenstein posted:

Ironically, given the nature of joats' complaints, if anything is an example of IOI mismanagement, it's loving ghost mode. "We're a sort-of indy developer with a popular but fairly niche game, what we should absolutely do is branch out into adding PvP for the first time ever because trying to make a traditionally single player game into all things for all people by tacking a competitive mode on has always worked historically".

Same with sniper mode. I wish to hell that they'd put all of that time, money and people into focusing on polishing single player instead of these two weird half-baked extra modes that no one plays. I understand why they exist - if it's Hitman 2, they want more to advertise beyond "it has more maps", but also ughh they bit off more than they could chew.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
At least we can agree on that.

Ghost mode is fun though in the higher levels of play. They never fixed issues with it or developed it further so it ended up being a waste of resources.

EDIT: I'm more into the fighting for leaderboard spots type of play. Playing a contract 30 times just to remove 5 seconds. So my perspective on what is wrong with the game may be skewed just because I have to deal with it more often.

In fact some of the Top Speed Runners / routers in the community have joined together to release a contract pack today. I'll get the ID's later tonight. Right now we are doing a competitive escalation run for this week if you feel like going against other runners.

Competitive Escalation - Miami
Contract IDs : Part 1-3

PC:
(Part 1) 1 -11-1202221-05
(Part 2) 1-11-8150718-05
(Part 3) 1-11-2801587-05

PS4:
(Part 1) 2-11-1420666-65
(Part 2) 2-11-6633229-65
(Part 3) 2-11-3159890-65

XB1:
(Part 1) 3-11-7044670-00
(Part 2) 3-11-4217686-00
(Part 3) 3-11-4835717-00

joats fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 2, 2019

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i want ghost mode with randomised contract targets

random target
random weapon
random disguise

you don't have to match the weapon or disguise if you don't want to (or can't, for whatever reason) but you'll get less points. and if your opponent does it and you don't, they'll have more points by the end. unless you kill all your targets very fast and get your 5th while they're still on their 2nd? time management is also a thing

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Same with sniper mode. I wish to hell that they'd put all of that time, money and people into focusing on polishing single player instead of these two weird half-baked extra modes that no one plays. I understand why they exist - if it's Hitman 2, they want more to advertise beyond "it has more maps", but also ughh they bit off more than they could chew.
Sniper mode I'm less bothered by because it's still, at its heart, true to the game's core concept of "travel the world, killing dickheads" and I wouldn't be surprised if the maps are largely thrown together while the level designers/modellers have downtime from the main maps - only being viewed from one angle from far away probably makes them super cheap in terms of dev time.

Ghost mode is using existing maps but requires entirely new systems and mechanics and "balancing pvp" is a horrendous timesink and has tons of pitfalls that a dev team used to pve wouldn't spot. In the original version of ghost mode, for example, you could stall out games forever by just sprinting to the target and killing them in front of witnesses - you obviously didn't get a point but the target dying meant your opponent was left with 30 seconds to pull off an SA kill or they didn't score either.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pilchenstein posted:

I still think it'd be more fun if instead of two separate instances it's two hitmans trying to hit each other but each looks like npcs - and you lose if you're spotted doing it. Kinda like that rear end creed multiplayer from a while back

Basically this:

quote:

i want ghost mode with randomised contract targets

random target
random weapon
random disguise

But the target is player 2

e: I like sniper mode but I don't want to shoot like twenty guards every drat time

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 2, 2019

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah but you can just stall that out by standing near a crowd forever. If you had a list of tasks to complete it's better but then you've just reinvented Spy Party :v:

There's just no need to bludgeon a pvp mode into every game, really.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sniper mode needs accidents to not set off alerts, as it is they're completely worthless.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pilchenstein posted:

Yeah but you can just stall that out by standing near a crowd forever. If you had a list of tasks to complete it's better but then you've just reinvented Spy Party :v:

There's just no need to bludgeon a pvp mode into every game, really.

I'd also close it down to like, a floor of a building or something

But yeah basically just spy party except two people have sniper rifles :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
It would definitely be more consistent with the regular maps and make sniper mode more friendly for beginners but it's like that because the "proper" way to do sniper mode is set everything up and then do all 20 kills in a flurry of activity. Unlike the regular maps, your time bonus on sniper assassin only counts from the moment of your first kill. They should definitely change it if sniper mode returns in 3 because there's no harm in it.

A much more pressing issue is "you must complete each map 700 times on all three characters" to be fair :v:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pilchenstein posted:

It would definitely be more consistent with the regular maps and make sniper mode more friendly for beginners but it's like that because the "proper" way to do sniper mode is set everything up and then do all 20 kills in a flurry of activity. Unlike the regular maps, your time bonus on sniper assassin only counts from the moment of your first kill. They should definitely change it if sniper mode returns in 3 because there's no harm in it.

A much more pressing issue is "you must complete each map 700 times on all three characters" to be fair :v:

you what

also no, you don't, the only thing you get from mastery in sniper mode is a slightly easier time in that specific sniper map. the only one I'd even consider grinding is Siberia as 47 to get the rifle.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Obviously I'm only talking about completionists, I haven't bothered finishing a single xp track on any of the characters on any level because gently caress that noise but some people feel compelled to do it all :v:

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Co-op should be a thing. There's no real reason why it isn't and it would be hilarious to have two hitman characters exploiting the NPC ai at the same time.

All you would need is some sort of spot/marking mechanic and it would be a ton of fun.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q4eW3UzXfU
This is the current high score on Siberia (or at least, this guy still has the high score). He played it enough to figure out how to do all that and he still only had 16 mastery.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Co-op on the regular maps would be great, especially if it was Knight and Stone again so each player had access to a different set of disguises, but it'd be a mountain of work - I bet the level scripting is a nightmare now, I dread to think how many bugs there'd be if you had to account for two idiots blundering about triggering events :v:

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I have 222 hours in the game and haven't encountered those specific bugs either...

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Goa Tse-tung posted:

What legacy bad will from Hitman 1? Maybe I’m in a bubble of Giant Bomb loving both games for being insane sandboxes of murder, but I was under the impression that Hitman 1 was kickass, seeing as I played a bunch of it. What did people get mad about?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Some people shot their way through the levels once each and then got mad that the game was so short.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

rotinaj posted:

What legacy bad will from Hitman 1? Maybe I’m in a bubble of Giant Bomb loving both games for being insane sandboxes of murder, but I was under the impression that Hitman 1 was kickass, seeing as I played a bunch of it. What did people get mad about?

People were fuming about the episodic structure, but I thought they did it very well :shrug:

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

rotinaj posted:

As many people as liked the the delayed way the maps came out, it also rubbed people the wrong way

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

I feel like Hitman 2016 was a tiny bit ahead of its time with the games-as-service model and weirded people out, but by the time Hitman 2 came out everybody and their mother knows Fortnite and Overwatch-style content release calendars and doesn't think IOI is keeping up with their expectations. Anyways, I only recently learned that the Hitman series isn't raking in AAA levels of cash because all the games-journalism coverage I had seen of it has been gushing and the levels have a lot of polish so I assumed the recent games were kind of a big deal.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Hitman 2016 also (justifiably) took a lot of crap for the always-online requirement in what's essentially a single-player game. I honestly give zero shits for the contracts, and I've never intentionally looked at the leaderboards. The only reason I even remember Ghost Mode exists is because I'm too lazy to get that suit out of it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jesus christ Sniper mode. 5m to get from 16 to 17, ok, that's quite a bit. 8m to get from 17 to 18. Is this a joke?

e: ELEVEN loving MILLION from 18 to 19

Dabir fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
joats rise up

Seriously you're sounding like an entitled rear end. It is bizarre watching you complain about Sniper Gamefeel.

Yes, as I mentioned previously, the reason we've been getting these stumps of ghost and sniper modes is that IOI used Hitman 2 to build out some of the underlying architecture for a co-op mode that will likely appear in a sequel or other IOI game on Glacier 2.

Hitman 2 appears to have done fine financially, unless someone's thinking of that euro sales report that was debunked like 8 months ago.

Dabir posted:

Jesus christ Sniper mode. 5m to get from 16 to 17, ok, that's quite a bit. 8m to get from 17 to 18. Is this a joke?

e: ELEVEN loving MILLION from 18 to 19

And two separate, additional progression curves for Stone and Knight.