Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

NFX posted:

I miswrote, the Danish name is "kvist" (a "kip" is when the ceiling follows the roof and meets in a point). The English "dormer" comes from the word for sleeping (since it was used in sleeping rooms), and it seems to me that the French word is related to light (although that's a pure guess).

Kvist (dormer) and kvist (thin tree-branch) come from to Old Norse kvistr meaning "split in twain" according to the DDO dictionary.

The older ODS dictionary even has tagkvist which it says is rarely used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

NFX posted:

I miswrote, the Danish name is "kvist" (a "kip" is when the ceiling follows the roof and meets in a point). The English "dormer" comes from the word for sleeping (since it was used in sleeping rooms), and it seems to me that the French word is related to light (although that's a pure guess).

It's apparently derived from a Germanic word, the ressemblance to the Latin for "light" is misleading:

quote:

From Middle French lucarne, luquarme, from Old French lucanne (“opening in the roof of a house, skylight, loft”), from Frankish *lūkinna (“opening closed by a valve, flap”), from Proto-Germanic *lūkinjō (“aperture, window”), from *lūkaną (“to lock, turn”), from Proto-Indo-European *lewg- (“to bend, turn”). Cognate with Middle Low German lūke (“skylight, window”), Dutch luik (“trap door, shutter”), German Luke (“hatch, hatchway, skylight”).

It's distantly related to "lock" (as in gates in a canal). Etymology is neat.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

NFX posted:

You can just google it https://www.google.com/search?q=lucarne+%C3%A9tymologie&oq=lucarne+%C3%A9tymologie&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.5688j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

It comes from a frankish word cognate with "lock," later confused with the latin word for light to produce the modern word.

Conveniently, a pretty good demonstration of how english isn't unique in being from this language family but having words from that one. Imagine, a country in western Europe using a bunch of latin words and a bunch of german words. There's definitely only one. We have such crazy accents in this language I'm referring to.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 09:48 on Dec 2, 2019

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
This has been a good few pages.
Anyway, here's a question- what's the most obnoxious folk etymology you've ever encountered? I remember reading, in an actual book, that the phrase "shut your face" clearly dates back to the medieval period and refers to the visors on knight's helmets.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Krankenstyle posted:

Kvist (dormer) and kvist (thin tree-branch) come from to Old Norse kvistr meaning "split in twain" according to the DDO dictionary.

The older ODS dictionary even has tagkvist which it says is rarely used.

Takkvist is actually something we use in my local Swedish dialect for dormer.

Kassad posted:

It's apparently derived from a Germanic word, the ressemblance to the Latin for "light" is misleading:

It's distantly related to "lock" (as in gates in a canal). Etymology is neat.

In swedish the word for hatch has the same root and is called "lucka".

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

,,Loka" is Old Norse/Icelandic for "close"(as in shut not as in nearby) and ,,Lok" means "lid".

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

have we covered the whole Dispater/Eu Pater/Jupiter & Divvus/Zeus angle yet

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
So that's where the Dungeons and Dragons god comes from.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

Anyway, here's a question- what's the most obnoxious folk etymology you've ever encountered? I remember reading, in an actual book, that the phrase "shut your face" clearly dates back to the medieval period and refers to the visors on knight's helmets.

The entire literary output of Bill Bryson.

Specifically, though, that god drat Fornication Under Consent of King bullshit because no-one I've heard talk about it in IRL life has been able to do so without being extremely inthefacepunchable.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I just need to stan for the etymology of lucarne here:

its origin is lock-but-in-frankish meaning like a screw, but also lucerna which was the local latin for a lamp. They got crossed by idiots arguing about etymology and now there's the french word for a sort of window.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
to be fair, French language is allowed to borrow from Frankish.

So it's a sleeping room window, a hatch, a twig, an outcropping, a small vent (Spanish) or the color of an abbot's dress (Italian).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Former DILF posted:

I believe I mentioned a couple years ago either here or in the stuff you figured out thread :)

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

NFX posted:

to be fair, French language is allowed to borrow from Frankish.

So it's a sleeping room window, a hatch, a twig, an outcropping, a small vent (Spanish) or the color of an abbot's dress (Italian).

And Frankish was a Germanic language as the Franks were a Germanic tribe, so French is the most Germanic of the romance languages with about 20% of modern French words having Germanic roots.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Helith posted:

And Frankish was a Germanic language as the Franks were a Germanic tribe, so French is the most Germanic of the romance languages with about 20% of modern French words having Germanic roots.

Does that include the english loan words that are also germanic?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

It gets a bit complicated, but yeah for some words there could be 2 routes into English, straight from Germanic or from Germanic via Frankish and old French into English.
I'm going off what I can remember from the History of English podcast, so if anyone more knowledgeable wants to jump in and correct and expand, please do.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Tree Bucket posted:

That the indigenous people of the Americas were not called Indians because Columbus was an idiot who couldn’t navigate out of a wet paper bag, but because he thought they were a people in god, or in Dios.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tashilicious posted:

Does that include the english loan words that are also germanic?

Generally that's separated out and listed as english origins. Similar to how in english word-origin we separate norman french derivatives from latin derivatives.

(foreign words in modern french, key in order, english, italian, old germanic, non-french gallic romance, arabic, celtic, spanish, dutch, german, other)

The top positions are kinda questionable because like in english, modern communication methods mean people have a much easier time of just adopting foreign words wholesale instead of them coming into the language "naturally" so assholes can argue for days about whether "parking" is an actual french word (Le terme est déconseillé par l'Académie française qui recommande l'usage de « parc de stationnement », il est également déconseillé par l'Office québécois de la langue française, qui recommande « stationnement », « aire de stationnement », « zone de stationnement » ou encore « parc de stationnement ».)

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 18:37 on Dec 2, 2019

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Tree Bucket posted:

quote:

LIFE IN THE 1500'S
The next time you are washing your hands and complain because the water temperature isn't just how you like it, think about how things used to be. Here are some facts about the1500s

Most people got married in June because they took their yearly bath in May, and still smelled pretty good by June. However, they were starting ! to smell, so brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide the body odor. Hence the custom today of carrying a bouquet when getting married.

Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water. The man of the house had the privilege of the nice clean water, then all the other sons and men, then the women and finally the children Last of all the babies. By then the water was so dirty you could actually lose someone in it. Hence the saying, "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water."

Houses had thatched roofs-thick straw-piled high,with no wood underneath. It was the only place for animals to get warm, so all the cats and other small animals (mice, bugs) lived! in the roof. When it rained it became slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and off the roof. Hence the saying "It's raining cats and dogs."

There was nothing to stop things from falling into the house. This posed a real problem in the bedroom where bugs and other droppings could mess up your nice clean bed. Hence, a bed with big posts and a sheet hung over the top afforded some protection. That's how canopy beds came into existence.

The floor was dirt. Only the wealthy had something other than dirt. Hence the saying "dirt poor." The wealthy had slate floors that would get slippery in the winter when wet , so they spread thresh (straw) on floor to help keep their footing. As the winter wore on, they added more thresh, until when you opened the door it would all start slipping outside. A piece of wood was placed in the entranceway. Hence the saying a "thresh hold."

In those old days, they cooked in the kitchen with a big kettle that always hung over the fire. Every day they lit the fire and added things to the pot. They ate mostly vegetables and did not get much meat. They would eat the stew for dinner, leaving leftovers in the pot to get cold overnight and then start over the next day. Sometimes stew had food in it that had been there for quite a while. Hence the rhyme, "Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old."

Sometimes they could obtain pork, which made them feel quite special. When visitors came over, they would hang up their bacon to show off. It was a sign of wealth that a man could "bring home the bacon." They would cut off a little to share with guests and would all sit around and "chew the fat."

Those with money had plates made of pewter. Food with high acid content caused some of the lead to leach onto the food, causing lead poisoning death. This happened most often with tomatoes, so for the next 400 years or so, tomatoes were considered poisonous.

Bread was divided according to status. Workers got the burnt bottom of the loaf, the family got the middle, and guests got the top, or "upper crust."

Lead cups were used to drink ale or whisky. The combination would sometimes knock the imbibers out for a couple of days. Someone walking along the road would take them for dead and prepare them for burial. They were laid out on the kitchen table for a couple of days and the family would gather around and eat and drink and wait and see if they would wake up. Hence the custom of holding a "wake."

England is old and small and the local folks started running out of places to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and would take the bones to a "bone-house" and reuse the grave. When reopening these coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on the inside and they realized they had been burying people alive. So they would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell. Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night (the "graveyard shift") to listen for the bell; thus, someone could be "saved by the bell" or was considered a "dead ringer."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This caused a visceral reaction in me.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:supaburn:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Jesus I hate it

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

For the most part people just pissed wherever they were. This is one reason theaters handed out fruits or vegetables with a rind to theatergoers; it soaked up all the piss when they just threw the rind on the ground.

Piss was also used in leather tanning. This is why the phrase "piss poor" exists. You could sell you piss to the tannery for a pittance. Most people wouldn't bother as it probably wasn't worth the walk and who the hell wants to deliberately save their piss? This is also why "can't even afford a pot to piss in" is a thing; it meant that you were so poor you'd normally sell your piss but you couldn't even afford the tools to do that.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

"England is old and small" for thread title

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

That is some Calvin's dad level of horseshit.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

I first saw this as a FW:FW:FW:LIFE IN THE 1500‘S sort of text somewhen during the mid-to-late aughts (though I suppose it’s quite a bit older) and it’s had a special place of hate in my heart ever since :v:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The popular word for cell phones in German is "Handy", which German teachers *insist* is the English word for cell phone and not proper German.

It's short for Handfunktelefon stop snickering

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Former DILF posted:

Stuff regarding the hypothetical root Indo-European religion can be wild, as well as stuff like the Horned God and the Triple Goddess

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

System Metternich posted:

I first saw this as a FW:FW:FW:LIFE IN THE 1500‘S sort of text somewhen during the mid-to-late aughts (though I suppose it’s quite a bit older) and it’s had a special place of hate in my heart ever since :v:

My English lit teacher in highschool printed that exact list off for us to "prepare" us to read Macbeth. I would've called him on it but he was also okay with me sleeping in class everyday as long as I turned in the packets, so in the end he was a force of good

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Alhazred posted:

A fun thing Asterix and Obelix does. This is how Vercingetorix surrendered in the first panel of the series:

But when Caesar tells the story it looks a bit different:

According to Uderzo, when Rene Goscinny had the first idea for what would become Asterix, this was the key joke. French school history lessons spent an inordinate amount of time on the nobility and pastoral idyll of "our ancestors the Gauls" and De Bello Gallico, so they took the great historical image of Vercingetorix surrendering and took the piss out of it.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Has the german word "Biwak" (EN: "Bivouac shelter") been mentioned yet? It's a loan word from the french "Bivouak" which is a loan word from the german "Beiwache" (~"secondary guard", like a small temporary shelter next to a main guard hall). Somewhere, the dutch were involved.

Btw: please do not confuse "dutch" with "deutsch" on the internet. Thank you.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

My favorite weird etymology is the norwegian saying "there's owls in the moss" which means that something is suspect. This saying is a mistranslation of a danish saying "there's wolves in the marsh" which makes a lot more sense.

I've also read that pussy as a word for the female genitalia doesn't have anything do with cats but comes from the norse word pūss which means pocket.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Alhazred posted:

My favorite weird etymology is the norwegian saying "there's owls in the moss" which means that something is suspect. This saying is a mistranslation of a danish saying "there's wolves in the marsh" which makes a lot more sense.

I've also read that pussy as a word for the female genitalia doesn't have anything do with cats but comes from the norse word pūss which means pocket.

Swedish arbetsmyra -> Finnish työmyyrä. Ant becomes mole!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Wipfmetz posted:

It's like elves. You have Forest Germans (Germans), Mountain Germans (Swiss, Austrians), Swamp Germans (Dutch), and Frost Germans (Scandinavian).

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Don't forget the Finance Germans (Luxembourg)

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

canyoneer posted:

It's like elves. You have Forest Germans (Germans), Mountain Germans (Swiss, Austrians), Swamp Germans (Dutch), and Frost Germans (Scandinavian).

Where does that leave the Danes?

edit:
By which I mean, it seems that Danes are swamp-Germans, but also Scandinavians?

edit 2:
...and northern-Germany, esp. Ost-Friesland seems very swampy too!

DONT TOUCH THE PC has a new favorite as of 18:26 on Dec 3, 2019

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Wipfmetz posted:

Has the german word "Biwak" (EN: "Bivouac shelter") been mentioned yet? It's a loan word from the french "Bivouak" which is a loan word from the german "Beiwache" (~"secondary guard", like a small temporary shelter next to a main guard hall). Somewhere, the dutch were involved.

I never knew that, that’s cool! The same thing happened with "boulevard", which originally came into French from the German "Bollwerk" (=fortress, cf. English "bulwark"), then slowly changed its meaning from "fortress" to "rampart" to "pathway on top of the rampart" to "wide road surrounding a city" to "wide and well-paved road" and re-entered German as such again

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

edit:

:argh:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

edit:

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

edit:

edit 2:
...and northern-Germany, esp. Ost-Friesland seems very swampy too!

Yogurt Germans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Danes are Racism Germans. Alternatively Flatland Germans